Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I have an iPhone too and the ATT 450 minute plan is about $90 with unlimited internet and email only. This does "not" include unlimited mobile to mobile with every carrier like Sprints and nights start at 9pm not 7pm like Sprints.

It also does "not" include sms/mms so add another $20 for unlimited sms/mms and it does "not" include GSP navigation so add another $10 for unlimited ATT GPS navigation to match Sprints package. So were at $120 before misc tax and fees.

I get all the above on my Pre with Sprints 450 unlimited plan for $69 before tax and misc fees.
    Rkkeller you do not pay 90$ a month for only the data plan. You have the 450 minutes for 39.99 and you have teh required data plan for 30. Thats only 70 bro. Dont try to BS me about the amount you pay I worked for AT&T and I've had an iphone. For Unlimited text data and 450 minutes its 90+ taxes. The 7pm early nights is 8.99 and the navigation is 10$ a month. So thats pretty much 109 before taxes. Not 120+ taxes.
    Although I've had a "New Every Two" burning a whole in my pocket for almost two years, I am going to try and resist the urge to be a Droid early adopter. I figure the Droid has certainly raised the bar for smartphones, but I should at least give Palm (and others) a chance to jump over that new bar. But the clock is ticking Palm! I'm not sure Palm can ever jump over that bar with the Pre. Wouldn't now be a great time to announce the Pre II?
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Isn't this suppose to be a phone vs phone topic? At the end of the day, it's becoming a carrier vs carrier.
    Quote Originally Posted by DRKayak View Post
    The Droid looks like it will give the Pre and iPhone serious competition. I am a Verizon customer (it is the network), Centro user waiting for the Pre, but the Droid sure looks like it could meet my needs. And with Google backing for apps, this could be the phone of the future.

Talk me out of this thinking.
    I'm in the same boat with you. I've done a lot of Droid research recently. Droid undeniably has a whole lot of PROS but let me give you some of the CONS.

1. Even though Android has more apps than WebOS, many of those apps are primitive. The problem is that most of those apps were developed for Android 1.0 (Cupcake) which was underpowered, especially in the music and audio areas. Android 1.6 (Donut) only dropped less than two months ago, and Android 2.0 (Eclair) only dropped two days ago. It's going to take a while for developers to take advantage of all the new features. And from what I can tell Android STILL has a ways to go in the music and audio departments. So you'll still be wishing for 2.5 (Flan) or 3.0 (Gingerbread) to drop and really take advantage of the Droid's hardware.

2. You won't be able to run apps from your SD card like you can on your Centro. Only Palm OS lets you do that. (Of course the Pre doesn't even HAVE an SD card. But maybe the Pre 2 will be announced soon. Who knows? Not me!) But on the Droid you'll likely be limited to under 20 apps in the somewhat skimpy 256 megs of RAM they've alloted for apps.

3. That Droid is going to be kind of awkward to carry around on your belt or in your pocket. Some people think its pretty ugly too. I don't care what it looks like but I do care how it FEELS at my ear, in my hand, in my pocket or on my belt. The Pre definitely wins that battle.

4. Okay maybe Palm just got sucker punched by Google, but let's give Palm a chance to recover. Maybe Google just knocked some SENSE into them and they'll respond by totally opening up the OS and allowing developers unfettered access to the hardware. (Which Android already does.) Palm may be on the mat, but let's not count them out just yet. I'm going to give them at least until January to regain their bearings and get back into this fight.
    I didn't realize this-

Does it has multi-touch?
    and the response:
    Only for the keyboard, nothing else.

Motorola DROID (Tao, Sholes): Checking out the Droid tomorrow, hit me up with your questions! - gdgt
    I think he meant it that out-of-the-box, only the keyboard utilized multitouch. The Eclair 2.0 SDK does allow developers to implement multitouch into their apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandStone View Post
    I think he meant it that out-of-the-box, only the keyboard utilized multitouch. The Eclair 2.0 SDK does allow developers to implement multitouch into their apps.
    Ah, thanks for the clarification. Even still, no multitouch built into the browser? The browser is where I use the pinch zoom most, though I guess I do use the double-tap zoom pretty often in the browser as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Ah, thanks for the clarification. Even still, no multitouch built into the browser? The browser is where I use the pinch zoom most, though I guess I do use the double-tap zoom pretty often in the browser as well.
    Apple intimidated Google out of putting pinch zoom into the browser. But like I said, 3rd party apps have the ability to use whatever kind of multitouch gestures they want.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12