Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1.    #1  
    With the release of android 2.0 & droid coming up what are your thoughts on the overall market picture?

    We all know the iphone is #1 we may not like to admit it but it is.
    Phones being released are still trying to catch up to it and they have not been able to.

    Android 2.0 is incorporating features that separated webos from other phones and adding features that are nowhere near within webos reach.

    I personally dont see how palm can compete with such beasts at the top.

    Both platforms have thriving stores and features. Palm have a lucrative app store and the phone is missing many breakthough features found in other phones.

    Do you see palm recovering from this assault? Personally I dont think they can hang.
  2. kamalot's Avatar
    Posts
    194 Posts
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    #2  
    Palm's synergy is a killer app for me. It consolidates everyone I know into one place. Until the competition does synergy as well as my pre, they can have their fancy devices.

    I use my Pre not as a media player, and not to hack as an enthusiast. I use my Pre to keep in touch and conduct business.

    Palm does not need to be the #1 maker in the smartphone business for it to be a success.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by gnove View Post
    With the release of android 2.0 & droid coming up what are your thoughts on the overall market picture?

    We all know the iphone is #1 we may not like to admit it but it is.
    Phones being released are still trying to catch up to it and they have not been able to.

    Android 2.0 is incorporating features that separated webos from other phones and adding features that are nowhere near within webos reach.

    I personally dont see how palm can compete with such beasts at the top.

    Both platforms have thriving stores and features. Palm have a lucrative app store and the phone is missing many breakthough features found in other phones.

    Do you see palm recovering from this assault? Personally I dont think they can hang.
    There is more than enough room for Palm in this mix. This has been discussed numerous times, some with virtually the same thread title as yours. Did you look at any of the related threads after you typed in the title? IMO, Palm is going to encroach on Blackberry's marketshare more than Android and iPhone's.
  4. #4  
    Well, it really depends which reporting agency on who is first place... AdMob, who serves ads nearly exclusively to iPhones and iPod touches report near 60%-70% current market as Apple based.

    Other reporting agencies find Apple to be near 10%-25%, Symbian way on top, followed by Blackberry, Android, ect.

    I think that it'll be hard for Palm to pull out on top, they're defiantly capable, but they'd have to really serve their customers and take many more chances than they currently do.
  5. #5  
    IMHO Android Phones and the Iphone are more "toys" and "Gadgets" then either Blackberry or Palm were ever intended to be. Like it or not, palm and RIM are more dedicated to business than the everyday consumer. WebOS is a step in that direction but if you look at it from launch it hasn't been super entertainment oriented (aside from itunes of course.) There will be upgrades, there will be more devices, and palm will thrive. If you ask if we all think webos will be number 1 the answer is an obvious no, but for everyone to ask if their is room to compete look at how many car, beer, shoe, tv, computer, etc... manufacturers there out there. Smartphones are more akin to those products than their desktop counterparts nowadays. There's room. Take a breath, relax. We will all get through this.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by gnove View Post
    With the release of android 2.0 & droid coming up what are your thoughts on the overall market picture?

    We all know the iphone is #1 we may not like to admit it but it is.
    Phones being released are still trying to catch up to it and they have not been able to.

    Android 2.0 is incorporating features that separated webos from other phones and adding features that are nowhere near within webos reach.

    I personally dont see how palm can compete with such beasts at the top.

    Both platforms have thriving stores and features. Palm have a lucrative app store and the phone is missing many breakthough features found in other phones.

    Do you see palm recovering from this assault? Personally I dont think they can hang.
    Personally I dont think android is all its hyped up to be... The phone does not run really smooth and the browser is horrible compared to the pre... I believe we can run with android if updates are not few and far apart.. Where they do have a leg up is with their sdk because ours is crippled and is one reason why our apps just dont come out as good.. I love our webos though and feel as if it can be compared with all the competition.. We just need palm to add all the patches... It will take time of corse though..

    Now apple's Iphone on the other hand is a beast and we cant deny it... And if they update their OS with multitaking etc which may be in the works smartphones are in trouble.. Thats why I dont think its a good idea for them to promote the droid as a Iphone killer because if it doesnt live up to it verizon is going to look silly just as they did last year with the blackberry storm... FAIL!
  7. #7  
    First let me say that I love my pre and actually picked up a Hero and returned it the next day back for the pre. But lets face it the Android platform is the next big thing. I hope WebOs is able to compete but at this point it seems like the battle will be between the 3 big ones (iphone/blackbery/android)
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    First let me say that I love my pre and actually picked up a Hero and returned it the next day back for the pre. But lets face it the Android platform is the next big thing. I hope WebOs is able to compete but at this point it seems like the battle will be between the 3 big ones (iphone/blackbery/android)
    Yeah I forgot about blackberry.... Definately a good business phone as long as they dont put out more buggy phones like the first storm.. I had the hero as well and was not impressed. I do like the widgets and app store when it comes to android though.. Cons for me about the hero was the on screen keyboard yuk and the browser wasent very good... Its also really choppy at times.. I want to see what the droid has to offer...
  9. Leke's Avatar
    Posts
    597 Posts
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    #9  
    Won't lie Droid 2.0 is a killa, but the UI is still fugly....Just the Bluetooth API alone is a banger with gaming...
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by xome1983 View Post
    IMHO Android Phones and the Iphone are more "toys" and "Gadgets" then either Blackberry or Palm were ever intended to be. Like it or not, palm and RIM are more dedicated to business than the everyday consumer. WebOS is a step in that direction but if you look at it from launch it hasn't been super entertainment oriented (aside from itunes of course.) There will be upgrades, there will be more devices, and palm will thrive. If you ask if we all think webos will be number 1 the answer is an obvious no, but for everyone to ask if their is room to compete look at how many car, beer, shoe, tv, computer, etc... manufacturers there out there. Smartphones are more akin to those products than their desktop counterparts nowadays. There's room. Take a breath, relax. We will all get through this.
    Please tell how the Pre is any more business oriented than an iPhone. On an iPhone I can get my corporate email, connect via encrypted VPN and browse my internal intranet, run enterprise class database applications (that do not exist on WebOS), run my basecamp app for all my project management needs, run expense and time tracking applications that interact with my desktop component, etc.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by gnove View Post
    With the release of android 2.0 & droid coming up what are your thoughts on the overall market picture?

    We all know the iphone is #1 we may not like to admit it but it is.
    Phones being released are still trying to catch up to it and they have not been able to.

    Android 2.0 is incorporating features that separated webos from other phones and adding features that are nowhere near within webos reach.

    I personally dont see how palm can compete with such beasts at the top.

    Both platforms have thriving stores and features. Palm have a lucrative app store and the phone is missing many breakthough features found in other phones.

    Do you see palm recovering from this assault? Personally I dont think they can hang.
    It takes time to develop a platform. I think that's obvious, since the iPhone took over two years and three full versions to become a truly functional device, and Android has required 18 months or so and two full versions to come even close to the same point. And that's Apple and Google, very large companies with $billions in cash to spend. I won't even mention Microsoft and Windows Mobile...

    Does Palm have that much time to develop WebOS and the devices based on it? I really don't know. I don't know Palm's finances, I don't know what's in their development pipeline, I don't even know precisely how many Pre have been sold and what the current run rate is. In short, I just don't know enough to make a rational (or reliable) prediction.

    If I were forced to make a guess, I'd say, yes, Palm will survive. I think that the missing pieces to the SDK and core OS will be released soon enough to allow for the kinds of apps we're all missing. I think Palm will settle into third or fourth place in a market that's growing, meaning that even if they maintain their 7% market share they'll grow significantly. But, I just don't know.

    What I do know is that I hope Palm does survive. I don't like the iPhone as it stands, and I can't stand how Apple can be so darn successful making devices that are inherently flawed, limited, and expensive. More power to them, of course, but it drives me nuts. And I like Android even less--I find Google products to be simplistic and anachronistic (how _can_ people use Gmail?), and they survive mainly because they generate so darn much cash from search that they can blow through initial horrible product releases.

    WebOS, on the other hand, has an elegance and flow that's just a pleasure to use. The core apps are limited, but their limitations are all fixable. I do love the multitasking, notifications system, and Synergy. And I simply don't care if the device never plays advanced 3D games--I think that card is way overplayed.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by kamalot View Post
    Palm's synergy is a killer app for me. It consolidates everyone I know into one place. Until the competition does synergy as well as my pre, they can have their fancy devices.

    I use my Pre not as a media player, and not to hack as an enthusiast. I use my Pre to keep in touch and conduct business.

    Palm does not need to be the #1 maker in the smartphone business for it to be a success.
    I haven't tried the Droid myself, but the Android 2.0 version of "synergy", looks a whole lot better than the Palm version of synergy.
  13. #13  
    Please tell how the Pre is any more business oriented than an iPhone. On an iPhone I can get my corporate email, connect via encrypted VPN and browse my internal intranet, run enterprise class database applications (that do not exist on WebOS), run my basecamp app for all my project management needs, run expense and time tracking applications that interact with my desktop component, etc.
    Yes, but the iphone is promoted as a "toy" more than as a business device.

    I've never seen an iphone commercial that says get your corporate email, connect via encrypted VPN and browse an internal intranet, run enterprise class database applications (that do not exist on WebOS), run a basecamp app for all your project management needs, run expense and time tracking applications that interact with your desktop component, etc... there's an app for that. It's all about, learning to read? There's an app, like to read there's an app? Eat french food? There's an app. Wanna find a skate park? There's an app... do you see where I'm going with this? The iphone has the capabilities you cannot deny that, (to try would be stupid) but you also have to admit it's the mass market super consumerism smart phone. It's a toy, it's a gadget, it's quite capable but it's still a toy.
  14. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #14  
    I think Palm will survive but it's going to be a distance 4th place - the pre helped them maintain market share but didn't increase it a jot. Android is going to eat it alive over the next 12 months, too many devices on too many carriers with too much money.

    I know in the US, you get navigation software with your devices throw in but that's not the case in other places. The fact that google can simply throw money at android and provide it as a free app shows the sort of muscle they have.

    Can palm catch up with iphone/blackberry is the wrong question - can palm outpace android is the right one.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by xome1983 View Post
    Yes, but the iphone is promoted as a "toy" more than as a business device.

    I've never seen an iphone commercial that says get your corporate email, connect via encrypted VPN and browse an internal intranet, run enterprise class database applications (that do not exist on WebOS), run a basecamp app for all your project management needs, run expense and time tracking applications that interact with your desktop component, etc... there's an app for that.
    What you don't realize is they don't NEED to run such a commercial. By becoming ubiquitous by appealing to everything ELSE a person would do, they create a huge userbase that will be catered to by such business class apps ANYWAY.

    And they have a small business-oriented "There's an app for that" commercial as well.
  16. stockh's Avatar
    Posts
    401 Posts
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    #16  
    I still think the WebOS UI is still strong enough to be a good alternative to either the iphone or Android OS. The way it handles multitasking is very cool.

    Keep in mind Palm has only 1 handset on 1 carrier and was able to stabilize their marketshare. The release of Pixi and expansion of their devices on other carriers will only increase.

    Another thing to watch is WebOs is not smartphone specific. WebOS can and most likely will be seen on other internet devices.

    The way I see things playing out in the next 6 months are:

    Android and Palm increase marketshare
    Iphone marketshare slows but opens up to other carriers
    Rimm losses marketshare

Posting Permissions