Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41
  1.    #1  
    I was on engadget and noticed this and was blown away by some of the features. Watch the video for the full scoop. This phone looks awesome. I am really debating over this and the hero. I just don't want to jump ship to Verizon. Decisions, Decisions.

    http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/28/m...irst-hands-on/

    The new google maps navigation software. Exclusive to Android 2.0.

    Google Navigation video hands-on: you want this
    Last edited by THETRUTH; 10/28/2009 at 01:15 PM.
  2. jayzun's Avatar
    Posts
    192 Posts
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    #2  
    Wait 3 months and there will be a Sprint version. I do like all the thought motorola put into this phone with the various docks. Droid does look VERY VERY sweet. Makes me a little jealous.
  3. #3  
    There is plenty to like about this phone/OS. Looks like most of the reasons I chose to go with webOS/Pre have now been duplicated with this product....and with any QWERTY handset running this OS.
  4.    #4  
    this is the hottest phone for 09 and it's gonna really hurt the iphone. That's not to say the iphone is that much competition seeing it's three years old. This will cause apple to really step up on the next one. This will hopefully make Palm wake up too. They are missing the boat.
  5. bigstein's Avatar
    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    #5  
    Needless to say, it looks like 2010 will be an exciting time for the smartphone market. Palm had better be working feverishly over there on an upgrade to the Pre!
  6. #6  
    Strange question - but is there an accelerometer? It didn't look like it from the video. Seems landscape was dependent on what dock it was in, what app it was using, and/or whether the keyboard was out or not.
  7. atlanta's Avatar
    Posts
    324 Posts
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    #7  
    Yea it has an accelerometer
  8. jaman71's Avatar
    Posts
    127 Posts
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    #8  
    I am willing to bet it has the advanced feature known as a notification light that doesn't require a phone tweak.
  9. #9  
    The docks are said to be something Google pushed, not Motorola, I believe. They are pretty neat though.

    I really don't see what the big deal is about this new Google Navigation app though. Other than satellite view it's identical to the Telenav / Sprint Navigation app that every Sprint user gets for free with a data plan.
  10.    #10  
    to Cannibal 169

    it's seems all app based. I can do landscape on any screen except the home and settings screen on the hero. I don't have a keyboard though. I think droid will allow everything to work in landscape including the home screen. I think they might have stopped the use of the onscreen landscape keyboard since it's not needed.
  11. #11  
    i doubt google navigator will b free! verizon charges u 4 everything!
  12. gage006's Avatar
    Posts
    543 Posts
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    #12  
    If Sprint gets this, I'm gone from WebOS. Google Maps Navigation, working bluetooth, barcode scanner, real voip. Enough reasons for me to seriously consider a switch. Verizon is keeping me away from it though.
  13. #13  
    +1

    Quote Originally Posted by jabou View Post
    I am willing to bet it has the advanced feature known as a notification light that doesn't require a phone tweak.
  14. gage006's Avatar
    Posts
    543 Posts
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dshowtime718 View Post
    i doubt google navigator will b free! verizon charges u 4 everything!
    They've said it's free and that the Droid is wide open, not crippled like every other Verizon phone. I think Verizon may have finally pulled their head out of their *****.

    Also, Google Maps would work in Europe. Something Telenav doesn't do (or at least didn't when I tried to on my Blackberry).
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigstein View Post
    Needless to say, it looks like 2010 will be an exciting time for the smartphone market.
    You hear the same line very year...and yet, we're not quite there.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
  16. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    The docks are said to be something Google pushed, not Motorola, I believe. They are pretty neat though.

    I really don't see what the big deal is about this new Google Navigation app though. Other than satellite view it's identical to the Telenav / Sprint Navigation app that every Sprint user gets for free with a data plan.
    Because in many places and on many contracts, you are charged extra for sat-nav - there is a reason that GPS company stocks are tanking on this news...
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Because in many places and on many contracts, you are charged extra for sat-nav - there is a reason that GPS company stocks are tanking on this news...
    Oh I agree that it's definitely helpful for other carriers, but it's being treated as if it's groundbreaking and unheard of, and it's not.
  18. gage006's Avatar
    Posts
    543 Posts
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Oh I agree that it's definitely helpful for other carriers, but it's being treated as if it's groundbreaking and unheard of, and it's not.
    It's unheard of for it to be on this scale. All 2.0 android phone will have this software (possibly others, who knows). That's a huge leap from being a carrier supported software, like Sprint does. Sprint is/was the only company that gave free nav with their smartphones. If one of these phones comes to Sprint, I see them dropping Telenav in a heart beat. Why pay Telenav for their software when Google supplies it for free?
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzun View Post
    Wait 3 months and there will be a Sprint version. I do like all the thought motorola put into this phone with the various docks. Droid does look VERY VERY sweet. Makes me a little jealous.
    i agree... but i think i read somewhere (probably on engadget or BGR that this phone was pretty much designed by Google across the board.
  20. #20  
    dang i really like those phone docks. wish my pre had a dimmer switch while on the touchstone.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions