Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The phone docks are cool but you have to admit the Touchstone is cooler.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by drewjohn View Post
    dang i really like those phone docks. wish my pre had a dimmer switch while on the touchstone.
    Just add brightness unlinked and you can shut off the touchstone light. Not a dimmer but close.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    features seem cool but I honestly think this phone looks pretty ugly....
    For those of us who carry our device in our front pants pocket or shirt pocket and who want it to ride nice and smooth, the 15mm of extra length on the Droid ain't gonna cut it. It's even worse than the iPhone and Hero.

To some of us, features are more important.

To others like me who don't use their phone for heavy computing, who are tired of lugging around a holster or clip (at the golf course, beach, you name it), and who instead want minimal hassle when we're handing the device repetitively throughout the day while ambulatory, the Pre wins and it's not close.
  5.    #25  
    I know size matters or atleast that's what the girls say. Bigger is better in this situation. The 3.7 inch screen is crazy on this thing. I would choose a phone with a bigger screen over a small one any day. The iphone screen is great and web browsing it really easy on the eyes. If the pre had a bigger screen webkit would be just like the iphone.

I don't carry my phone in my pocket so I can't say it would matter to me.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    The docks are said to be something Google pushed, not Motorola, I believe. They are pretty neat though.

I really don't see what the big deal is about this new Google Navigation app though. Other than satellite view it's identical to the Telenav / Sprint Navigation app that every Sprint user gets for free with a data plan.
    You should look at the promotional video again. It has voice recognition to perform searches, sat view, live traffic, searching along your route and street view(!). And it is also free!

Sounds better to me...
    Bell Pre- running 2.1 @ 800MHz
    Samsung Galaxy Tab (stock)
    Quote Originally Posted by TyBec View Post
    You should look at the promotional video again. It has voice recognition to perform searches, sat view, live traffic, searching along your route and street view(!). And it is also free!

Sounds better to me...
    I've watched the video. Sprint Navigation has search along route and live traffic.

Voice recognition is nice, but that's an entire OS feature on Android 2.0, not a navigation feature (and was used in the Windows Live Search program on WM). Satellite view looks to me to be too overwhelming / distracting to use while driving. The only feature that I would really want is street view before each turn.

Even still, nothing ground-breaking here. It's definitely a nice program, and it's good for people who aren't on Sprint, but the news has been covered today as if it's never been done before. People are saying Garmin and TomTom will disappear overnight, etc.

Basically I just mean that it's being way too overhyped really.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    I have to say.. I'm having serious gadget lust/envy about the droid after watching the videos here - Motorola DROID first hands-on! (update: video, impressions, more pics)

Palm needs to step up their game w/ the software updates, and fast...

-m
    DO THE MATH....verizon is waaaaaaaaay more expensive...when you add all the stuff we get for free. Plus i will beleive it when i see it " this phone is open" no way will verizon allow their app store to get bypassed for open source apps....I switched and my bill on verizon would be 209 a month vs 129 with less features. I love the Pre, but am researching the droid for my dad who is on crap verizon....be patient with the Pre and lets wait for a comparison betwen this and the Pre
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I've watched the video. Sprint Navigation has search along route and live traffic.

Voice recognition is nice, but that's an entire OS feature on Android 2.0, not a navigation feature (and was used in the Windows Live Search program on WM). Satellite view looks to me to be too overwhelming / distracting to use while driving. The only feature that I would really want is street view before each turn.

Even still, nothing ground-breaking here. It's definitely a nice program, and it's good for people who aren't on Sprint, but the news has been covered today as if it's never been done before. People are saying Garmin and TomTom will disappear overnight, etc.

Basically I just mean that it's being way too overhyped really.
    Good points. I haven't played with a lot of phones GPS systems, but I think voice recognition is pretty new (and useful if it is able to be used in a loud car) for use in GPS. I think the fact that it is a familiar map style with all said features is what makes it so news worthy.

TomTom stock is down 20% ($10 to $8) as of today. I don't think they will go away, but this will make them change their long term strategy.
    Last edited by TyBec; 10/28/2009 at 09:16 PM.
    Bell Pre- running 2.1 @ 800MHz
    Samsung Galaxy Tab (stock)
    Android 2.0 is looking pretty cool. So much nicer than iPhone and is more mature than WebOS. There is still some UI stuff that prefer on WebOS. That said I can't stand the form factor of the Droid. I just hate black slabs and especially hate horizontal sliders. I love the Pre form factor and love that I can slide it open to answer and now close to hang up. IMO, its the cats meow.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Impressive. The voice recognition actually works, which can't be said for the G1.

Seeing the car mode and nav app explain some of the form factor. To me that's going too far. I still think the Pre is the most balanced and offers the best of all worlds: keyboard, full screen and compact size.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by boyo3221 View Post
    DO THE MATH....verizon is waaaaaaaaay more expensive...when you add all the stuff we get for free. Plus i will beleive it when i see it " this phone is open" no way will verizon allow their app store to get bypassed for open source apps....I switched and my bill on verizon would be 209 a month vs 129 with less features. I love the Pre, but am researching the droid for my dad who is on crap verizon....be patient with the Pre and lets wait for a comparison betwen this and the Pre
    did you say a comparison to the pre.....hum I wonder how that's gonna turn out.
    checked out the droid vids...very impressive device, motorola really needed this one its been a suckfest for awhile over there... seems almost more like a microtablet pc than a smartphone!... I'll give it some time to work out the kinks and get sent out to sprint and droid will get some serious consideration from me in june... I had always wanted to try android but G1, hero and moment didnt do it for me....maybe droid will who knows if I will get it or not but apple and blackberry have to be concerned about this....
    One REALLY stupid thing that I just read though- Droid's car dock does not have any method of charging it.
    One REALLY stupid thing that I just read though- Droid's car dock does not have any method of charging it.
    yep silly mistake. But I guess you can charge the phone directly.
    Wow! Just saw the video, I want one!
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by morelloX View Post
    features seem cool but I honestly think this phone looks pretty ugly....
    AGREED! The phone does some pretty slick stuff and has great specs but it doesn't look like a smartphone!
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Yeah you have to plug it in and charge like any other phone. Pretty dumb oversight with the Touchstone tech and all. Maybe Palm has that patent locked down pretty tight.
    I can't wait for this phone!

I have a $100 off a new verizon phone, so I will hopefully be getting it at contract price ($199) and then will use my verizon credit and get that knocked down to $99.

I am a huge open source fan (I am a software developer and use Linux), and I am really pumped for android 2.0. I can't wait to learn the SDK and make some cool apps.

Speaking of the SDK, one thing Android has going for it over the Pre is the fact that it uses Java (opposed to Javascript + html).
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast