Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    The only ones "spanked" are those who got the Hero purely because they thought it was the latest-n-greatest. But a lot of people probably got one because they just liked it. If they like it, they like it. Something later and greater coming out doen't change the phone they've got or the fact that they like it.

I like my Pre. I don't care what other phones do what better, because I like the one I've got.

So it's accurate to say that the Hero, and indeed the Pre, got spanked, but it is not accurate to say the owners got spanked.
    Lot's of bitter and insecure people out there
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Or you get the Moment
    That too.

Sprint at least has options to the Droid.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    It seems I will be doing a lot more field work now and will probably need a smartphone with a bigger screen and keyboard. I didn't anticipate this so soon. I love the Pre's screen in terms of res and vividness but it's too small for the service manuals and tech websites I need to reference. I do have a laptop, but it's not always easy to fire it up in many situations so I find myself turning to my phone more often than not. If the screen and keyboard were a tad bigger I might have gotten by but unfortunately they are not so.....

I do love the Pre and still wish it well and no this is not a goodbye post, I will still stay around here and help out when I can.

So far, the ONLY phone that fits the bill in terms of what I need at this point (on paper at least) is the droid. It's got a big screen and keyboard and it should replace my laptop for 90% of what I need to do. Of course I still need to test it in person and will be doing so as soon as it hit the stores. I've already thought about the fact I will need to switch carriers and I'm already prepared for the consequences. The hero/moment and Iphone 3gs are out of the question. If the droid doesn't fit the bill when I test it, I'll hold on till something better comes around.

People say it's fugly, I could care less at this point. I need function over form. At least it doesn't have that angled chin. Hopefully it will pan out when I test it person.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    I'm getting fed up with the Pre's battery life, the 1,2,3..4.5... seconds to open an app, and the non-standard USB port on the side. Palm was well aware of the horrible battery life so instead of letting heavy users of the phone grab any old usb cable laying around to charge the phone, they force a hassle on you by making you carry around the one included with the Pre - which I refuse to do. Rediculous

I look forward to the new phones coming out. Honestly, I think the Pre is already a has been.
    Quote Originally Posted by echto View Post
    I'm getting fed up with the Pre's battery life, the 1,2,3..4.5... seconds to open an app, and the non-standard USB port on the side. Palm was well aware of the horrible battery life so instead of letting heavy users of the phone grab any old usb cable laying around to charge the phone, they force a hassle on you by making you carry around the one included with the Pre - which I refuse to do. Rediculous
    What's stopping you from using "any old USB cable?" You don't have to use Palm's cable! The Pre works just fine with any USB cable capable of carrying the full 500mA - standard USB spec. This leaves out a few poorly made cables, but includes most everything else.

Did you have GrumpyO's for breakfast this morning?
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    and the non-standard USB port on the side. Palm was well aware of the horrible battery life so instead of letting heavy users of the phone grab any old usb cable laying around to charge the phone, they force a hassle on you by making you carry around the one included with the Pre - which I refuse to do. Rediculous
    It's a standard micro-USB cable. Most smart phones are moving to it, and an international committee settled on it as a standard.

There are a lot of valid complaints to be made about the Pre, but this one is just stupid.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SiniStereO View Post
    What's stopping you from using "any old USB cable?" You don't have to use Palm's cable! The Pre works just fine with any USB cable capable of carrying the full 500mA - standard USB spec. This leaves out a few poorly made cables, but includes most everything else.

Did you have GrumpyO's for breakfast this morning?
    Let me clarify - the micro adapter.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    So you think that complaining about a USB size that is not common to a work place is stupid, heh. That's funny.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    So you think that complaining about a USB size that is not common to a work place is stupid, heh. That's funny.
    The microusb IS a standard cable. Just because you don't have them in your workplace doesn't mean they aren't commen. What did expect it to use? A printer USB port? Lol. There is a reason the international committees picked the microusb as a standard.
    Last edited by LurkerX; 11/02/2009 at 10:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    It seems I will be doing a lot more field work now and will probably need a smartphone with a bigger screen and keyboard. I didn't anticipate this so soon. I love the Pre's screen in terms of res and vividness but it's too small for the service manuals and tech websites I need to reference. I do have a laptop, but it's not always easy to fire it up in many situations so I find myself turning to my phone more often than not. If the screen and keyboard were a tad bigger I might have gotten by but unfortunately they are not so.....
    And I actually like the fact that the Pre is a little smaller ... makes it much more pocket-friendly. Just proves that it's mostly a matter of personal taste (unless you just *have* to chase the latest/greatest thing)
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    And I actually like the fact that the Pre is a little smaller ... makes it much more pocket-friendly. Just proves that it's mostly a matter of personal taste (unless you just *have* to chase the latest/greatest thing)
    It also depends on what you are doing with it. For me, having more info available on the screen and to be able to look at tech diagrams without having to zoom or scroll is a time saver. If all I did was casual browsing, it wouldn't matter. Besides, from the dimensions posted, the Droid isn't that big at all and should fit in my front pocket (where I carry all my phones) just fine.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    The more you talk the more ignorant you sound. Micro USB is not some proprietary cable! It's like someone complaining about mini usb when standard usb was the norm.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    I had a chance to play with the Droid today at my local Verizon store. I only was able to play with it for about 5 minutes which is clearly not enough time to base a substantive opinion, but nevertheless I walked away a bit unimpressed. For starters, the thing – in my opinion – is ugly. I thought it was ugly in the pictures, but was hoping it would look better in person. Nope. The real disappointment though was the keyboard. To me, the keys felt very stiff and hard to reach. Maybe it’s just because I’m used to such a small keyboard with the Pre, but at times it felt really awkward reaching my right thumb across the whole device to hit certain keys. Also, there’s still a level of polish on webos which isn’t there on Android – even Android 2.0. I’ve never really been a big fan of horizontal sliding keyboards, so that may have colored my opinion as well.

All in all, if I was a Verizon customer I’d absolutely get one, but I wouldn’t leave the Pre and Sprint for it. And I’m saying this as someone who is a big fan of Android. Oh, on the positive side – the thing is very thin.
    Last edited by Minsc; 11/04/2009 at 12:27 PM.
    ^You're lucky to get your hands on one. Every store I've called down here isn't getting one till Friday.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12