Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    I had the Pre for quite a while but it was just soooooooo hard to not miss the Android OS after having the G1. I didn't like the G1 hardware, but loved Android. As a result, I went to Sprint and bought a new Hero and I am absolutely loving it!

    Here are some things that make the Pre better than the Hero:


    • Camera flash
    • Repeat notifications in the calendar
    • YouTube videos are more clear on Pre by default - however you can select HD on the hero
    • The lock button on the top right (in the hero you just push menu twice or push menu and drag the bar down (similar to the Pre) but the Pre just has the physical button in a better place).
    • Pinch to zoom


    Here are some things that make the Hero better than the Pre:


    • The touch screen keyboard is soooo easy to type on and it automatically corrects spelling errors (and surprisingly well!)
    • Bigger Screen
    • Evdo Rev. A <-- I stand corrected - the Pre does too
    • WONDERFUL battery life (50% remaining after 14 hours of moderate to heavy use (recording video, surfing the web, downloading apps)
    • LOTS and LOTS of apps
    • Everything is waaaaaaaaaaaaay faster (because it is a compiled OS)
    • The speakers are really loud and clear for speakerphone or regular phone - just great speakers
    • It comes with visual voice mail
    • Icons on home screen
    • Great widgets
    • Track Ball
    • Video Recording (and uploading to YouTube)
    • LED Notifications at the top (not on the track ball)
    • VERY SOLID FEEL - doesn't feel like it's going to break.


    Now I just need somebody to buy my Pre. Anybody in the Seattle area interested? Full invisible shield and a charger (however it has two dead pixels).
    Last edited by kasl33; 10/28/2009 at 11:04 AM.
    If I help you out, why not "Thank" me? Or you can visit my site at http://outklaw.com
  2. awrnsmn's Avatar
    Posts
    646 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    #2  
    I have a hero also. Have you noticed that 99% of the apps are crap. The browser is a joke, but yet it still has appeal. I am still on my pre for those reasons. I'm not sure what i'm going to do yet. By the way, your probably going to get flamed as this topic has been talked to death here.
  3. wicketr's Avatar
    Posts
    232 Posts
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    #3  
    The Pre has EVDO Rev A as well, so i'm not sure why you marked it as a benefit of the Hero.

    I'd agree though that Android is very nice and has alot that the Pre needs, especially the faster interface. The video I saw yesterday of it made me cry my Pre is so slow.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by awrnsmn View Post
    I have a hero also. Have you noticed that 99% of the apps are crap. The browser is a joke, but yet it still has appeal. I am still on my pre for those reasons. I'm not sure what i'm going to do yet. By the way, your probably going to get flamed as this topic has been talked to death here.
    The browser actually isn't bad. It has the WebKit browser which is the same one the iPhone has and I believe the Pre has it as well (doesn't it?). The only thing I like better about the Pre's browser version is the pinch zooming.

    There are a lot of crap apps, but there are a lot of really good ones as well. The more the merrier!

    Yeah, I may get flamed for that post, but all I was doing was stating my opinions and giving people who were wondering another point of view.
    If I help you out, why not "Thank" me? Or you can visit my site at http://outklaw.com
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by wicketr View Post
    The Pre has EVDO Rev A as well, so i'm not sure why you marked it as a benefit of the Hero.

    I'd agree though that Android is very nice and has alot that the Pre needs, especially the faster interface. The video I saw yesterday of it made me cry my Pre is so slow.
    I thought I saw that the Pre had Rev A, but then I remember seeing something that said it didn't. But a little research proved that yes it does. My bad. I'll edit the original post.
    If I help you out, why not "Thank" me? Or you can visit my site at http://outklaw.com
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by kasl33 View Post
    The browser actually isn't bad. It has the WebKit browser which is the same one the iPhone has and I believe the Pre has it as well (doesn't it?). The only thing I like better about the Pre's browser version is the pinch zooming.

    There are a lot of crap apps, but there are a lot of really good ones as well. The more the merrier!

    Yeah, I may get flamed for that post, but all I was doing was stating my opinions and giving people who were wondering another point of view.
    Just remember, it is one thing to use webkit to make your browser, and it is quite another to do it right. Notice the differenes in the browsers of the Iphone and the Pre. Iphone uses webkit a little better than the Pre, and the Pre uses it better than the Hero.
  7. #7  
    the Hero has pinch zoom too....

    everything else is pretty much correct
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
  8. awrnsmn's Avatar
    Posts
    646 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    #8  
    I noticed on my hero the browser is really really slow to load. Can you give me some options on some good apps. I've been looking and looking and have only found a handfull. Thanks. By the way, I do not agree with people flamming others for their opinion as they have done it to me. I was not suggesting they do it to you, just preparing you for the as****** that feel they need to do it.
  9. Tmac923's Avatar
    Posts
    96 Posts
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    #9  
    Can someone that has both the Hero and the Pre verify something for me? I have been trying and trying to find out if the Hero supports VCal in the native email app. My wife sends me calendar appointments via email from her POP email account through her blackberry phone. This was fine when I had a blackberry also, but when I got the Pre it obviously doesn't support this function. The email is just a bunch of text. But does the Hero support this? Can anyone send or have someone send an appointment from a blackberry or outlook or something to your email via the Hero and see if it is able to accept the appointment, or if it also just a bunch of text like the Pre? If it handles this function, I think I'm ready to make the switch myself.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by awrnsmn View Post
    I noticed on my hero the browser is really really slow to load. Can you give me some options on some good apps. I've been looking and looking and have only found a handfull. Thanks. By the way, I do not agree with people flamming others for their opinion as they have done it to me. I was not suggesting they do it to you, just preparing you for the as****** that feel they need to do it.
    yes, i do not like the fact that the browser is slower and less smooth than the pre...

    as for apps might i recommend Astro File Manager, iMusic, Movies by Flixter, Facebook native app, Pandora, Listen by Google, Layar Reality Brower, Shopsavvy

    enjoy

    ps. when it comes to the flaming issue, i try not to flame people but to bring facts over bias when it comes to issues with the Pre. but when it comes down to it, i wish i could co back to WebOS but its not ready for my needs yet
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
  11. gage006's Avatar
    Posts
    543 Posts
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    #11  
    I don't get why multi touch still isn't standard on Android.
  12. #12  
    I notice a lot of feature comparisons but I don't notice what is one very important element to me and others: form factor.

    My suicide issue is form factor and how easily it fits in my pocket. I do not nor will I ever again carry a device in a holster. It must fit and ride well in my pants pocket or shirt pocket or I won't carry it. I have lost too many phones that way, not to mention it's a hassle walking around trying to keep your holster or clip from brushing up against something and knocking it off. Holsters and clips are not only unfashionable (not a big deal) they are a pain when you have to sit somewhere you're not used to sitting.

    The above criteria favors the Pre over the Hero by a large margin in my situation. The extra 12mm in length on the Hero makes it more difficult to put in my front pants pocket (compare the two while sitting down) and it doesn't carry as well in a shirt pocket either. This also applies to the iPhone.

    I appreciate all the features of a smart phone and having a data connection has saved my rear end on many occasions. However, I do not use my phone for heavy computing and I never will...therefore features are secondary to form factor in my case.
  13. #13  
    very true....pre is like the perfect size...so small i barely notice its there when Im working out...

Posting Permissions