Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Gotta admit the droid's specs are incredibly nice. Thing seems to blow the Hero outta the water. It is getting hyped up more then the 2nd coming of Jesus. Anyone wanna guess on the chances of Sprint getting it and how many people would switch from Pre to droid?

http://mediacenter.motorola.com/cont...8&NewsAreaID=2
    Not a chance I'd switch to a Droid even if it came to Sprint and it all boils down to one word. Motorola. Never had a good Motorola handset, ever. Even when they were "market leaders" oh so many years ago. The specs are nice but I'd bet money it's more hype than anything, that's what marketing campaigns like the one they're using for it are designed to do. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the smart phone equivalent of Snakes on a Plane.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    I wouldn't be surprised if it's the smart phone equivalent of Snakes on a Plane.
    LMAO
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xome1983 View Post
    Not a chance I'd switch to a Droid even if it came to Sprint and it all boils down to one word. Motorola. Never had a good Motorola handset, ever. Even when they were "market leaders" oh so many years ago. The specs are nice but I'd bet money it's more hype than anything, that's what marketing campaigns like the one they're using for it are designed to do. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the smart phone equivalent of Snakes on a Plane.
    While I would agree that Moto's handsets were crap for many years, it was because of software not hardware. The hardware was usually top-notch, or at least solid. I mean, you still see people rocking beat-to-hell RAZRs that are 4+ years old. The problem with Motorola phones has always been their software. The software has been complete crap. However, they seem to have solved that problem by using Android. I have to admit that Android 2.0 looks fairly compelling. While I'm not going to jump to VZW for the Droid, I'll certainly give Android 2.0 a long look when it comes to Sprint.
    Just remember if you put the word versus or the abreviation vs. in your thread when comparing the Pre to another device it needs to be in Cross Platform forum.

Droid sucks.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Each and every day I am disliking my Pre more and more for one reason or another, but that is a totally different topic all together. I have to admit the Droid looks slick as hell and if it came to Sprint, I would definitely give it a go.
    Motorola got a LOT right out of the box that Palm didn't.

- It comes with 16GB of memory (expandable, even). I used to think 8GB on the Pre was no big deal, but I can admit when I am wrong.
    - Motorola ships it with desktop playlist sync software so their users aren't stuck with a hack way to sync iTunes music that can be shut off at a moment's notice.
    - It's made of metal and glass, not cheap plastic.
    - The battery life is apparently very good, according to BGR.

This stuff matters.
    My experiance as been that Motorola's handsets have generally been better than Palm's.
    I am going to get the Droid (over the Pre). Will be picking it up Nov. 6th.

I like how people are saying how unreliable Motorola is, but when I go to the Pre forum section, I see posts how people are on their 7th and 8th Pre. I am not saying Motorola isn't unreliable (I have never owned a moto phone), but it still amuses me.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    If the Droid lives up to the hype, I would definitely go for it if it came to Sprint. While I like my Pre, I would prefer a larger screen and 5 megapixel video-capable camera.
    While I would agree that Moto's handsets were crap for many years, it was because of software not hardware. The hardware was usually top-notch, or at least solid. I mean, you still see people rocking beat-to-hell RAZRs that are 4+ years old.
    I beg to differ, you still people rocking RAZRs but 9 outta 10 are refurb replacements. I had a RAZR for over a year, had to have it replaced 4 times all but the last were hardware issues.

- Motorola ships it with desktop playlist sync software so their users aren't stuck with a hack way to sync iTunes music that can be shut off at a moment's notice.
    There are several other options for getting music onto the pre, this is a minor argument at best. Several people don't use itunes and probably never will. Myself included, even with that "handicap" I still have a ton of movies and music on my pre without any inconvenience.

- It's made of metal and glass, not cheap plastic.
    iphone, day one. Less than an hour out of the box fell from a foot and a half from the couch onto a carpeted floor. Apparently hit the corner at the perfect angle to crack my screen in half.

Pre, day three. Dropped off my kitchen table onto tile. Bounced twice, restarted, not even a scratch.

You can argue that it's made of metal and glass and not plastic but my pre survived alot worse than my iphone(s) ever did and it too had a glass screen.

My experiance as been that Motorola's handsets have generally been better than Palm's.
    That makes me sad. The pre is the first Palm product I've owned and I don't see half the problems I've read others talking about. But like I said before Motorola just doesn't do it for me, I've never been impressed.
    I like how people are saying how unreliable Motorola is, but when I go to the Pre forum section, I see posts how people are on their 7th and 8th Pre. I am not saying Motorola isn't unreliable (I have never owned a moto phone), but it still amuses me.
    The majority of pre owners probably don't frequent this site, or any other pre sites truth be told. This site is a snapshot of the more inclined pre users, the ones more likely to get their phones serviced or replaced, the people that are more vocal about the little things and adamant about the big ones. I'd reckon if you looked at the numbers as opposed to these forums you'd see the pre probably is on par with just about every other new smart phone with less than a year under it's belt.

Enough is enough, I've had it with these motherf****n' DROIDS on this motherf*****n' Forum! You watch, I called it.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Am I the only one that thinks the Droid is Ugly.
    will people ever learn that you don't need to jump ship everytime some more eyes candy comes out it tells what your really all about and its a waste of money lol then the next thing you know palm comes out with 2.0 and they jump back .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    The Droid does have some nice looking specs. But the phone looks kind of square, pointy, and what a goofy looking keyboard with the gold trim! But, I would give it a try versus my Pre. I bet it's a far better built device than the Pre. I'm am always so affraid of breaking this little thing. I also notice since having this Pre that I would much rather have something with a little bigger screen on it. I definetely like the features of the Pre more than I like the Pre itself. Just ask yourself, would you have bought the Pre if it ran WinMo or an out of the box OS? Not me, but WebOS being in beta mode just isn't cutting it either right now. One day it will, but it just has a lot of growing up to do. I'll keep the little guy for now only because I'm not paying full price for another phone, but when it's time for an upgrade (hopefully that's when some "other" new phones come on board), I'll definetely be skipping this phone across the pond.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Not sure if anyone else noticed this, but the Droid comes out in 2 weeks, and no one has a test copy, we havent seen official photos (just possibly inadvertant leaks), and all we have a pretty spec sheets and nice press releases. Yep, the specs are awesome, but then again there was was spec sheet i saw recently where the LG Voyager was actually better than the iPhone (no really), and that phone was a complete piece of crap.

We'll really start seeing how amazing the Droid is about mid January when all the complaints start rolling in post Christmas from the regular users (aka. non Android f@nboyz). And just like the Blackberry Storm, things might not turn out so sunny on the flip side.
    Last edited by pico23; 10/28/2009 at 12:33 PM.
    There are several other options for getting music onto the pre, this is a minor argument at best. Several people don't use itunes and probably never will. Myself included, even with that "handicap" I still have a ton of movies and music on my pre without any inconvenience.
    It's not a minor argument given that Palm actively promotes iTunes sync - and NO OTHER OPTIONS - from their Web site and advertising.

iphone, day one. Less than an hour out of the box fell from a foot and a half from the couch onto a carpeted floor. Apparently hit the corner at the perfect angle to crack my screen in half.

Pre, day three. Dropped off my kitchen table onto tile. Bounced twice, restarted, not even a scratch.

You can argue that it's made of metal and glass and not plastic but my pre survived alot worse than my iphone(s) ever did and it too had a glass screen.
    I'm not arguing anything. It is fact that the Pre build quality is not regarded well at all. iPhone's is, as is the Droid thus far.
    Quote Originally Posted by pico23 View Post
    Not sure if anyone else noticed this, but the Droid comes out in 2 weeks, and no one has a test copy, we havent seen official photos (just possibly inadvertant leaks), and all we have a pretty spec sheets and nice press releases. Yep, the specs are awesome, but then again there was was spec sheet i saw recently where the LG Voyager was actually better than the iPhone (no really), and that phone was a complete piece of crap.

We'll really start seeing how amazing the Droid is about mid January when all the complaints start rolling in post Christmas from the regular users (aka. non Android *******). And just like the Blackberry Storm, things might not turn out so sunny on the flip side.
    Doubt this is the case. Google had a hand in developing this from what i hear. This isn't a dumbphone like the voyager or using an aging OS like the Storm was.
    The build quality of the first iphone was one reason why so many could tolerate it..wasn't anything like it at the time. Maybe if Palm had made a similar leap? They chose the cheap plastic slider route instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by pico23 View Post

We'll really start seeing how amazing the Droid is about mid January when all the complaints start rolling in post Christmas from the regular users (aka. non Android *******). And just like the Blackberry Storm, things might not turn out so sunny on the flip side.
    What reality are you writing this from again? There are official Droid previews and hands-on segments at Engadget, Gizmodo, and BGR today. Actually, Boy Genius Report had theirs up several days ago.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast