Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    No, I think it looks like a brick too. I am tired of this "Apple Newton" with a phone in it form factor. I use bluetooth and headphones a lot to talk on the Pre, but good golly sometimes I use it like a phone, you know in my hand, and I like that it feels comfy like a tit in my hand.

Second thing is I REFUSE to buy one of those (sorry I have to go un PC here but no offense is meant) gay old man belt clip cases. My phone should fit unobtrusively in my pocket next to my sack and not bother me. The day I use a belt clip style phone holster is the day I take a header off a bridge. I can't stand them in either form or function.

No thanks, the Pre has some issues, but it is actually (in my opinion) both stylist (different not an iCut iClone form factor) and actually comforable to hold and carry. Both are important when I have the device on me 90% of my life outside my home.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    What reality are you writing this from again? There are official Droid previews and hands-on segments at Engadget, Gizmodo, and BGR today. Actually, Boy Genius Report had theirs up several days ago.
    Actually boy genius had leaked specs and product shots up if I am remembering correctly.

There are still none of these in reviewers hands.

Remember (as an example) David Pogue had the Pre weeks before the Pre launch. The Droid comes out in LESS than 2 weeks. So my reality says this phone might be great (specs wise it does look nice, no arguement there) phone but only time will tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by pico23 View Post
    Actually boy genius had leaked specs and product shots up if I am remembering correctly.

Remember (as an example) David Pogue had the Pre weeks before the Pre launch. The Droid comes out in LESS than 2 weeks. So my reality says this phone might be great (specs wise it does look nice, no arguement there) phone but only time will tell.
    The phone is not being hidden away. You don't think every tech site will have a review of the retail version up before it comes out just like the Pre?

And here's the crazy thing...Motorola made AN EVENT out of releasing the release date and price. You know, to excite people? I still shake my head at the utter embarrassing press release Sprint sent out quietly with the same info for the Pre.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Csquared View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks the Droid is Ugly.
    It doesn't look as appealing as say, the Hero... but the specs are nice and the phone does look solid.
    And here's the crazy thing...Motorola made AN EVENT out of releasing the release date and price. You know, to excite people? I still shake my head at the utter embarrassing press release Sprint sent out quietly with the same info for the Pre.
    And back to my first post...

The specs are nice but I'd bet money it's more hype than anything, that's what marketing campaigns like the one they're using for it are designed to do. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the smart phone equivalent of Snakes on a Plane.
    It's a marketing campaign, it's how the heap products on us ie: Snakes on a plane. It builds hype. Palm could have used a bit more flash but often big hype turns into big let down. Besides, they are getting ready to launch the pixi and 1.3 (presumably) and at least in my market the Palm branded Pre commercials are starting to play all the time (on the food network more than any other oddly enough ***?) Palms starting to do their adds but if you notice they seem geared towards business customers and droid... Well despite it's god like specs *Cough* it is not.
    One could argue the hype over the Pre from January was already a big let down, but I digress. The funny thing is, they HAVE launched the Pixi. They've done some hands-on demos, released the specs, and released a price and date.

Does ANYBODY actually care about any of that in the midset of the Droid launching amid plenty of other CDMA phones? Wow, for the same price as an iPhone 3G or Pre on Amazon, I can get a crippled Pre with a 2 megapixel camera, smaller screen and fully exposed keyboard. Awesome.

And I, too, watch Food Network at night and see that boring spot where Tamara is running late for a meeting and "contacts" the attendees. Also very impressive.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    What are you smoking? Here, I'll do the work for you.

Motorola DROID first hands-on! (update: video, impressions, more pics)
    Motorola Droid First Hands On: It's a Terminator - Motorola Droid - Gizmodo
    Motorola Droid Preview Boy Genius Report

You're not even close to remembering correctly. Welcome to reality:
    TBGR
    Gadgeteer Part 1, Part 2, Part 3
    CNET
    PCWorld

Yep - nobody has seen this phone - it's all just photoshop and made-up stuff. You've really never heard of Google search before?
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I'll get whatever is best with the Sprint network.
    Here's the biggest problem with comparing the Pre with the Droid:

WebOS is still v1.x (some of us might claim v0.x), complete with lots of rough edges and a beta-quality SDK. Android v1.x had its share of issues, too, although 1.6 was starting to make the platform look like it had a fighting chance.

Droid ships with Android v2.0. I've been digging into the SDK and running the platform (emulated on a developer virtual machine) and I'm impressed by how much it has grown up. WebOS used to have significant platform advantages over Android; almost without exception, these are now gone.

The problem is Palm is really late to this game. By the time we see WebOS v2, they'll be competing with today's Android and tomorrow's iPhone. What Palm really needs is a time machine or a love affair with Nokia. Neither seem likely.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    I think Nokia is more interested in it's new Maemo OS. I'm not sure why they'd go from a version of Linux that can use it's GPU, run full flash, etc, to a more limited version. I like WebOS, but they need to copy things from Maemo much more than Maemo needs to copy things from WebOS.
    Sprint has two Android devices on the market - HTC Hero and the Samsung Moment.
    is everyone missing that it doesn't have multitouch? that is HUGE! deal, i think. Makes a phone seem old school...
    Quote Originally Posted by jateelover View Post
    is everyone missing that it doesn't have multitouch? that is HUGE! deal, i think. Makes a phone seem old school...
    Some of us car more about functionality than having a phone that looks "old school". My Centro looks very "old school"
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by awrnsmn View Post
    LMAO
    Me Too, That is the best thing I have head in a while!
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Some of us car more about functionality than having a phone that looks "old school". My Centro looks very "old school"
    its not LOOKING old school, its SEEMING old school in terms of usage. I just don't understand...I thought ot was awesome that motorola (or google) was taking everything great about a phone and putting it into one...not trying to come up with something new, but making the best of what IS popular. So they made this phone with all of the features and more that they could put into it, and left out multitouch? multitouch is not looks, it IS functionality. Zooming in and out is a million times better and more accurate than double tapping or pressing a button. It just seems so dumb that they would leave this key feature out on a phone thats supposed to kill the iphone...iCan multitouch.
    its not LOOKING old school, its SEEMING old school in terms of usage. I just don't understand...I thought ot was awesome that motorola (or google) was taking everything great about a phone and putting it into one...not trying to come up with something new, but making the best of what IS popular. So they made this phone with all of the features and more that they could put into it, and left out multitouch? multitouch is not looks, it IS functionality. Zooming in and out is a million times better and more accurate than double tapping or pressing a button. It just seems so dumb that they would leave this key feature out on a phone thats supposed to kill the iphone...iCan multitouch.
    I doubt Verizon, Motorola or Google seriously expect this phone to kill the iPhone. That said, the large high res screen is going to make browsing nicer than the iPhone even without multi-touch. Verizon's better 3G network won't hurt either.

In my experience Motorola phones work better as phones than anything Palm has ever produced. According to the review, the Droid does not disappoint in this regard. I have a feeling that the Droid will be a much better email device than the Pre also.
    obviously they are pitting it against the iphone though...look at the commercial! and by all standards, what ive read is that it really could be the phone that takes it to apple, like the pre should have...everything looks awesome, from the screen, to the functionality...i just don't understand who said "ah, lets just leave multi touch out"...
    The double tap on Android 2.0 did not look clucky at all to me (there are multiple videos online). I actually thought it looked VERY smooth, and looks like it totally defeats the purpose of pinch and zoom.

I have noticed on various forums, people make criticisms of Android 1.5 and 1.6. Although there isn't a lot of new stuff in Android 2.0, that is in part because they fixed a lot of things that were "broken" in older versions. (instead of broken, maybe "unpolished"?)
    double tap is not that great on 1.5 but like you said these things are fixed in 2.0. Multi touch zoom is great with word wrap around. Lots of optimization too. Can't wait for it to come to the hero.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast