Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree5Likes
    My favorite used to be the Palm Pre -- I still remember the first time turning it, sliding open the keyboard, and using it to enter web addresses and other information. So amazing, easy, and fast.

Fits so nice in the hand, is easy to hold, and just feels right. Fits in any pocket too.

Now it's the Pre3, even after using it for over 5 years. How many other phones can you use for this long and still enjoy! So sad that HP really dropped the ball with their purchase of Palm -- what a waste...
    Last edited by UI Designer; 09/29/2016 at 04:53 PM.
    I'm not even sure I could pick my favorite if I really tried so I'll list my top three:

BlackBerry Passport
    HP Pre3
    BlackBerry Priv

I think the Pre3 and webOS were years ahead of their time and in ways still haven't been matched or surpassed. Thinking about what could have been or what a Pre 8 would look like blows my mind. BlackBerry 10 and the Passport are my favorite "modern" devices and operating systems. I just love the form factor which I hate doesn't seem to have much future. I just bought a Priv on sale and while I'm not a big fan of Android I've grown to tolerate it and it combines a lot of things I love (portrait slider, carbon fiber back, BlackBerry hardware and software touches) in a phone with almost no compromises.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    I wish they'd fire sale the Priv and let them get into people's hands. Then we'd see how many people still want keyboards.

It was too expensive and carriers were controlling the limited access release nonsense, giving Sprint a chance to not offer it at all. They did the same thing with Palm.

Once again a company builds a great piece of hardware and then no one ever sees it because of some other department's poor handling.

My first day without a Pre in 7 years didn't go well. I even stopped to get a 5:00 beer and try to relax, and a bug flew in it. Which i didn't see, then spit out, on myself.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    cbosdell likes this.
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    My first smartphone was a Palm Treo 270. It was a great PDA but the phone had a lot to be desired. I still look at it fondly as it was Palm's early attempt to merge a phone and a PDA together. It was then that I became a member of TreoCentral which later became PreCentral and finally WebOS Nation.

My next phone, the Treo 600 showed a significant improvement. I had an external GPS dongle and used Mapopolis to navigate. The routing took a long time (I'd start it 20 minutes before I had to leave if the drive was more than 100 miles). However, to this day, I've never seen a better routing algorithm. It taught me new and better routes in areas that I thought I knew very well.

I had a few more Treos, but Palm really nailed it with the Pre series and it's the reason I still hang out here. Just type and the keyboard are a winner in my book. Looking back on it, it was the homebrew community that made the Pre the most fun. I think hacking the Pre took up most of my spare time. It will always have a soft spot. The Pre definitely comes in first.

I moved on to BBOS 10, and then the Blackberry Priv. With a little tweaking the Priv, with it's keyboard integrated with device search and hotkeys, comes the closest to a WebOS experience than any other phone I've tried. The Priv is my second favorite phone.

As one of the Harbingers of Failure, it looks like I'm responsible for the downfall of the Pre and Priv. Now I have to figure out who's next.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    cbosdell likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    As one of the Harbingers of Failure, it looks like I'm responsible for the downfall of the Pre and Priv. Now I have to figure out who's next.
    Please buy an iPhone! Bwahaha!
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Shuswap likes this.
    The Pre3 is my favorite phone by far. It may not be able to do everything an iOS or Android phone can do, but it does most of what I really need. For everything else, I have enough gadgets at my disposal to handle those duties.
    My favourite two phones ever are the Pre3 and the Bold 9900. So much on the Pre3 is effortless and natural. The gestures are intuitive, the menu setup is sensible, and the keyboard works so much better than it should for it's size. As ggendel pointed out over at CrackBerry, the homebrew community is awesome, and really, the only reason you can still use many features of the device. For me, the major downside is text selection, which is pretty inaccurate and subpar.

The Bold has a great keyboard, a wonderful screen for outdoor reading, the trackpad makes text editing a breeze, and I really like the amount of thought that went into the all those settings menus. Negatives are BIS (my carrier doesn't have it so I had to write my own service books to enable some features) and the proprietary OS. I guess the browser is a negative these days too, but that's also the case for webOS.

I'm still waiting on the next great keyboarded phone.... The Priv is still fairly expensive in Canada, and the keyboard wasn't very nice on the dummy phones in the stores here. Maybe the real thing is better.
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Nexus 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuswap View Post
    My favourite two phones ever are the Pre3 and the Bold 9900. So much on the Pre3 is effortless and natural. The gestures are intuitive, the menu setup is sensible, and the keyboard works so much better than it should for it's size. As ggendel pointed out over at CrackBerry, the homebrew community is awesome, and really, the only reason you can still use many features of the device. For me, the major downside is text selection, which is pretty inaccurate and subpar.

The Bold has a great keyboard, a wonderful screen for outdoor reading, the trackpad makes text editing a breeze, and I really like the amount of thought that went into the all those settings menus. Negatives are BIS (my carrier doesn't have it so I had to write my own service books to enable some features) and the proprietary OS. I guess the browser is a negative these days too, but that's also the case for webOS.

I'm still waiting on the next great keyboarded phone.... The Priv is still fairly expensive in Canada, and the keyboard wasn't very nice on the dummy phones in the stores here. Maybe the real thing is better.
    Definitely agree on the homebrew community being a huge part of what drove my love for webOS. As far as the Priv keyboard goes I tried a working display model last November and didn't like the keyboard at all. The one I own was manufactured a little later and I've adjusted to quite in just a matter of days. It's not the best keyboard ever but it's very usable and the gestures you can use on it make it a lot more useful than it has any right being.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234