Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40
  1. stockh's Avatar
    Posts
    401 Posts
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
       #1  
    It appears google has been working furiously with the release of Android 2.0 to give "synergy type" (quick contact) support to their SDK. Something WebOS (ahem) has had since day one!

    Good to know WebOS is "still relevant" which was a concern to some in this forum.
  2. #2  
    Competition is a good thing for consumers. The next couple years are going to be very interesting for the smartphone market.
  3. #3  
    The HTC Hero does the contact linking like synergy but better IMO. It also adds other social networks to include Flickr. You can browse through your contacts and ones that you have linked with Facebook it will show their status etc.
  4. #4  

    Wow.
  5. ldj
    ldj is offline
    ldj's Avatar
    Posts
    256 Posts
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    #5  
    Most of what's in that video is in WebOS. It just means Android in on par with some of these features now. One think Android does have is a far superior SDK and development environment, henfe better apps.
    1.3 is shaping up to be Palms biggest (most important) update yet...
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ldj View Post
    Most of what's in that video is in WebOS. It just means Android in on par with some of these features now.
    it is in some/many aspects more than just on par.

    eg:

    Third-party "sync adapters" allow apps to tie in to the phone's sync services
    this is much more advanced than in the webOS, at least as I understand this. that means, that external developers can write adapters for the syncing service. so that one does not depend on the update of the OS itself to get further syncing. at least I do not know, that palm offers this ability. am I right or wrong?
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post

    Wow.
    For some reason I am not impressed.
  8. #8  
    what i find more interesting than catching up with WebOS is the fact it passes WebOS in terms of bluetooth profiles, by adding Object Push Profile (OPP) to eg. transfer vcards and ical between 2 cellphones directly.

    Please Palm OPP and OBEX for WebOS 1.3 !!!


    And btw. internalz dev-folks that android "Quick contact"- feature would be a nice patch
  9. bonfilio's Avatar
    Posts
    82 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by guerillatwang View Post
    For some reason I am not impressed.
    Yeah.. I really don't get the WOW comment either (maybe it was 'wow.. meh from Google'?). re Contacts: More icons on the screen is not always a good thing, clutters UI and introduces complexity where you really don't need it.. and I really don't see much use of dual/stacked screens on a phone device. Adds bulk.

    Cool techdemo, but they didn't demonstrate anything that is 'must-have'.



    *shrug* I've always been more of a minimalist.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by bonfilio View Post
    Yeah.. I really don't get the WOW comment either (maybe it was 'wow.. meh from Google'?). re Contacts: More icons on the screen is not always a good thing, clutters UI and introduces complexity where you really don't need it.. and I really don't see much use of dual/stacked screens on a phone device. Adds bulk.

    Cool techdemo, but they didn't demonstrate anything that is 'must-have'.



    *shrug* I've always been more of a minimalist.
    Was this run on an emulator? It seemed like he was using a phone, but it was much, much faster than my Pre--that's for sure.
    no 'Thanks'
  11. #11  
    It was on the phone...it runs faster because android makes use of the GPU while web OS doesn't haha.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by guerillatwang View Post
    For some reason I am not impressed.
    same
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  13. #13  
    If you're not impressed with Android 2.0 then you certainly must not be impressed with WebOS.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    If you're not impressed with Android 2.0 then you certainly must not be impressed with WebOS.
    how is that...i obviously dont feel impressed by android 2.0 and i love webOS...where is ur reasoning behind that?
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  15. #15  
    You should watch the videos for what was brought to 1.6 and subsequent releases, there's a lot more to Android than what you saw in this video. This is just one of the features they're toting.

    From a developers standpoint, WebOS in its current state is a joke.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    You should watch the videos for what was brought to 1.6 and subsequent releases, there's a lot more to Android than what you saw in this video. This is just one of the features they're toting.

    From a developers standpoint, WebOS in its current state is a joke.
    maybe (in ur opinion) webOS is a joke...but in my opinion webOS is the *****...and i saw many videos of android 2.0 and i dont like it one bit....imho it looks like an ugly *** OS....thats just of course my honest opinion...if u like android thats gr8
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    maybe (in ur opinion) webOS is a joke...but in my opinion webOS is the *****...and i saw many videos of android 2.0 and i dont like it one bit....imho it looks like an ugly *** OS....thats just of course my honest opinion...if u like android thats gr8
    Don't get me wrong, WebOS is a nice platform but currently it's only surviving on potential (the only reason I continue to own a Pre). Its feature-set is pretty bland, it is slow (painstakingly slow), etc.

    Those that say Android 2.0 brings it par to WebOS or any other phone platform is absurd and obviously doesn't know what the OS is truly capable of (in its current state).

    You should take a look at 1.6 brought (specifically the battery usage indicator): http://developer.android.com/sdk/and...ighlights.html
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Don't get me wrong, WebOS is a nice platform but currently it's only surviving on potential (the only reason I continue to own a Pre). Its feature-set is pretty bland, it is slow (painstakingly slow), etc.

    Those that say Android 2.0 brings it par to WebOS or any other phone platform is absurd and obviously don't know what the OS is truly capable of.
    well everyone has their own opinion no matter how absurd u think it is
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    well everyone has their own opinion no matter how absurd u think it is
    Right, that's all a phone boils down to is personal preference. But this thread didn't start on opinion.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Right, that's all a phone boils down to is personal preference.
    yup tru thats how i c it

    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    But this thread didn't start on opinion.
    i dont know...i havent read the thread entirely but u know my reasoning
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions