Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Simple, low cost, not artsy fartsy and effective - with a tag line and tune!

BTW what happened to the facebook updates from Bell Canada!?
    The Palm Pre advert that should have been http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHsz8BxDk

Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    I don't see how this is any better than the Pre ad. Putting 'you' in the commercial about 200 times is sucha marketing thing to do. You can see the marketing managers drawing it out on their whiteboards. You, you, you. Brilliant!

She goes to school. She goes to work. She's picking up the kids. But they're all wearing Always. Have a happy period.
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    I don't see how this is any better than the Pre ad.
    i don't see how this CAN'T be better the the Pre ads. Had i not made my mind up already to buy a Pre those commercials would have deterred me. Just weird.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    I don't see how this is any better than the Pre ad. Putting 'you' in the commercial about 200 times is sucha marketing thing to do. You can see the marketing managers drawing it out on their whiteboards. You, you, you. Brilliant!

She goes to school. She goes to work. She's picking up the kids. But they're all wearing Always. Have a happy period.

The Pre adverts I and most other watchers have seen must be different to the ones you have seen. The creepy lady adverts have been panned by almost everyone that has seen them.

Even a really old Palm advert from the Palm OS days (see the youtube link in my signature below) is better than the new ones.
    The Palm Pre advert that should have been http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHsz8BxDk

Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx
    Yeah I saw like 10 palm pre adverts on CNN today with that creepy albino lady.. *shudders*
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I thought the palm ad was for Tampax.
    I think "you" knows what a phone can do in general. These commercials are a bit dumb as well.

What "you" doesn't know is what HTC (or a Palm Pre) can do that might be remarkably different while also showing that yep, it's got the popular stuff too like multitouch browser, multimedia, etc.

People in general know what the iphone can do because its front and center and they focus on the screen. In a way, seeing this phone in action like this has shaped what people might expect to find. IMO, the masses would still be oblivious to browsing on the phone if Apple didn't push it. But others don't need to spend much time educating the public because of Apple. Just long enough to show the public, yep, this phone does that too. See?

I prefer the phone being the star of the commercial. It's what the companies spent money on designing.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    I think both the HTC and the old Palm ads are generic and boring. The new ads are far more memorable and everyone knows that even bad memorable ads are better than generic forgettable ones.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC 3200 (bad move) > Treo Pro (not as bad but still WinMo) > Palm Pre
    Those ads are way better than the offbeat Pre ads. Particularly like the one from the perspective of the phone, heh. Good to see HTC going more mainstream, I have a secret love for them as my last mobile was a Touch HD.
    I don't think the commercial is that great, but def better than creepy ghost lady. She needs to gtfo.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cgk View Post
    i thought the palm ad was for tampax.
    :-) :-) :-) :-)

Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by krakajak View Post
    Those ads are way better than the offbeat Pre ads. Particularly like the one from the perspective of the phone, heh. Good to see HTC going more mainstream, I have a secret love for them as my last mobile was a Touch HD.
    Then you will love the Touch HD2

I am probably going to get a Pre and HD2 from the UK. Until last week I had been on a 6 month journey of discovering and oggling the PRE but after seeing the HD2 I have to have them BOTH

p.s. Agree with you re the Ads, the current ones from Palm suck like a big sucky thing

The first of the two ads you linked is not only annoying upon watching it, it's going to be annoying me all damn day. I would change the channel if that came on more than once, so as not to ever watch it again. I like the second one.

Palm's ghost lady commercials got them more press and attention than a "cooler" commercial would have. I don't like them, necessarily, but they don't make me want to turn off the tv like that first htc ad would.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    I find it hard to believe that anyone really thinks the adverts from Palm achieved their goal of marketing the Pre well so that the device was better known. I think it failed miserably and a few geeks going on about how bad it was doesn't count.

I watch those HD2 videos and I really like that phone.

That would be the phone at the top of my list if I were to leave my 3GS.

Quote Originally Posted by as147 View Post
    Then you will love the Touch HD2

I am probably going to get a Pre and HD2 from the UK. Until last week I had been on a 6 month journey of discovering and oggling the PRE but after seeing the HD2 I have to have them BOTH

p.s. Agree with you re the Ads, the current ones from Palm suck like a big sucky thing