Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    I am seriously enjoying the Pre. There are obvious problems.. slider and system lag being the most annoying. I do find the keyboard to be rather compact, but not prohibitively so. The UI is amazing, and I love the homebrew community.

However, the Samsung (I can't believe they called it this) Moment is really tempting me. I spent a couple years on WinMo before coming to the Pre. I haven't actually experienced Android.

There are just too many little niceties on the Samsung that are really pushing me in that direction. The 800mhz processor is an obvious one. I also much prefer the side sliding keyboard. The physical Call/End buttons are also a nice touch. Something to be said for physical buttons.

I am so utterly conflicted right now. I am still within my 30 days, so cost isn't a factor. This would largely be a non-issue if the Pre didn't suffer from system lag. I'm aware it CAN be addressed, but a patch off in the theoretical distance doesn't mean a whole lot right now.

The few remaining shreds of sanity I have left thank you for any input you have.
    Well I have a Samsung Instinct and can't wait for my contract to be up to get out of this phone. If the Moment is anything like the Instinct I would very wary. My phone calls people out of my contacts with out any prompting.
    Samsung Instinct has a Samsung OS. Moment will be Android. Still, Pre for me.
    OS is nice on the Moment, but it's one UGLY phone!
    i have been spoiled by the Hero's SenseUI...... no Sense, no deal.....
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    I heard Moment only has 1.5 and not even 1.6. If you are interested in Android, Droid might be a better choice.

I am sticking with my Pre and go with the wave! I can see a lot of exciting changes - good changes coming.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    OS is nice on the Moment, but it's one UGLY phone!
    While it isn't up to say the looks of the Pre, I wouldn't consider it ugly.

As for the UI.. The SenseUI is nice looking, but certainly not enough to get me to use a Hero. Its gotta have a physical keyboard.

Really, for me it comes down to the hardware of the Moment vs the software of the Pre. (except the lag) Its a very difficult decision. The biggest problem for me is that my 30 days is up on the 31st.

I'll at least have to exchange my Pre for a new one due to the slider. Otherwise, I'll have to return it and reactivate my Touch Pro. Then, wait a few days and buy the Moment. I could then at least make a somewhat informed decision, but would be a real hassle.
    Hero = No Keyboard
    Moment = Same Old UI as G1
    Droid = Too Big for Me(and its gonna be $$$)

The android phone for me hasnt been made yet...If an android phone is released that gets my blood rushing the way pre did then I will get it but my bar is set very high....Its gonna take an incredible phone to make me switch from pre...when it comes to my next phone I wont be easy to please at all...
    If there is an android phone that would make me consider ditching my pre it would be the droid. Being that it wont be on sprint, I'll be sticking with my pre.
    I thought I'd be unhappy with a virtual keyboard - my clear preference has always been for a real keyboard too. But you ought to give the Hero a real try. It's without a doubt the best virtual keyboard I've ever used. I'm very happy with it. The Moment is tempting, though.
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Did not want to double post thread...

I get to upgrade soon and was pretty set on the Pre, then with just a Moment's notice I have a dilemma. It's all about getting the features I want and the Pre had the most until the Moment came along. I am just looking for some opinions to help me decide. Here are the core features I like about both. Touchscreen, QWERTY, E-mail/Push, Full Internet, Social Networking, Flash/camera, Wifi/stereo BT, overall performance- not overly sluggish or behind the market for most tasks. Obviously no phone is quite perfect yet but this generation is getting there. I am not afraid to hack the hell out of my phone (sense UI, rooting etc.) here's a quick rundown of the contrasting features i appreciate.

PRE:
    WebOS (strong platform but still young)
    Intuitive UI
    Multi-apps
    Multi-Touch
    Dedicated development (Palm's flagship created and produced by Palm)
    Apps low but promising development
    Notify LED(hacked)
    Plus more i can't think of right now...

MOMENT:
    Android (open, strong, more mature)
    AMOLED (drool factor!)
    Fast Processor in market for platform
    Apps I like Android apps!
    Removable/Upgradeable Storage
    Vanilla UI is minus but I feel tottally fine to hack to Sense or other
    Not sure how phone will perform with hacked UI
    Is it Multi-Touch capable?
    Did I mention AMOLED!

Price is close in my mind i can find a deal on either so not really a factor more of a tie breaker where Pre would win.

As far as Android phones go the specs on the Moment make it attractive. Know that the HERO just doesn't do it for me it looks good but the specs just are not there for me. Also I love Sprint been with them since 2000 and I'm sticking with them! So chime in and let me know what your thoughts are push me over the fence one way or the other i'm about to flip a coin here!

All opinions are appreciated (except iphone garbage!)
    thanks!

Final note I am double posting this at ANDROIDCENTRAL to get both perspectives just FYI.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I've been agonizing with this as well. I love WebOS but don't think I can deal with the lag- especially when accessing the calender and contacts. This is going to be my first smart phone and I have to say that I drool over the Pre, but the performance issues get to me. I would love to see some head-to-heads where you have a Pre next to an Android phone like a Hero or Moment and I can truly compare the calender and contacts access times.
    I had the Pre from day one and switched to the hero. I am very happy. It has much less lag than the pre, especially the calendar. I also like a hard keyboard, but agree with doublebullout than the keyboard on the hero is superb. Very easy to use with the word suggestions. I am getting faster with it than the hard keys on the pre.

The lack of medical apps,the ridiculous lag with the calendar and the lack of basic features were just wearing on me. I have the hero with all the bells and whistles.
    The seven "scene" screens to me are just like pre's cards....only better. I have hundreds of cool apps to put on them!

Try it....you will have less stress!
    just looked at some moment vids on youtube...

some issues i found:
    the keyboard layout with the space bar between the V and B keys seems awkward

no multitouch

stock G1 UI

still I will make the trip to sprint and play with the device but so far the pre is me...
    Quote Originally Posted by rcyphermd View Post
    I had the Pre from day one and switched to the hero. I am very happy. It has much less lag than the pre, especially the calendar. I also like a hard keyboard, but agree with doublebullout than the keyboard on the hero is superb. Very easy to use with the word suggestions. I am getting faster with it than the hard keys on the pre.

The lack of medical apps,the ridiculous lag with the calendar and the lack of basic features were just wearing on me. I have the hero with all the bells and whistles.
    The seven "scene" screens to me are just like pre's cards....only better. I have hundreds of cool apps to put on them!

Try it....you will have less stress!
    I disagree with this statement: "The seven "scene" screens to me are just like pre's cards....only better". Pre: Card is individual program. Hero: 1 Scene can have multiple widgets. To me, the biggest issue with the Hero or Android phone in general is that I have no idea what apps are running or can be running in the background. With card, I can tell because I can see each card right in front of me. I played with Hero and got pretty frustrated.

Another thing is that the Pre's browser wins. Hero's browser is so sluggish. Even though it has multitouch, it is very laggy.

I think both are good OS, but Pre is so much easier to navigate compared to Android devices. I do believe that the lag that we are experiencing on the Pre will get eliminated with future updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenx View Post
    There are just too many little niceties on the Samsung that are really pushing me in that direction. The 800mhz processor is an obvious one. I also much prefer the side sliding keyboard. The physical Call/End buttons are also a nice touch. Something to be said for physical buttons.
    Even though the Moment's CPU runs at 800mhz it is still an ARM11 CPU core compared to the Cortex-A8 in the Pre/Droid/3GS.

The Cortex-A8 has double the level 1 cache of the Samsung CPU. It also supports an ARMv7 instruction set compared to Samsungs ARMv6 instruction set.

The Mhz wars are over guys.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    All of which might actually mean something if webOS could take advantage of it. Look, I've used the Pre for nearly 3 months. Since the Hero came out, I've been using it as my main phone. And everytime I pull the Pre out to play with it and compare, I'm amazed yet again how webOS manages to do so much less with a better chipset.