Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I don't know, but it seems to me WebOS/Pre is losing alot of 'momentum' and PRPRPR. $It$ $seems$ $that$ $Androids$ $wave$ $of$ $new$ $devices$ $on$ $so$ $many$ $different$ $carriers$ $is$ $smothering$ $the$ $Pre$.

There are more and more apps that seem to be going Android but not Pre. Most of the 'cloud' services for example. I love SugarSync, and of course they have an iphone app, a new Android app, but no mention of Pre.

Palm has got to pull out all stops now or this rocket may run out of fuel before reaching escape velocity. My opinion:

Have to get on Verizon (AT&T additionally would be a plus) and not just appear, but have major POP exposure. Otherwise 'Droid' is going to bury them into insignificance.

They have to figure out what makes this OS so sluggish at times. WIth that, they have to rewrite email and calendar and get it right. These are the 'killer apps' for a smartphone and email sucks compared to banging through email on a BB or even ChatterEmail.

They have to aggressively pursue more developers and open up the device to lower level apps. Even if it risks a few going haywire as these apps just don't compare to the iphone's unless they are pure web type apps.

They need to release some new form facors fast. Perhaps a Pixie Sr. that is bigger and more inline with like a Treo 700 (but much slicker and thinner). We all would love essentially a Pixie with a bigger screen and keyboard. This slider make the phone look cool but detracts from one handed operation and appears its going to be the physical fault point of the majority of these phones.

If they can't accomplish all of the above in six months, I think without being acquired, it's game over for Palm.
    Mark F Chinsky
    Palm needs to license WebOS to other hardware developers. They have no chance against the onslaught of Apple, Windows Mobile and Android by releasing one phone per year. I love my Pre, but for some reason, I expect to have an Android phone in 5 years, not a Palm.
    What??? First Palm just digged itself out of the grave just a couple months ago. WebOS is brand new, still being tweaked out and developed for.

Android had a head start, and you could have easily said the samething about it a year ago.

This is all basically just jumping the gun here. Way to early to say WebOS is dying down.
    All the posts on here about WebOS death, makes me thing of WebOS as Mark Twain. Rumors of my death are not quite true.

Pixi hits in November. PRPRPR $and$ $such$ $happens$ $in$ $cycles$. $Android$ $is$ $getting$ $a$ $wave$ $now$. $There$ $is$ $the$ $biggest$ $group$ $of$ $fickle$ $phone$ $jumpers$ $on$ $here$ $who$ $seem$ $to$ $have$ $a$ $problem$ $with$.... &$quot$;$Oh$, $something$ $shiny$!&$quot$;
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Squirrel!!!
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by titansluvpre View Post
    What??? First Palm just digged itself out of the grave just a couple months ago. WebOS is brand new, still being tweaked out and developed for.

Android had a head start, and you could have easily said the samething about it a year ago.

This is all basically just jumping the gun here. Way to early to say WebOS is dying down.
    The voice of logic and reason in this thread. Quite refreshing.
    Frankly, I have to say I think the idea of Palm licensing WebOS to other hardware vendors is a fantastic idea. I doubt that Palm would go for it though, any more than Apple would. Both companies have a long-standing tradition of combining great hardware AND software into proprietary signature products.

Palm, I would say even more than Apple, has struggled some to find their true identity. Heck -- until recently, Palm's most successful hardware devices sported the Microsoft OS, so they clearly fancy themselves a hardware company. But I believe their plan to revive their company depends heavily on the reunification of great hardware AND software.

Still, there's no question that they need to diversify their platform. The Pixi is basically a moderately retooled Pre, and I feel like its being marketed that way. They need to start releasing more truly unique devices. For instance, their next device to leverage WebOS should be designed and marketed from the ground up as a "hip" and fun gaming and media device, rather than the standard industrial black organizer phone for "busy professionals". Show the world that WebOS not only helps you get stuff done and keep track of your life, but that it's exciting and fun, too.

Edit: And for crying out loud, get rid of that darn ugly default background! I mean the green-and-pink wallpaper image of sea-plants or whatever -- it makes me want to puke.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I think WebOS is going to limp on but it's never going to a major player. However if the minority of people who pick it, like, who cares?
    I didn't realize the Pixi and Pre = 1 phone a year.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Don't forget, there are also other markets away from US and here in Europe the Pre HAS the momentum. I don't see WebOS dying, but expanding. Android has a big market share, but I don't have seen ONE android phone outside a store
    Quote Originally Posted by titansluvpre View Post

A company expecting patience from its customers will lose those customers, because the customers will lose patience. Nuff said. (And no: I don't know who Nuff was and/or when he said that)
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 10/22/2009 at 11:44 AM.
  12. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Andriod barely had any devices or apps or traction in the first four months. Now though its really gaining momentum.
    Palm has done wonders with WebOS but cannot take their foot off the gas. With Andriod 2.0 imminent (and looking sweet) 1.3 is the most important release to date!!! That said, one big push for palm and well all be lauding them again...
    Good god. Here we go again.

The phone released in June. Follow up hardware is coming shortly.

Take a valium, listen to some new age music, or whatever. You bought into a new OS and all of the great things and hardships it brings.
    There is room for everybody in the smartphone space, just like we have multiple car manufactures that are successful.

What people need to realize is smartphones only make up about 14% of all mobile phones word wide. This is expected to grow dramatically in the next few years. That is a lot of potential customers for everyone.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    There is room for everybody in the smartphone space, just like we have multiple car manufactures that are successful.

What people need to realize is smartphones only make up about 14% of all mobile phones word wide. This is expected to grow dramatically in the next few years. That is a lot of potential customers for everyone.
    QFT....I was just saying this lastnight to another smartphone friend. I even observed around the bar I was at to see what phones people had.

2 Iphones, 1 HTC(my friend) and of course my PRE.....out of 35+ other people, that was it.

Everything else was a flip phone or whatever stylish new regular phone was out.
    While I LOVE the Pre and WebOS I have not drank the Palm Kool-Aid. I do worry about the platform's long term future. Not because it's not good enough but because of the enormous momentum Android seems to be gathering lately.

I also completely fail to understand the rationale behind releasing a device (Pixi) which is LESS powerful than the Pre. IMHO it would have been a whole lot better if the new device would be an improved Pre. Palm needs powerful kick *** phones to stand out compared to Apple and the (really cool) Android devices that are being released / announced lately. I really don't see how a low-budget phone is gonna do any good here.

WebOS is absolutely awesome but there's a lot of caveats ahead for Palm. It really is easy to have it die a premature death if the company doesn't execute right.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    A year ago, everyone was saying Android wasn't going to take off, especially with the G1 being as lack luster as it was. Now look at it, lots of new phones, some pretty standard, some flashy but lots of hype and tons of apps.

WebOS is new and it has its growing pains like everything else. Palm is fighting an uphill battle by keeping the hardware in house though I fear. It limits the amount of exposure, and exposure is what will help it thrive and gain as many new apps as the Android phones and the Iphone.

If at this time next year the only options are still the Pre and the Pixi, then talk of death is probably appropriate, but right now you have to stay the course and think that it will survive amonst the others as it is now.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    While I LOVE the Pre and WebOS I have not drank the Palm Kool-Aid. I do worry about the platform's long term future. Not because it's not good enough but because of the enormous momentum Android seems to be gathering lately.

I also completely fail to understand the rationale behind releasing a device (Pixi) which is LESS powerful than the Pre. IMHO it would have been a whole lot better if the new device would be an improved Pre. Palm needs powerful kick *** phones to stand out compared to Apple and the (really cool) Android devices that are being released / announced lately. I really don't see how a low-budget phone is gonna do any good here.

WebOS is absolutely awesome but there's a lot of caveats ahead for Palm. It really is easy to have it die a premature death if the company doesn't execute right.
    No they don't need powerful kick *** phones to stand out. Palm sold millions of Centros when everyone said it was a joke. The market for the Pixi is there and it will sell.

Palm has already stated their marketing stance...

Pre - High End
    Pixi - Entry Level
    Treo - Business

I am waiting to see what they will replace the Treo with. I am thinking a wider pixi with the Pre internals.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    I think Pixi will really sell well. That shouldn't have as many hardware issues as the Pre does.

Also, WebOS really needs some ironing out.
    I just wish they would make things snappier...
    Android beats all in the sense that e-mails and stuff come out in 1 second, and Iphone 3GS also improves speed tremendously from the 3G, which already feels faster than the Pre. (though I'd never buy an Apple product).
    My Pre takes SO long for simple tasks like opening e-mails, adding contacts, and setting events/calendar stuff.

My sister, who still has an iphone 3g, is able to use her iphone so easily and quickly... Her calendar is actually usable.

I'm crossing my fingers for Palm. I love underdogs and I want them to succeed.
    However, they have some work to do.
    The problem is perspective. Palm, like this new Droid thing, came out of the gate with a bunch of **** and vinegar as an iPhone killer. That was stupid then, and stupider now. Against the iPhone, the Pre is already dead from a market perspective. Against WinMo or Android, the Pre is a viable competitor. The Pre is doing just fine in its class. That is what Palm and Palm users need to concentrate on.

WebOS is already much better than any Symbian offering. In time, it could give RIM a run for their money. For now, I think how it does against Android and WinMo is more telling of how WebOS is doing as a platform.
Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast