Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 256
  1. #161  
    Quote Originally Posted by awesomepatrol View Post
    Sorry, but you really don't have any idea what you're talking about.
    Very insightful.

    Let's talk about core apps that are desperately in need of optimization: calendar and phone.

    Will the GPU fix the lag between day views on the calendar? Will the GPU help the phone app launch quickly enough before the call is dropped? Will it help with the "too many cards" problem?
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
  2. #162  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Ok...you guys win. Nobody needs apps running natively, and Palm should keep on letting that hardware in the Pre lay dormant. It's turned out swimmingly so far as evidenced by the App Catalog's awesome and well-priced titles, and it'll keep on going against the likes of Shazam, Rock Band/Guitar Hero, Layar, ShopSaavy, Madden, Skee-Ball, Spotify and so on and so on.

    Who'd want to waste time with crap when you can buy translation dictionaries and pic hunt apps?

    Go WebOS! Yay!!!!!
    Correct. Why bother with apps that can, you know, do something? Palm FTW!!$@!one!!
  3. #163  
    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post
    Speaking strictly as a non-programmer point of view, could this be possibly what Palm's intentions are, have the front end on webos and "heavy work" on the back end (web).
    from what I've read, the Mojo framework is what ties the HTML/Javascript apps into the native services that are running on the device as well as remote services.
  4. mulcher's Avatar
    Posts
    227 Posts
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
       #164  
    Quote Originally Posted by titansluvpre View Post
    What??? First Palm just digged itself out of the grave just a couple months ago. WebOS is brand new, still being tweaked out and developed for.

    Android had a head start, and you could have easily said the samething about it a year ago.

    This is all basically just jumping the gun here. Way to early to say WebOS is dying down.
    Life is tough. If you are in the Major leagues and try and give an excuse as to why your 10million/year *** struck out, it won't cut it.

    Palm was late to the party. You can't show up at midnight and expect everybody to give you a do-over. You better show up with knock your socks off stuff because your competitors aren't giong to wait around. This is what makes free enterprise great, regardless of what our stupid current government thinks.

    It's not about being nice and fair, it's about winning.

    Also, Palms stock price is now cratering. Historically, wall street sees the future long before others and this seems to be the case ehre.
    Mark F Chinsky
  5. mulcher's Avatar
    Posts
    227 Posts
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
       #165  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    No they don't need powerful kick *** phones to stand out. Palm sold millions of Centros when everyone said it was a joke. The market for the Pixi is there and it will sell.

    Palm has already stated their marketing stance...

    Pre - High End
    Pixi - Entry Level
    Treo - Business

    I am waiting to see what they will replace the Treo with. I am thinking a wider pixi with the Pre internals.
    The Centro sold about a million phones. What apple sells in less than a month. And I think Palm either broke even or lost money on them because they were so cheap. That's not success IMHO
    Mark F Chinsky
  6. mulcher's Avatar
    Posts
    227 Posts
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
       #166  
    Quote Originally Posted by titansluvpre View Post
    I really dont understand some of the thought processes in here.....WebOS/PRE has been out what 5 months?

    First there were the complaints about what the phone couldnt do, and updates needed in the first 2 weeks. Guess what? We have had how many updates in 5 months? With another one possibly in Nov.

    If you feel Palm is not going quick enough with WebOS and the PRE then maybe you shouldnt have gotten a PRE.
    I'm tired of hearing that answer. The real statement is the iPhone has been out 2.5 years. Why should a consumer give a s_it as to how long the phone has been out. They want to buy the best device available at the time. If you are 2 years late to the party and can't even match the competition, you shouldn't even be playing.
    Mark F Chinsky
  7. mulcher's Avatar
    Posts
    227 Posts
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
       #167  
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    I've always used early release software, I know what I get into and I'm a software developer myself. But I've never felt as irate with a product as with the Pre.

    I can't put my finger on it but it's almost as if the most grating bugs were handpicked to ship with the phone.

    System sounds in the most inappropriate moments, a phone app that fails to launch in time to answer incoming calls, a calendar that's unusable in a business context, a music player that chops off tracks, doesn't resume and won't scrub. And lastly a multitasking OS with no memory management and storage for apps.

    It's like a giant prank.
    Why does nobody mention that I you can't think of a modern smart phone with a slower way to manage and read a high volume of emails? To me this is the #1 app that has to be done right.

    ChatterEmail did it right. They tossed Marc Blank (probably because when he saw the Pre email, he said it sucked moose weenage).and said, that's whats gonna ship.
    Mark F Chinsky
  8. #168  
    Quote Originally Posted by mulcher View Post
    Life is tough. If you are in the Major leagues and try and give an excuse as to why your 10million/year *** struck out, it won't cut it.

    Palm was late to the party. You can't show up at midnight and expect everybody to give you a do-over. You better show up with knock your socks off stuff because your competitors aren't giong to wait around. This is what makes free enterprise great, regardless of what our stupid current government thinks.

    It's not about being nice and fair, it's about winning.

    Also, Palms stock price is now cratering. Historically, wall street sees the future long before others and this seems to be the case ehre.
    Okay, so, here's my question to you: are you arguing that Palm might fail because they're too "late to the party"? Or are you arguing that Palm is moving too slowly (on purpose?) and that they should just move faster already?

    Because the way I see it, it's legitimate to point out that WebOS has only been released for a few months, compared to Android's year-plus head start and the iPhones two years, if your objective is to understand why the platform isn't as fully developed. On the other hand, if your point is that Palm is in an unfavorable competitive position by being behind, then one looks at the situation completely differently. Both are valid points, but with entirely different purposes.

    It seems like some folks are talking at cross purposes here. Some, like myself, are saying merely that one can't expect WebOS to be as developed as Android and iPhone simply because Palm hasn't had the same amount of time (for whatever reason, including poor planning). And, Palm is a much smaller company without the resources that Apple and Google can throw at their platforms. We're saying, in essence: be patient, cut 'em some slack, and given time we believe (hope?) that they'll make WebOS into the platform we want it to become.

    This isn't to say that Palm should somehow be "given" the time by its competitors--they certainly won't be, and shouldn't be. Palm might certainly fail, because their efforts are too little, too late. But that's not the same as saying that Palm can somehow miraculously accelerate their development, or that for some odd reason they're purposefully moving slowly. I say: they're moving as fast as they can, whether that's fast enough or not.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  9. #169  
    Quote Originally Posted by mulcher View Post
    I'm tired of hearing that answer. The real statement is the iPhone has been out 2.5 years. Why should a consumer give a s_it as to how long the phone has been out. They want to buy the best device available at the time. If you are 2 years late to the party and can't even match the competition, you shouldn't even be playing.
    As I'm thinking about it, I also have to ask: what's your point? Okay, so, let's grant your premises: Palm's late to the party, WebOS is undeveloped, poorly developed, and uncompetitive. Now what?

    See, if I were you, that's the point at which I'd move on to something else.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  10. #170  
    Quote Originally Posted by mulcher View Post
    The Centro sold about a million phones. What apple sells in less than a month. And I think Palm either broke even or lost money on them because they were so cheap. That's not success IMHO
    The Centro sold 3 million phones.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  11. #171  
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    The GPU could be used to accelerate the how the screen is being drawn so that the applications appear to be more responsive. It has been done with desktop OSes for decades and when Apple ported OS X to ARM for the iphone, that also included their hardware accelerated Quartz drawing engine. If Palm upgraded to the latest version of DirectFB, they would get some of this since it has OpenGL support. There is also a webkit subproject to enable hardware accelerated OpenGL in the HTML 5 canvas, but given that it was announced a few months ago, when will it show up in webOS is anyone's guess.

    Another potential source for a speed up would be to include a Javascript "just-in-time" compiler for webkit. It appears that someone from Apple is helping out...you think Palm would have someone too given that Javascript performance is key to webOS.
    https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=24986
    BTW, here are some benchmarks of this vs Google's V8:
    The battle for the title: the fastest ARM JavaScript Engine. Round one. | WebKit Apocrypha

    If someone didn't care about getting into Palm's catalog and was content being a homebrew application, they could create their own services similar to what has been done at webos-internals with Java or C/C++. A HTML & Javascript app would provide a UI and all the 'heavy work' could be done in the service.
    Quartz Extreme was not added to OS X until Jaguar (10.2) which was their 3rd major revision to the OS. Being that Ruby is an ex-Apple guy I can see him taking the same approach with webOS, but hopefully we won't have to wait until webOS 3.0 to get GPU accelerated graphics.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  12. stockh's Avatar
    Posts
    401 Posts
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    #172  
    Quote Originally Posted by mulcher View Post
    Also, Palms stock price is now cratering. Historically, wall street sees the future long before others and this seems to be the case ehre.
    Palm is up over 1000% from a year ago. Wall street most definitely sees something!
  13. #173  
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    that's what eclipse is for!
    Someone should tell Palm that.
  14. #174  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Someone should tell Palm that.
    it's a lot easier when the SDK is based primarily on java. It would be nice if they could get Aptana's javascript debugger to communicate with the emulator though.
  15. dwing's Avatar
    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    #175  
    Wow alot of resentment here. I can't quite wrap my head around some of the things people are saying though! I sell cellphones for a living, and I'm a programer on the side. I test nearly every phone I sell to see what it can do. I've had a Pre since day one and I really can't find much wrong with it. Some people out there are saying email is slow? Maybe ur just in crappy coverage or ur retarted, because my pre gets my email faster than blackberry and I presonally think it's easier to use than Iphone. While google has made a nice attempt at an os with android, I don't think it compares with many of the pre features, especially multi-tasking! They do currently have more developers onboard, but they had the headstart. Never owned an iphone but I gave away my Itouch 2.0 after a month of having the Pre as I NEVER USED IT! The sound quality from my pre is much better playing the same files. While pre doesn't have the apps that apple does let's break this down. 80,000+ apps. How many are duplicates? ALOT! How many are complete garbage? ALOT! How many of them are a 1 use thing that's fun for 5 minutes then you throw them away and waste ur .99? ALOT? What does this leave us with? 1000+ useful apps? maybe??? I'd rather have 1000 useful apps in a catalog then a bunch of crap! On the other side of that, app developers for android that don't port to WebOS are the ones I'm worried about. They have a bunch of real developers working on some great stuff. I just can't personally get into the feel of Android. I don't like the way it looks or responds. My only real gripe (like so many others) is the calendar. It's ok, but could be better, and I'm sure we'll see it evolve. The other things on my wishlist are document editors, widescreen display on all cards, video, and native onscreen keyboard. Which are all in the works and I'm willing to wait for because I believe in Palm, they're the only cell manufacturer that hasn't let me down yet! Which is another great reason why outsourcing(while profitable)would be a mistake!
  16. #176  
    I love this line of thinking: it takes 100k apps to get to 1k quality apps.

    If that is the case, how do you think the WebOS catalog is going to look after a couple thousand apps that can't access the hardware, and must be able to run on the badly spec'd Pixi? How long you think it will take Palm to reach even that lowly bar?
  17. #177  
    All I expect is a good calendar, a personal finance app like Mint, and a better tasks app.

    All of which are perfect for webOS.
  18. #178  
    Quote Originally Posted by dwing View Post
    Wow alot of resentment here. I can't quite wrap my head around some of the things people are saying though! I sell cellphones for a living, and I'm a programer on the side. I test nearly every phone I sell to see what it can do. I've had a Pre since day one and I really can't find much wrong with it. Some people out there are saying email is slow? Maybe ur just in crappy coverage or ur retarted, because my pre gets my email faster than blackberry and I presonally think it's easier to use than Iphone. While google has made a nice attempt at an os with android, I don't think it compares with many of the pre features, especially multi-tasking! They do currently have more developers onboard, but they had the headstart. Never owned an iphone but I gave away my Itouch 2.0 after a month of having the Pre as I NEVER USED IT! The sound quality from my pre is much better playing the same files. While pre doesn't have the apps that apple does let's break this down. 80,000+ apps. How many are duplicates? ALOT! How many are complete garbage? ALOT! How many of them are a 1 use thing that's fun for 5 minutes then you throw them away and waste ur .99? ALOT? What does this leave us with? 1000+ useful apps? maybe??? I'd rather have 1000 useful apps in a catalog then a bunch of crap! On the other side of that, app developers for android that don't port to WebOS are the ones I'm worried about. They have a bunch of real developers working on some great stuff. I just can't personally get into the feel of Android. I don't like the way it looks or responds. My only real gripe (like so many others) is the calendar. It's ok, but could be better, and I'm sure we'll see it evolve. The other things on my wishlist are document editors, widescreen display on all cards, video, and native onscreen keyboard. Which are all in the works and I'm willing to wait for because I believe in Palm, they're the only cell manufacturer that hasn't let me down yet! Which is another great reason why outsourcing(while profitable)would be a mistake!

    i hate when people say that out of 80k apps only 1k is good maybe tops no more no less!! some joe shmo magically came up with this 1k figure out of no where and now people are copying it and spamming all the forums with this scientific figure. give me a break they have tons of good apps more then 1k stop living in your fantasy world! you sounds like a palm fan boy! plus i liked the pre the one month i had it the card view is awsome the os is pretty good etc...... android i feel for me is a better choice so its just depends on the person. just dot sit there and say all the apps on the iphone are crap to make you live with your palm pre that has no apps (as of right now)!!
    Last edited by stevo101; 10/28/2009 at 02:13 AM.
  19. #179  
    Quote Originally Posted by stevo101 View Post
    give me a break they have tons of good apps more then 1k stop living in your fantasy world!
    I own a G1 and have followed the Android Market from day 1. In the beginning it was really boring and even worse than Palm's app catalog. Only in recent months it started moving. Of all the apps on there there are only a handful of apps I consider useful. I don't need to search the other 70,000 on the App Store.

    The reality is that most of these 10s of thousands of apps are toys, and only a few genuinely useful. And most of the useful ones are a good fit for webOS.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
  20. #180  
    Because the way I see it, it's legitimate to point out that WebOS has only been released for a few months, compared to Android's year-plus head start and the iPhones two years, if your objective is to understand why the platform isn't as fully developed. On the other hand, if your point is that Palm is in an unfavorable competitive position by being behind, then one looks at the situation completely differently. Both are valid points, but with entirely different purposes.
    This all makes for interesting discussion, and perhaps a good MBA case study in a few years. Nevertheless, the problem Palm finds itself in -- regardless of the reasons for it -- is that the splash Palm made with their carefully, methodically developed webOS doesn't have very big ripples anymore. The OS simply isn't good enough or finished enough to gain any traction against its competing platforms. Palm better stop navel-gazing and better get moving fast if they want webOS to survive. End of story.
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

    ...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10

Posting Permissions