Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    PreDon't Voice Dial
    PreDon't Video Capture
    PreDon't have external SDCard

Everything PreDon't - DROID DOES!

Pre=FAIL
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandStone View Post
    Pre=FAIL
    Possibly, but not nearly as badly as your grammar just did.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Actually, Android is fully open source with the exception of some apps that ship on the Google branded versions.
    Same with Maemo. Completely open source with the exception of certain utilities that belong to Nokia and/or third parties, none of which are essential to the platform or OS.

WebOS, on the other hand, is a proprietary, closed source platform built on open source technology. I wonder if we'd see faster development if Palm opened it up to the community... always a double-edged sword, though.

Speaking of Maemo and Android, we'll finally have the ability to compare WebOS to these platforms on a level playing field. Nokia's N900 (GSM) and Motorola's Shale (Verizon) are both Linux-based and use the same OMAP3 processor. Both are launching in the next few weeks.

I haven't been able to get my hands on a Shale, but the N900 runs circles around the Pre and has more than triple the battery life. I expect that Shale will deliver similar returns.

Time for Palm to pick up the pace...
    Quote Originally Posted by SiniStereO View Post
    Speaking of Maemo and Android, we'll finally have the ability to compare WebOS to these platforms on a level playing field. Nokia's N900 (GSM) and Motorola's Shale (Verizon) are both Linux-based and use the same OMAP3 processor. Both are launching in the next few weeks.
    "Shale"?!

And people complained about "Pre" and "Pixi"?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Which wasn't the question posed, so I'm not sure why you make that comment. The pre looks like a cheap plastic feature phone, it could be stuffed full of the most expensive hardware and it would still look like a cheap plastic feature phone to me. So no I'm not conflating anything.
    It looks a hell of a lot better than the Droid. The Droid seriously looks like a calculator.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    It looks a hell of a lot better than the Droid. The Droid seriously looks like a calculator.
    The Droid isn't available in the UK so I've not handled it.
    I will say that I've been perusing the Android App Store and, although they claim to have 10,000 apps, its very difficult to find more than a handful of decent games or music apps (my two main interests).

A few of the apps they do offer seem pretty awesome. I can't wait to play Parallel Kingdom for instance. Maybe someday the developer will offer a Pre version, but right now its only for Iphone, ITouch (w/WiFi) and Android. It's a little like the old Ultima Online, except your exploring, conquering and defending territory overlayed over your actual physical location via Google Maps.

From what I can gather, there is no SDK yet available for Android 2.0 (Eclair). And the Android 1.6 (Donut) SDK has only been available for a couple of months. So most of the currently available Android apps were created with the original Android 1.0 (Cupcake) SDK and they suffer from its limitations and the deficiencies of the G1 hardware. It may be 6 months to a year before a decent number of Droid-specific 2.0 apps hit the marketplace. By that time WebOS should have been updated a few times and the number of good WebOS apps may even outnumber the good Android apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandStone View Post
    I will say that I've been perusing the Android App Store and, although they claim to have 10,000 apps, its very difficult to find more than a handful of decent games or music apps (my two main interests).

A few of the apps they do offer seem pretty awesome. I can't wait to play Parallel Kingdom for instance. Maybe someday the developer will offer a Pre version, but right now its only for Iphone, ITouch (w/WiFi) and Android. It's a little like the old Ultima Online, except your exploring, conquering and defending territory overlayed over your actual physical location via Google Maps.

From what I can gather, there is no SDK yet available for Android 2.0 (Eclair). And the Android 1.6 (Donut) SDK has only been available for a couple of months. So most of the currently available Android apps were created with the original Android 1.0 (Cupcake) SDK and they suffer from its limitations and the deficiencies of the G1 hardware. It may be 6 months to a year before a decent number of Droid-specific 2.0 apps hit the marketplace. By that time WebOS should have been updated a few times and the number of good WebOS apps may even outnumber the good Android apps.

that little summary would probably stop alot of hemming and hawing from current pre owners, for whom the current functions are adequate, but are considering jumping ship to a hero.
    There are four lights.
    I have both the pre and hero. I have had the pre since day 1. The hero has SO much more out of the box you cannot even compare them. There are LOTS of cool apps.....it depends upon your interests. Just for SMS replacement there are too many to choose from! Having some real medical apps are great.

I love palm but they are WAY too slow improving the pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by rcyphermd View Post
    I have both the pre and hero. I have had the pre since day 1. The hero has SO much more out of the box you cannot even compare them. There are LOTS of cool apps.....it depends upon your interests. Just for SMS replacement there are too many to choose from! Having some real medical apps are great.

I love palm but they are WAY too slow improving the pre.
    [Sarcasm]Yeah I know, 4 months, 2 handsets, 3 major revisions to the OS. *** Palm. [/Sarcasm]
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    [Sarcasm]Yeah I know, 4 months, 2 handsets, 3 major revisions to the OS. *** Palm. [/Sarcasm]
    Major revisions???? More like bug fixes. I do love my Pre, but.....
    I don't know if the Pre is dying, but there are a couple of health markers that the Pre does not have.

1. Imitation is the highest form of flattery. Where are the Pre KIRFS? I have seen one phone that might meet that description, but one phone is not enough.

2. Competition may be the second highest form of flattery. Where are the Pre competitors? No one that I am aware of has targeted the Pre for comparison or attack. Companies are now defined by their iPhone killer. I have yet to hear about a Pre killer.

I think it is generally a bad sign when no one envies you enough to copy you, or is afraid of you enough to directly compete against you. I understand that the original question was about WebOS, but the Pre is the only, shipping expression of the OS.
    While I buy the competitor and imitation flattery arguments, I think that the real issue is that while a Pre (or other Web OS device) might be an Iphone competitor...the fact is that the world over looks at Apple for comparison. Therefore, the industry and the pundits focus on the difference between Apple and the others, rather than how the others rate among themselves.

I am hoping that the European exposure to the WebOS will bring more momentum to the game. As others have said, the Sprint exclusive was likely a small hindrance to Palm due to the size of the carrier and that there are many others like me who would love to jump but for work or other reasons GSM limits that ability...at least for now.

Palm, get the OS out there. Sell stuff unlocked no matter what...early adopters pay more and create buzz because they are *******. That would be good for you. Carrier exclusives are fine....but don't let them hinder you. And that appears to be what you have been doing.

Just my $0.05
    Not sure why the editor struck the word fan boy?
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    The WebOS SDK does not support the development of 'native' apps.
    I'm not a programmer so I'm not sure what I'm missing.

Can you please explain what programs can be written and what would be the advantages if Palm were to allow "native" apps, vs html,javascript,css?

I read alot of complaining but not alot of justification for opening up the sdk, please enlighten me.
    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post

Can you please explain what programs can be written and what would be the advantages if Palm were to allow "native" apps, vs html,javascript,css?

I read alot of complaining but not alot of justification for opening up the sdk, please enlighten me.
    To quote the post I was responding to

"apps that draw on the power of the underlying Linux architecture? Most apps we see are just shrunken webapps ".

If the only way to develop apps is to use web broswer development tools. The apps will tend to look like "shrunken webapps".
    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post

Well, html/javascript/css essentially work as layers that must be rendered, and as such, they cause a speed hit compared to the app running in native code. Think of it as being the least distance between two points.

Besides that, keeping apps shackled to javascript with limited access to hardware APIs means that much of the hardware of the Pre mostly goes unused. You can't touch the mic or camera or GPU. The accelerometer is accessible, but at an inadequate refresh rate. It's instant discouragement for advanced developers who can do so much more on competing platforms.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Well, html/javascript/css essentially work as layers that must be rendered, and as such, they cause a speed hit compared to the app running in native code. Think of it as being the least distance between two points.

Besides that, keeping apps shackled to javascript with limited access to hardware APIs means that much of the hardware of the Pre mostly goes unused. You can't touch the mic or camera or GPU. The accelerometer is accessible, but at an inadequate refresh rate. It's instant discouragement for advanced developers who can do so much more on competing platforms.
    Palm is already using the camera in webOS so the access is there, it just isn't available yet to the developers.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post

I'm going to assume Palm has agreements with "advanced" developers to take care of the heavy lifting apps.

I can understand Palm's decision if their research revealed that a majority of the apps being developed for the iphone and android platforms only needed html/javascript/css type programming.

can anyone name a few mobile apps out on the iphone or android that take advantage using a full sdk access?
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    "Shale"?!

And people complained about "Pre" and "Pixi"?
    Whoops! Meant "Sholes," not Shale. This is what most people are calling the "Droid" - and you can see why Verizon and Motorola are paying license fees to Lucasfilm, Ltd. for the use of that trademark.

"Droid" is actually the name for the Verizon/Moto Android platform - many handsets will be released under the name "Droid;" the Sholes will be the first.

I'm completely unenthusiastic about Verizon and Android, but I'm looking forward to seeing how fast the Sholes feels in comparison with the Pre. This should give a really good idea of how slow WebOS is.
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast