Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Actually Palm had more choices than that.

WebOS is a great UI and the experience it offers is great.

Another choice they had would've been to go with android and throw their UI on top of it. Imagine Palm not having to fool with an app store. Just launching hardware and tweaking out their version of android.
    Hmmm... I don't think the issue is the Linux OS that's at the root of WebOS. I think WebOS is more than just a UI. Or, to put it another way, Android is the same as WebOS, i.e., Android isn't just a Linux distro. Someone with more technical knowledge about such things can answer this better than I can, but would it have been so easy to stick the WebOS "UI" (if that makes any sense) on top of Android and still run Android apps?

But, again, I'm not going to second guess Palm about things I have no real knowledge about. I do believe that Palm made the right decisions for their situation in regard to making WebOS. And, I don't think that Palm would do well competing in the increasingly crowded Android market against the likes of Samsung, Motorola, and HTC.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by awesomepatrol View Post
    I was just thinking exactly the same thing. Android on the Pre's hardware would be pretty nice.
    Funny, but for some folks, the Pre's hardware is it's greatest weakness. They call it "cheap," "plasticy," etc., and so they probably wouldn't agree with you at all. And, from what I've read, Android so far is pretty much of a dog (and not just in terms of performance). It might be much better in V2.0, but then again, so will WebOS.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianPre View Post
    Right now there is only a few smart phone OS'es.
    -Android v1.6 (speed walking and hits lumbering run at v2.0+)
    -Apple v3.1 (already walking fast..will be running if they add multi-tasking)
    -WebOS v1.2 (using a walker in an attempt to get core features running)
    -Windows Mobile 6.5/7 (jogging in circles like a drunk but may sober up with v7)
    You are forgetting Maemo.

maemo.org - maemo.org: Home of the Maemo community
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    On any platform other than the Pre, these sort of tweaks would not even be possible.
    It's possible on Android.
    It's possible on Maemo.

Both are partly open source(Linux),the same as WebOS, and folks have done a lot of tweaking on them.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Funny, but for some folks, the Pre's hardware is it's greatest weakness. They call it "cheap," "plasticy," etc., and so they probably wouldn't agree with you at all. And, from what I've read, Android so far is pretty much of a dog (and not just in terms of performance). It might be much better in V2.0, but then again, so will WebOS.
    Indeed, the pre looks like a giveaway feature phone to me, not a premium smartphone.
    Hmmm... I don't think the issue is the Linux OS that's at the root of WebOS. I think WebOS is more than just a UI. Or, to put it another way, Android is the same as WebOS, i.e., Android isn't just a Linux distro. Someone with more technical knowledge about such things can answer this better than I can, but would it have been so easy to stick the WebOS "UI" (if that makes any sense) on top of Android and still run Android apps?

But, again, I'm not going to second guess Palm about things I have no real knowledge about. I do believe that Palm made the right decisions for their situation in regard to making WebOS. And, I don't think that Palm would do well competing in the increasingly crowded Android market against the likes of Samsung, Motorola, and HTC.
    I do know TealOS was able to throw the webOS ui as well as it could on an aging Palm OS. Then there's HTC with sense UI, motorolla with Blur, etc.

In the end, Palm wants to sell phones to carriers.

If you don't think Palm's take on android couldn't compete with the likes of Motorolla then why on earth would you think they'd have chances with RIM, Google and Apple?

Palm made WM into one of the best form factors and usability we'd seen on that OS. And didn't someone else other than palm create palm OS?
    Well, I was referring to the actual hardware: the processor, etc. I know that some people are referring to the plastic feel of Pre when they say "hardware," but what they really mean is "build quality."
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Indeed, the pre looks like a giveaway feature phone to me, not a premium smartphone.
    Again, you're conflating underlying hardware with build quality.
    Anybody knows the answer for the following question: are Sprint Navigation, Video and Youtube HTML/Javascript/CSS apps or they are written under something else?
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkerX View Post
    It's possible on Maemo.

Both are partly open source(Linux),the same as WebOS, and folks have done a lot of tweaking on them.
    Actually, Android is fully open source with the exception of some apps that ship on the Google branded versions.
    I wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    ...On any platform other than the Pre, these sort of tweaks would not even be possible.
    And you responded with:
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkerX View Post
    It's possible on Maemo.
    Thanks for your comment. I think Android is pretty cool and thanks for pointing out Maemo to me (and others).
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by myrcgarage View Post
    Anybody knows the answer for the following question: are Sprint Navigation, Video and Youtube HTML/Javascript/CSS apps or they are written under something else?
    They have underlying browser plugins
    Quote Originally Posted by atlanta View Post
    They have underlying browser plugins
    Does it mean if the real SDK is out, people can do a lot more than just HTML/JSJSJS/$CSS$?
    I have always assumed classic for example, must have much much deeper access
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    And didn't someone else other than palm create palm OS?
    No, Palm developed Palm OS, then sold it. Then didn't get its replacement working as they hoped and bought it back or re-licensed, not sure.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by myrcgarage View Post
    Does it mean if the real SDK is out, people can do a lot more than just HTML/JSJSJS/$CSS$?
    No it does not. Those are special cases.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    These are the two biggest advantages that Android has. The WebOS SDK is little more than WebOS running in a VM provided by Sun and a packaging app. Android's SDK provides great IDE integration, a source code debugger and easy access to documentation.
    yeah, what a shocker...a java based system using Eclipse and all the Java plugins that you can get with it along with a QEMU-based emulator and a bunch of packaging tools.
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by awesomepatrol View Post
    Again, you're conflating underlying hardware with build quality.

Which wasn't the question posed, so I'm not sure why you make that comment. The pre looks like a cheap plastic feature phone, it could be stuffed full of the most expensive hardware and it would still look like a cheap plastic feature phone to me. So no I'm not conflating anything.
    Last edited by CGK; 10/24/2009 at 05:23 AM.
    When people were commenting on other OS on the "hardware" they were mainly referring to the pre processor, ram, gpu etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    yeah, what a shocker...a java based system using Eclipse and all the Java plugins that you can get with it along with a QEMU-based emulator and a bunch of packaging tools.
    You forgot the integrated source level debugging and the GPS and call emulation.

Palm's SDK is nothing more than the packaging tools and a port of WebOS to Sun's virtual box.
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast