Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Is there any mention of WebOS apps that draw on the power of the underlying Linux architecture? Most apps we see are just shrunken webapps (like the ones Apple tried to get us to love in the iPhone's first year) but there seems to be a lack of native, linux based apps (like the iPhone Jailbreak community, and later, the App Store community, produces). ***, dude?
    Quote Originally Posted by titansluvpre View Post
    I really dont understand some of the thought processes in here.....WebOS/PRE has been out what 5 months?

First there were the complaints about what the phone couldnt do, and updates needed in the first 2 weeks. Guess what? We have had how many updates in 5 months? With another one possibly in Nov.

If you feel Palm is not going quick enough with WebOS and the PRE then maybe you shouldnt have gotten a PRE.
    The updates fix so very little. The photos and phone apps are still a mess. The app store is still beta. So is the sdk. So is the very OS with its nonsensical menus.

That is not acceptable for five months after launch.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I find it humorous that everybody thinks they know better than Palm how to run Palm. What do you base your analysis on? Except for perhaps a microscopic sliver of you, none of you, myself included, have any idea what's really going on. You have no idea how many webOS devices are out there, no projection for how many will be out there in the next 6 months, and absolutely no idea how many need to be out there in order for Palm to be profitable and for the platform to continue to be viable, whatever that means.

Temporary buzz about other devices has very little to do with what is happening at Palm. We know nothing, so we should all be quiet and just enjoy our devices.
    Well, we are the consumers. We know what we want and that's why most people would say "palm should do this" ...
    From my perspective WebOS is only just finding it's feet.

I remember reading a similar series of threads at the beginning of the year about Android.

And yet I now have a Pre, and my HTC Magic is on eBay...

Good things come to those who wait.
    Last edited by C0deM0nkey; 10/22/2009 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Updated
    Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.
    Martin Golding
    the droid seems to be the first worthwhile android phone, and HOW long did it take them to come out with it? I have faith in Palm, by June 2010 things will definitely be looking up
    Quote Originally Posted by TeacherHax View Post
    Is there any mention of WebOS apps that draw on the power of the underlying Linux architecture? Most apps we see are just shrunken webapps (like the ones Apple tried to get us to love in the iPhone's first year) but there seems to be a lack of native, linux based apps (like the iPhone Jailbreak community, and later, the App Store community, produces). ***, dude?
    The WebOS SDK does not support the development of 'native' apps.
    If web os does succeed it will be at the cost of us early adopters, but in order for it to succeed web os is going to need a huge update and soon. If you have been following these forums you would notice the shift in momentum in the last 2 months, people have gone from praising how great the phone is to complaining and posting about jumping ship and going to new platforms. If palm does not speed things up not only are more people going to jump ship but those people will not be recommending web os to anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post
    If web os does succeed it will be at the cost of us early adopters, but in order for it to succeed web os is going to need a huge update and soon. If you have been following these forums you would notice the shift in momentum in the last 2 months, people have gone from praising how great the phone is to complaining and posting about jumping ship and going to new platforms. If palm does not speed things up not only are more people going to jump ship but those people will not be recommending web os to anyone.
    And then will be right back with the shiny new toy Palm releases.

Early adopters are one of two things.

1. Shiny Toy Freaks/ADD

2. Buy into something that the product does @ its core.
    or people who are looking to upgrade their phone with the most up to date device while remaining with their service provider. 98% of the people who are buying this stuff are not techies and do not understand anything about what a first gen device is, so therefore when those people take what they think is a smart phone and compare it with their friends iphone or android phone surely they will be ****ed to find that they paid the same price for a phone which has half the features. Therefore the result of this is that these people not knowing what a first gen device is will refuse to ever buy a palm phone again and will give bad reviews to anyone interested in buying a web os phone, resulting in a decrease in demand for the phone. Just because you and all your friends may be techies, remember that you guys would not have jobs as techies if not for being outnumbered by the millions of people who are not techies. Since these non-techie folks dominate the market and expect to get the newest up to date device when they pay top dollar for the newest device that is a goal that palm should strive to meet in order to make a long term ROI, or they can take advantage of the consumer and make a large short term ROI to bail their company out and sacrifice the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    The updates fix so very little. The photos and phone apps are still a mess. The app store is still beta. So is the sdk. So is the very OS with its nonsensical menus.

That is not acceptable for five months after launch.
    Ha ha.....after 5 months? Man patience is really not a virtue anymore, especially in the technology world.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post
    or people who are looking to upgrade their phone with the most up to date device while remaining with their service provider. 98% of the people who are buying this stuff are not techies and do not understand anything about what a first gen device is, so therefore when those people take what they think is a smart phone and compare it with their friends iphone or android phone surely they will be ****ed to find that they paid the same price for a phone which has half the features. Therefore the result of this is that these people not knowing what a first gen device is will refuse to ever buy a palm phone again and will give bad reviews to anyone interested in buying a web os phone, resulting in a decrease in demand for the phone. Just because you and all your friends may be techies, remember that you guys would not have jobs as techies if not for being outnumbered by the millions of people who are not techies. Since these non-techie folks dominate the market and expect to get the newest up to date device when they pay top dollar for the newest device that is a goal that palm should strive to meet in order to make a long term ROI, or they can take advantage of the consumer and make a large short term ROI to bail their company out and sacrifice the future.
    Half the features LOL. You guys crack me up.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    whatever man you can try to convince yourself of all of that but considering everything that's going on now with all the apps and programs being made for webos by top companies don't be surprised when webos is up the with the top smart phones sooner than you think.
    Umm...not to be a stickler...but it would be MORE surprising if Palm is 'up there' with the top smart phones on merit rather than lack of actual smart phone OS'es.

Right now there is only a few smart phone OS'es.
    -Android v1.6 (speed walking and hits lumbering run at v2.0+)
    -Apple v3.1 (already walking fast..will be running if they add multi-tasking)
    -WebOS v1.2 (using a walker in an attempt to get core features running)
    -Windows Mobile 6.5/7 (jogging in circles like a drunk but may sober up with v7)

=RIM - needs a total re-write for its software....
    =Symbian - needs to just DIE, along with the manufacturers that support it as their major OS
    =Every other OS (if its not based on the smart phone OS'es...they need to just disappear as they cloud the market with legacy crap that does not do anything for innovation.
    Ha ha.....after 5 months? Man patience is really not a virtue anymore, especially in the technology world.
    hmmmm.....

virtue [ˈvɜːtjuː -tʃuː]
    n
    1. the quality or practice of moral excellence or righteousness
    2. a particular moral excellence the virtue of tolerance

I fail to see how being 'morally correct' by paying a "premium" for an material item then WAITING for someone else to 'fix' it is a good thing. This is an ITEM!

In the realistic world, you pay more for products that do more....not pay more for products that MIGHT do more.

I bought my Pre because it does what I want it to do. That being said, I don't have to tolerate slow applications & core usage. I do tolerate it at this point in time UNTIL another product exceeds the ability and usage of my Pre.

I don't hate Palm or the Pre, but I will move to the product that better suits my needs, especially if the new company does it faster/better. This is not a moral discussion about patience...it's a simple matter of economics. Supply and demand. If Palm can supply a better product...great. If someone else supplies an even better product and Palm can not or will not keep up....then they lose my business.

This isn't rocket science people. It's business. A lot of people can see the writing on the wall....and it is making them (& me) nervous.

Personally, I'm hoping Palm surprises us with a v1.5 that speeds everything up and adds the functionality lost from their previous products and sticks in the features missing (that we know the hardware does). But that's like hoping to see Santa stocking your tree with presents at Xmas.
    Expecting an OS to be finished at a 1.0 state when a device ships is "impatient"? Expecting it five months later is impatient?

Wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    The WebOS SDK does not support the development of 'native' apps.
    There you have it. This is the main reason that WebOS will continue to struggle against Android apps. It (should be) trivial for Palm to release an actual SDK . . . why it refuses to do so is a mystery. They can seemingly allow people to keep writing in javascript if they want but also unlock the actually useful parts to others who want them.

A full SDK that allows access to the mindblowingly-idle GPU would really be a good start.
    I meant to add: Palm needs to take note of the fact that the smartphone market is now dramatically different from when the Pre was in the planning stages. There is simply no excuse for not having a full-blown SDK, and the longer Palm lacks one, the further behind it will fall.
    Palm does not get a pass for being new in the market. They have been making phones for ages. Apple is the newest major player and they certainly don't get a pass. Palm also came out throwing punches at the industry leader. They do not get a pass for having a 1.0 device. If you take a shot at the big boy, you had better be ready to fight.
    what most people want now a days, especially the impatient ones, want the perfect phone now. why because the phone my friend has works better than mine and i want mine to work as same as the other !!!

but people need to realize that the Pre and Webos are unique just like the android is, they have their ups and downs and so do the Pre. Now if you going to all the time that the pre is a POS and apple, RIM, Androis is better then go you yourself have found the solution to your own problem.

Some people may see the downside of the pre and know an update in time will fix these issues. But this is probably only 10% of pre users. the rest need to stylize with a new phone.

and i have to agree with a user who posted early, if Webos stays behind in a year or so then i do see myself with an Android phone. The Android OS is kicking off FAST!! there is an android phone for sprint, t mobile, att, and verizon soon to have one. Hell if they made a Android nextel(where i live nextel is a must) that would dominate the Blackberry 8330i.

Webos is to stay thats for sure, die out never going to happen. this new OS works well, IMO its functions well for a new program but all the want something thats perfect load time and works well with calendars, cause all the phones in the market are perfect ...right? thats why we have so much variety of ...PERFECT PHONES.

Anyways im no die hard Webos or Palm supporter, but i do support their good OS, along with the Android. these are good OS, and pre and pixi are good phones and also the rest of the android phones are great. But webos will stay for a good while. the future holds nothing more but improvements for all phone OS. But then again this is where patience is a virtue... one this world DOES NOT HAVE
    Quote Originally Posted by mulcher View Post
    ... it seems to me WebOS/Pre is losing alot of 'momentum' and PRPRPR. ...
    OK, let's handle this with our own "guerilla marketing" approach:
    • Any time we want to say "Android", we say "hemorrhoid" instead.
    • Any time we want to say "Palm" we say "kitten" instead.
    • Any time we want to say "Pre" we say "pie" instead.
    • Any time we want to say "Pixi" we say "sex" instead.
    • We make "iPhone" a banned word.

I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    OK, let's handle this with our own "guerilla marketing" approach:
    • Any time we want to say "Android", we say "hemorrhoid" instead.
    • Any time we want to say "Palm" we say "kitten" instead.
    • Any time we want to say "Pre" we say "pie" instead.
    • Any time we want to say "Pixi" we say "sex" instead.
    • We make "iPhone" a banned word.

in that case i wouldnt mind getting a "hemorrhoid" after buying a girl a "kitten", then i would offer her "sex" if thats a no then ill get her a "pie", i feel like the "hemorrhoid" is a keeper for me, and she deserves the stylish phone LOL
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast