Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    In the business department I think Palm will have an exceptionally hard time competing with RIM. Even Apple can barely touch them. Most big companies have RIM phones as 'corporate policy' and I don't see that change any time soon (unfortunately). It's almost like Windows. Everyone hates it but corporations just keep using it.

Furthermore in a lot of countries phones are heavily subsidized by the carriers. Therefore I'm not too sure about the need for a low-end phone really.

Once again, I love Palm and WebOS but I'm not convinced they're gonna make it just yet.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    I love the Pre, but people need to realize, that even from an advertising and marketing point of view, people want a phone that does things NOW, not down the road. Yes, webOS is nice and has great potential, but you can't sell that, not when there are phones AVAILABLE NOW that can do things that the Pre can't.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Palm has already stated their marketing stance...

Pre - High End
    Pixi - Entry Level
    Treo - Business

I am waiting to see what they will replace the Treo with. I am thinking a wider pixi with the Pre internals.
    I doubt you will see any more Treos from Palm since they have discontinued development of both PalmOS and Windows.
    Quote Originally Posted by acipollo View Post
    I love the Pre, but people need to realize, that even from an advertising and marketing point of view, people want a phone that does things NOW, not down the road. Yes, webOS is nice and has great potential, but you can't sell that, not when there are phones AVAILABLE NOW that can do things that the Pre can't.
    Very well said
    Quote Originally Posted by creatorbri View Post
    Frankly, I have to say I think the idea of Palm licensing WebOS to other hardware vendors is a fantastic idea. I doubt that Palm would go for it though, any more than Apple would. Both companies have a long-standing tradition of combining great hardware AND software into proprietary signature products.
    Why would a hardware vendor pay to license WebOS when Android is free and why would Palm give WebOS to other hardware vendors?
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I doubt you will see any more Treos from Palm since they have discontinued development of both PalmOS and Windows.
    Not a new Treo but a Treo replacement. Probably a new name with the same form factor of a Treo with webOS. Like I said a bigger Pixi.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Out of all this competition; it's not which platform or which phone is best. It's the strive for innovation that keeps everything going.

A few months from now, likely a year from now; you'll probably see more smartphones with Snapdragon processors and operating systems slowly being enhanced. It's not always about NOW, though shortly after the future does follow. Phones as well as the WebOS will improve, so will iPhone's OS, so will Android and every other operating system out there.
    When I see people here saying "Look at Android. The G1 launch was underwhelming, but now tat platform is on fire. WebOS will do the same!", I scratch my head.

I know they seem analogous, but there are some pretty big differences.

Android is available from multiple manufacturers, and each time one of them puts their unique spin on it like MOTOBLUR or Sense UI, it's news. WebOS is....well, WebOS. Sure, you can use themes if you go through developer mode, Preware, and whatever other hoops. But from a market perspective, that's irrelevant.

Number two, the Android SDK was out before the handset, and it was full-featured from the start, hence them cresting 10K apps in under a year. WebOS's SDK is still in beta form almost five months after launch, and there is no timeline for when that will change. So the likelihood of amassing an app catalog comparable to Android, much less iPhone, is minimal for the forseeable future.

Lastly, because so many manufacturers are behind Android and it will be available on every national carrier except AT&T within the next 30 days with at least two devices per carrier, people have choices and options with Android that they don't with WebOS and other handsets. If you're on T-Mobile and you like the Pre, you have to like it enough to leave your carrier. Android is available in GSM, CDMA, and both keyboardless and QWERTY form factors.

Palm isn't going to be able to match that versatility and availability. Nor can they match the build quality of their rivals. Nor can they offer the software versatility of the Android Market (or App Store).

These are major differentiators just as much as screen size or onboard storage. And I just don't see how Palm overcomes these hurdles easily.
    whatever man you can try to convince yourself of all of that but considing everything that's going on now with all the apps and progams being made for webos by top companies don't be surprised when webos is up the with the top smartphones sooner than you think.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Sure, you can use themes if you go through developer mode, Preware, and whatever other hoops. But from a market perspective, that's irrelevant.
    This. I love my Pre. I'd love to recommend it to people... but... many of the things I love about it come from the Homebrew side. I'm a web developer and techno-geek, so that doesn't bother me -- I actually think it's kinda cool that I can root my phone. But, that's more of an annoyance to my wife or my friends who aren't as geeky. Even other web developers I know would prefer to see their phone just work, rather than have to hack it to get some features.

In terms of capability, I think Android and WebOS are probably about equal. In terms of what a user has to go through to get at it, Palm needs to step up.
    I agree a bit that it isn't really becoming super hot and barely gets a mention in public and it is definitely from a lack of good marketing as well as the lack of common cellphone abilities. The sluggish photo display, lack of being able to do simple things like send photos and text to facebook without using an app the inability to text a voice memo, and just normal cell phone stuff like that has even me*, a fairly non pre-complaining person, open to new phones. They still haven't even worked out basics, and that is pretty lame.
    Last edited by allthewayhome; 10/22/2009 at 01:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    I think Pixi will really sell well. That shouldn't have as many hardware issues as the Pre does.

Also, WebOS really needs some ironing out.
    I just wish they would make things snappier...
    Android beats all in the sense that e-mails and stuff come out in 1 second, and Iphone 3GS also improves speed tremendously from the 3G, which already feels faster than the Pre. (though I'd never buy an Apple product).
    My Pre takes SO long for simple tasks like opening e-mails, adding contacts, and setting events/calendar stuff.

My sister, who still has an iphone 3g, is able to use her iphone so easily and quickly... Her calendar is actually usable.

I'm crossing my fingers for Palm. I love underdogs and I want them to succeed.
    However, they have some work to do.
    QFT...all except the sister part...lol...

I like the WebOS and love my Pre, but realistically I would be insane not to jump ship to the droid phones if they offer the same functionality. now they just need to offer a design similar to the Pre and I would be a 100% convert (looking 6-8mths down the road).

I can't blame the people for expecting more...its hard not to. Its not like Palm is a brand new startup company. They OWNED the cell game for years...and just let it tank. Thats how RIM, APPLE & HTC/Microsoft grabbed market share.

Users have valid issues/concerns.....Why is it taking Palm so long to simply implement the things that worked so well in the past into the new WebOS....quick calendars, fantastic agenda/time management, etc.....

Its not the hardware that's lacking (not counting battery)...its the software under_performing and under_delivering....
    I don't really think so since I just ordered a Pre and I don't have one yet.
    Palm is going to have an uphill battle, no doubt, but I think the OS is solid enough to make the climb.

I thought the same of Android. I don't think Palm is going to go an license the OS, doesn't seem like that's the direction they are headed.

Whether or not they are ultimately successful, well, time will tell. The great thing about this whole smartphone market is, it's small. You can change your fortunes with one release.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    whatever man you can try to convince yourself of all of that but considing everything that's going on now with all the apps and progams being made for webos by top companies don't be surprised when webos is up the with the top smartphones sooner than you think.
    Whistling past the grave...

Palm better take Android seriously or Palm will find itself sliding into Betamaxian obscurity.