Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I again ask, what "must have iPhone apps can't be done in webOS. I will save you the googling and say none.
    Not really the point. The Pre and iPhoneGS have nearly identical guts, but you would never know it from the way they perform.

There's even a wider chasm between the apps, and much of this is due to a horribly limited SDK.

The Pre hardware is capable of almost anything the iPhone can do. WebOS and the WebOS SDK is currently - and for the forseeable future - INcapable of much that iPhone OS can do.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post

I again ask, what "must have iPhone apps can't be done in webOS. I will save you the googling and say none.
    People have already talked about tons of apps in this very thread that cannot be developed for WebOS given the current SDK -- hence your denial.

But whatever, guys, I've wasted enough time with nonsense.
    My point is Mojo doesn't equal Javascript. It is based on Javascript but there is much more to it than that.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    I own a G1 and have followed the Android Market from day 1. In the beginning it was really boring and even worse than Palm's app catalog. Only in recent months it started moving. Of all the apps on there there are only a handful of apps I consider useful. I don't need to search the other 70,000 on the App Store.

The reality is that most of these 10s of thousands of apps are toys, and only a few genuinely useful. And most of the useful ones are a good fit for webOS.
    i have also used android since it came out with tmobile a few days after release. i dont remember it being as slow as the pres in the app section. yes having 80k++++ whatever amount of apps that is so bad you are complaining that there is too much now? to many games? oh my gosh yeah i guess your right that sucks who wants to have 10 choices in one thing that is really a down side now that you mention it!! psyche!!! i only wanna search a few number of apps that is much better and take away all the nice games why would i want those when im bored when i can have fewer choices?! are you people serious?!?!?!?
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    This from Gizmodo today:
    How Palm Lost (Like Apple in the '80s) - Palm pre - Gizmodo

An article I wrote in geardiary:
    The Palm Pre through the eyes of a former Palm OS Treo Business User|Gear Diary

I just don't see how they do it. If the phone was fast and snappy, maybe. But we all know it's sluggish as hell, the sliders are starting to get 'sloppy.', The apps are somewhat limited, and overall it's just not a real productive device. They can't succeed based on a bunch of us wanting them to succeed.

They are financially outgunned by both Apple & Google.

The only prayer is some kind of acquisition by Nokia or Blackberry and get their R&D engine and dollars cranking on this thing as if the world really was going to come to an end in 2012.

If there isn't a marked improvement in speed, fluidness and PIM richness within 12 months max I think we can put a fork in it.

Ok, go ahead and flame me and give me valid business reasons why you think I'm wrong.
    Mark F Chinsky
    No flaming. I think for the most part you are right. As someone pointed out earlier it is starting to look like Palm doesn't have any big name developers backing them up in the App Catlaog. It is mostly homebrew, the phone is definitely laggy and needs some speed improvements and it baffles me that the Pixi has a slower processor. That will really frustrate people. Yeah the amount of functionality missing really is starting to bug a lot of people. WebOS 1.3 is around the corner so we will see what Palm does with it. In my opinion this next big update needs to be bigger than 1.1 and 1.2.... We need to see a lot of improvement that will get people excited again.
    woah!

I dont remember Android *or* iPhone doing that well when they 1st came out. As I recall lots of iPhone users were ****ed at Apple for lack of this and lack of that. Same went for Android!

Considering the size of Palm they managed to produce a phone and OS that leaped them to the top of the big players, even past WinMo!

Being an infant it has, IMO, better features than Android... although a bit sluggish. I am not impressed with Android and I have a HTC Hero which is all HTC Sense UI that makes it useable, but i still switch back to my Pre.

<flame>
    I wouldnt stick a fork in them yet. it hasnt even been a year yet!!!!
    </flame>
    the droid is as big as a netbook, I dont know why somebody would buy such a large phone.

WebOS being more fluid? I agree, both email and calendar need to be snappier.

Palm days numbered? maybe, maybe not, Im just glad I got Pre before whatever happen to palm.

Palm is a small company, there is no chance for palm to throw itself into a gazillion crowd of android makers, it makes absolutely no sense, palm would be dead by now. With its flaw, I still believe WebOS is the only viable solution for palm.
    I agree, seems like palm just doesn't have the resources, someone should buy them though, they have smart people and good ideas, the competition is just implementing them so much faster and more efficiently.
    btw, i totally disagree with what you guys saying about resource, etc.

its a WebOS build on web technology, the hardware usage is lacking by its natural.

It also does multitasking from core up, what do you guys Apple, Nokia, HTC, google can do with a ~600MHz CPU and 256 MB Ram with multitasking? They are big companies, but they aren't gods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    is that all you can do is try to say palm this palm that . you dont even have a clue . all your doing is trying to start an argument and its not even worth it imo i dont think you know what your talking about the pre is fine. and my phone is just as i would like it and i did it myself . no lets see you fix up your hero or iphone moment or whatever fix it just like you like. to funny
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    It's way too early to tell. Palm got the hype at CES. Palm and Apple shared the summer. Android will likely take the winter. We'll see what happens in 2010.

The problems Palm has are fixable. It just depends on how, if and when they tackle them.
    Guys, simmer down.

He's linking to an article from a leading industry blog to start some discussion. It's different from other threads on a similar topic because it's a well-written lengthy editorial from an ostensibly objective and very influential source.

If people can link to the Palm Pre review from Gizmodo - which they did in this very forum - then they should be able to reference Gizmodo's thoughs four months later.
    Quote Originally Posted by mulcher View Post
    This from Gizmodo today:
    [url= Palm Lost (Like Apple in the '80s) - Palm pre - Gizmodo[/url]

An article I wrote in geardiary:
    [url= Palm Pre through the eyes of a former Palm OS Treo Business User*|*Gear Diary[/url]
    Wha', not enough readers there, so you had to regurgitate it here Kanye?
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    yah. The palm being available on at&t and verizon soon won't mean squat. Why would anyone want a pre when they can get a droid or iphone? I loved my pre when I got it. But it just doesn't compare anymore to what I've seen coming out. Sorta sad
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    The whole argument of apple vs pre argument is ridiculous.
    Sure i love my pre but palm has been in the handset market for some time now. For Android and Iphone when they first came into the market they were n00bies. Therefore they had rough patches at the beginning. Palm has been at it for some time with treo's and all, and should have released a phone that was perfected.
    Quote Originally Posted by mulcher View Post
    Ok, go ahead and flame me and give me valid business reasons why you think I'm wrong.
    So, if I post in disagreement, I'm "flaming" you?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rmmorse81 View Post
    yah. The palm being available on at&t and verizon soon won't mean squat. Why would anyone want a pre when they can get a droid or iphone? I loved my pre when I got it. But it just doesn't compare anymore to what I've seen coming out. Sorta sad
    Feel the same. Sick of blue and gray screens all the time. If I knew they dont even use the GPU in this thing I would have never bought it. Every single pre I have seen has the light leakage problem including new pres. They screwed this up. I obsessed this phone to friends and family and now I wish I had not.

How hard it it to include text forwarding off the bat?

No video? Thought it would be out right after launch. Nope.

Small screen. The big screens get all the hype.

Battery. Are you kidding? If I actually use the phone for more than texting or phone calls its dead in 4 hours.

Apps that dont come close to the other os's.

Sure the iPhone has problems but it has so many positives.

Sure driod looks a little rough but damn look at all it has to offer out the gate.

The perfect phone is not out there yet but the palm is furthest away except for its notifications (which you cant customise) and multitasks so nice.

The iphone has no multitask which is the only thing I hate about it but I would never go to Att.

Driod is my winner right now but I wont leave sprints pricing.

I am so sick of wishing I had the best phone for me and drooling at other carriers.

The Moment screen and keyboard and cpu make me shy away from it.

Im giving sprint 3 months for at least some news on a perfect phone.

Palm, well, I hope they fix their issues and i will be the first to come back.

But right now Palm feels like the fat kid in school that noone wants to play with. It sucks. Ive been there too.
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast