Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    so ive never made a program, but is javascript just not capable of making things as awesome as programs written in C?
    just a thought.... could Plam be purposely crippling the SDK and forcing apps to be made as simple as possible so it can be effectively be used as cards for the multitasking???

maybe robust apps could really kill performance if managed the same way...
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike20PR View Post
    just a thought.... could Plam be purposely crippling the SDK and forcing apps to be made as simple as possible so it can be effectively be used as cards for the multitasking???

maybe robust apps could really kill performance if managed the same way...
    so your saying palm is forcing the apps to be handicapped just for the sake of multitasking?
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    so your saying palm is forcing the apps to be handicapped just for the sake of multitasking?
    Im not saying anything per-se, but it ran through my mind when members said that the video game emulator created on the rooted pre would be impossible to be used as a card with how the OS was build.... imo it makes sense if you want to have like 15 cards open without much hit on performance since the apps are basically just full screen widgets. Not much different than opening multiple tabs on the same web browser.... again, just a thought...
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    No, that's not it at all. From what I understand, it has to do with the system manager for the Pre being the custom Luna setup. In order to use some of these linux programs such as the emulators, you need to use DirectFB, which is an integrated GPU accelerated setup / Window Manager. However, Luna has exclusive access to draw the screen while it's running. It's an architectural limitation more so than Palm is forcing you to not use Linux apps.

As for all of this complaining that the Pre's programming setup is inherently bad, a lot of it is BS. Right now, the implementation of it is inferior, as we're missing a lot of APIs that would be useful such as microphone support or anything that could be used for, and there's barely any Canvas tag support. But for most things, it's possible for a good programmer to write as good an application in Javascript as you can in Objective-C. The main exceptions to this rule are custom media players and 3D gaming, which would benefit greatly from being precompiled for speed reasons, and need direct access to the hardware generally.

3D gaming will eventually be possible on the Pre, in my opinion. I'm not sure if they'll use webGL or something custom but similar, but as I mentioned much earlier in this thread I foresee some sort of browser plugin which will allow some bits of code to run more directly on the hardware while still taking advantage of the Javascript/CSS/HTML-based cards system.

Similarly for media, it is theoretically possible even right now with a custom service. I completely understand that Palm is only allowing this for a small number of partners so it's not possible for everyone, but they've done it before for Classic, for Sprint Nav, and will be doing it for Docs to Go. Besides that, the only reason you'd need to do this is to support more codecs- something that would be nice, but not even necessary for all programs.

But as I said, the bigger issue at this point isn't the lack of a native SDK, it's that the SDK we have is being limited by Palm not having finished APIs for everything that they need to have them for. A lot of applications that people have requested... of course not every one, but many... such as voice recording, Shazam, etc. would be possible in Javascript, as soon as Palm puts support for them in the operating system / SDK. Increased Canvas support would help quite a bit for gaming as well, from what I understand. Another big thing that'd be important would be better sound support within the SDK for low latency sound effects other than the system sounds. As of right now, sound effects are nearly impossible for most apps.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 10/28/2009 at 03:56 AM.
    After the 1.3.1 update it seems the pre has gotten a tad less sluggish in respect to menus.....then again could be the well known placebo effect...
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Definitely faster. My pre on 1.3.1 runs like my pre with preware installed on 1.2.1
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    As for all of this complaining that the Pre's programming setup is inherently bad, a lot of it is BS.
    Although much of it might be BS, there is one critical issue I have with web OS. I am a software developer, not a web developer. I don't want to use a scripting language when writing software. I want to use design patterns, objects, classes, methods, inheritance, polymorphism, etc. A lot goes into to writing code that most people that are not software developers have no idea about.
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    I simply leave the three or four "cards" I use all the time open, namely phone, email, messaging and internet and use the full swipe gesture to fip between them (or the wave), how hard is that? I have only had my Pre for 12 days (previously WM) and do not have a problem with lag at all, maybe I am easily pleased.............
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456