Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    i wonder how they are going to describe that one....since they described the pre as a stone or a pebble. haha
    Quote Originally Posted by Menso View Post
    That science calculator will probably run laps around the Pre because the only thing the Pre has going for it at this time is its aesthetics.
    Could you be any more obtuse?
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Could you be any more obtuse?
    Probably.

Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    I see people here complaining about the Pre performance but I honestly don't see it. It performs just fine imo.
    The phone isn't bad by any means, but it's lacking in a lot of areas. Performance wise it hiccups every now, but it's fine. It's just you'd expect a lot more from the phone with the specs it has.
    After reading about the Droid at boy genius and seeing the pics I have to admit it's the only phone that I wish I had. If it was on Sprint I'd actually think of selling my Pre.

"It’s thin. Just slightly thicker than an iPhone 3GS and the thinnest QWERTY-slider we’ve ever seen.
    It is the fastest Android device we’ve ever used. (It’s running a TI OMAP3430 processor)
    The feel of the device is very reminiscent of the OQO 02 model computer. Just smaller. It’s metal with a non-spring-assisted slide, very sturdy, and half soft-touch plastic."
    Motorola Droid hands on! : Boy Genius Report

Don't get me wrong I love my Pre, but the Droid does look very promising.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Are we forgetting about HTML5? I am not a programmer, but I've seen some things that Google did with it, and I've read that if it takes off it could put a dent into Flash's dominance. What do you guys think? Anybody out there have any experience with it?
    If Palm used the V8 engine (from Google) then JavaScript code could be compiled to native machine code for speed.

For more info go here: Why Is the New Google V8 Engine So Fast? [Part 1] -- Nikkei Electronics Asia -- January 2009 - Tech-On!

http://channel9.msdn.com/shows/Going...rtual-Machine/
    Last edited by Firestrider; 10/19/2009 at 06:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firestrider View Post
    If Palm used the V8 engine (from Google) then JavaScript code could be compiled to native machine code for speed.

For more info go here: Why Is the New Google V8 Engine So Fast? [Part 1] -- Nikkei Electronics Asia -- January 2009 - Tech-On!
    If I'm not mistaken, Palm uses this engine, albeit not the most recent version.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Firestrider View Post

I've read somewhere that Palm put 2 supposed gurus of javascript on the payroll to help development on the webos platform. I've got to believe (at least I hope) their looking at optimizing webos.

Since droid and pre are basically running the same processor, and droid supposedly faster, Palm really needs to do clean up the code before this gets out of hand. The bar was just raised a notch (or two)
    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post
    I've read somewhere that Palm put 2 supposed gurus of javascript on the payroll to help development on the webos platform. I've got to believe (at least I hope) their looking at optimizing webos.

Since droid and pre are basically running the same processor, and droid supposedly faster, Palm really needs to do clean up the code before this gets out of hand. The bar was just raised a notch (or two)
    Droid is running Android 2. Do we really need to have this discussion? There also is no telling what speed the Droids processor is running at, chances are it's 600 or higher, where the Pre is at a meager 500mhz.
    Impossible to type one handed with a Pre? Are you kidding me? I can type one handed without any issues with the Pre. What I don't understand how do you type one handed with an onscreen keyboard. Why are you on this web site if you don't like the Pre though?
    I'm on this site because I own a Pre.
    Droid is running Android 2. Do we really need to have this discussion? There also is no telling what speed the Droids processor is running at, chances are it's 600 or higher, where the Pre is at a meager 500mhz.
    so basically the pre was trumped on speed by the iphones 3gs release a week or so after its own release....and now by some other smartphones coming out in the near future. greeeeat. a slow phone isnt gonna win a giant fan base. webos looks like it is the pre's hope right now....if palm can get around and optimize it and release the lower level APIs to devs
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    so basically the pre was trumped on speed by the iphones 3gs release a week or so after its own release....and now by some other smartphones coming out in the near future. greeeeat. a slow phone isnt gonna win a giant fan base. webos looks like it is the pre's hope right now....if palm can get around and optimize it and release the lower level APIs to devs
    1.2.1, what don't you understand about this? Have you not noticed people are buying it despite it being slower than the iPhone 3Gs? I sure have.
    To be fair, i don't see speed being worth that much to the mainstreamers. My wife couldn't tell you what processor her Pre uses and would fall asleep if i tried to tell her.

I still think Palm just needs to think features. Enabling some, optimizing what they have. That other stuff can wait til 2.0.
    1.2.1, what don't you understand about this? Have you not noticed people are buying it despite it being slower than the iPhone 3Gs? I sure have.
    The pre's a great device, im just saying i hope they capitalize on webos's potential sooner than later. It will be easier to gain marketshare if android isnt already huge by the time they get around to doing that
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    To be fair, i don't see speed being worth that much to the mainstreamers. My wife couldn't tell you what processor her Pre uses and would fall asleep if i tried to tell her.

I still think Palm just needs to think features. Enabling some, optimizing what they have. That other stuff can wait til 2.0.
    Mainstreamers?

I would disagree here, unless by mainstreamer you mean someone that doesn't care about a smartphone. My fiance for example is someone that could really care less about a smartphone and everything it offers, if she can SMS and dial people she's happy.

She just upgraded from a blackberry curve (which again, she never used any of its real functionality, only txt'ed and called people) to the HTC Hero. She's actually slowly beginning to use the things that the Hero offers.

I let her play around with my Pre and her first response was (it's too sluggish).
    If I'm not mistaken, Palm uses this engine, albeit not the most recent version.
    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post

Maybe that's why applications take so long to launch because it is "compiling" the javascript, for the most part when you're inside an app it runs relatively smooth (a few hiccups here and there).
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Hold down the home key and it will show you all running apps. Also, you can load one of the 20 different task switching applications (most free)
    Thanks. Typing this response from a Hero rigt now. Holding the home key vastlly improves the experience. Are you sure it's showing running apps rather than most recent apps?

I can definitely see the appeal of his phone.
    Lot's of eyecandy.
    The color depth on that Motorola phone looks like a 16bit 65K. There is no way I could ever go back to a phone with such poor color quality after using the Pre 24bit screen. I love looking at videos on my Pre and the screen is bright and clear.
    I def have to agree with this. My friend commented on how nice my screen looked....then I turned it back up from 15% to 100% and all he would say was "wow"
    The color depth on that Motorola phone looks like a 16bit 65K. There is no way I could ever go back to a phone with such poor color quality after using the Pre 24bit screen. I love looking at videos on my Pre and the screen is bright and clear.
    I really have no idea what the specs are, but the boygenius report said the screen looked awesome. I know that is not much, but for early reports, we'll take what we can get.

This is the first phone I am seriously considering getting over the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post

That doesn't make any sense, though. My wife also can't tell what processor the Pre or the iPhone 3GS use, but she certainly appreciates how smoother and faster the iPhone 3GS is, though.

Full disclosure: I own a Pre and even with its sometimes "sluggishness", I wouldn't trade it for any other phone.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast