Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    You mean like how my widescreen TV give me the choice of stretching a normal aspect TV picture out to make everyone look fat or chopping off the top and bottom of the screen? Video games and images are optimzed for a certain aspect ratio. Scaling just distorts the field.
    Unless the developer develops with multiple resolutions in mind. (not unlike the PS3 and xbox360 now).
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzchic View Post
    ummm, noone is stopping Palm from releasing a revised hardware with a faster processor to compete.
    Thats not the issue at hand. The hardware is plenty fast.

Its the SDK.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbono13 View Post
    Curious how you accomplish jumping back-and-forth between open apps on the Hero. I've played with one at the Sprint store, and while I like many things about it, I find the multitasking a bit inaccessible. It seems to me that, like a Win Mob phone, you don't really know which apps are running in the background, and the only way to go back to a background app is to tap the icon as if you were launching it new. Am I missing something?

I understand that there are third party task-managers/task switchers (like there are on WinMob), but that inserts an intermediate step between switching apps. To put the multitasking front-and-center in Sense UI (like it is in WebOS), I'd love to see a task switching widget that you could put on the first homescreen. It could be text list or icons, but live thumbnails would be even better.
    Hold down the home key and it will show you all running apps. Also, you can load one of the 20 different task switching applications (most free)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikini View Post
    First the sprint version of Hero is so ugly...
    2nd, Hero is not a real multi-task phone, please do some research.
    3rd, Hero is using the old processor from 2 or 3 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    Does it have a keyboard? That onscreen keyboard is a pain imo. How anyone could use them over a physical keyboard is beyond me. I tried typing with the onscreen Hero keyboard and it was just bad. Another thing about the Android phones that many people might not know is that it only supports 65K color depth while the Pre supports 16.7 million colors.
    Again, this is all personal preference. The Pre is the first phone I've owned that had a pull out physical keyboard, and personally I still prefer an onscreen keyboard. I find it easier to type in many different situations, especially one handed (the Pre is next to impossible to type one-handed).

When I got the iPhone I thought I was going to hate the virtual keyboard, it took me about a week to get the hang of it, and a couple of weeks I could type on it with no problem. My fiances Hero I can type with my eyes closed.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Again, this is all personal preference. The Pre is the first phone I've owned that had a pull out physical keyboard, and personally I still prefer an onscreen keyboard. I find it easier to type in many different situations, especially one handed (the Pre is next to impossible to type one-handed).

When I got the iPhone I thought I was going to hate the virtual keyboard, it took me about a week to get the hang of it, and a couple of weeks I could type on it with no problem. My fiances Hero I can type with my eyes closed.
    I've got no issues typing 1 handed on the Pre. I use my right hand, put my middle finger on the left most side of the keypad, holding it against the pad of my hand, and put my index finger against the middle of the battery cover, and use my thumb to type. It feels natural, it's easy to type on, and effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    I've got no issues typing 1 handed on the Pre. I use my right hand, put my middle finger on the left most side of the keypad, holding it against the pad of my hand, and put my index finger against the middle of the battery cover, and use my thumb to type. It feels natural, it's easy to type on, and effective.
    I personally cant type on an onscreen keyboard for the life of me. Even the pre's virtual keyboard is rough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    A GPU is designed to run COMPILED code super fast and efficiently. The Pre doesn't use compiled code, so trying to utilize the GPU is kind of pointless. It likely is not going to run javascript any faster.

They can keep optimizing the javascript engine on the pre to be faster, but there is not going to be a magical breakthrough or switch with the GPU that suddenly leaps WebOS forward in performance.

The only way you will see a leap in performance is if Palm develops and releases a compiled language/SDK to work on the Pre.
    Have to disagree almost entirely on this one. If the OS itself uses the GPU, it would help quite a bit. All of the screen redraws and scrolling and that sort of stuff is currently done in the CPU, at the same time the CPU is rendering the HTML/ Javascript. Offloading those things would leave the CPU to be dedicated for what it's really good at, which would be processing the HTML and Javascript in this case.

On top of that, I suspect that Palm will never go with a full C++ based language, but you will still see a leap forward in performance. Like a desktop browser, the Pre's Javascript supports plugins. An example of this is the terminal plugin which works great for what it is. I suspect that Palm's solution will be that any intensive GPU code will be run as a plugin, with that plugin still existing within a browser window - similar to how Flash runs on a desktop PC for example. Whether this ends up being WebGL or something else of the sort remains to be seen. This is all speculation of course, but they'd be out of their mind to have spent all this time and money developing a Javascript-based OS/SDK and then abandon that a year down the line.

And with regards to the CPU itself and just getting a faster one for future Palm devices, other than higher clocked versions of the same chip, you're not going to get anything faster than what they currently use until a few years down the line when companies start making actual hardware with the Cortex A9.

... Come to think of it, that should be impressive a few years down the line- imagine a fully optimized version of webOS by that time, running on a true multi-core CPU, that runs out-of-order?
    Last edited by jhoff80; 10/19/2009 at 04:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Have to disagree almost entirely on this one. If the OS itself uses the GPU, it would help quite a bit. All of the screen redraws and scrolling and that sort of stuff is currently done in the CPU, at the same time the CPU is rendering the HTML/ Javascript. Offloading those things would leave the CPU to be dedicated for what it's really good at, which would be processing the HTML and Javascript in this case.

On top of that, I suspect that Palm will never go with a full C++ based language, but you will still see a leap forward in performance. Like a desktop browser, the Pre's Javascript supports plugins. An example of this is the terminal plugin which works great for what it is. I suspect that Palm's solution will be that any intensive GPU code will be run as a plugin, with that plugin still existing within a browser window - similar to how Flash runs on a desktop PC for example. Whether this ends up being WebGL or something else of the sort remains to be seen. This is all speculation of course, but they'd be out of their mind to have spent all this time and money developing a Javascript-based OS/SDK and then abandon that a year down the line.
    It would be kinda nice to know what palm's intentions are for the SDK and the javascript...
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bikini View Post
    First the sprint version of Hero is so ugly...
    2nd, Hero is not a real multi-task phone, please do some research.
    3rd, Hero is using the old processor from 2 or 3 years ago.
    I'm not so concerned about the Hero, I'm more concerned about the Droid (motorola) that's coming out that is using the same processor as the Pre and Iphone (ok, maybe not exactly the same but same speed 600mhz)

Full screen slideout keyboard, large screen, full multi-tasking, supposedly the fastest android ver out.

I could live without the hero since in my opinion it's a step back from the pre but from what I've read about the droid it's a true iphone alternative.

Will be watching price point closely.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I WANT one!

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/...roid-hands-on/

But not enough to jump back to VZW!

Will Sprint ever get a varient of this?

Last edited by wodin; 10/19/2009 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Added link to BGR
    Quote Originally Posted by wodin View Post
    I WANT one!

Motorola Droid hands on! : Boy Genius Report

if so count me in (until the next best thing pops up in the techy world)
    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post
    I'm not so concerned about the Hero, I'm more concerned about the Droid (motorola) that's coming out that is using the same processor as the Pre and Iphone (ok, maybe not exactly the same but same speed 600mhz)

Full screen slideout keyboard, large screen, full multi-tasking, supposedly the fastest android ver out.

I could live without the hero since in my opinion it's a step back from the pre but from what I've read about the droid it's a true iphone alternative.

Will be watching price point closely.
    Pre is only running at 500mhz. Does that make you feel better versus the Hero?
    Quote Originally Posted by wodin View Post
    I WANT one!

Motorola Droid hands on! : Boy Genius Report

Such a beautiful phone.
    Such a beautiful phone.

You are soo right lol, the most "beautiful" phone ever!!
  15. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Merton View Post
    Ah, cheers on the JavaScript clarification.

I know Java is OO-language, but I didn't know if JavaScript was. I don't think I have ever worked with JavaScript (I am a C/C++ guy).
    With your familiarity with C and C++, the learning curve for JavaScript should be fairly short for you.

Check out JavaScript Tutorial to get a better feel for the language.
  16. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Oh and for the Droid, I'm sure its a blistering fast phone, but I simply can't get over the aesthetics of the thing. It looks like a scientific calculator from the 70's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Oh and for the Droid, I'm sure its a blistering fast phone, but I simply can't get over the aesthetics of the thing. It looks like a scientific calculator from the 70's.
    Agreed. I actually want to like that phone, but I'm not seeing "beautiful" at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    Dragging up and using the way bar is way faster than how you are explaining you use your pre try it sometime..

try advance gestures and the wave bar see if that doesn't make life easier on the pre
    I know how to do all of that. You are still talking about 3-4 more seconds per action, and that's only if you don't have a few other cards open. And what if what you need isn't on the wave bar? Or you don't quite hit the sweet spot in the gesture area? Then you need to try again..
    I've had 4 lines with Pre's since day 1 and a total of 10 so far, so as far as that is concerned, it is very inconsistent.. I've had the Hero since day -2 and 0 problems with hardware and what options and functions Android has, it is at least consistent.
    But I do love my Pre!
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    i actually thought that is what it was. I can't believe that's actually a phone lmao.
    That science calculator will probably run laps around the Pre because the only thing the Pre has going for it at this time is its aesthetics.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Such a beautiful phone.
    Ummm.. Your kidding right?....

You must mean its "inner" beauty....
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast