1.    #1  
    I am really interested in the Zaurus so I'm waiting for your review of your unit...
    Originally posted by Techie2000
    I am really interested in the Zaurus so I'm waiting for your review of your unit...
    Probably won't happen until late next week or early the week after. I need to have time to get beyond the surface and uncover issues like "how does one move their data over from the Visor?" (ironically it's much more difficult for Linux users than Windows users) and "how hard is it to get a dial up internet connection using an IRDA mobile phone?"
    What I can say is that from a hardware standpoint, it is one slick little device! Stay tuned
    <ul><li>Dave Kessler<br>President - Kopsis, Inc.</li></ul>
    I'm with Techie2000. What you said on the other thread about the Zaurus and developers really caught my attention, and I want to hear more. I like the idea of a Linux PDA, but I've got big databases in WordSmith, Bonsai and ThinkDB that I can't work without, and it's not practical to re-enter all this data in the Zaurus. Also, in looking at the list of software that's available for the Zaurus, I didn't see any spreadsheets, databases or outliners. Are these types of apps not available for the Zaurus or am I just not looking in the right place. Thanks
  4.    #4  
    Right now the Zaurus is not available to the General public. When I first heard about it I was very interested in it and have been following its progress. Still in the development stages (dkessler got a developer unit that only has 32MB of RAM vs. 64MB for the consumer edition, probably because he works for Kopsis?) . I don't think too much software is available but enough to get started. I betcha once its available to the general public Open Source people will start making apps . And that pull out keyboard will probably be the new "wow!" thing of PDAs (like when people first see a PDA IRL or a stowaway unfold, pop out your Zaurus, pop-out the keyboard and wow everyone gathers round)
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Just going thru my mail and saw the Sharp Zaurus SL 5500 listed in the PC Connections catalog for $549.00. Has the consumer version 64 mgs.

Went to the website: www.pcconnection.com but could not find it listed.

the product # listed in print is/was #297630
    I just checked the Sharp website (sharp-usa.com), the Sharp on-line store (sharpplace.com), CompUSA, CDW, Amazon and Circuit City. None of those sites had any reference to the 5500 yet, though you can register at the Sharp store for info about the 5500.

I've read a lot about the Zaurus and the thinking about using a Linux/Java OS rather than Palm or PocketPC. The rationale seems to be that the Linux/Java environment is more flexible and developer friendly; developers making good apps are what has made Palm so popular, not the Palm OS; developers supported by a big consumer electronics company will be attracted by the Linux environment to make good apps for the Zaurus; better apps can be developed under the Linux/Java system than under Palm or PocketPC; so that at the end of the day you'll end up with better apps on the Zaurus than with either Palm OS or PocketPC (I'm sure that this can be improved on and/or corrected by many who are more knowledgeable than me.) This makes sense to me. I know about the chicken/egg problem of consumers wanting good apps before they buy and developers wanting to know that there's a market before they develop, but can someone punch other holes in this rationale?
    Last edited by BillC; 02/07/2002 at 08:02 PM.
    Originally posted by BillC
    ... so that at the end of the day you'll end up with better apps on the Zaurus than with either Palm OS or PocketPC (I'm sure that this can be improved on and/or corrected by many who are more knowledgeable than me.) This makes sense to me. I know about the chicken/egg problem of consumers wanting good apps before they buy and developers wanting to know that there's a market before they develop, but can someone punch other holes in this rationale?
    That's the theory that us Zaurus supporters are banking on The obvious risk is that consumers will avoid the device because they're afraid of straying from the PocketPC flock (Zaurus doesn't really compete with current PalmOS devices).

As for apps, Trolltech, makers of the Qt/Embedded app framework and the Qtopia app suite on the Zaurus, has been hosting a development contest for Zaurus apps. The beta submission deadline was Monday and word is that some very cool apps were submitted including things like a full HP48 calculator app, an etext reader that reads to you in a very natural synthesized voice, a variety of productivity apps, and bunch of games

For what it's worth, my Zaurus review is still in the works. I'm at 2200+ words and I haven't even started talking about the software! I gotta learn not to ramble so much
    <ul><li>Dave Kessler<br>President - Kopsis, Inc.</li></ul>