Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Please tell me all the reasons I should wait before I succumb to temptation!
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    you can search my posts I have been arguing against the hero and for the pre. But the droid has the processor. And 2.0 looks good. If I had verizon I wouldn't wait. I love my pre. But android with a real processor would probably get me to jump ship for a while at least.
    Im just speaking in my opinion but if you can afford to either cancel your contract or have a second phone under big red then you should definitely get the droid simply because android is more mature than webos as of now but if your willing to give webos 6 minths to a year youll see what it can accomplish
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    Im just speaking in my opinion but if you can afford to either cancel your contract or have a second phone under big red then you should definitely get the droid simply because android is more mature than webos as of now but if your willing to give webos 6 minths to a year youll see what it can accomplish
    If it was just WebOS vs Android OS, I probably would wait. But its also the hardware and the Pre will never have a MiniSD card or a 5 megapixel Camera. If I knew there was a Pre2 due on Verizon in the 1st or 2nd quarter of 2010, I'd definitely hold on. But with only the vaguest rumors of a Pre2, that Droid hardware is mighty tempting.

Of course the Storm looked tempting too before anybody actually had one in hand. I think I'll wait at least until Feb 2010 before I make my final decision. WebOS should have another update by then and the bug reports should be coming in on the Droid by then too.

By the way, in tonights episode of Desperate Housewives there were ads for Droid, Iphone and Pre! It's an all out WAR!
    not to sound trollish but....if the Hero murdered the Pre, what do you think the Droid is gonna do to it???

***ducks for cover***
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
  6.    #6  
    I never jumped on the Hero bandwagon. Hero was interesting but never compelling for me. Droid, on the other hand, well I'm not jumping to any conclusions, but so far it looks very interesting!
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I want one!

But not enough to jump back to VZW.

Will Sprint ever get this, or a varient?
    Samsung has two Android phones coming to Sprint. However, it's still WebOs all the way for me. Just got the Hero for my business phone. It's freaking awesome, but still cannot multi-task like the Pre, and isn't nearly as fun.

Stick with WebOs and Sprint. Good combo of awesome OS and inexpensive cell service.
    We'll have to see how well Android runs with the better processor and whether (or to what extent) Verizon cripples the phone.

But off the cuff, Droid may be a very difficult phone to compete with.
    This is the only Android phone I would even consider. It's a non-spring-assisted slider, so that might be interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    The the only thing that makes Droid interesting is a better processor and that it comes with Android 2.0. The processor bit is silly though since they are really only catching up to the likes of the Pre and iphone. And all the other android phones will be getting 2.0 eventually.
  12.    #12  
    There are still some pretty important questions waiting to be answered about the Droid. Will it run apps from the SD Card? Will developers be willing to write apps that take advantage of its better hardware or will they continue to write lowest common denominator apps that can still run on the G1?

One advantage I see to Android OS vs WebOS is that Android has already opened up its Developer's Kit to allow developers direct access to the hardware. I sure hope this prods Palm to do the same thing. I know several of my favorite developers are unhappy with the limitations of MojoSDK. It's time for Palm to take the governor off WebOS and let Developers put the pedal to the metal!

For example, there's already an Android App that lets you create MP3 ringtones right on your phone with graphic waveform editing! That's like dangling raw meat in front of a wolf for me! And there's already a grandmaster level Chess app (Chess Arena from Handmark) with live online human v human gameplay. More red meat for me!

How about a star chart app that lets you point your phone at the night sky and identify the celestial objects above you? Google Sky Map for Android and its free! And that points out another weighty consideration - Android has the gravitas of Google behind it.

I'm just sayin' . . .
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Peteman100 View Post
    The the only thing that makes Droid interesting is a better processor and that it comes with Android 2.0. The processor bit is silly though since they are really only catching up to the likes of the Pre and iphone. And all the other android phones will be getting 2.0 eventually.
    You're not interested in a 32 Meg SD card? I sure am. You're not interested in a 5 megapixel camera? I sure am. You're not interested in a developer's kit that already allows direct access to the hardware? I sure am!
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandStone View Post
    Of course the Storm looked tempting too before anybody actually had one in hand. I think I'll wait at least until Feb 2010 before I make my final decision. WebOS should have another update by then and the bug reports should be coming in on the Droid by then too.
    Sound advice!

We also don't know what price the droid will be coming in at.

The smartphone wars has started !
  15.    #15  
    I've been trying to educate myself on the Android OS. From what I've learned there have been three releases: Cupcake (1.0), Donut, and coming very soon Eclair (2.0). I'm a little concerned that up to now, Android audio has been quite limited with recording capabilities difficult to access and then only in low fidelity. Other than some e-mail, Facebook and GPS improvements in Eclair, nobody really seems to know what may coming in the 2.0 release. If Android is so open, why doesn't anyone know what's coming?

Up to now the G1 hardware and the early OS releases have held back the development of complex, sophisticated apps. While they may be ahead of WebOS, they're not THAT far ahead. Things may change with Eclair and Droid hardware, but how long will that take?
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandStone View Post
    You're not interested in a developer's kit that already allows direct access to the hardware?
    And a debugger.
  17.    #17  
    PreDon't Voice Dial
    PreDon't Video Capture
    PreDon't have SD Card

Everything Predon't - DROID DOES!
    Quote Originally Posted by jbelew View Post
    you can search my posts I have been arguing against the hero and for the pre. But the droid has the processor. And 2.0 looks good. If I had verizon I wouldn't wait. I love my pre. But android with a real processor would probably get me to jump ship for a while at least.
    this
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike20PR View Post
    not to sound trollish but....if the Hero murdered the Pre, what do you think the Droid is gonna do to it???

***ducks for cover***
    >Bites

Sorry it's hasn't murdered the Pre by a longshot, and neither has Android yet! As for the Droid lets wait and see how it performs in the real world shall we before shouting about how great it is!
    BGR reviewd the Droid. They really like it, but it turns out the keyboard is flat and only touch based with haptic feedback.

Well, that's ridiculous. I think the Pre, quality issues aside, is still unbeaten.

You get a real keyboard and a full screen in a very compact package. There is no other device that offers all three.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast