Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    BGR reviewd the Droid. They really like it, but it turns out the keyboard is flat and only touch based with haptic feedback.
    Actually that is a mis-read. The buttons on the front are touch-based with haptic feedback; the keyboard is thin but is not touch based. It is a physical keyboard. Re-read the article and you'll see what I'm saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by born2defy View Post
    Actually that is a mis-read. The buttons on the front are touch-based with haptic feedback; the keyboard is thin but is not touch based. It is a physical keyboard. Re-read the article and you'll see what I'm saying.
    My bad. Still though, the keyboard is flat with very little tactile feedback. BGR says it had to this way to make the device this thin.

So the question here is whether the right balance was struck. The Droid form factor is the 'screen first' type, similarly to the iPhone and even exceeding it. This dictates thinness, but Motorola still tried to hang on to having a physical keyboard at any cost. It is a real keyboard but just barely.

There is still no device that strikes a balance between a usable keyboard, full screen and compactness as the Pre.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    Verizon has the Tour for $49, so I think they will price hte Pre very aggressively. The Droid will cost at least $200, making it at the very least $50 more expensive, but I think it will probably be $100 or more. For a lot of people, that won't matter, but for casual people who just want any old smartphone, or maybe something just smaller than the Droid, I think the Pre might be a good value on verizon.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    There is still no device that strikes a balance between a usable keyboard, full screen and compactness as the Pre.
    The Droid is thin and tall. way better screen realestate

Sized Up: Droid vs Palm Pre

Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    To those wanting the Droid: Personally, if I were you, I'd wait a few weeks to see how the Nokia N900 looks next to it. The Nokia can run Android apps from what I've been told. It has better speakers, an FM broadcaster for the car, etc,etc.

I'll be sticking with the Pre myself.
    I want the droid but verizons pricing looks ridiculous compared to sprints
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkerX View Post
    To those wanting the Droid: Personally, if I were you, I'd wait a few weeks to see how the Nokia N900 looks next to it. The Nokia can run Android apps from what I've been told. It has better speakers, an FM broadcaster for the car, etc,etc.

I'll be sticking with the Pre myself.
    Since the Droid only works on Verizon and the N900 is a GSM phone that only supports 3G for T-Mobile, I don't see them competing for the same customers. Also the N900 is not an Android phone and doesn't run Android apps.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Since the Droid only works on Verizon and the N900 is a GSM phone that only supports 3G for T-Mobile, I don't see them competing for the same customers. Also the N900 is not an Android phone and doesn't run Android apps.
    Some folks don't care if the network is GSM or not. I just moved network types to get the Pre.

And I know the N900 isn't an Android phone, but some of the Maemo folks have got Android apps working on their (also Linux) platform.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12