Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    All of a sudden, Android phones are being announced by lots of carriers, with a number apparently to be announced by Verizon shortly. Is the Pre and Web OS is danger of being marginalized if Android comes on so strong? For example, if there many smartphones with Android, does it become very hard to convince developers to make apps for Web OS when there is a much bigger market in Android apps? Will Web OS simply become a distant, tiny market share participant that gets lost in the noise?
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    That's a tough one for me to even guess an answer to. In this industry, things happen in the blink of an eye. For example, just like you mentioned, its a sudden onslaught of Android devices. Who would've thought it would just burst onto the scene like that? It may be the same for WebOS, or it may not. Palm may choose to take its time with WebOS to ensure they are doing everything right the first time. With Windows Phone 7 (or whatever they call it) around the corner, Palm may start feeling some heat. I think WebOS is truly a great platform, and Palm will gain a loyal following and have their share. Even its a its small following, loyal is the key word. As long as its "enough" of a following, I believe they should be able to hold their own.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    A tiny share of a huge market could still be very profitable I guess. Although Android is coming on strong, it appears much less polished than Web OS. Some have said every phone manufacturer is modifying Android to the point that it ceases to be a common brand, so that's a problem Android faces. I want a Pre, but not until it has 16 gig or more storage, and the keyboard quality is improved. I'm betting there will be a new release with Verizon, but if there isn't, I may have to get an Android phone.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hbg View Post
    A tiny share of a huge market could still be very profitable I guess. Although Android is coming on strong, it appears much less polished than Web OS. Some have said every phone manufacturer is modifying Android to the point that it ceases to be a common brand, so that's a problem Android faces. I want a Pre, but not until it has 16 gig or more storage, and the keyboard quality is improved. I'm betting there will be a new release with Verizon, but if there isn't, I may have to get an Android phone.

Android 2.0 (to be seen first on the droid) looks very polished and seems to pinch all of the synergy bits from WebOS. I think we are going to start seeing OSes moving very quickly, which is good for consumers,
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Android 2.0 (to be seen first on the droid) looks very polished and seems to pinch all of the synergy bits from WebOS. I think we are going to start seeing OSes moving very quickly, which is good for consumers,
    agreed. the android is moving along very quickly in its development, and already has a better implementation of the synergy palm claims to have. I'm pulling for palm but they need to make some improvements to prevent losing too much. I know android vs. webos will be my decision come june.
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The Pre and WebOS have always been marginalized. Any buzz that your platform gets for being brand new is quickly replaced by the next brand new platform. In the real world, you can't quash discussion of a new device by moving it to a less read discussion forum or thread. We are also seeing that a lot of WebOS users on this forum are, in reality, smartphone churners - they switch to whatever is seems new. The core base for WebOS seems really to be Sprint users and people who want lower-cost smartphone plans.

It will be interesting to see the penetration that is achieved in places like the UK. O2 are saying it's been a big success but that doesn't match up with what 02 staff are telling me.
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Palm is a small company. They will had tons of develops when Palm OS was dominant.

WebOS is new and exciting. Developer will develop for it just like developers develop for any other platform. With the Pre going Global, it ensure that more developers will develop for it. It is relatively cheap to develop for. Polishing is what takes most of your time, but I believe that as the WebOS platform gets more users, more developers will jump aboard.

It took Android a year to get this type of jump. The Official app store will probably surpass the homebrew by the end of the month, at its current rate and will get to at least a 1000 apps by the holidays.
    I have the Pre and the HTC Hero, and I must say aside from the keyboard, Android is dusting Palm. From the customizable widgets to the UI all the way down to the hardware. I love the fact that I can integrate social networks such as Facebook to contacts only if "I choose to". Even the IM is cooler. Plus the Android marketplace has actual "useful" apps.

I stood in line to get the Pre because I've been a PALM fan since my Treo 600, and I was rooting for them FTW. But honestly for Android to be so new to the game and so far ahead of PALM already is a real shame. The updates PALM has released so far only address issues that should have been in the OS out the gate, and some features are still missing. My Treo 700p is still more functional right now than my Pre is, and thats just unacceptable in a smartphone market in 2010. Android is far from perfect. It has a laggy keyboard, and software glitches that force apps to close abruptly but I think it has a brighter future than Web OS sadly.
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasanderson View Post
    I have the Pre and the HTC Hero, and I must say aside from the keyboard, Android is dusting Palm. From the customizable widgets to the UI all the way down to the hardware. I love the fact that I can integrate social networks such as Facebook to contacts only if "I choose to". Even the IM is cooler. Plus the Android marketplace has actual "useful" apps.
    All the way down to the hardware? We're talking about a weaker cpu and 64K color screen? Thats a step backwards in my opinion. Now the Leo is another story.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Until and if Palm releases a native language SDK, there will never be a decent App Store. The limitations of JavaScrip preclude anything but the current toybox.
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    All the way down to the hardware? We're talking about a weaker cpu and 64K color screen? Thats a step backwards in my opinion. Now the Leo is another story.
    But even that advantage is about to be eroded, there are a number of higher spec devices on the way in the next couple of months which take care of both of those issues.
    It depends entirely on how you see the mobile OS market developing. I do not see Apple losing much market share on account of their ******* but I definitely see Symbian losing a fair amount. Android will make the most gains which will leave webOS competing with the rest. A lot depends on the users. Palm needs to retain a loyal user base in order to survive. It will be interesting to see who (if any) manages to hold onto the fickle users.
    From those mythical lands beyond the great USA...

It is a convergence device not mankind's disc/filmography.
    My bad, by hardware I mean build quality, but what is the use of that stronger cpu if its not utilized? Atleast Android pushes its cpu to the limit with widgets and the Sense UI. What is PALMS stronger cpu doing, limiting how many apps we download, and how many cards we can have open? Or taking all of just shy of 10 seconds to switch to the photo app to view a photo you've just taken. And as far as 64k color screen, who knew, because the screen on the Hero is absolutely beautiful IMO.
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teso Dos Bichos View Post
    It depends entirely on how you see the mobile OS market developing. I do not see Apple losing much market share on account of their ******* but I definitely see Symbian losing a fair amount. Android will make the most gains which will leave webOS competing with the rest. A lot depends on the users. Palm needs to retain a loyal user base in order to survive. It will be interesting to see who (if any) manages to hold onto the fickle users.

I think you then get into the licensed OS vs walled garden - I really like WebOS but I can't past the hardware. If you don't like android device X, you can get android device Y and so on.
    Friend, my advice is that you actually look at the two side-by-side and use the two.

Whatever the specs say, the Hero is screen is super bright and vibrant, the tempered glass is miles beyond the cheap plastic of the Pre, and the "weaker CPU" runs auto-updating apps and widgets simultaneously for hours on end, while Pre having 2-3 browser windows up for more than hour usually produces a "Sorry, Too Many Cards" message.
    Old Skoll o/s - Symbian, Winmo 6.5, B?berry 5.0

New scholl o/s - all linux based - Maemo, Andoird, Web/os, Iphone o/s

Android and Iphone o/s will batter Symbian and Winmo. B/berry will continue its merry march as it has mindshare with corporate users even though the o/s sucks.

Palm will have a small devoted following - don't think for one moment Palm will gain more than a few percentage points of the smartphone market.

Android is well hyped but it still lacks maturity - it's not as open as you think- unlike Maemo.

Apple within 2 years have turned the industry on its head. Nokia, Sony Ericsson and Motorola are the monoliths from yesteryear - its the HTC, Samsungs and Apple who will be the big winners.
    As for marginalization, it's not Android that's marginalizing the Pre, per se.

It's lack of focus on Palm's part. I just watched that interview with Roger of Elevation Partners on the front page, and when disecribing Pre relative to the competition, he said (paraphrased) "The iPhone is for people who like media. The Blackberry is for business. The Pre is for people who are busy."

Really, Rog? Blackberry users aren't busy? iPhone users are lazy, college students with little going on? And if the Pre is for people who are busy, why are the PIM apps the most criticized ones shipping with the device?

Or is the Pre the device for people who just want stuff magically done behind the scenes, as implied by Palm's marketing?

Or is the Pre the device for live updates of multiple applications at once, as per Sprint, even though very little on the Pre besides mail "updates live" on its own?

With so little focus, it's easy for HTC and other companies to pick off, emulate, and better WebOS features one at a time. They've already bested Synergy. Notifications and multitasking would be just as easy to tackle.

Palm has to narrow their focus and figure out a way to brand WebOS effectively. Hell, Verizon/Motorola's Droid commercial did a better job in 30 seconds last night than the combined marketing of Sprint and Palm for Pre in four months.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    So what's going to happen when Palm lets WebOS off their leash?
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    I watched an android commercial last night that made clear points of the openness and availability of the platform, while denouncing the faults of the lead competitor (iphone).

This was an informative and great commercial, the one's for the Pre have been down right garbage. Palm really needs to get away from that hippy crap and really push the positives of the device in their future advertising.
    It's too late.

Android has caught the wind in its sails. There are many companies who see Android as a way to shift hardware with little thought involved.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast