Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I think WebOS and Android have the coolest UIs. I actually can't decide which I like best. Yesterday, for the first time in weeks, I was leaning harder toward the Samsung Moment (since it has a keyboard), but I love the cards & notifications on WebOS & I think I'd miss that.

I only have 2 weeks to decide...though being Premier I can switch in a year. :-)
    It's too late.

Android has caught the wind in its sails. There are many companies who see Android as a way to shift hardware with little thought involved.
    It's too late.

Android has caught the wind in its sails. There are many companies who see Android as a way to shift hardware with little thought involved.
    Verizon Levels Guns At Apple, Not AT&T, With Droid Phone Blitz - Android - Gizmodo

Verizon also made little noise (almost like a snub) on the Storm2 recently so maybe they have decided to put their name behind one platform... android.

If you have a carrier as powerful as AT&T and they decide to jump on the bandwagon, that would be huge for android... very tough for winmo. Very interesting that they did tweet about carrying pre next year but may treat Pre like they have treated Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by punzada View Post
    I watched an android commercial last night that made clear points of the openness and availability of the platform, while denouncing the faults of the lead competitor (iphone).

This was an informative and great commercial, the one's for the Pre have been down right garbage. Palm really needs to get away from that hippy crap and really push the positives of the device in their future advertising.
    I'm on Verizon along with my wife. I have a Treo 700p, she has a Storm. I think the Storm sucks but she likes it. I've been waiting for Verizon to get the Pre in January and then I would have probably ditched my Treo, but I still had mixed feelings about giving up my SD card and the all around versatility of the Treo. I've been eyeing the Pre forum every day looking for the latest apps and OS updates. ]

Then today along comes the Motorola Droid due to arrive on Verizon BEFORE the Pre. It's got multitasking, 5 MegaPixel flash camera, Video Recording, MiniSD, a slide-out keyboard, Google Chrome browser, Google Maps navigation with voice directions, Car Mode with voice dialing, numerous and powerful apps, and a maturing 2.0 OS (Eclair) with the gravitas of the Google behind it.

I haven't jumped Palm ship YET but I'm just sayin' - - PALM BETTER GET IT **** IN GEAR!
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasanderson View Post
    I have the Pre and the HTC Hero, and I must say aside from the keyboard, Android is dusting Palm. From the customizable widgets to the UI all the way down to the hardware. I love the fact that I can integrate social networks such as Facebook to contacts only if "I choose to". Even the IM is cooler. Plus the Android marketplace has actual "useful" apps.

I stood in line to get the Pre because I've been a PALM fan since my Treo 600, and I was rooting for them FTW. But honestly for Android to be so new to the game and so far ahead of PALM already is a real shame. The updates PALM has released so far only address issues that should have been in the OS out the gate, and some features are still missing. My Treo 700p is still more functional right now than my Pre is, and thats just unacceptable in a smartphone market in 2010. Android is far from perfect. It has a laggy keyboard, and software glitches that force apps to close abruptly but I think it has a brighter future than Web OS sadly.
    YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD! I don't want to trade my 700p for a phone that can't do everything it does and MORE. I can name a dozen things my 700p can do that the Pre can't (yet). Now along comes the Moto Droid with Android 2.0 OS (Eclair) due on Verizon in early November and it appears to be leaving the Pre and my 700p in the dust.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandStone View Post
    YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD! I don't want to trade my 700p for a phone that can't do everything it does and MORE. I can name a dozen things my 700p can do that the Pre can't (yet). Now along comes the Moto Droid with Android 2.0 OS (Eclair) due on Verizon in early November and it appears to be leaving the Pre and my 700p in the dust.
    I loved my 700p/755p but I jumped the Garnett Ship and went to Windows Mobile for the Wifi with a Touch Pro - I left the 700p for the Mogul but went back - to leave again for the Touch Pro .

I left the Touch Pro for the Pre -

What is the 700p doing besides video that the pre cant?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    As for marginalization, it's not Android that's marginalizing the Pre, per se.

It's lack of focus on Palm's part. I just watched that interview with Roger of Elevation Partners on the front page, and when disecribing Pre relative to the competition, he said (paraphrased) "The iPhone is for people who like media. The Blackberry is for business. The Pre is for people who are busy."

Really, Rog? Blackberry users aren't busy? iPhone users are lazy, college students with little going on? And if the Pre is for people who are busy, why are the PIM apps the most criticized ones shipping with the device?

Or is the Pre the device for people who just want stuff magically done behind the scenes, as implied by Palm's marketing?

Or is the Pre the device for live updates of multiple applications at once, as per Sprint, even though very little on the Pre besides mail "updates live" on its own?

With so little focus, it's easy for HTC and other companies to pick off, emulate, and better WebOS features one at a time. They've already bested Synergy. Notifications and multitasking would be just as easy to tackle.

Palm has to narrow their focus and figure out a way to brand WebOS effectively. Hell, Verizon/Motorola's Droid commercial did a better job in 30 seconds last night than the combined marketing of Sprint and Palm for Pre in four months.
    I posted something similar. Forget where since things are getting moved around everywhere. Makes it easier to read those other thought provoking threads that don't get moved like "How long will you keep your Pre" and "Is it worth it to buy a touchstone?"

Anyways, I'm not a dev. I consult businesses and keep them on track or get them there to make a profit. Smartphones and other gadgets are my hobby. Especially Palm since i've been with them personally since the days of the Treo 300. I've practically inhaled everything on the net about Palm since that time. One thing i'm not is a blind cheerleader of any gadget. If they're doing things I don't agree with, i'll say it. If it's something great, i'll say that as well. I use the iphone but i'll be among the first to both criticize that and praise it as appropriate.

That said, and if anyone is still with me, Palm is an ideal company for a casestudy in a future MBA class. Announcing the Pre at CES was such a shock for a company sniffing fumes. I bought stock at that low time and encouraged others (clients) because I anticipated something from them or simply for them to be bought up. The Pre knocked me for a loop though.

Despite a bad 4-5 months complete with one lame webinar, they still managed somehow to keep the buzz high. It dropped a bit after a disappointing itunes sync announcement and releasing highly coveted release date info through a simple press release. My first thought was "palm..what are you doing?"

Roger's comments and others in Palm were all over the place. We want the fat middle. We really have no idea who wants this. Ultimately it changed into..we target busy people. Again, Palm, what are you doing?

Shortly before launch, Verizon & AT&T both announce the Pre will be theirs in early 2010. Again, Palm what are you doing? Don't think for one minute Palm couldn't prevent that or work out a better exclusive with Sprint. Either way, that hurt Palm a bit but not too much as the mainstream probably remained oblivious. Sprint's fumbles is another topic though.

Palm then rolls out the lamest promotion ever conceived for such a buzz worthy product. Instead of being aggressive or at the least simply showing off its star, the Pre, they opted to make a bizarre woman the center of its commercials. Palm, what are you doing? It was at this point, an overwhelming desire to sell palm stock sprang up. Red flags. This is something Palm should've learned due to their past. Even if not learned, it just defied common sense.

But then came personal experience with less than stellar hardware. I had to make 4-5 exchanges and then still had to settle with a device that had some issues. Signal issues, dropped calls, an anemic phone app, and sluggish OS all combined to make it unusable for me. Nothing like dropping a call to a client. It had to go back. Wife loves it though but her's had to be exchanged for a refurb due to a stress crack along the USB port.

Somewhere in all that, the Pixi came to light. Different form factors are great of course, unless you're Palm coming out with a beta OS that need work. With their only hardware, the Pre, having shoddy quality, picking a low cost form factor like the Pixi made little sense. Anyone with half a brain could guess an 8gb Pre would soon compete in the 99 range. People incorrectly call the Pixi the Centro replacement completely ignoring what the Centro was..an evolution (upgrade) to the Treo line. This product, in addition, is aimed at tweeners supposedly competing with text phones but will still require a data plan. Palm, what are you doing? Doing nothing would've been preferable.

We learn as we go along that the graphics of this great processor cannot be accessed. That tech won't exist til they create it next year. By then, it's on to speculating about a Pre 2. Palm also seems to be having a problem with sounds, audio/video recording, OS slugishness, and enchancing any core strengths such as synergy. This is largely still in beta fixing mode. Hardly any marquee apps due to a subpar sdk with no end in sight when it would be made to par. I basically sold my stock at this point. Too many negatives. (Though i made a nice profit there..nice since the recession had tanked others in my portfolio).

And now a few days ago, we got Roger saying again.."we're targeting busy people." "We want to simplify people's complex lives" Well, such is the goal of all smartphones. And who isn't busy?

This cash strapped company is almost done playing its cards. Issuing new stock won't be an option again. Launching many carriers at once is costly. Palm has no focus, has no concept of marketing, and doesn't understand the playing field its in. It's do or die time and Palm acts as if they have 10 years to go.

Add in Android with 20 devices coming out it seems like, WM 7 looming, RIM getting a bit consumer focused, Nokia creating a new OS, and Apple who continues to dominate...well..let's just say things don't bode well for Palm that hasn't really woken up. Verizon's endorsement of android may be the final nail as a verizon launch in the US was crucial for Palm given the Sprint/Palm bungled mess.

Palm's only chance at this point IMO would be giant leaps made in hardware (and webOS) for their upcoming June 2010 models. An HD2 or preferably even better specced form factor is crucial. Make a landscape kb version of this device. Improve the Pixi to Pro status. And dump the current Pre or keep it for the cheap entry level spot. There's a reason why it's named "Pre" right? Or is there?

I wouldn't bet the farm on this happening...because it's Palm. And the company just lacks so many things aside from simply making that giant leap in hardware (and software).

With a book this long....the end..lol
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hbg View Post
    All of a sudden, Android phones are being announced by lots of carriers, with a number apparently to be announced by Verizon shortly. Is the Pre and Web OS is danger of being marginalized if Android comes on so strong? For example, if there many smartphones with Android, does it become very hard to convince developers to make apps for Web OS when there is a much bigger market in Android apps? Will Web OS simply become a distant, tiny market share participant that gets lost in the noise?
    I'm sure we've all seen the new Verizon Droid from Verizon Wireless commercial play on TV and I couldn't help but think why didn't Palm / Sprint do something like that? Web Os it's self is very cool, but I've visited a few sprint stores and for the most part everyone that's looking at it is also looking at the HERO and like the HERO because of the apps it has available.

I think what's going to happen is the features you see on you Web Os device i.e. Pre and Pixie will no longer be unique because everyone else will take those idea’s and incorporate them into there devices. Again we saw the iphone inspired version of multitasking and now Android 2.0 will have multitasking as well....

I hope Palm get's it into high gear, because they have an excellent product. iphone was the first and didn't need to create multiple versions of it's self nor did it need multiple phones on which it's OS resided simply because the apps made the phone what it is today. Android was the first real competition to the iphone and its OS has branched onto so many different phones and carriers Dev's would flock to it... I know I would. Now Palm has one product on a few carriers.

What is there plan? Is Palm to be like Apple and only have one phone...? No the Pixie is coming out, but unlike Google / Android there OS hasn't been leased out to the different manufacture's. So what is the future of Palm and more importantly Web Os?

I think Web Os needs to be pushed to other manufactures like Android has done. Get your product out there, I'm truly grateful Sprint was the first, but Palm needs to create envy. Right now I love it and you love it... However, there are plenty that need to be convinced that simply are not. Get your OS out there so other’s can use it…
    Quote Originally Posted by SHO_ONE View Post
    I'm sure we've all seen the new Verizon Droid from Verizon Wireless commercial play on TV and I couldn't help but think why didn't Palm / Sprint do something like that? Web Os it's self is very cool, but I've visited a few sprint stores and for the most part everyone that's looking at it is also looking at the HERO and like the HERO because of the apps it has available.

I think what's going to happen is the features you see on you Web Os device i.e. Pre and Pixie will no longer be unique because everyone else will take those idea’s and incorporate them into there devices. Again we saw the iphone inspired version of multitasking and now Android 2.0 will have multitasking as well....

I hope Palm get's it into high gear, because they have an excellent product. iphone was the first and didn't need to create multiple versions of it's self nor did it need multiple phones on which it's OS resided simply because the apps made the phone what it is today. Android was the first real competition to the iphone and its OS has branched onto so many different phones and carriers Dev's would flock to it... I know I would. Now Palm has one product on a few carriers.

What is there plan? Is Palm to be like Apple and only have one phone...? No the Pixie is coming out, but unlike Google / Android there OS hasn't been leased out to the different manufacture's. So what is the future of Palm and more importantly Web Os?

I think Web Os needs to be pushed to other manufactures like Android has done. Get your product out there, I'm truly grateful Sprint was the first, but Palm needs to create envy. Right now I love it and you love it... However, there are plenty that need to be convinced that simply are not. Get your OS out there so other’s can use it…
    Licensing webOS would be difficult IMO since Android is free? Correct me if i'm wrong though.. But if you're a manufacturer, wouldn't you pick Android for the same reasons that end users would pick it? It's more developed.

Palm's webOS does have good points to it especially the cards multitasking. Maybe someone will buy them out later to have full access to it plus all of Palm's patents.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I posted something similar. Forget where since things are getting moved around everywhere. Makes it easier to read those other thought provoking threads that don't get moved like "How long will you keep your Pre" and "Is it worth it to buy a touchstone?"

Anyways, I'm not a dev. I consult businesses and keep them on track or get them there to make a profit. Smartphones and other gadgets are my hobby. Especially Palm since i've been with them personally since the days of the Treo 300. I've practically inhaled everything on the net about Palm since that time. One thing i'm not is a blind cheerleader of any gadget. If they're doing things I don't agree with, i'll say it. If it's something great, i'll say that as well. I use the iphone but i'll be among the first to both criticize that and praise it as appropriate.

That said, and if anyone is still with me, Palm is an ideal company for a casestudy in a future MBA class. Announcing the Pre at CES was such a shock for a company sniffing fumes. I bought stock at that low time and encouraged others (clients) because I anticipated something from them or simply for them to be bought up. The Pre knocked me for a loop though.

Despite a bad 4-5 months complete with one lame webinar, they still managed somehow to keep the buzz high. It dropped a bit after a disappointing itunes sync announcement and releasing highly coveted release date info through a simple press release. My first thought was "palm..what are you doing?"

Roger's comments and others in Palm were all over the place. We want the fat middle. We really have no idea who wants this. Ultimately it changed into..we target busy people. Again, Palm, what are you doing?

Shortly before launch, Verizon & AT&T both announce the Pre will be theirs in early 2010. Again, Palm what are you doing? Don't think for one minute Palm couldn't prevent that or work out a better exclusive with Sprint. Either way, that hurt Palm a bit but not too much as the mainstream probably remained oblivious. Sprint's fumbles is another topic though.

Palm then rolls out the lamest promotion ever conceived for such a buzz worthy product. Instead of being aggressive or at the least simply showing off its star, the Pre, they opted to make a bizarre woman the center of its commercials. Palm, what are you doing? It was at this point, an overwhelming desire to sell palm stock sprang up. Red flags. This is something Palm should've learned due to their past. Even if not learned, it just defied common sense.

But then came personal experience with less than stellar hardware. I had to make 4-5 exchanges and then still had to settle with a device that had some issues. Signal issues, dropped calls, an anemic phone app, and sluggish OS all combined to make it unusable for me. Nothing like dropping a call to a client. It had to go back. Wife loves it though but her's had to be exchanged for a refurb due to a stress crack along the USB port.

Somewhere in all that, the Pixi came to light. Different form factors are great of course, unless you're Palm coming out with a beta OS that need work. With their only hardware, the Pre, having shoddy quality, picking a low cost form factor like the Pixi made little sense. Anyone with half a brain could guess an 8gb Pre would soon compete in the 99 range. People incorrectly call the Pixi the Centro replacement completely ignoring what the Centro was..an evolution (upgrade) to the Treo line. This product, in addition, is aimed at tweeners supposedly competing with text phones but will still require a data plan. Palm, what are you doing? Doing nothing would've been preferable.

We learn as we go along that the graphics of this great processor cannot be accessed. That tech won't exist til they create it next year. By then, it's on to speculating about a Pre 2. Palm also seems to be having a problem with sounds, audio/video recording, OS slugishness, and enchancing any core strengths such as synergy. This is largely still in beta fixing mode. Hardly any marquee apps due to a subpar sdk with no end in sight when it would be made to par. I basically sold my stock at this point. Too many negatives. (Though i made a nice profit there..nice since the recession had tanked others in my portfolio).

And now a few days ago, we got Roger saying again.."we're targeting busy people." "We want to simplify people's complex lives" Well, such is the goal of all smartphones. And who isn't busy?

This cash strapped company is almost done playing its cards. Issuing new stock won't be an option again. Launching many carriers at once is costly. Palm has no focus, has no concept of marketing, and doesn't understand the playing field its in. It's do or die time and Palm acts as if they have 10 years to go.

Add in Android with 20 devices coming out it seems like, WM 7 looming, RIM getting a bit consumer focused, Nokia creating a new OS, and Apple who continues to dominate...well..let's just say things don't bode well for Palm that hasn't really woken up. Verizon's endorsement of android may be the final nail as a verizon launch in the US was crucial for Palm given the Sprint/Palm bungled mess.

Palm's only chance at this point IMO would be giant leaps made in hardware (and webOS) for their upcoming June 2010 models. An HD2 or preferably even better specced form factor is crucial. Make a landscape kb version of this device. Improve the Pixi to Pro status. And dump the current Pre or keep it for the cheap entry level spot. There's a reason why it's named "Pre" right? Or is there?

I wouldn't bet the farm on this happening...because it's Palm. And the company just lacks so many things aside from simply making that giant leap in hardware (and software).

With a book this long....the end..lol

This basically sums up all my ideas about palm right now. webos is a good starting point, but palm needs to push it out into the market. they dont seem to be doing that right now. especially with the lackluster advertising. until it becomes more popular, i doubt they will have tons of devs flock to webos.
    Quote Originally Posted by slag02 View Post

What is the 700p doing besides video that the pre cant?
    1) Voicedialing. How can you even call the Pre a smartphone if it doesn't have voice dialing?

2) Backup Buddy to SD Card (saved my behind too many times to count. NOT coming to the Pre ever!)

3) Kinoma Player (I use this every day for multimedia viewing, podcasting, live internet radio streaming, mp3 listening and more). NOT coming to the Pre anytime soon. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've seen nothing too encouraging from Kinoma about this. On the bright side is does look like Coreplayer is coming soon.

4) Slingplayer Mobile (coming to the Pre someday soon I hope but not here yet.) I can watch live TV from my home cable DVR on my Treo 700p. Hate to give that up.

5) Warfare Incorporated - my favorite phone game. (Boots up on Pre via Classic but then becomes unplayable from what I've read. Correct me if you've actually played the game past the initial scenes.)

6) Open Chess - my next favorite game. I've seen only one chess game for the Pre and it sucks. It's basically just a programmer's demo with no real chess intelligence. Hopefully some day Pre will get Open Chess or better yet Arena Chess from Handmark which allows online human v human play. But from what I've read that would require C++ developer access, which MOJO SDK is refusing to most developers for the foreseeable future.

7) Datebk 6 or any other truly powerful calendar app. I'm sure you saw the recent PreCentral editorial on how lame the Pre's calendar app is. Datebk6 on my Treo runs circles around it.

8) Documents to Go. I'm not sure if the Pre can read PDF's yet, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have Docs2Go. I think it's been delayed for the Pre. My 700p already has it.

9) Omniremote to operate my Tivo and TV set via infrared. NOT coming to the Pre - ever!

10) Atari ST emulation via CaSTaway software. Nintendo & NES emulation. NOT coming to the Pre, not even via Classic. And before you laugh, I'll ask if you've ever played FTL's Dungeon Master. If you have, you know what a great game it was. If you haven't, you'll never understand the thrill I got the first time Dungeon Master booted up on my Treo 700p!

I'm not sure even the Droid will do all of these things, but from what I've read it offers plenty of other things that neither the Treo 700p nor the Pre can touch. It's the first phone that I can say is definitely BETTER than my 700p (not even the Iphone gets that status in my book.)
    Last edited by RolandStone; 10/21/2009 at 12:17 AM.
    I did take back the first iphone and went back to the Centro. That's how powerful the Palm OS was for all the criticism it got. Only when the app store appeared and 3G did the iphone become a better option for me. I still gave up some things though.

In much the same way, absent any other choices, i'd take a Centro over the Pre right now. Sure, the Pre has apps, but they're half baked apps. As are the native apps. Speed is an issue on the Pre as well.

It's the attack of the Droids now though. Even Dell is getting in on the act. Dell Streak is a 5-inch Android 2.0 MID, packs 3G and WiFi (video) A 5" capacitive multitouch 800x 480 smartphone running android 2.0?
    Quote Originally Posted by nwafreak View Post
    I think WebOS is truly a great platform, and Palm will gain a loyal following and have their share. Even its a its small following, loyal is the key word. As long as its "enough" of a following, I believe they should be able to hold their own.
    I have been one of those loyal Palm users since the very beginning. I didn't abandon Palm. Palm abandoned me.