Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1.    #1  
    That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.
  2. #2  
    Originally posted by slotmachine
    Is anybody really surprised?
    Surprised that some hunyuck thinks that Sony will take over the Palm OS? No.

    Surprised that you seem to think he's right? Yes.

    This is even less likely than the "Palm will aquire Handspring and Jeff will return to rule Gondor-er-Palm" stuff that we had a few months ago.

    If it comes true, I will be shocked off my chair. Lets face it, when has Sony shown itself to be a true enterprise-oriented company? They're strictly consumer, and their high-end Clies and Viaos are blips.

    ...or maybe I'm just overstating it to get the clie-lovers all riled up. I do love a good arguement.
  3. #3  
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn


    Surprised that some hunyuck thinks that Sony will take over the Palm OS? No.

    Surprised that you seem to think he's right? Yes.

    This is even less likely than the "Palm will aquire Handspring and Jeff will return to rule Gondor-er-Palm" stuff that we had a few months ago.

    If it comes true, I will be shocked off my chair. Lets face it, when has Sony shown itself to be a true enterprise-oriented company? They're strictly consumer, and their high-end Clies and Viaos are blips.

    ...or maybe I'm just overstating it to get the clie-lovers all riled up. I do love a good arguement.
    I have to agree. I just cannot see Sony wanting to do this.

    As for Palm, despite rumors I just cannot see them getting ready to sell. They just finished splitting the company and they did acquire BeOS. Why, with OS5 in development, would they sell now?
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
  4. #4  
    Originally posted by GSR13


    As for Palm, despite rumors I just cannot see them getting ready to sell. They just finished splitting the company and they did acquire BeOS. Why, with OS5 in development, would they sell now?
    Although I don't necessarily think Sony is interested in taking over the development of Palm OS, I don't agree with your statement either. By splitting the company into separate entities, the have made it easier to sell the OS entity if they wish (to Sony or anyone else).

    Additionally, Palm might not feel they have the financial resources to really take Palm OS5 where it should be (I don't know how they paid for BeOS but they could have an interest paying loan on it they cannot afford) while Sony does have virtually unlimited resources. By selling off the Palm OS, they could ensure the survival of Palm the hardware maker by sacrificing Palm the OS developer.

    Again, I don't believe this is the case but it is not incredible either.
    No more rhymes...and this time I mean it!
  5. #5  
    Lets face it, when has Sony shown itself to be a true enterprise-oriented company? They're strictly consumer, and their high-end Clies and Viaos are blips.
    Why does Palm OS have to be enterprise-oreinted to succeed? If the consumer market wants it, then who cares? (from a business perspective).

    I can see a lot of reasons for Sony wanting to purchase Palm. First of all, they make great Palm OS PDAs. Second of all, they'd have potential access to BeOS...a powerful OS that would certainly compliment their laptop line, not to mention a wide range of other devices they manufacture (BeOS on your Playstation...that'd be fun!)

    I could see Sony wanting to take the Apple route...make good hardware, control the OS, and be happy. Screw microsoft.

    Cringley's a smart guy, too. Yea, this is just a rumour, but he clearly stated that.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
  6. #6  
    Nope -- I don't buy it for a minute.

    But Dietrich, I love the Aragorn/Hawkins analogy! ("When the OS which is broken is reforged...")
    Jeff Meyer

    "And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
  7. #7  
    Originally posted by maddog

    Although I don't necessarily think Sony is interested in taking over the development of Palm OS, I don't agree with your statement either. By splitting the company into separate entities, the have made it easier to sell the OS entity if they wish (to Sony or anyone else).
    While it's true the split makes it easier to sell the OS division, it wouldn't be a particularly bright move on Palm's part (not that this hasn't stopped Palm in the past). The OS, and the IP associated with it, is Palm's capital: the hardware is just a comodity and a vehicle for getting the OS out there. Sell the OS, and you've basically sold the entire company.

    No, it makes no sense to sell the OS. Outsourcing (more than they currently do) or rebranding the hardware does.
    It's gotta be weather balloons. It's always weather balloons. Big, fiery, exploding weather balloons.
    -- ComaVN (from Slashdot)
  8. #8  
    Having sony buy the OS portion of palm would probably add those multimedia capabilities we all want in OS5.
    You know it's bad when your Calculus Professor uses the word "Unpossible"

    "It's a long way from my thoughts to what I'll say, It's a long, long way from paradise to where I am today." -Switchfoot, Home
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    Surprised that some hunyuck thinks that Sony will take over the Palm OS? No.

    Surprised that you seem to think he's right? Yes.
    Still upset about the Twins?
    For the record, I think it is a bad idea, but Palm has had a string of those over the last 18 mos.
    That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.

Posting Permissions