1.    #1  
    Can we stop comparing the Pre to a 3 year old iphone? It's not fair to the iphone, because Palm could/should have used all the publicly learned issues Apple discovered in two years as well as plain, old, expected cellular phone features. I think it's only fair to compare the Palm Pre to the Iphone 3GS when discussing iphone comparisons.

If not, why don't we just compare it to a Blackberry Quark to show how behind Blackberry is?

RIM BlackBerry 6210 (RIM Quark) Specs | Technical Specifications | PDAdb.net - Comprehensive Database of PDA, PDA Phone, Smartphone, PNA & Mobile Device Specifications
    I don't think anybody is comparing the Pre to the original iPhone. The fair comparison is the development process when you create a new phone and operating system which is completely valid.
    Blackberry still is behind I don't compare the Pre to a 3 year old iPhone personally, but I do compare expectations to it. A lot of the expectations people have are outlandish, to say the least, and we have history to show us why, be it the iPhone, Blackberry, Android, etc.
    I agree
    I like to compare my PALM Pre to a bushel of ripe tomatoes.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    I agree
    With what? There are 3 possible posts to agree with
    What's an iPhone?
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    What's an iPhone?
    Kind of like an I, Robot, but a phone?
    Phones and everything else will always be compared to the current standard. iphone sets the bar regardless if it has been out 3 years or 1. Pre is not the only device to be scutinized based on its similarties/differences to iphone. Every smart phone takes a shot at the iphone killer moniker. all fail.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    I compare my Pre to a dvd copy of Eraserhead.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    I don't think anybody is comparing the Pre to the original iPhone. The fair comparison is the development process when you create a new phone and operating system which is completely valid.
    I agree completely, I think the majority of people are not trying to compare the features of the Pre against the 1st iPhone, but comparing where WebOS is in the development lifecycle to the first iPhone. If Palm included all the features that everyone claims they can't live without, none of us would have a Pre until 2010 at the earliest. I would rather deal with some missing features and bugs and enjoy the phone every day rather then still be waiting for it to come out. They built a new OS, it takes time to get all the features in and Palm couldn't wait forever.
    There is a map for that.
    hardware wise yes the original iphone is 3 years old but software wise its been updated.
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    I agree man, maybe not all do, but i do hear alot of it and whenever...let's focus on getting the pre fully developed where it's lacking instead of pointing out features it has compared to others....
    Sprint Palm Pre-
    I have no problem with the comparisons. Both products are available now. Comparing it to the old Iphone is useless to me. I want my phone to be the best now. Palm took a good amount of what the Pre is from Apple and based their OS on Linux. It's not completely new. They're not working in a vaccuum. Luckily, for me, the Pre IS the best phone available. I love it.

On the other hand, this post, like others like it, should be in the cross-platform section, not this one.
    <Moved>
    Comparing is fine since as a consumer, you try to find what is the best for your $. A lot of users like the Iphone because of ease of use and functionality for them. A number of users with Palm OS are doing the same thing.

You are looking for same or better functionality. Everything else is icing on the cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by strudel View Post
    I would rather deal with some missing features and bugs and enjoy the phone every day rather then still be waiting for it to come out.
    Well said.

Doubt I can post links yet, but if you google "joel software duct tape programmer" then 'I'm Feeling Lucky' will take you to a great article containing this little gem:

"A 50%-good solution that people actually have solves more problems and survives longer than a 99% solution that nobody has because itís in your lab where youíre endlessly polishing the d__n thing. Shipping is a feature. A really important feature. Your product must have it."
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer