Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Interestingly enough, I had a PalmIIIc, I loved the thing, the color wasn't vibrant, but the screen was still pretty good, it was cheap, it was easy to use, and after I removed the OS waitstates, it was fast. But then I wanted music playback and voice recording, so I went with the Casio EM500. There were dead pixels on the screen, and no best buy in town had another one, so I ended up trading it in for a Jornada 548.

And here's where my PPC odyssey begins. The 548 was ok, for most things, I could play doom on it, get my work done in Pocket Word etc etc. But it was SLOW! That 133 MHz processor just didn't have the horsepower I needed. It ran one application at a time just fine, but after that, it slowed down considerably. Eventually, I got an iPAQ 3635, great PDA, except the dust problem, so as soon as they came out, I got a 3835, and for the month and a half I've had it, I've been happy.

Also, about Voice Recording on PPC, you can change the quality of the recording, even the lowest quality is pretty easy to hear and is good for just recording information, which is what most people use it for anyway, and only takes 2KB per second of recorded sound. The highest quality takes up about 120KB per second of recorded audio.

BTW, Palm's aren't bad machines at all, but if you want to talk about anything beyond normal PIM tasks, PPC just blows it out of the water in my opinion, in everything from Games to multimedia.

One more thing, AzNCoMpUtAnErD, if you really want to hit a low blow with WinCE, talk about how miserable Microsoft Reader is...
    LOL, I guess everyone started with a Palm IIIc. It was a great unit, but you can't beat the clie. PPC just ain't for me, it's cool it works for you! I thought it would fulfill "all my dreams" haha, but it never did. She was a dream girl that didn't perform . As for games, the only games I play are turn base ones. I only play games when I have a spare moment. I don't like to or have time to play games where you can't turn away from them, (i.e. doom, or games you have to use the hardware buttons) In that sense, Palm has better games! hehe. But I have no problem with Doom or Quake on the go. Play on my friend's iPAQ once in a while As for voice recording, that would be cool on my Edge, envy you there...but my cheapie tape recorder works fine too. Can you record and use the iPAQ at the same time?
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .
    Originally posted by b1lanceman
    One more thing, AzNCoMpUtAnErD, if you really want to hit a low blow with WinCE, talk about how miserable Microsoft Reader is...
    So I've heard, haha...downloading Tome Raider or other mobile formats I'm sure are MUCH better than Microsoft Reader. And more titles. Never tried because the books costed money and sucked....Only thing I read is AvantGo Pocket PC's do that pretty well... But so does my Edge, I love the font I've got with FontHack!
    nelson.hsieh
    Zaurus rules! It will take its rightful place as King of the PDAs!

It's got Linux, pocket Opera, and hopefully the open-source community will rally behind it and lots of apps will come out. The CF and SD slots give it some interesting possibilities, plus that hidden keyboard rocks. I used a Microsoft WinCE device and I hated it because I could only find 1 program for it...
    Originally posted by Techie2000
    Zaurus rules! It will take its rightful place as King of the PDAs!

It's got Linux, pocket Opera, and hopefully the open-source community will rally behind it and lots of apps will come out. The CF and SD slots give it some interesting possibilities, plus that hidden keyboard rocks. I used a Microsoft WinCE device and I hated it because I could only find 1 program for it...
    It seems like a great little unit, but I don't think it will do that well, even among us power users...I mean, we already have PPC and PalmOS, and they're hitting it hard...as well as HandEra. A fourth competitor is gonna be hard, and it doesn't seem THAT appealing, least to me...Almost everything Sharp has made has gone obselote or flopped, LOL, those "electronic" organizers wayyy back We'll see...but don't keep your hopes too high up...
    nelson.hsieh
    Instead of buying the Zaurus, go get yourself an iPAQ 3635 and load linux on it. That way, if you ever get displeased with linux, you can always switch back to PPC OS. Heck, the specs on the Zaurus and the iPAQ are close to being the same anyways. Also, there's already a large amount of community support for the iPAQ linux distributions you can go to www.handhelds.org if you need info on it. On top of all that, the iPAQ 3670 (the model with 64 MB RAM) is cheaper than the Sharp Zaurus will be by about $200.

But if you do decide to go the iPAQ route for linux, go for 36xx or 37xx, they don't have linux fully running on the 3800 series yet.

Also, AzNCoMpUtAnErD, compaq fixed the multiple button press problem in the 3835. My only real gripe is that MS needs to fix Pocket Reader, to say it's a massive resource hog is a horrible understatement, somebody at MS should have been hanged for the miserable job they did creating it.
    So I've seen Linux on the iPAQ. Looks sooo niice, but that's just not enough to convince to move to the dark side, haha. I can get the looks on the girl I got now...she's perty cute . Maybe someday...who knows? I swicth around on girls all the time, he he he...Yea, I've heard they FINALLY did that, for hard core gamers like yourself! jk! That Microsoft Reader sounds pretty disappointing, any third party replacements our there?

I keep myself informed on all platforms, so I KNOW more than you think, hehe. PPC, PalmOS, PSION. I've owned 'em all .
    nelson.hsieh
    Originally posted by AzNCoMpUtAnErD
    Almost everything Sharp has made has gone obselote or flopped, LOL, those "electronic" organizers wayyy back
    Those electronic organizers did pretty darn well back in the day. Sure, the PalmPilot pretty much killed them off, but the original PalmPilot is every bit as obsolete today. And if you want to talk "obsolete products" let's talk Sony Betamax

I'll agree that Sharp has never really "cornered the market" on anything, but they've made some excellent products over the years. I *still* use my trusty Sharp EL-506P calculator that I bought back in the mid 80's - and it's only on it's second set of batteries!
    <ul><li>Dave Kessler<br>President - Kopsis, Inc.</li></ul>
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12