Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Where is the site for the Hero that I can find the app similar to Preware that makes installing tweaks (such as their rom builds) as easy to install as they are on the pre? Whats keeping me with the Pre is the ease of use in all aspects. Even hacking.
    Here's a question: Which device is easier to hack, the Pre or the Hero? Why (or how)?
    (this is a 2 part question, cant answer one without the other)

Also, what makes rom builds more special with the Hero, when I could do the same with the HTC Touch Pro? And what makes widgets so special when the Samsung Omnia already had them? SPB Mobile as well apllied the usage of widgets on multiple screens.
    Maybe you should do a couple searches and see what all apps you might like. There are 10,000 or so. Some useful info at

Sprint Hero by HTC community

HTC Hero - Android Forums,

AndroLib, Find all applications and games available in the Android Market for your Android Phone, HTC Dream, HTC Magic etc...,

Android | Official Website,
    etc., etc.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnienyc View Post
    Maybe you should do a couple searches and see what all apps you might like. There are 10,000 or so. Some useful info at

Sprint Hero by HTC community

HTC Hero - Android Forums,

AndroLib, Find all applications and games available in the Android Market for your Android Phone, HTC Dream, HTC Magic etc...,

Android | Official Website,
    etc., etc.
    i think you missed the point.. i'm not talking about an app number. i'm simply talking about one single app that handles tweaks, interface, and usability like preware does... i know about apps and rom mods.. but everyone has crappy apps.. windows could boast 15,000 or more if they want.. and rom mods are tedious and its not like i couldnt do them on my htc touch pro.. so again.. where is the single app that make applying hack easy to the normal consumer? ease of use all around the board.. where is it? i want practical, usable hacks (possibly in the form of "one" app).. not crappy apps
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    and please dont answer if youre not gonna answer the two part question.. that is my whole point.. if u know what youre talking about, you wont direct me to pages i"ve already seen.. please.. tel me something that i dont know.. or keep proving to me that the android os is all hype.
    For the windows mobile roms your basically just modding closed source applications and making tweaks that way. their is no source code available so the changes are not exactly stable. with android ALL the source code is available to us, we can rewrite the entire os if we want to tailor it to our needs. its a little harder because its compiled code, cant just apply tweaks and expect it to function properly. only reason it works on the Pre is because the pre uses a scripting language...but because of that its very limited on what it can do, how fast the code runs, how much power those applications have..etc. theirs no single application that i'm aware of for android thats like preware due to what i listed above. if you dont feel comfortable flashing custom builds then you are limiting yourself to the full potential of the phone/os. its not about hype or anything but it seems like from your undertone you would not be happy with hero. the roms that ship on the phones are usually usable but from experience i've found that their not fast or optimized. i'm not gonna bother going into much detail other than what i have said since your basically just on a rant(so it seems)
    What I am suggesting is that you may get better answers in those forums. Good luck.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Binary Tech View Post
    For the windows mobile roms your basically just modding closed source applications and making tweaks that way. their is no source code available so the changes are not exactly stable. with android ALL the source code is available to us, we can rewrite the entire os if we want to tailor it to our needs. its a little harder because its compiled code, cant just apply tweaks and expect it to function properly. only reason it works on the Pre is because the pre uses a scripting language...but because of that its very limited on what it can do, how fast the code runs, how much power those applications have..etc. theirs no single application that i'm aware of for android thats like preware due to what i listed above. if you dont feel comfortable flashing custom builds then you are limiting yourself to the full potential of the phone/os. its not about hype or anything but it seems like from your undertone you would not be happy with hero. the roms that ship on the phones are usually usable but from experience i've found that their not fast or optimized. i'm not gonna bother going into much detail other than what i have said since your basically just on a rant(so it seems)
    you know what? thats exactly the kind of reply i wanted..lol.. i'm not necessarily on a rant as much as i just want to know the phone's full capabilities.. now my thing is the ease of use.. the capability to rewrite the whole android os and the fact that it is "encouraged" so to speak.. is amazing. i didnt know it was built to be able to handle that.. thats cool and makes me much more interested.. but now the thing is.. how can they make this more user friendly to people who dont know much about coding or flashing? i mean, what good is the capability if for one its not well advertised and only a small percent of android users are actually doing these things.. and that is what i like about the webos.. how easy it is.. i can see the future potential.. its still a baby right now.. imagine the pre 2. i believe that webos, in the future will be a leading platform.. with processor upgrades, the implementation of opengl and flash. i feel like palm is doing something completely new in formatting devices..and making things easier on coders.. not to mention stylishly.. and it seems like android, granted the fact that their open (which is the only way to be in the new era) arent really doing anything outside of the box. thats just my opinion so, in your opinion, which os do you think has a brighter future?
    with android ALL the source code is available to us, we can rewrite the entire os if we want to tailor it to our needs.
    I understand that Android is open-source, but is HTC's Sense UI? Or is it closed like Google's apps?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    ah.. good question brain!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    I understand that Android is open-source, but is HTC's Sense UI? Or is it closed like Google's apps?
    Very good question, so far I havnt messed with the sense interface or even checked if theirs a repo we can download from but if its closed source then that would really defeat the whole open source pros to owning one for development.latest source tree I am using is donut. I have a few other projects i'm doing but once I look into it if theirs no code I wont be very pleased. it would only mean we cant distribute the roms legally to others. I'm kinda thinking though the sense interface is just a custom theme using the android theme system.
    Global Posts
    2,476 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by d.moss View Post
    Where is the site for the Hero that I can find the app similar to Preware that makes installing tweaks (such as their rom builds) as easy to install as they are on the pre? Whats keeping me with the Pre is the ease of use in all aspects. Even hacking.
    Here's a question: Which device is easier to hack, the Pre or the Hero? Why (or how)?
    (this is a 2 part question, cant answer one without the other)

Also, what makes rom builds more special with the Hero, when I could do the same with the HTC Touch Pro? And what makes widgets so special when the Samsung Omnia already had them? SPB Mobile as well apllied the usage of widgets on multiple screens.
    Why would you need to "hack" the Hero? Basically every "hack", "tweak" or "patch" that Preware has for the Pre the Hero has standard...lol.

Android Market is amazing. You honestly dont need the "hack" a Hero or any Android phone for that matter...imo, anyway...
    Very good question, so far I havnt messed with the sense interface or even checked if theirs a repo we can download from but if its closed source then that would really defeat the whole open source pros to owning one for development.latest source tree I am using is donut. I have a few other projects i'm doing but once I look into it if theirs no code I wont be very pleased. it would only mean we cant distribute the roms legally to others. I'm kinda thinking though the sense interface is just a custom theme using the android theme system.
    I went looking and couldn't come up with anything, but my Googlefu may be rusty. Also, I suspect its more than just themes, considering the multitouch zoom in the browser and the EAS support.

This is one of my concerns with Android. All these OEMs are developing custom UIs (HTC Sense UI, Sony Rachel, Motorola Blur, Samsung TouchWiz) that are going to be bound to the hardware (better UI might sell more phones, more money for the OEM). Those improvements won't get pushed back into Android, and will probably segment the Android market.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    I went looking and couldn't come up with anything, but my Googlefu may be rusty. Also, I suspect its more than just themes, considering the multitouch zoom in the browser and the EAS support.

This is one of my concerns with Android. All these OEMs are developing custom UIs (HTC Sense UI, Sony Rachel, Motorola Blur, Samsung TouchWiz) that are going to be bound to the hardware (better UI might sell more phones, more money for the OEM). Those improvements won't get pushed back into Android, and will probably segment the Android market.
    I'm gonna have to look around for it to be sure, the Android theme builders on XDA do custom interfaces using the theming system so i know its possible. the multi-touch works the same way on my G1 as it does on my Hero so the interface has very little to do with it. I believe theirs also a custom rom that has EAS although I never checked since I have no need. its the same CPU, the G1 was just severely under clocked using the factory rom almost to the point making me not want to use the phone, after flashing the custom rom with higher CPU speeds enabled it runs just as well as the Hero, only less battery life...plus still have my keyboard.
    Not sure why something like preware would be needed. It's key for the pre because it lacked some things. The hero doesn't need any tweaking from what I can see. Every option people are trying to put on the pre are already on the hero. Some examples.... call forwarding, battery percentage, disabling tones or changing tones, hiding apps, enabling led, virtual keyboard, time stamps, all email hacks. We have all this out the box. This is the first phone I have had that doesn't need a rom or patch to work correctly.
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by d.moss View Post
    you know what? thats exactly the kind of reply i wanted..lol.. i'm not necessarily on a rant as much as i just want to know the phone's full capabilities.. now my thing is the ease of use.. the capability to rewrite the whole android os and the fact that it is "encouraged" so to speak.. is amazing. i didnt know it was built to be able to handle that.. thats cool and makes me much more interested.. but now the thing is.. how can they make this more user friendly to people who dont know much about coding or flashing? i mean, what good is the capability if for one its not well advertised and only a small percent of android users are actually doing these things.. and that is what i like about the webos.. how easy it is.. i can see the future potential.. its still a baby right now.. imagine the pre 2. i believe that webos, in the future will be a leading platform.. with processor upgrades, the implementation of opengl and flash. i feel like palm is doing something completely new in formatting devices..and making things easier on coders.. not to mention stylishly.. and it seems like android, granted the fact that their open (which is the only way to be in the new era) arent really doing anything outside of the box. thats just my opinion so, in your opinion, which os do you think has a brighter future?
    Getting my sprint hero soon what are a few absolute must have apps? - Android Forums
    "Anyone who quotes me in their signature is an *****." -- StormD