Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Had a Pre since 6/11 and absolutely loved it but since then I've had my first baby and my needs have changed. Desperately needed a phone with a video recorder (proper UI, options, etc.) and a better camera with autofocus, etc. Also wanted more storage than 8gb. Was debating going to Iphone 3gs but instead yesterday I managed to score a HTC Hero at a Sprint store. I had to pay full price which sucks but I'm selling the Pre so that should make up the difference.

I really am loving the Hero but I do already miss some of things on the Pre. Namely the multitasking which should be no surprise. But other things I didn't expect was the browser on the Hero is great but Pre's is better by far. The UI on Pre seems more fluid and natural and not having gestures sucks too. But in the end, this phone has the video recorder/autofocus camera and expandable memory which is what I need right now.

I feel bad leaving the Precentral community but I'm sure the Pre will continue to grow. Maybe I'll come back to Palm with the Pre 2? Good luck to you all...I'm off to AndroidCentral
    "There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't"
    Good luck with your new baby and phone!
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    So long.. I thought about getting a hero but I love my pre too much for me to change at the moment! Well good luck with the hero and congrats on the new little one. :-)
    You could have bought a pretty good camera for the price you paid for the Hero
  5. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Thanks for letting us know!
    was thinking about getting a hero but I think imma stick with my pre for now and wait for a faster android setup (maybe snapdragon).
    Because most people have thier cell phones with them all the time. Most people don't carry around a video camera with them. I totally feel his pain. I have two young kids and I love getting little clips of them doing something funny in the spur-of-the-moment way, that only kids do. It kinda sucks that I can't record those moments with my cell phone, but in this case I love the rest of the phone so much I can overlook it.
    ^^^^^
    Most PARENTS WOULD carry a camera around expecting those "spur-of-the-moment" actions that only kids do. I know many that do. How do you think OUR parents took pictures and video before camera phones came out. Common sense.
    He is gonna get the hero and the wife will end up buying some 1000$$$$ video camara.
    lol>>>>
    When you got a 3yr old running around like i do, you then know what he's going through. Sure, i got cameras, a decent canon hf200 camcorder, but i still want video on the phone for those times i don't have those other gadgets with me.

Even a crappy video from a phone. You never get those kid moments back.
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    congratulations on the new addition to the family and best of luck !
    Just wanted to make a further point, Palm absolutely needs audio/video recording. This isn't a "nice to have if they have time to do" thing. Nor is it a "well they never promised it and you're foolish to wait for it" thing.

Sales have slowed down for them. Poor execution is the main culprit. But being the only smartphone that can't record anything doesn't help either. Or having a mere 8gb. Especially with a real competitor (mainly because its on sprint) in the Hero. Forget the iphone BS.. Palm will introduce a 16gb version soon anyways.

It's crucial (for palm) that they step it up and get it done in 1.3. Even if you don't think its crucial, its certainly one of the most bang for the buck feature updates they could add. It could also open up room for some apps if Palm lets devs have api's for audio recording...i'd love to see a webOS version of CallRec.

Hmm...do i work on video recording or devoting time to update text forwarding or perfecting copy n paste? It's a nobrainer for which would have more mass appeal.
    The camera is a big point for me too, I just don't know whether to upgrade to a Pre or wait for the next generation :/

Good luck anyway!
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilehavoc View Post
    ....and a better camera with autofocus, etc.

Not to nitpick but why does everyone think the Pre does not have autofocus just because its not listed in the specs? Of course it has autofocus, how do you think it focuses? It certainly does not have manual focus.

In my opinion the camera is a mute point. Anyone who use a cell phone to take pictures or videos does give a dam about photography or videography. Get a real camera for that.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Not to nitpick but why does everyone think the Pre does not have autofocus just because its not listed in the specs? Of course it has autofocus, how do you think it focuses? It certainly does not have manual focus.
    In this case it actually has a fixed focus, which means it is always focused on the medium range, centre point of any scene.

Autofocus is when the lens adjusts itself depending on what you want to take a picture of.

Hopefully the next generation of Palm devices will have autofocus
    Quote Originally Posted by kirbz View Post
    In this case it actually has a fixed focus, which means it is always focused on the medium range, centre point of any scene.

Autofocus is when the lens adjusts itself depending on what you want to take a picture of.

Hopefully the next generation of Palm devices will have autofocus
    What is medium range? 4', 6' or 8'? This might help me know the proper distance for taking pictures.

Good luck with the little monster, you're gonna need it.
    Quote Originally Posted by meatpuppet View Post
    What is medium range? 4', 6' or 8'? This might help me know the proper distance for taking pictures.
    I really have no idea I'm afraid (the Pre hasn't been released in my country yet). I only meant to describe the concept of fixed focus cameras
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ConeNubi701 View Post
    ^^^^^
    Most PARENTS WOULD carry a camera around expecting those "spur-of-the-moment" actions that only kids do. I know many that do. How do you think OUR parents took pictures and video before camera phones came out. Common sense.
    Exactly What We Do

Maybe it's the whole new parent thing.....

when my kids were small, we carried everything you could imagine...and that was when cell phones and cameras weren't so small as they are today; some days it looked like we were off to combat LOL

He doesnt know how lucky he has it that things are so small today
    good luck my man! I agree that not having some of the basic things on this phone is quite annoying but we are in the midst of growing pains with this device.

you can come back in a year anyways, ul get the sprint premiere customer 1 year upgrade and be back in the webOS game!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast