Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kirbz View Post
    In this case it actually has a fixed focus, which means it is always focused on the medium range, centre point of any scene.

Autofocus is when the lens adjusts itself depending on what you want to take a picture of.

Hopefully the next generation of Palm devices will have autofocus
    The pre has a fixed focus camera, but it isn't always focused on the medium range center point. It keeps things in focus by having a small aperture to give you a very deep field of view. This comes at a cost of letting less light into the camera.

That means that the camera is focused from about 6" to infinity all the time.

I don't understand the big deal about autofocus cameras on cell phones. It just means that the aperture can be bigger which gives you slightly better low light performance, and lets you do a little bit here and there with limited bokeh but it's still a LONG way from a useful, decent camera, IMO.

If you want a decent camera to take videos and whatnot of the kids, get a flip or a elph or something. It'll take infinitely better pictures and video than any cell phone camera can.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by speakeazy86 View Post
    was thinking about getting a hero but I think imma stick with my pre for now and wait for a faster android setup (maybe snapdragon).
    Agree, Hero sounds nice but not enough to make me jump ship, might be a different story when HTC Leo comes around but then again maybe Palm may have a new trick up their sleeve.

Sitting tight for now.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I would have to agree with some of the posters on this one.
    The iphone 3gs that likes to show its camera and editing features on every other commercial is really not what they advertise. What they dont tell you is that the video is recorded in a pretty crappy format that doesnt even take up your whole computer screen. The resolution is so poor when played on anything over 3.5 inches that it makes your parents shoulder mounted vhs camera look like high definition.

Main point is that really good video cameras with zoom lenses are small and cheap enough that you will be so much better served with one of them. They record on memory cards that are easy to transfer to a portable hard drive or dvd.

I am a parent of 2 small ones also. I had the iphone. Actually still do until the end of the month. (making sure i like the pre for the 30 days before i make a final decision). I am not going to let something like the 5mp specs make my decision. Or a poor resolution video camera.

Good luck with the little one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gompers View Post
    The pre has a fixed focus camera, but it isn't always focused on the medium range center point. It keeps things in focus by having a small aperture to give you a very deep field of view. This comes at a cost of letting less light into the camera.

That means that the camera is focused from about 6" to infinity all the time.

I don't understand the big deal about autofocus cameras on cell phones. It just means that the aperture can be bigger which gives you slightly better low light performance, and lets you do a little bit here and there with limited bokeh but it's still a LONG way from a useful, decent camera, IMO.

If you want a decent camera to take videos and whatnot of the kids, get a flip or a elph or something. It'll take infinitely better pictures and video than any cell phone camera can.
    I agree. Camera phones are still crap and I would only use them for situations where I need something quickly.. like a licence plate or something.. Even though the camera is fixed focus and a higher fstop, it has the LED flash to help with that. Either way, using a cell phone for low light pictures will still result in pictures that look like ***.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    I played with the Hero in my local Sprint store yesterday. Nice phone. Thats about the end of it though. No gestures (yet), to many hard buttons for my taste, laggy although admittedly it wasn't anymore so than the Pre. But considering the Android platform has been out as long as it has been, I truly expected fluid performance. I didn't really see anything on the Hero that was so much better that I would swap. How often do I really take video?
    It's amazing to me how many people are hung up on the lack of video recording, which is a totally over-rated feature on a smart phone. I used the feature a total of one time between the 5 smart phones I've had prior to Pre.

There are a lot of other things that Palm desperately needs to address (*cough* app limit *cough*) and video recording isn't high on that list.
    Played with the Hero earlier today and there is no way I'd switch to it over the Pre. The multitasking, gestures, and just a general feeling of being more fluid makes the Pre better IMO. If i had never owned a Pre I would love the Hero I'm sure. Now whenever I hold or play with another device it feels so foreign to me and I forget how to even get around on them.

That being said...if the Pre isn't meeting your needs then good luck to you and hope you enjoy your Hero.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Well congrats on your new baby. Also thanks for the straight up talk about your new Hero and why you made the switch - nice to see a switcher not being arrogant and snarky like some others that have gone or are going Hero. And that's the truth.
    BTW, today is technically launch day for the Hero and someone is ALREADY complaining about the video camera quality: http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-...a-lacking.html
    amazes me how so many still say crap like this... You are thinking days of taking pics on RAZR. it's like saying "browsing on phones is sooooo overrated."

the pre takes excellent pics. That being said the 3gs takes excellent movies... As good as those flip cameras all the moms are carrying. And how it's integrated with camera and can flip to video instantly is great. And the ability to edit your clip a little on the fly then upload without having to dump on pc is genius.

Give these phones more credit deserved for multimedia. Been Fantastic having for those moments with kids/family

Quote Originally Posted by DeathsArrow View Post
    It's amazing to me how many people are hung up on the lack of video recording, which is a totally over-rated feature on a smart phone. I used the feature a total of one time between the 5 smart phones I've had prior to Pre.

There are a lot of other things that Palm desperately needs to address (*cough* app limit *cough*) and video recording isn't high on that list.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    amazes me how so many still say crap like this... You are thinking days of taking pics on RAZR. it's like saying "browsing on phones is sooooo overrated."
    It's not crap when it's true. Worthless features are still worthless. I can see the parent or twee factor, but if I want video, I have a video camera.

Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    the pre takes excellent pics.
    It takes DECENT pictures at best. Saying they're excellent is an affront to anyone that actually knows something about photography.
    rc64: the Pre has NO focus. It is a permanent focus point on somewhere between here and the horizon.

for Mobilehavoc re Hero Multitasking: hold the Home key down to quickly switch between open apps ;-) Works like a charm.
  13.    #33  
    Thanks for the responses everyone. 24 hours in to the Hero experience and so far so good.

- I feel spoilt for riches with the app selection but a lot of the ones I love just came out NOW so I'm sure webOS will be like this in another year or so. Specific ones for cool factor are Layar and Wikitude (augmented reality that's useful). Amazon and ShopSavvy both have barcode scanners that actually work amazingly well. Facebook app is not as good as on iPhone but it's better than none at all. Standard google apps are obviously superb included a dedicated Gmail, Google maps, Google voice, Listen (cool podcast app by Google!),etc.

- I've been using it a TON so battery life is hard to judge but so far seems better than what I was getting on Pre. Seems the Hero does a better job with battery drain when in standby than Pre. Time will tell but so far I'm impressed

- Camera has a ton of options I didn't even know about including adjusting White Balance, Exposure, etc. and it zooms! Autofocus works well and is fast. Low light PQ is so-so and there's no flash. Video recorder is OK, in bright light/outdoors seems to work great but indoors/low-light is pretty much useless but better than nothing.

- HTC's Synergy type function works better for me than Palm's Synergy. only links the Facebook contacts that match your own rather than all or nothing. Can browse people's flickr/facebook pictures from their contact card.

- Build quality is surprisingly good, solid. Nice rubberized back (like Touchstone back) and glass screen that doesn't get too messy (some coating). Trackball is good to have.

There's a ton more but I think HTC Sense and the other stuff they did on the Hero is the only thing that makes it. If it was a G1 or Mytouch with just Vanilla Android I'd be back with the Pre right now. I think HTC Hero could really be Sprint's answer to the iPhone - no joke. With all the Android phones coming out on Verizon and AT&T as well I think the platform will grow a lot.

I'm definitely interested in coming back to webOS once it matures a little bit.
    "There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't"
    Quote Originally Posted by speakeazy86 View Post
    was thinking about getting a hero but I think imma stick with my pre for now and wait for a faster android setup (maybe snapdragon).
    HTC is working on one called the HTC Dragon.
    Quote Originally Posted by meatpuppet View Post
    What is medium range? 4', 6' or 8'? This might help me know the proper distance for taking pictures.
    Fixed focus is set at the closest distance that will still allow images to be focused out to infinity. Typically, for camera optics, this is in the 12-15 foot range. Anything closer than this distance becomes more and more out of focus
    re: - HTC's Synergy type function works better for me than Palm's Synergy. only links the Facebook contacts that match your own rather than all or nothing.

Interesting, so the facebook sync does not add contacts?? I have been hesitant to do this because i do not want hundreds of my fb "friends" showing up on my phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Hmm...do i work on video recording or devoting time to update text forwarding or perfecting copy n paste? It's a nobrainer for which would have more mass appeal.
    I'd rather have full copy and paste before video recording. Buy a camcorder.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    No flash ?????
    Video recording is a moot point since I would be surprised if we don't see a real video recording app in the near future. And even if that doesn't happen the homebrew community should have something ready soon.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    I would agree moot is the point ....it didnt have video when you bought it ....you knew the storage limits....Not sure why you bought it ..glad you decided to buy a phone with what you wanted in one ...not sure why the rest of us would need any "Good Luck" I think we are having great luck with the updates from palm and especially from the homebrew set. Thanks I guess for letting us know that you won't be using the Pre anymore.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast