Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    The Pre's guts are well-utilized? The GPU sits dormant, memory leaks in the browser (and other apps) occasionally limit this "multitasking" OS to one or even NO cards ....
    mikah912, I think "memory leaks" is an incorrect characterization of the problem you are trying to describe here. It's simply that the browser does not limit the amount of memory that it allocates to image intensive pages. This is not a leak, the memory is being used for the intended application. (It's just allowing the browser to request so much memory that it's not there for other apps.) A memory leak is when an application requests memory but does not free the resource when it is done using it. (I don't see evidence of a real memory leak on the Pre, but if you do, please explain it here so we can make reproducible test cases that allow Palm to fix the problem.) -- thx
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Despite the high costs, Barnard was one of the lucky ones. Most apps take at least six months of full-time work and cost between $20,000 and $150,000 to develop, according to Forrester Research, which covers the tech industry.
    Just a little line from a Newsweek article about iPhone app development that gave me some hope that much better apps are around the corner and we are just seeing the rushed stuff right now.

iPhone App Store Developers Aren't Getting Rich | Newsweek Smart Business | Newsweek.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I think Jon Rubinstein should publicly denounce any augmented reality apps, ShopSaavy, and Shazam as pointless and not the type of apps Palm is interested in.

Should go over REAL well.
    I guess you couldn't really think of what these apps are good for

Jon should instead discuss what Palm is interested in. I don't think Palm has been clear, and obviously, trying to emulate Apple only invites the comparisons.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    The Pre needs low level GPU access and the entire UI rewritten to utilize an OpenGL wrapper or some sort. This has been my #1 complaint with this device since day 1, and it doesn't seem like anything will be done in the near future about it.

It's a shame when the My Tether app gets more mileage than the actual apps in Palm's App Catalog, only because I tether the Pre to my iPod touch for the applications and games. Heck, I even like their e-mail client and web browser better, and it's just wrapped in silky smooth transition... something that the Pre can't do, or won't ever do. I don't have an iPhone because I simply refuse to pay $100 /month for shoddy NYC AT&T service.

Palm needs to give devs more low-level access and rewrite webOS to make it smoother and more accurate, nothing P___es me off more than a tap not registering or lagging. Please don't play the "oh the Pre is a multitasking environment" card, as it's slow as molasses even when I have NO cards open.

Am I wrong, or am I right? *shrug*
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    mikah912, I think "memory leaks" is an incorrect characterization of the problem you are trying to describe here. It's simply that the browser does not limit the amount of memory that it allocates to image intensive pages. This is not a leak, the memory is being used for the intended application. (It's just allowing the browser to request so much memory that it's not there for other apps.) A memory leak is when an application requests memory but does not free the resource when it is done using it. (I don't see evidence of a real memory leak on the Pre, but if you do, please explain it here so we can make reproducible test cases that allow Palm to fix the problem.) -- thx
    Semantics hardly change the problem. Memory isn't being efficiently managed. Period. If a multitasking OS is unable to run more than one card at a time at a given time, something is wrong.

Even moreso if this occurs with NO cards open.
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    I guess you couldn't really think of what these apps are good for

Jon should instead discuss what Palm is interested in. I don't think Palm has been clear, and obviously, trying to emulate Apple only invites the comparisons.
    No need to espouse the virtues of those apps. If the sum total of your criticism is "Well, I didn't like it personally...", that says it all.

Rubinstein kinda just needs to announce...anything regarding apps and the SDK. Having lower level employees continue to beg patience because there are sooooo many apps they have to deal with is one thing. But when you see apps trickle out with no big names and a lot of homebrew apps filling up the app store...well, that doesn't seem to match the Palm PRPRPR $line$.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12