Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Sprint just announced another android phone hitting the streets in Nov this year. Out the gate the Samsung has slide out keyboard, video recording and expandable 32GB hard drive. I just don't see how the pre can compete. I was worried that sprint would release an android phone with keyboard. It came sooner than expected. Since I'm already using google mail, maps, doc, and most importantly calendar I might have to make the switch. Especially considering I would have to buy a new music/vid app, calendar, docs2go, and syncing app that will be over 100 bucks anyway.
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    oh well,
    The only good thing I see in Samsung is the 800MHz processor.

I am not sure how it translates in to UI speed.
    It could still be slow.
    And what about swipe and cards ?

Pre is still better IMO.
    I wish PALM come up with a horizontal slider with SD slot
    or
    add SD card slot to Pixe plus increase the screen size.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    oh well,
    The only good thing I see in Samsung is the 800MHz processor.

I am not sure how it translates in to UI speed.
    It could still be slow.
    And what about swipe and cards ?

Pre is still better IMO.
    I wish PALM come up with a horizontal slider with SD slot
    or
    add SD card slot to Pixe plus increase the screen size.
    Yep, for sure. After multi-tasking, it's just not feasible to go backwards. Memory size is nice on the Samsung but that's not enough for me to switch (i knew size limitation on the Pre from day one and I'm still fine with it). UI still looks clunky on the android device. Not sure about performance for the 800mhz.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Yep, for sure. After multi-tasking, it's just not feasible to go backwards. Memory size is nice on the Samsung but that's not enough for me to switch (i knew size limitation on the Pre from day one and I'm still fine with it). UI still looks clunky on the android device. Not sure about performance for the 800mhz.
    Android multitasks just fine, don't for one instant think it's just a Pre feature.

The Moment looks like a good phone on paper, but I'll wait to reserve judgement until I can see it working. 800mhz doesn't mean much unless it's using a similar architecture to the Pre/iPhone 3Gs, IMO.
  6.    #6  
    most of the time I close my cards or use one at a time anyways. My biggest issue is possibly paying for necessary apps on the pre which could total upwards of $100. I'm holding out for the pre but I need a better calendar/task/memo app and docs2go. Hopefully docs is available for free sometime next month. I really feel Palm missed a good opportunity.
    After using the Sprint version of the HTC Hero for the last few weeks, In my opinion, I think Palm is in big trouble (and I originally hated all things android). Unless you absolutely love the card view, there is really nothing you cant do better on the Android device. I think Palm will be relegated to 4th or 5th place in the smart phone world.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Not a battle at all. That Moment is ugly as sin. Also so far, people aren't liking the keyboard (to be fair though, the Pre keyboard is hit and miss too). If I didn't have my Pre, I'd take the Hero.

The one thing keeping me from being interested in all the Android phones coming out is gestures. The only physical buttons I ever use on the phone is the keyboard. Using my friends iPhones and Blackberries, its just feels so foreign to me to not be able to swipe around. I don't know that I could switch until other phones adopt it more.
    it's biggest downfall in my book is that its just stock android os, while its good, compared to htc's job on the hero it doesn't really compete
    This signature for rent
    Quote Originally Posted by gage006 View Post
    Not a battle at all. That Moment is ugly as sin. Also so far, people aren't liking the keyboard (to be fair though, the Pre keyboard is hit and miss too). If I didn't have my Pre, I'd take the Hero.

The one thing keeping me from being interested in all the Android phones coming out is gestures. The only physical buttons I ever use on the phone is the keyboard. Using my friends iPhones and Blackberries, its just feels so foreign to me to not be able to swipe around. I don't know that I could switch until other phones adopt it more.

100% agree. That phone is not even on the same level. The hero, maybe. But that thing, I'll pass
    I actually like typing on the horizontal keyboard of the Hero, better than the horizontal keyboard of the iPhone. The smaller screen makes the buttons closer together.

The Moment has an AMOLED screen which looks really nice.
    I heard Android support for Exchange is not fully functional. I heard it will sync inbox but not contacts, tasks and calendar. Does anyone know if this is true or not? If it is true, then I couldn't even consider an Android phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyg417 View Post
    I heard Android support for Exchange is not fully functional. I heard it will sync inbox but not contacts, tasks and calendar. Does anyone know if this is true or not? If it is true, then I couldn't even consider an Android phone.
    I have my loaner Hero syncing to Exchange for email, contacts, and calendar right now. I actually have been using Remember The Milk for Tasks.
    In case you haven't seen it, the reviews for the Samsung Moment are in - it's solidly mediocre. And from what I understand about Samsung's history of support for its phones, it won't ever get any better... so this one is not even an option for me.

On another note, I spent about an hour yesterday at the Sprint store playing with both the Pre and the Hero. I will admit, the Hero felt more sturdy - felt more durable than the Pre. However, Android just felt sluggish compared to the Pre. The Pre felt a hundred times more responsive, the screen was much more brilliant, the camera worked better in my opinion, and everything just seemed more intuitive. The only thing that the Hero has on the pre is that it does have an expandable memory card slot (which I really think Palm missed the ball with) and the massive Android library... but it just didn't run as well as the Pre. I haven't decided which one I'm going to get just yet, but I am leaning towards the Pre - especially since I don't know how well HTC will actually support the phone. Palm, with its multiple updates has proven that it stands behind its product - there is no news whether even Android 2.0 will ever be able to run on the HTC...
    Samsung Moment isn't much of a competitor from previews. Now the Motorola Droid on Verizon looks like the ultimate Android phone, although you would be paying $30+ more for a similar plan (albeit with better coverage).

Hopefully the November Pre update will bring some much needed refinements to the built-in apps and Flash beta. I would also like Docs to Go to come out so I can get Powerpoint support on my phone ;p. Well at least we count on the fantastic homebrew scene to fix things Palm hasn't gotten around to...
    Moved to cross-platform chat. Please remember to only post comparison threads in this forum.

Now my two cents... Samsung Moment only uses the basic Google UI without any frills or changes. Boring. Fast processor does not equal a good/great phone.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I've used both. Palm Pre for about a week and the Moment a week. Here is what I've observed...

Palm Pre (during 1 week)
    Advantages: Its software platform ran great. I could listen to Pandora while using Sprint Navigation (in the Malibu / Santa Monica area) at the same time and had no problems. This was very impressive. The multi-tasking is great. Another plus: this phone has a special screen, when the sun shines on the screen, you can still see it brilliantly (does some sort of rainbow of reflection). It's a fantastic feature I've never seen before. This phone also is 4G ready which is an advantage (several representatives have told me this same info) .
    Disadvantage: The phone seemed to get pretty warm while using it and while charging. At the time (July 2009) there were few apps available. I've heard there are many more available now. The camera worked but had no video camera. The phone did freeze up once as I was unlocking it to answer a call (and required tech assisted battery removal). Phone feels fragile, keyboard is small, top-heavy when you slide the keyboard out, no sd card slot. Don't even bother using Pandora if it's not plugged in unless you want to drain the battery life fast. No SD card slot, but if 8 gigs is enough you'll be fine.

Moment:
    Advantages: It's a good phone overall. There are a lot of little features on this phone that were well thought out (texting which suggests properly spelled words & automatically corrects, a dictionary you can edit, etc). The optical pad is great though I rarely use it. I prefer it over Sprints small trackballs on their other phones. So far the internet works great. Being able to connect to wifi with the phone is cool. You can access your email accounts via internet or software on the phone. The barcode scanner on this phone is a brilliant idea. You can use it for comparing products on the web as well as for other applications (calorie counter app). Tons of free apps, games, & so forth & open development.
    Disadvantages: I love Pandora, but it is horrible on this phone!!! Most people with the Moment are having the same issue. The phone can't handle Pandora running alone, let alone multi-task with it. Pandora skips, gets stuck in repeating, and will suddenly be unable to connect. Other users have also said this phone has the same problem with playing music, whether streamed or not. Also, there are a few pieces of bloatware on the phone, no big deal, right? Except they start running/idling in the background occasionally without being initiated by me. I kill them with a free app killer and they occasionally randomly (?) turn back on. What's worse is you cannot remove them (without hacking into the phone). Also, some software is a bit buggy and handling a phone call when you need to hit a key to access a menu is tricky and I find I accidentally hang up or do something unintended. Maybe I'll get used to it in time. When I'm on a phone call and using a computerized menu (where I have to press a key to go to a menu option), the phone constantly goes into this keygaurd state & says 'tap twice to unlock', so I'm doing that to unlock the phone so I can press '2' to continue...that's annoying.

Between both phones, many other features are similar (though they look a bit different). The messaging and sms on both is similarly great. I have the impression that wireless reception might be better on the Palm Pre, but I am not sure. I base this on the almost flawless streaming of Pandora while using Navigation and then even getting a phone call and it being able to handle all 3 tasks was great. Messaging was also idle in the background and prompted while in Pandora...awesome. Buggy issues almost never happened in the week I had the phone.

I liked the way the Moment feels in my hand more than the Pre. The moment feels much sturdier, fits in my hand better, and I don't feel like it's going to slip out. The Pre is a bit like a bar of soap and feels a bit fragile and slightly flimsy. Many, including reviewers, have mentioned that this phone has excellent software but the hardware quality is awful. Additionally, I do not like the keyboard sliding down on the Pre. The keyboard is too small and doesn't give very good leverage for holding the phone and typing (top heavy). Many have complained about how fragile this phone is and that it has some bad screen issues.

I am currently on the fence about either keeping the Samsung Moment, or switching to the BB Tour, or the Palm Treo Pro. I'd pick up the HTC Touch Pro 2 if it weren't so damned expensive. Hopefully they'll come out with fixes and mods for the Moment to improve it. It needs some tweaking...but I'm probably willing to put up with it for all that it's capable of.

Additional info: At the time I got the Pre is was June/July 2009. I got the Moment November 2009. I am completely unaware how the app stores compare at this point. Feedback on this would be appreciated!

Any other info you can get readily on phonescoop, but the above I think will be useful as I don't see it on comparison sites.

Please feel free to comment and correct me on any points I missed (or left out). We'll see how these phones hold up in the long run.
    Last edited by chrisgianti; 11/26/2009 at 06:08 PM. Reason: more info
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    The Pre is NOT 4G ready...
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgianti View Post
    Phone feels fragile, keyboard is small, top-heavy when you slide the keyboard out, no sd card slot, no wi-fi.
    Pre does have WiFi...
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgianti View Post
    I've used both. Palm Pre for about a week and the Moment for 4 days. Here is what I've observed...

<snip>
    I've been debating between these 2 also so thanks for a helpful post.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast