Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Big Palm fan boy here....Treo 680 owner...Tungsten T, Palm IIIx back in the day...

so naturally am awaiting the Pre here downunder in Australia...while my 680 still coughs and splutters along....

however today I had my first real good play with an iPhone 3GS..and I have to say...that is some piece of impressive kit!! While I've seen the theory on you tube, to use it in person was something else...

The swipes and the browser, the depth of apps, the overall look and feel of the GUI really is amazing...I can see why general Joe consumer has gone in hook line and sinker for it...

made my Treo 680 look like a relic from another era....

So it got me thinking....as someone who has also never seen a Pre in the flesh....does the Palm Pre really stack up against this thing??? Is it really just as impressive? I've read the reviews...but a first hand play of this iPhone has me wondering whether we on PreCentral are all just victims of glassy eyed one eyed Palm love!!

Please tell me it aint so! Is the Pre really...and I am mean really, as cool as the iPhone 3GS??
    To me, the Pre is the perfect balance of polish with customization. In my opinion, it's just as impressive as the iPhone, has the advantage of a physical keyboard, and has almost doubled in value due to the homebrew/patch community. Granted, the depth of apps of the Pre needs to catch up with the iPhone, but Palm developer relations is really taking some impressive steps on rapidly and positively expanding the library.

It's definitely as cool. You will be wow-ed.
    Quote Originally Posted by draven76 View Post
    To me, the Pre is the perfect balance of polish with customization. In my opinion, it's just as impressive as the iPhone, has the advantage of a physical keyboard, and has almost doubled in value due to the homebrew/patch community. Granted, the depth of apps of the Pre needs to catch up with the iPhone, but Palm developer relations is really taking some impressive steps on rapidly and positively expanding the library.

It's definitely as cool. You will be wow-ed.
    Well Said! I couldn't agree more!!!

Chris S
    We have 6 people in our house, 4 with a Pre and 2 with an iPhone 3G. Nobody is particularly jealous, and no one with a Pre is disappointed. The iPhones have the advantage with apps, especially games, but the Pre's app list is coming around and the hardware keyboard kicks ****. The service plans on Sprint are so much better than with ATT here in the states too. And if you are technical and want to hack, the Pre and Palm are incredibly friendly.

I personally would not switch to an iPhone even if the cost (phone+service) were identical.
    I have used both quite a bit. I still think the build quality of the iphone is better and the OS has had many more years to develop. That said, the Pre is a awesome device, and I think you will be pleasantly surprised once you get one in your hands!
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I have nothing against the iPhone, and no offense to anybody who likes it, but you could not PAY me to own an iPhone. After enjoying true multitasking on the Pre, going to any other phone would feel like a huge step back into the dark ages....
    It depends on what is "cool" for you. The Pre has the most polished look of any OS currently, has an awesome quality display (even compared to iPhone 3GS. It's just smaller), and has Synergy functionality included that iPhone users have to pay for MobileMe to get (although they get a bit more for the $99 a year, but still).

iPhone 3GS has apps and speed. Unlike the Pre, it's fully integrated its hardware and software, so you will never find the lag Pre phones can sometimes display. It boots up way faster, and has app functionality (e.g. compass apps with augmented reality, Shazam, name brand 3D games) that Pre will never have. And it also has iTunes for easy included sync that Apple controls (unlike Palm).

So it's just a question of which of those things are cooler to you as far as smartphones go. Despite my many problems with the Pre, I still think it's better - for ME - than an iPhone 3GS. I may check out...other devices currently impending on Sprint, tho.
    I have both phones right now. I have an iPhone 3G, and a Palm Pre (in the US). I got sick of paying for AT&T's overblown service fees, and decided to try the Pre. I have my impressions up on another thread, but here's a short opinion for you.

The phones are very different. Personally, I prefer the Pre. The App store is very immature, but will likely start growing in leaps and bounds in the next few days and weeks. The apps that are present are pretty good, and honestly, I only use about six iPhone apps on a regular basis.

The iPhone lacks true push, and cannot multi-task at all. The push implementation that has been implemented, as well as the alerts, are very obtrusive. The Pre's notification system is very elegant, and you can ignore it if you want to. You don't have to stop everything you're doing. The card view is also a god-send to me.

Now, the one thing. The battery on the iPhone can last a little bit longer, sometimes. It all depends on how many apps you have running in the background on the Pre.

I really enjoy Synergy, as well. I have my personal calendar from Google, Facebook Events, and I sync my work calendar to another Google account. All who up on the Pre's calendar.

Overall, I prefer the Pre. The iPhone is probably a better fit if you're going to be leaning heavily on playing media from iTunes.

Just my two cents.
    its a Pre no its an Iphone its best of both worlds

--Marvin
    Seems to me that the profile of a Pre fan is:
    1. Someone who hates all things Apple.
    2. Someone who is stuck with Sprint.

The Pre should have never been compared with an iPhone. They are not the same class of device. The Pre is a fine choice on its own merits. For example, you may look pretty good, but compared to Brad Pitt... why would you ever make that comparison?

The iPhone continues to draw new customers to AT&T. That means that even people who are stuck in other contracts and who do not necessarily like AT&T still go there for the iPhone. Sprint, on the other hand, is still bleeding customers, just not quite as fast as they were. There is no evidence that the public is leaping over hurdles to get a Pre.

There is also the matter of software. The iPhone comes with more useful software out of the box than most phones ever get. People use data services more heavily on the iPhone than any other phone past or present. That is because the experience of using such services is second to none on the iPhone. More things are more accessible. Speaking of accessibility, Apple has included a built-in screen reader for the visually impaired. The phone is fully accessible for people with disabilities. No one else is even thinking about this stuff. Apple is implementing it at no extra cost.

Dare I mention sync? Palm's best answer to Apple's world-beating solution is to pretend that it is an Apple product. In no way is the Pre in the same league as the iPhone 3GS. Even Sprint does not try to make a quality comparison. Sprint's response to the iPhone is that the Pre is cheaper to use. File it in the category of "You get what you pay for."

It is possible that you do not meet the above two conditions and still prefer the Pre. If so, you would be in the extreme minority. Buy a Pre for what it is. But don't try to convince yourself that it is "better" than an iPhone 3GS. That is a loosing proposition.
    well ihpone is fine but the pre has and seem to have more potential. my brother has an iphone and he is just totally jealous of the pre he loves the mulittasking the display is brillant youtube looks just amazing better then on ur pc i can garantie that. and u actually can use itunes on the pre i use it often only thing is that apple always blocks it after a wile and palm has to unblock it what gives u a week or so a non use of itunes what kinda bites. what speaks for the iphone is thwe bigger memory the somewhat better batterie life but besides that the pre is just the better phone. and the touch screen is slightly better on the pre as well. so and the touch stone charger is just something u didnt see before how to charge a phone but it just ridiculous exspensive but pretty cool.
    Every new phone coming out is always compared to the iPhone. Even commercials and what not are doing their own version of "there's an app for that" type of commercials. Again, pointing towards the iPhone being at the top.
    I had the iPhone for 2 years and miss it dearly. I had to switch because of pricing plans in which Sprint was the best, so I got the Pre cause it was the most like the iPhone. Wish they could combine the both and make a super sweet phone. :-)
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    The pre is better than an iPhone

The pre isn't as good as an iPhone

In different areas and for different people then both have their advantages so comparisons will always give different results. So the real deciding factor for most is the carrier. Sprint is better than ATT In all catagories.

That said, I like my pre but when Im typing from my Disabled iPhone right now because I can.
    Remember, the person asking the question is in Australia, so Sprint isn't an issue for this person.

Like I said in my other post, it depends on your preference and how you'll use the phone. Coming from a Treo, I think you would probably adjust better to the Pre. Plus, with Classic, you can use your old Palm apps.

Personally, I don't miss any apps on my iPhone. Facebook, maybe, but that's coming.
    well dandbj13

i know iphone user a proud of there phone but already the att network is proven just not as fast and doesnt has so much coverage just read the test from this year 3g network caverage and speed results it sprint then verizon then att its just like that sprint has the fastes 3g network period. since the last couple year and oh i forgot 4G hmm. anyway we dont talk about the network here we talk about the phone the multitaskin is just something the pre beats the ihpone as well in screen resolution and email i can receive and email with 20 pictures attached if i want to well the iphone does maybe 3 in one email lame. no multitasing lame. ya IPHONE DOES HAS MORE APPS BUT IT IS THE 3RD GENERATION OF IPHONE I REMEMBER WHEN IT FIRST CAME OUT IT HAT LESS THEN PALM PRE HAS NOW SO NO ARGUE POINT THERE EITHER AND THE 3RD GENERATION DEVICE STILL SAME LOOK ONLY SLIGHTLY CHANGES AND STILL NOT FULLY EQUICK COME ON. FINALLY NOW A 3 MEGAPIXEL CAMERA AND VIEDO RECORDING WHEN U GOT THIS ON PALM PRE IN FIRST GENERATION HMM. NO REMOVABLE BATTERIE ON IPHONE HMMM should i continue??
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    I disagree with dandbj13. The Pre is definitely a better choice for many, many people--the majority of whom are absolutely not either stuck with Sprint or hate the iPhone.

Whether or not it is better for you is up to you. There are definitely differences, and it depends what matters most to you. As peeps point out here and elsewhere here's basically what you have to decide:

1. Are iPhone strengths (apps, multimedia capabilities, speed, battery) or Pre strengths (Synergy, multi-tasking, customization, hard keyboard, notifications) more valuable to you?

2. Does one form factor appeal more to you?

3. Does service provider difference matter?

I was where you are in July. Was out of contract and could have chosen either--actually thought I was going to get an iPhone 3GS until I looked into it more. I chose the Pre because it fit better with what I want in a phone, and I am totally happy with my choice.

That said, both are great phones, and I'm sure you will have fun with either one!
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Seems to me that the profile of a Pre fan is:
    1. Someone who hates all things Apple.
    2. Someone who is stuck with Sprint.
    Or, someone who:

1) Likes multitasking all apps and likes non-obtrusive notifications
    2) Doesn't think they should have to pay $100 a year for OTA contact and app backups
    3) Isn't stuck with Sprint but actually prefers their value add-laden plans and cheaper rates
    ...I could get up to 15-16 on legit reasons here, so let's move on...

The Pre should have never been compared with an iPhone. They are not the same class of device. The Pre is a fine choice on its own merits. For example, you may look pretty good, but compared to Brad Pitt... why would you ever make that comparison?
    If by same class, you mean what they're designed for...then, no, the PrPrPr $and$ $iPhone$ $are$ $not$ $in$ $the$ $same$ $class$. $The$ $iPhone$ $is$ $an$ $entertainment$ $device$ $that$ $doubles$ $as$ $a$ $phone$. $The$ $Pre$ $is$ $ostensibly$ $a$ $productivity$ $device$ $with$ $entertainment$ $functionality$.

The iPhone continues to draw new customers to AT&T. That means that even people who are stuck in other contracts and who do not necessarily like AT&T still go there for the iPhone. Sprint, on the other hand, is still bleeding customers, just not quite as fast as they were. There is no evidence that the public is leaping over hurdles to get a Pre.
    And Motorola sold 50+ million RAZRs. Is it a better device than the iPhone because more people bought it? The highest grossing movie of the year is Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. Is it the best? Is it even in anyone's top 20?

There is also the matter of software. The iPhone comes with more useful software out of the box than most phones ever get. People use data services more heavily on the iPhone than any other phone past or present. That is because the experience of using such services is second to none on the iPhone. More things are more accessible. Speaking of accessibility, Apple has included a built-in screen reader for the visually impaired. The phone is fully accessible for people with disabilities. No one else is even thinking about this stuff. Apple is implementing it at no extra cost.
    Yes, you only have to pay extra for MobileMe, navigation, upgrades if you're an iPod Touch owner...you know, nothing important.

Dare I mention sync? Palm's best answer to Apple's world-beating solution is to pretend that it is an Apple product. In no way is the Pre in the same league as the iPhone 3GS. Even Sprint does not try to make a quality comparison. Sprint's response to the iPhone is that the Pre is cheaper to use. File it in the category of "You get what you pay for."
    Actually, Sprint sells the Pre for more than Apple sells the 8GB iPhone 3G even with a price drop, and I do believe that was the device it was positioned against. iPhone 3GS wasn't even announced until Pre was almost in stores. But objectively speaking, the iPhone 3GS has more capable hardware, more developed software, and a more expansive display. That is indisputably true.

It is possible that you do not meet the above two conditions and still prefer the Pre. If so, you would be in the extreme minority. Buy a Pre for what it is. But don't try to convince yourself that it is "better" than an iPhone 3GS. That is a loosing proposition.
    No need to convince oneself. If a device is better for you, then it simply is. For my wife, a flip phone beats pretty much everything.
    funny really a flip phone thats hilarious :-)
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wtgreen View Post
    We have 6 people in our house, 4 with a Pre and 2 with an iPhone 3G. Nobody is particularly jealous, and no one with a Pre is disappointed. The iPhones have the advantage with apps, especially games, but the Pre's app list is coming around and the hardware keyboard kicks ****. The service plans on Sprint are so much better than with ATT here in the states too. And if you are technical and want to hack, the Pre and Palm are incredibly friendly.

I personally would not switch to an iPhone even if the cost (phone+service) were identical.
    +1

IMHO the only thing that is missing is the capability to record video. Home Brew has really filled in the gap with tweaks, themes and apps! I can honestly say that after using the Pre.... using the gesture area has spoiled me; I could never use another phone again!

The Pre is a steam-roller working it's way up the hill and IMHO is remarkably close to the summit. Stand clear once it begins it's decent down the other side.
    and to the screen the pre screen got in test from magazine rated as the slightly better responsive better picture quality screen maybe it is cheaper but still a little bit better picture qulaity and we all can agree the iphone is the better build phone no doubt about that but also the iphone is showing its age even with 3gs now. its about time they come out with a total new iphone style and everything.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast