Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    I few more updates to certain things and I'd say it would be. It's definitely already ahead for the fact you can activate a pre for $70 vs and iPhone at a fail price of $99 with even ****tier reception.
    Price is a huge factor for many and you can't deny you get way more for your dollar with Sprint than AT&T. AND INSURANCE FOR THE PRE is what, $7, and you can't insure the iphone through AT&T?

But, I assume the OP is not using a US cell phone carrier so kind of a moot point.

I use the Facebook, Mint, LogMeIn, sarafi, ipod, email, Documents to Go, and several games on the iphone. I am a little frustrated that the facebook webpage on the Pre won't allow me to post comments, even though there is now a link to the comments that for the life of me, I can't get to work? Anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong?
    In my humble opinion, no. The Pre is no iphone. It has some really cool aspects as others have mentioned, but if it we're not for homebrews & patches/tweaks (as well as the rather substantial monthly rate difference) I unfortunately would have jumped ship a few months ago. I too am a HUGE palm fan and so, so, so wanted the Pre to be the one end-all, be-all perfect phone I thought it would be when it was first announced at CES, but alas... My confidence and patience is fading.

Here's what i love about the pre:

1. Size and form factor. It's perfect for me & hardly notice it in m pocket.
    2. Multitasking. It is a solid advantage over the iphone and simply love when i'm doing 6 things at once zipping back and fourth with the flick of a card.
    3. Monthly Plan prices. (substantial difference)
    4. I dig the touchstone. really is convenient.
    5. The "open source-ness" (for lack of a better term) I really enjoy digging in and tinkering with the OS. I've never been strong in Linux and learning to root & poking around in putty is fun for me.

What i dislike...

1. battery life! MAJOR drawback! I've never had an iphone but i cant imagine it could be any worse then the pre. With admittedly *somewhat* heavy use I burn thru 33% an hour. i'm sorry... having to have my WIRELESS phone constantly within range of a power source is just impractical for my line of work (tho using "roam only" when not requiring 3g has improved this.

2. Lack of a real calendar. I LOVED the calendar on all my Treo's & the pre's frankly sucks. I purchased Classic simply to utilize the Calendar, but that too is buggy & takes forever to load. (not to mention since 1.2.1 & 2.0 just loses data i input at random times.

3. Lack of cut & paste. Yea... the pre has it, but just barely. It's clunky to use & just plain doesn't work well. DEFINITELY a step backwards from the Treo's

4. Lack of a full working doc viewer/editor. Sure the Pre has Docs-to-go-hold-the-everything, but that too doesn't work well & forget about searching a doc or copying text from a doc to a memo or calendar event like i used to do on my Treo daily.

5. Responsiveness of the touchscreen & lag. The pre is *ok*... but not nearly as seamless and smothe as my ipod touch.

6. Lack of a TRUE universal search. On my Treo, I loved just searching a word & it listed EVERYTHING that word was in... calendar events, docs, memos... u name it.

at any rate, to answer your question, it really boils down to what your going to use it for (and how close you are to a power supply) the pre is *good* but if your looking for a direct replacement for a treo and the features that offered, again... in my opinion... your going to be disappointed. In a year or so when webos matures it may catch up to the iphone, but unfortunately it's not there yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by quang.luu View Post
    Well, I live in Sacramento, which (I think) has great Sprint coverage, so that doesn't explain it for me.
    there's different levels of "great coverage."
    if you're seeing drastically different results between the two, there's probably something going on...
    AnandTech

That's good for you. So besides being able to load that web page correctly, does it load them faster too? Just curious, because I've never been able to get the Pre to load a page faster than the iphone, if memory serves me right.
    the 3g and the pre load pages about the same speed. my buddy's 3gs is faster when we both have a good data connection.

Strangely, I close apps on my computer too. I open Quicken, update it, then close it. I surf the web, finish, then close it.
    weird. with the way you work, you could be on a old single tasking system (like dos!).

It's definitely not CRITICAL to my workday,
    very little is.

Funny you should mention the google voice app. I happen to have a couple google voice numbers, but haven't really implemented them much into my life. I do have gDial but haven't really gone full google voice. I'm a little OCD and somewhat impatient (hence the annoyance with the "lag" with the Pre--have you noticed it as well or does it not bother anyone but me?)
    i've noticed it. it doesn't bother me. 2 seconds here and there, now and then, ain't a big deal.

but don't you have to reverse the homebrew stuff before updating your phone?
    i never have.

I do check the apps catalog often but haven't found anything awe-inspiring that isn't done better on the iphone, google voice notwithstanding. Anyone care to point out the gems that I'm missing?
    it depends what you do- what's awe-inspiring to you on the iphone?
    it depends what you do- what's awe-inspiring to you on the iphone?[/QUOTE]

I like Facebook--Pre's facebook app/webpage card is making strides. I noticed that the comment system is actually working now, so I'm hoping there's minimal difference now. I'll use it for a few days and see.

Mint--love being able to open this app, get a snapshot of the finances.

LogMeIn--really nice app for getting on my home or work computer and messing around. Is there a similar app for the Pre? I'd love to try it out if you point me to it.

Email--still having frustrations opening certain attachments on the Pre, whether it's from my hotmail or gmail account. I think it's on Palm's side, because they open on the iphone 3gs. I'm hoping for an update soon that could fix this.

AT&T Nav--I think Sprint's Nav app is just as good on the Pre, so no winner here.

Calendar: the iphone calendar is really fast--switching from day to month view is near-instantaneous, whereas in the Pre there is a lag while it renders the page

youtube: great implementation on both

New York Times: The Pre's app is buggy for me. For instance, sometimes I press multiple times on the switcher bar at the top to bring up the list so I can switch to US or Politics or something, and the Pre will not respond. At all. Weird.

Google earth: is there an equivalent on the Pre? it's cool, but lower down on my list of cool apps to have.

And then the games I mess around with like Crystal Defenders, Fieldrunners, Need for Speed Underground, Monkey Island, Alive4ever. Really good graphics and pretty good implementation of touch controls. Nothing beats buttons for gaming, but as far as touchscreen games go, iphone's pretty good. I have serious doubts that the Pre can do games as well because of my concerns about the touchscreen lag and smaller real estate, but I'd love to be proven wrong.
    Another reason why getting Pre is preferable to getting iPhone in US:

With Sprint, you are eligible to buy a new phone at the same price as new customer after just a year. The program is called Sprint Premier and you are automatically enrolled when you buy Pre. Bing Sprint Premier for more information.

If you buy iPhone, you are stuck with the same phone for 2 years. Say you buy iPhone 3GS today. Apple will come out with two new versions (Summer 2010 & 2011) before you would be eligible to upgrade at discounted price. But with Sprint/Palm, you can get a new phone (pre 2 ?) next October. How cool is that ?

With cellphone technology changing so fast, I think it makes sense to buy Pre today and wait for a year to buy the next hot phone. If you disagree, refer to original iPhone owners who couldn't upgrade to iPhone 3G for one whole year.
    Quote Originally Posted by anotherhawkeye View Post
    Another reason why getting Pre is preferable to getting iPhone in US:

With Sprint, you are eligible to buy a new phone at the same price as new customer after just a year. The program is called Sprint Premier and you are automatically enrolled when you buy Pre. Bing Sprint Premier for more information.

If you buy iPhone, you are stuck with the same phone for 2 years. Say you buy iPhone 3GS today. Apple will come out with two new versions (Summer 2010 & 2011) before you would be eligible to upgrade at discounted price. But with Sprint/Palm, you can get a new phone (pre 2 ?) next October. How cool is that ?

With cellphone technology changing so fast, I think it makes sense to buy Pre today and wait for a year to buy the next hot phone. If you disagree, refer to original iPhone owners who couldn't upgrade to iPhone 3G for one whole year.
    Then again, I only had my iphone 3G for one year and was eligible for upgrade price when the 3GS came out. Sounds like that was one year to me.

What's also worthwhile is that the iphone keeps its value pretty well when its time to sell the old one.
    iphone sucks
    But unfortunately, we don't have Pre yet in Malaysia... Only iphone 3G and 3Gs....

Tried my friend's iphone 3G, and being a language student, language changing is great as you can change language anytime...

Heard that you can't sync and save/backup your memo to your pc, like what Handspring could... is it true?

A lot of curiosity but not sure where to ask....
    Not true. Notes sync to the mac and back again. I sync mine over MobileMe. When My wife makes a note on her Mac, I get it on my phone. When I make a note on my Phone, she gets it on her Mac. I can't say how things work on a Windows PC.
    I'm a previouse Iphone owner and I thought that I would never own another phone. until me and my wife went to the sprint store to look at the pre because she thought it was so cool. We played with them for a bit went home discovered pre central and home brew apps and brought two pre's the next very next day with the Iphone in hand. It's hard to compair the two because the Iphone has been out alot longer than the pre, When I heard the pre called the I phone killer I thought here we go agian but to me it is. pre hands down.
    The Pre was released in Beta as far as I am concerend.

I have spent the past few weeks trying to fully import my data. The google sync is weak and of limited capacity. Palm punted and defaulted to CompanionLink. For $49 you can buy a the ability, allegedly, for a USB sync. I don't know about anyone else but not all my data transfers. As of now CompanionLink is reviewing my logs to ferret out a solution. Oh and the vaunted Universal search will only search the Pre itself in a most limited fashion. Search by title or what you put in the notes catagory ... no dice the Pre is blind to the data. All this might have been understandable if the Treo's did not have the ability. It's one thingt have released without video taking capcity with the promises that it will come but no legit sync and search functions .....very very weak.

As a Palm device the Pre sucks, as a smart phone it has some decent features and multi-tasking on the internet is a breeze better then the iphone. Given enough time, Palm may update and add basic features. Until then the Pre in theory is better then the Pre as fact.
    It wasn't called a Pre for nothing. Beta would've worked as well.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Well since I started this thread it looks increasingly like Palm has pulled out of the Australian market...I can understand they want to focus all their efforts on their major markets...

but it is frustrating for us who have been loyal to Palm for many years...

Palm is now a European and US device...

so I guess the iPhone now really starts to loom as the sole contender...

I can still consider importing the Pre...but the thought of hacking the phone just to get it working...and no local warranty is not that enticing...

I work on a 3 year cycle with my phones...my 680 is beyond that now...

maybe I just go iPhone...and in 3 years Palm will be worth another look...or...I just keep the old 680 limping along!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavoz View Post
    but it is frustrating for us who have been loyal to Palm for many years...

Palm is now a European and US device...
    It definitely is frustrating... I've been using a Palm for almost 4 years now... And from the front page, I read something like they MAY NOT bring it in to Asia Pacific. Even if they do, sounds like they will wait longer... Extremely sad. Have been trying to get it online but still unable to find any reliable stores, if at all. Don't even know if it is really sim-free. Here in Malaysia, we use sim-cards.
    Palm PRE WOOOOO no but really Pre murders all, i dont think i would touch an iphone again, unless it was to play a game, only because palm hasnt release an sdk that takes advantage of the gpu, if they did we would have baddass games also... so anyways yeah multitasking, synergy , love it couldnt live without it, its almost like crack i guess idk though really never done crack so yep ........... PALM PRE BADASS
    Where can I buy a Pre? It doesn't matter if I have to go online... Any link?

Dear Palm,

Please bring it in to Asia...................................................
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456