Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I to looked at the Iphone before puilling the trigger on the Pre. I have been with Sprint for about 10 years and I am happy with the service. I like palm OS a little better than the Iphone OS. I do think that the Iphone is a better build quality over the Pre. My Pre, which I had from the launch date has the wobble from opening and closing it so much. I think both phones are great, I just did not want to spend an additional $80.00 a month for an Iphone.

Maybe we should ask:

If Sprint offered the Iphone, would you purchase an Iphone or a Pre?
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dante501 View Post
    we all know ihpone people barely admit that there is something better then there iphone they r just to proud to admit defeat ;-)
    Unlike Pre users who are always so rational...
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=OneDeep;1957054]its a Pre no its an Iphone its best of both worlds

[IMG]

did you change the top bar? If so it looks really good!
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    When I am listening to the iPod app while playing a third party game on the iPhone, and a call comes in, I am given the option to gracefully suspend the game while I talk...
    That must be the only case iPhoneOS let's you "gratefully" suspend anything, because without a call, if you want to just browse your apps, you have to reload entirely the game after doing it, and that's not exactly instantly...
    ... and the venerable PalmOS has the same behaviour on phone calls, and I think there aren't doubts that PalmOS doesn't multitasks...

And yes, I know the core apps on the iPhone multitasks, but only the core apps.
    me an ismug? funny
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Unless you care about games and tons of apps, the pre is better in almost every way.
    The way I look at it, graphically intensive games on such a small screen that isn't even VGA is really pointless. I don't mind puzzle games or word games or apps with functionality, but games really isn't all that important in the grand scheme of things when it comes to a good smartphone. Whats important to me is how easy is the phone to use, how good is it at productivity, and does it entertain me. Ease of use and intuitive interface are #1 important for me. form factor is also important. I want something I can fit in my pocket comfortably... that was something I did not like about my palm treo or itouch.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Thanks for all the great replies!

Certainly very informative and much appreciated....

the impression I get from all these posts is that the Pre really is as impressive as the iPhone in terms of 'wow' factor...and indeed has a future...

While both phones have no doubt got their advantages in various areas it sounds like the Pre certainly holds its own....

My 680 is of course still very functional...I can write up a daily journal, access an NIV Bible translation, carry out all the bread and butter PIM functions and sync to Palm Desktop...it aint always pretty..but it works!

But the speed/efficiency of web browsing and the great GUI of the iPhone I saw really blew my 680 back into the middle ages....(well the 90's at least anyway!)....

it sounds like the Pre does the same...

So....I've pretty much decided I'll wait for a Pre...and keep chugging along with the 680 for now....besides I've listened to too many Pre Central podcasts to shift to Apple now!

...potential of Web OS looks great, I like the keyboard and the enthusiastic Pre community and finally, there is just something about backing the underdog that appeals!

Now all we need in Australia is a mobile phone carrier that actually wants to sell us the phone!!
    Taking the carrier out of the equation I would still pick the pre. My main reasons are the far supior multitasking. I am never doing one thing at once, so the Pre fits me very well there. Second is the keyboard. I have to have a hardware keyboard. I have tried them all except the Storm and the iphone, but I did have an ipod touch which is essentially the same thing and just could't work well with any of them. As crappy as it may be, its better than nothing. Next is customization. Sprint left the door open people to release and install their own programs without threats of future updates aimed at bricking the phone. Lastly, Flash. We should have flash by the begging of next year. Steve Jobs himself said the iphone will not be getting flash because it is not what consumers want. BS flash will make media available for free that he would rather sell in the itunes store. What I like about the iphone, the hardware is second to none, both visually and hardware wise. And then, yes, all those apps.

The iphone just doesn't have the multi-tasking abilities I need. I have my own reasons why the iphone sells so well, other than the fact that it is a very nice phone. The fact that it is an apple product. Most people can't afford a $2500 macbook, but a $200 phone isn't back. When you the first get all the ooossss and aaaaaasssss. It gets to the point you don't want to be in your circle of friends that doesn't have one. both of those are only a small percentage of my reasoning. Apple hardware that takes difficult functions and makes it very easy to use. Consumers have had phones four that can do what an phone can do but was just more difficult than the average user wanted t deal with. So what Apple did is remove that difficulty. Pluss that have the apple name. Make the predict with some nice marking and they will sell like hot cakes. The first version sold out at $800 a bop, for a phone!

My new Apple Iphone marketing plan: Smart phone for stupid people.
    Last edited by boomhower; 10/08/2009 at 07:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavoz View Post
    Thanks for all the great replies!

Certainly very informative and much appreciated....

the impression I get from all these posts is that the Pre really is as impressive as the iPhone in terms of 'wow' factor...and indeed has a future...

While both phones have no doubt got their advantages in various areas it sounds like the Pre certainly holds its own....

My 680 is of course still very functional...I can write up a daily journal, access an NIV Bible translation, carry out all the bread and butter PIM functions and sync to Palm Desktop...it aint always pretty..but it works!

But the speed/efficiency of web browsing and the great GUI of the iPhone I saw really blew my 680 back into the middle ages....(well the 90's at least anyway!)....

So....I've pretty much decided I'll wait for a Pre...and keep chugging along with the 680 for now....besides I've listened to too many Pre Central podcasts to shift to Apple now!

...potential of Web OS looks great, I like the keyboard and the enthusiastic Pre community and finally, there is just something about backing the underdog that appeals!

Now all we need in Australia is a mobile phone carrier that actually wants to sell us the phone!!
    Every smartphone in the market can make you feel your smartphone is outdated because, basically, is outdated. A good device, but outdated.

new devices will bring you an important WOW factor, just iPhone and Pre have a bigger value.

(altought I feel the iPhone time is about to end, not talking about sales, but Apple needs to reinvent the wheel again on next devices)
    pre has potential but palm is not acting on it, not sure if they are more focused on future phones or what? but the pre only makes for embarrassment if you pull it out on a 3gs, absolutely no competition.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    There is also the matter of software. The iPhone comes with more useful software out of the box than most phones ever get. People use data services more heavily on the iPhone than any other phone past or present.
    i've often wondered about this, and if the comparisons take into account that not all other smart phones REQUIRE a unlimited data plan... since the pre does, i'd bet it has high data usage as well...

More things are more accessible. Speaking of accessibility, Apple has included a built-in screen reader for the visually impaired. The phone is fully accessible for people with disabilities. No one else is even thinking about this stuff. Apple is implementing it at no extra cost.
    a touch screen phone w/ no tactile feedback might be the dumbest choice ever for the vision impaired.

It is possible that you do not meet the above two conditions and still prefer the Pre. If so, you would be in the extreme minority. Buy a Pre for what it is. But don't try to convince yourself that it is "better" than an iPhone 3GS. That is a loosing proposition.
    i compared an iphone and a pre and got the pre. and not just a little bogus comparison- i had switched to at&t and tried out the iphone for a month. it is better *for me.* they both have strengths and weaknesses.

my reasons for chosing the pre were as follows, but of course ymmv.

- i like the form factor better. the iphone is too tall. not as comfortable in jeans and such. and i like the keyboard.

- multitasking apps is neat-o. it sucks that apple restricts background applications to only their own apps. they realize that i might want to listen to music while doing something else, so allows their music app to work in the background. but you know, maybe i want to listen to shoutcast instead of something in my library, eh?

- sprint plans are way cheaper. i'm on the baseline 450 minute + data plan, which has the same base price of $70 as at&t. i would occasionally run over 450 on my old plans(i was on att before verizon before brief att iphone stint before sprint. ), but with sprint's earlier nights and unlimited mobile to mobile to any carrier, i could probably be fine with 150 minutes. AND that includes unlimited messaging, which is $20/month extra on att (and verizon). also navigation services (which i don't use much, but hey) which is $10/month on att. so that's $20/month i'm saving on my plan. $240 a year buys a nice toy.

- the pre is a more open platform. for all the talk about the iphone app store having so many apps, i don't need no stinkin' apple nanny deciding what app i should and shouldn't be able to install. i'm not missing any killer apps from the iphone compared to the pre (and i already have a google voice app on my pre ) , and palm is supportive of the homebrew community, unlike apple who *claims* your warranty is invalid if you jailbreak your phone.

- tied to the above, flash is coming to the pre, but not the iphone. this is the one thing i miss about the browser on my windows mobile phone (and that was just flash lite).

and i have a macbook and an ipod, so i obviously don't hate apple. i also just switched to sprint for the pre, so obviously aren't stuck with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavoz View Post

they both have very nice gui's and very good web browsing. the browsers are both based on webkit, so render content very similarly, but not identically. the iphone passes the acid tests, whereas the pre fails miserably. to some, this means the iphone has a better browser- for me, it's more nuanced... the pre's browsers works on several sites for me that the iphone's doesn't (like cbs sports fantasy football live scoring page), but i've not encountered the opposite case (except for the acid test pages), so that makes the pre's browser better (in the real world) for me.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
    i've often wondered about this, and if the comparisons take into account that not all other smart phones REQUIRE a unlimited data plan... since the pre does, i'd bet it has high data usage as well...

- tied to the above, flash is coming to the pre, but not the iphone. this is the one thing i miss about the browser on my windows mobile phone (and that was just flash lite).
    This was a very well balanced post, thanks. But note:

Adobe Opens iPhone to Flash Developers

Unbeknownst to us, there were already Flash apps in the iTunes store. Unfortunately, they look like garbage for the most part, which is what I expect of many Flash games. Will be interesting to see if a truly good Flash game comes out for the iPhone or Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by srfcrzy View Post
    I disagree with dandbj13. The Pre is definitely a better choice for many, many people--the majority of whom are absolutely not either stuck with Sprint or hate the iPhone.

Whether or not it is better for you is up to you. There are definitely differences, and it depends what matters most to you. As peeps point out here and elsewhere here's basically what you have to decide:

1. Are iPhone strengths (apps, multimedia capabilities, speed, battery) or Pre strengths (Synergy, multi-tasking, customization, hard keyboard, notifications) more valuable to you?

2. Does one form factor appeal more to you?

3. Does service provider difference matter?

I was where you are in July. Was out of contract and could have chosen either--actually thought I was going to get an iPhone 3GS until I looked into it more. I chose the Pre because it fit better with what I want in a phone, and I am totally happy with my choice.

That said, both are great phones, and I'm sure you will have fun with either one!
    How does the iPhone have better multimedia capabilities? I have had one and I HATED having to sync with itunes. I MUCH prefer just the drag and drop when I can see all my folders. And speed? You're kidding me right? The 3GS isnt faster. Not to mention the Pre is STILL faster than the 3G with 10 apps open. The ONLY thing I can see the iPhone beating Pre in is battery life (But you CAN BUY a better battery) which kinda nulls that point. AND the apps. Thats IT. I was paying 105$ a month for my iphone for 450 minutes and no unlimited calling to any mobile. With sprint I am paying 60$ for 450 minutes with unlimited calling to ANY mobile. Sorry but just give webOS a year and iPhone wont be a match unless they come out with something spectacular.
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    This was a very well balanced post, thanks. But note:

Adobe Opens iPhone to Flash Developers

Unbeknownst to us, there were already Flash apps in the iTunes store. Unfortunately, they look like garbage for the most part, which is what I expect of many Flash games. Will be interesting to see if a truly good Flash game comes out for the iPhone or Pre.
    those are not really "flash apps". it uses the flash development environment to create native apps. this is basically enabling a different programming language to create native iphone apps. calling it a "flash app" makes as much sense as calling other compiled programs "c++ apps", "objective-c apps", etc.- it's largely irrelevant.

Adobe Labs - Adobe Flash Professional CS5: Applications for iPhone
    Are applications for iPhone built with Flash Platform tools interpreted at runtime?
    No. iPhone applications built with Flash Platform tools are compiled into standard, native iPhone executables, just like any other iPhone application.
    Can applications load SWF files or other code at runtime, such as a module from a website?
    No. iPhone applications built with Flash Platform tools are compiled into standard, native iPhone executable packages and there is no runtime interpreter that could be used to run ActionScript bytecode within the application.
    I own both and have used both extensively. Bottom line: the iPhone is my go-to phone, and the Pre is a backup for when I get bored.

Random thoughts:
    the Pre battery life SUCKS. Sure, you can carry a removable battery, but how many people really do that? In my real-world experience, USING MOSTLY THE IPHONE for web-surfing, the pre often still has less battery life mid-day. SUCKS. And although the touchstone charger is awesome, I had to buy two--one for home and one for the office because invariably the phone is out of juice by mid-afternoon.

I like the form factor of the Pre, BUT it comes at the cost of having a smaller screen for surfing the web. IMO, there is no better mobile web browser than the iphone's safari web browser. Yes, I have geekily tried loading identical websites on both phone by pressing return on the iphone and return on the pre simultaneously and the iphone always (almost always?) loads the page faster.

The card implementation is fantastic on the pre . . . but I can't think of a single instance when I've thought to myself, "God, I'm so glad I have multitasking because this Pre has saved the day!" The most multitasking I'll do is listening to my ipod function on the iphone and using another app. I actually like keeping all cards closed on the Pre . . . I don't know, I am somewhat OCD and don't like having things "open" ha ha.

The lag on the Pre while swiping the screen bugs the crap out of me. On the iphone, your finger and the screen are married, and rapid touches and swipes feel like butter! the screen is so responsive. On the Pre, fast swipes often "lag." I don't know how to explain it, maybe someone with both phones as well can chime in and respond to this.

The lag on opening apps is annoying too. If I want to open another app that is not already open, it takes several seconds. Compared to the iphone, it's an eternity. And like I said, I usually don't keep several cards open because I like to see the pretty wallpaper instead of an open app.

Even with everything else being equal, you HAVE to give the APPS nod to the iphone. The Pre has nothing really great. I routinely use LogMeIn on the iphone, which works flawlessly. And to those people who say they don't want a gaming device too, good for you. I like the ability to play good games on the iphone. Nothing the Pre has comes close to the quality of the top-rated games on the iphone.

As a business device, I find the iphone to be snappier and more reliable. One weird bug on the Pre is that sometimes attachments in my email are there for me to download and open, and sometimes they're not! In fact, sometimes, when I first open an email, I see the section where the attachment is for me to press for download, and then I swear 10 seconds later it's gone! This has happened several times, with different attachments, including a PDF, JPG, and DOC attachment. Never, ever had problem opening attachments on the ihpone. Also, I can't open pdf attachments from my gmail opened using the web on the Pre--I get a weird message saying the file player cannot be opened or something like that. Frustrating. I've set up Mobile Me (yes, I paid the 99 dollars) to sync my outlook contacts and calendar with the iphone, so my assistant just enters something into her computer on outlook and it shows up on my phone. I THINK I set up gmail correctly to have push gmail on the iphone (via microsoft exchange), so there's no real advantage to the Pre's push gmail either.
    I own both and have used both extensively. Bottom line: the iPhone is my go-to phone, and the Pre is a backup for when I get bored.

Random thoughts:
    the Pre battery life SUCKS. Sure, you can carry a removable battery, but how many people really do that? In my real-world experience, USING MOSTLY THE IPHONE for web-surfing, the pre often still has less battery life mid-day. SUCKS. And although the touchstone charger is awesome, I had to buy two--one for home and one for the office because invariably the phone is out of juice by mid-afternoon.

I like the form factor of the Pre, BUT it comes at the cost of having a smaller screen for surfing the web. IMO, there is no better mobile web browser than the iphone's safari web browser. Yes, I have geekily tried loading identical websites on both phone by pressing return on the iphone and return on the pre simultaneously and the iphone always (almost always?) loads the page faster.

The card implementation is fantastic on the pre . . . but I can't think of a single instance when I've thought to myself, "God, I'm so glad I have multitasking because this Pre has saved the day!" The most multitasking I'll do is listening to my ipod function on the iphone and using another app. I actually like keeping all cards closed on the Pre . . . I don't know, I am somewhat OCD and don't like having things "open" ha ha.

The lag on the Pre while swiping the screen bugs the crap out of me. On the iphone, your finger and the screen are married, and rapid touches and swipes feel like butter! the screen is so responsive. On the Pre, fast swipes often "lag." I don't know how to explain it, maybe someone with both phones as well can chime in and respond to this.

The lag on opening apps is annoying too. If I want to open another app that is not already open, it takes several seconds. Compared to the iphone, it's an eternity. And like I said, I usually don't keep several cards open because I like to see the pretty wallpaper instead of an open app.

Even with everything else being equal, you HAVE to give the APPS nod to the iphone. The Pre has nothing really great. I routinely use LogMeIn on the iphone, which works flawlessly. And to those people who say they don't want a gaming device too, good for you. I like the ability to play good games on the iphone. Nothing the Pre has comes close to the quality of the top-rated games on the iphone.

As a business device, I find the iphone to be snappier and more reliable. One weird bug on the Pre is that sometimes attachments in my email are there for me to download and open, and sometimes they're not! In fact, sometimes, when I first open an email, I see the section where the attachment is for me to press for download, and then I swear 10 seconds later it's gone! This has happened several times, with different attachments, including a PDF, JPG, and DOC attachment. Never, ever had problem opening attachments on the ihpone. Also, I can't open pdf attachments from my gmail opened using the web on the Pre--I get a weird message saying the file player cannot be opened or something like that. Frustrating. I've set up Mobile Me (yes, I paid the 99 dollars) to sync my outlook contacts and calendar with the iphone, so my assistant just enters something into her computer on outlook and it shows up on my phone. I THINK I set up gmail correctly to have push gmail on the iphone (via microsoft exchange), so there's no real advantage to the Pre's push gmail either.
    Quote Originally Posted by quang.luu View Post
    the Pre battery life SUCKS. Sure, you can carry a removable battery, but how many people really do that?
    the battery life for me was / is about the same for both. i think coverage is the main determiner of battery life.

In my real-world experience, USING MOSTLY THE IPHONE for web-surfing, the pre often still has less battery life mid-day. SUCKS. And although the touchstone charger is awesome, I had to buy two--one for home and one for the office because invariably the phone is out of juice by mid-afternoon.

the pre web browser, despite doing worse on the acid tests, works better on web sites for me. for example, the iphone won't load the cbs sportsline fantasy football live scoring page. still annoys my iphone having buddies in the same league as me.

because it doesn't "save the day" doesn't mean it's not useful. do you close apps all the time on your computer too?

Even with everything else being equal, you HAVE to give the APPS nod to the iphone. The Pre has nothing really great. I routinely use LogMeIn on the iphone, which works flawlessly.
    what apps are going to be important, and what's available on various platforms, is always going to vary. for example, how's that google voice app on the iphone working out for you? there's some sort of vnc app in the homebrew catalog already.

Also, I can't open pdf attachments from my gmail opened using the web on the Pre--I get a weird message saying the file player cannot be opened or something like that. Frustrating.
    yup. this is something google is f'in up though. files from other sites work.

I've set up Mobile Me (yes, I paid the 99 dollars) to sync my outlook contacts and calendar with the iphone, so my assistant just enters something into her computer on outlook and it shows up on my phone. I THINK I set up gmail correctly to have push gmail on the iphone (via microsoft exchange), so there's no real advantage to the Pre's push gmail either.
    mobileme has some funky sync issues... Sandmania: MobileMe synchronisation, how it really works
    [QUOTE=PoundSand;1962706]the battery life for me was / is about the same for both. i think coverage is the main determiner of battery life.

Well, I live in Sacramento, which (I think) has great Sprint coverage, so that doesn't explain it for me.

the pre web browser, despite doing worse on the acid tests, works better on web sites for me. for example, the iphone won't load the cbs sportsline fantasy football live scoring page. still annoys my iphone having buddies in the same league as me.

That's good for you. So besides being able to load that web page correctly, does it load them faster too? Just curious, because I've never been able to get the Pre to load a page faster than the iphone, if memory serves me right.

because it doesn't "save the day" doesn't mean it's not useful. do you close apps all the time on your computer too?

Strangely, I close apps on my computer too. I open Quicken, update it, then close it. I surf the web, finish, then close it. The card system is useful, and I don't mean for readers to infer that it's not if I worded something imprecisely. It's definitely not CRITICAL to my workday, and I don't feel I've lost any productivity because I can't multitask on my phone. I'm definitely not listening to Pandora while at work, so those of you PRE-only users out there have got that on me.

what apps are going to be important, and what's available on various platforms, is always going to vary. for example, how's that google voice app on the iphone working out for you? there's some sort of vnc app in the homebrew catalog already.

Funny you should mention the google voice app. I happen to have a couple google voice numbers, but haven't really implemented them much into my life. I do have gDial but haven't really gone full google voice. I'm a little OCD and somewhat impatient (hence the annoyance with the "lag" with the Pre--have you noticed it as well or does it not bother anyone but me?) so I don't like listening and waiting for the gDial app to call me google voice number, then press 2, then dial the telephone number. I know, I know, I need to relax a little. As far as homebrew apps go, I sideloaded some stuff that eventually made it into the official app catalog (in fact I think gDial and google dialer something or other), but don't you have to reverse the homebrew stuff before updating your phone?

I do check the apps catalog often but haven't found anything awe-inspiring that isn't done better on the iphone, google voice notwithstanding. Anyone care to point out the gems that I'm missing?

yup. this is something google is f'in up though. files from other sites work.

Sure, but I have used gmail for some time now as one of my main accounts and don't want to transition to another just so that I can use the Pre without worry.

mobileme has some funky sync issues... QUOTE]

thanks for the link. Like I said, for now, the Pre is second place in my lineup, and I hope my comments have helped the OP.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast