Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by strudel View Post
    So you can receive emails/text messages/tweets/etc in the background and that is nice and all, but what if you want to respond to them? You have to exit out of what you are doing which is the frustrating part. I want to listen to Pandora and not be interrupted when I respond to a text message or read an email. I want to be able to use turn by turn GPS (and not pay for it!) and search for nearby restaurants in another app without exiting GPS, while I am listening to Pandora of course. I want to listen to shoutcast while playing a game and responding to text messages. If I think an application is taking too long (slow data connection or whatnot) I go to a different card and do something else while I wait. I have a battery monitor graphing battery usage all the time and I can check on it whenever I want regardless of what else I am doing on the phone at the time. I can go on and on with use cases that the iPhone CAN NOT do. Saving an application state on exit or push notifications is a weak excuse for multitasking. Multitasking is being able to run whatever applications you want at the same time and the iPhone can't do that. Yes, the iPhone multi-tasks when playing music from the built in music player or when downloading apps and music, but that is about it.

I run into situations every day that would frustrate me massively with the iPhone. Yes the iPhone can open apps faster then the Pre, but I don't care about loading time because I only open the apps once. If you turn on advanced gestures switching between open apps happens quicker then the iPhone could ever hope to.

You make a few points that are valid, but there are also a few inaccuracies.

First, both the Pre and the iPhone, and most computer operating systems, allow you to have user interaction with one application at a time via the device's primary interface. A lot of the stuff you cite about the Pre comes down to switching between apps or having apps operating in the background while you are "modally" operating on one at a time. You're still not able to directly interact with more than one app at a time through the primary interface.

If I switch from mail to Safari and back on the iPhone, it's no different than switching between mail and web on the Pre, except it's faster on the 3GS as I noted. The iPhone OS keeps both apps running live in the background. They are not quit and relaunched with a saved state. They stay alive and running. That is why the switching is so fast.

You cite the notion "Saving an application state on exit ... is a weak excuse for multitasking" and I'd agree with you. But the iPhone OS doesn't do that as standard procedure with the core apps. If you believe that, then you've gotten wrong information somewhere.

In fact, the only time background iPhone apps *might* quit and save state is when the system issues them a memory warning because some other app (with higher priority) needs more memory. But the background app is more likely to gracefully deallocate unneeded resources than to quit, if that satisfies the memory needs.

I'm not trying to get into a ping pong match over this, and I told the OP that he needs to try the Pre for himself. But people on this forum have very poor knowledge about how the iPhone OS does multi-task, and how it compares with the webOS, in ways that are both better and worse.

I am in a somewhat unique position in that I have an iPhone (personal), iPhone 3GS (dev phone), and Pre (dev phone) in front of me most of the time. So I am very aware of how the devices compare with one another. And that leads to the observations I make. In another thread many months ago, I posted the output of a "top" command on the iPhone to show that, in fact, there were 6-7 core apps all running in the background at the same time while I had Google Earth in front. The iPhone OS does multi-task and that's easy to realize if you just use the device, but it's also easy to prove for the skeptics.

The Pre's card-switching metaphor is superior to the iPhone's approach in switching between apps. The Pre also allows any third party app to run in the background, whereas the iPhone does not (* caveat, see note below). But that's the extent of it. When I am listening to the iPod app while playing a third party game on the iPhone, and a call comes in, I am given the option to gracefully suspend the game while I take the call. Then while on the call, I can switch between e-mail, calendar, and web without any delays because all the apps are running simultaneously and continue to do so in the background. Or I can bring up Google maps with GPS while on a call and cross-reference with the web browser. I'm not trying to tout this, or say it's better than the Pre, just that it's possible, and easy, and runs extremely fast on a 3GS. None of this would be possible without an underlying efficient multi-tasking capability on the device.

* caveat; you can load multiple wep apps within pages of the iPhone's Safari browser and verify that they're able to operate at the same time. I have actually run multiple instances of a basic webOS test app within Safari on the iPhone to win a bet, to show it works. Therefore, I think it's important to keep things in context. There is not a direct comparison between native apps on the iPhone and offline web apps on the Pre, but were the iPhone to run web apps as the main type of applications, the behavior you see on the Pre would be easy to do on the iPhone. Conversely, were the Pre to be running some heavy duty native apps like the iPhone -- say an OpenGL racing game -- then you'll probably want/need to throttle that back when switching to something else. I don't think the device would run too well with a serious game chugging in the background. The recent details about Flash on the Pre support this, as any cards running Flash are suspended when they are put into the background to keep from choking the device. Some stuff just can't run in the background without impacting usability, power consumption, etc.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    As everyone here has mentioned, it's up to your tastes and what you are looking for. For me it was 2 things. 1) PRICE PER MONTH. SPRINT'S all data service blows AT&T out of the water. As you are living in Australia, I don't know if that matters to you. 2) MULTI-TASKING -> This is awesome. I'm an IT professional who lives off the phone and it was great breaking the phone in while trying to do some personal planning. I was able to task, check the net for info, get directions, text and drive to my destination all at the same time without having to exit any apps. THIS for me was truly imazing.

I made it short and sweet as everyone here has pretty much covered everything...
    Motorola Q (HORRIBLE) -> Samsung Instinct (Almost as bad as the Motorola) -> Palm Pre -> HTC Hero
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    caveat; you can load multiple wep apps within pages of the iPhone's Safari browser and verify that they're able to operate at the same time
    Is it one browser process running multiple pages as threads ? or is it multiple browser processes for each of the browser tabs ?
  4. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Mate,
    Just my 2 cents , "Go for Pre".

You will be amazed at the ridiculously simple the UI.

While the knowledgeable folks debate about the multitasking , I say one thing , The Pre's UI and swipes gestures are the ground breaking features in the Mobile world.

In a year from now , iPhone will have them too, and so do other phones.

Until then, its Pre.

If you think iPhone is McGrath , Pre is Warnie , you know what I mean.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Is it one browser process running multiple pages as threads ? or is it multiple browser processes for each of the browser tabs ?
    One browser process, multi-threaded.
  6. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    One browser process, multi-threaded.
    Thanks , so all pages are with in the browser, I wonder how it is different from Pre ?
    Isn't the iPhone browser limited to 3 tabs?
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Caitlyn McKenzie View Post
    Isn't the iPhone browser limited to 3 tabs?
    No, it's 8.
    Quote Originally Posted by mavoz View Post
    wow! Is the pre really as good as an iphone
    lol

not
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Thanks , so all pages are with in the browser, I wonder how it is different from Pre ?
    Think of individual pages in Safari as being analogous to cards within webOS, give or take. In fact, flipping pages within Safari almost looks like cards in that you push/pop and swipe them sideways with your thumb.
    Unless you care about games and tons of apps, the pre is better in almost every way.
    Think of individual pages in Safari as being analogous to cards within webOS, give or take. In fact, flipping pages within Safari almost looks like cards in that you push/pop and swipe them sideways with your thumb.
    "Is the sky blue?"

- "Yes."

"How do you know?"

- "Lookin' at it."

"Does the Pre multitask?"

- "Yes."

"How do you know?"

- "Usin' it."

"Does the iPhone multitask?"

- "Well, technically yes - if you download this emulator, go to the task manager and view it in conjunction with the many posts I've written on the subject, you'll see that...blah blah blah BLAH!
  13. a2k
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximo_ View Post
    I have nothing against the iPhone, and no offense to anybody who likes it, but you could not PAY me to own an iPhone. After enjoying true multitasking on the Pre, going to any other phone would feel like a huge step back into the dark ages....
    LOL!!! That's just how I felt about having to use Windows Mobile 6.5 while my Pre was being replaced!
    hmm interesting everything in here. the only time i notice the palm to mbe slow is when u use very heavy apps like gps navigation and pandora at the same time otherwise i can pop open everything and it not doing any speed changes.
    hmm interesting everything in here. the only time i notice the palm to mbe slow is when u use very heavy apps like gps navigation and pandora at the same time otherwise i can pop open everything and it not doing any speed changes. and just the fact apples holds u back in really exploring and tweaking ur phone is already a killer every device will abovereader guess what who wont get it. right iphone why? apple. so it just sucks a company telling u what to do with ur phone u paid money for it so it should not matter what u do right?
    can a blackberry multitask yes in can in a way but backing out of an app an going back in to the other one is just not so slick and easy lick the pre does it. and some apps shut down on a blackberry or iphone after u went out of them and have to be restarted. pre it stays where it is and runsso u dont have to worry about login in that page or app again. yes iphone multitask but just not like the pre. it a totall new and different experience.
    you try to make a strong defense for the iphone but ur lackin man give up , I can open ten apps at once and swith back and forth twice as fast as you so go back to ur first love and leave us be cause ur not gonna change .... My mind or any other lol ...good day!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    we all know ihpone people barely admit that there is something better then there iphone they r just to proud to admit defeat ;-)
    yeah I'm seeing it here today i didn't know they would be so defensive. lts kinda funny and sorry at the same time .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by dante501 View Post
    we all know ihpone people barely admit that there is something better then there iphone they r just to proud to admit defeat ;-)
    iSmug
    "Brace yourself, you beautiful *****. I am about to **** you up with some truth!" - Kenny Powers

"I don't mind paying taxes. With taxes, I purchase civilization."
    - H.L. Mencken
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast