Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Seems to me that the profile of a Pre fan is:
    1. Someone who hates all things Apple.
    2. Someone who is stuck with Sprint.

The Pre should have never been compared with an iPhone. They are not the same class of device. The Pre is a fine choice on its own merits. For example, you may look pretty good, but compared to Brad Pitt... why would you ever make that comparison?

The iPhone continues to draw new customers to AT&T. That means that even people who are stuck in other contracts and who do not necessarily like AT&T still go there for the iPhone. Sprint, on the other hand, is still bleeding customers, just not quite as fast as they were. There is no evidence that the public is leaping over hurdles to get a Pre.

There is also the matter of software. The iPhone comes with more useful software out of the box than most phones ever get. People use data services more heavily on the iPhone than any other phone past or present. That is because the experience of using such services is second to none on the iPhone. More things are more accessible. Speaking of accessibility, Apple has included a built-in screen reader for the visually impaired. The phone is fully accessible for people with disabilities. No one else is even thinking about this stuff. Apple is implementing it at no extra cost.

Dare I mention sync? Palm's best answer to Apple's world-beating solution is to pretend that it is an Apple product. In no way is the Pre in the same league as the iPhone 3GS. Even Sprint does not try to make a quality comparison. Sprint's response to the iPhone is that the Pre is cheaper to use. File it in the category of "You get what you pay for."

It is possible that you do not meet the above two conditions and still prefer the Pre. If so, you would be in the extreme minority. Buy a Pre for what it is. But don't try to convince yourself that it is "better" than an iPhone 3GS. That is a loosing proposition.
    Guess I don't fit that profile then. I wasn't stuck with Sprint when I got my Pre, I was off contract. I also don't hate all things Apple, the 3Gs is an excellent phone, very fast and very capable, but I wanted a hardware keyboard, and wasn't afraid of a 1.0 device. I also have been with Sprint since 2001 and they have treated me well, and their network is unmatched in the Dallas area, not to mention the price of their plans. The "you get what you pay for" comment you made is pretty idiotic when you get more for your money with Sprint.
    well the multitasking isnt the same like u said on the ihpone u have to back out and stuff to get to the next one with pre u dont big plus and the network is not a factor for the guy in australia anyhow. we all know att isnt a good network it only has so much people because of the iphone. but its not the point here. hmm and the speed on 3gs and palm pre is when u in full coverage with both phones and u start the browser the pre is faster did the test. well again i dont thing is the iphone 3gs whats slower it the network. so i probably would say the pre is slower but since here in the usa the network the pre is on is the better network its hard to tell is u get the pre with simcard and u can buy it with every carrier then the pre is maybe even faster how knows excatly.
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    Just wanted to correct this common and gross piece of mis-information. Yes, the iPhone does multi-task, with 6-7 core apps running in the background and dozens of other background processes. The iPhone's use of the home-button to switch between the "modal" display of these apps is not nearly as slick as the cards implementation on the Pre (this is what I consider to be the "perceived" multi-tasking effect people discuss, which is better on the Pre). However I should note that in my experience, app switching is still faster on the iPhone 3GS than the Pre in most cases.
    I agree and disagree here.

It should be stated for the record that the iPhone 3GS does multitask core apps with a saved state, and can do more apps with jailbreaking, which is only fair given how much Pre owners tout homebrewing/developer mode/patches, etc.

But I don't think even an iPhone 3GS is as fast at mulittasking as an advanced, all-the-way-left-to-all-the-way-right-or-vice-versa swipe in a Pre app. You set up your cards in an order you can keep track of, and swicthing from any app to any other app is instantaneous. iPhone still requires a button press and locating the icon on whichever launcher page it is on.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    I have an iPhone and a Pre. It took a couple of months of using both, but now the iPhone just collects dust as it sits, unused for the most part.

I agree with most of the intelligent posts, except I don't know if the iPhone wins on battery life. There are a lot of factors that affect battery life on both sides. At least the Pre has a removable battery and different capactity replacements are available.

I really like the operating system of the Pre. If you are into customization and hacking, it is so much easier on the Pre.

IMHO, the iPhone is more mature and a better choice for someone younger, who wants a great device out of the box and not have to worry about it. In fact, the iPhone is so mature it has reached it's potential and is on the verge of becoming stale.

The Pre is more immature and has tons of potential. It would fit better to a person that sees the device a tool and doesn't mind utilizing the tools to get the tasks done. That's where stuff like multitasking and synergy come into play. And sooner, rather than later, apps will be developed to fit their needs.

Finally, I like that the operating system and the developers are on the same page. It's not like everything that gets written has to be blessed by Apple or at least play by their rules. Apple shuts the hacking community down, on purpose, with each software upgrade, so it's a cat and mouse game for the hacking.

The Pre is only on 8gb. I suspect a new Pre will be coming with more memory and maybe some hardware tweaks in the near future.

Both are very good and I hope both will raise the bar on each other to force the other guy to make a better product.
    I was just about to reply to the no multi-task iPhone FUD. The iPhone can play streaming podcasts and iTunes U content in the background while running other programs or with screen off. It can play music in the background from the iPod. It can even do a multi-task trick that the Pre will never be able to do. You can use data services while on a phone call. This means that you can look up an address or visit a website while talking to someone about that information. You can also use any app while the phone runs in the background.

The only restriction to multi-tasking is that a third party app cannot initiate a multi-task, but you can definitely use third-party apps at the same time as some of the built-in apps. You have to define a specific use case when comparing multi-task capabilities. But it is absolutely incorrect to say that the iPhone does not multi-task. For my money, it does it better.
    ya that just it mika and davis rod has spoken wiesly as well in his comment and i didnt know apple fan boy was here.
    u can do have calls on ur pre and surf the web and use it as wi fi hooked up on ur laptop and have pandora playing as well and nope ihpone doesnt do mulititasking as fast ans slick like the pre its just not made for it. u have to press a button then go all the way back in to the app and stuff sounds slow pre is one finger flig bam it there nope no advantage on iphone side. and 02589# ur right u spoke wisely as well it never getting old to say that ;-)
    I was just about to reply to the no multi-task iPhone FUD. The iPhone can play streaming podcasts and iTunes U content in the background while running other programs or with screen off. It can play music in the background from the iPod. It can even do a multi-task trick that the Pre will never be able to do. You can use data services while on a phone call. This means that you can look up an address or visit a website while talking to someone about that information. You can also use any app while the phone runs in the background.
    That's a limitation of CDMA networks, not the Pre. The Pre on GSM networks can actually use data services while on the phone. Also, if you are on Wifi, it works as well even on CDMA.

Also, the ability to play music or answer a call while using an app is not really multitasking. My old as the hills Nokia 6133 could do that. It was not a multitasking phone.

The only restriction to multi-tasking is that a third party app cannot initiate a multi-task, but you can definitely use third-party apps at the same time as some of the built-in apps. You have to define a specific use case when comparing multi-task capabilities. But it is absolutely incorrect to say that the iPhone does not multi-task. For my money, it does it better.
    If I have to close out my GPS to answer a call, that's a problem. If I can't use Pandora simply because it's a third party app, while web browsing, that's a problem. These are issues of a phone that does not allow multitasking.

Note that I make a distinct point here. The iPhone can very easily multitask. The issue lies with Apple and the OS, where they specifically tell their users what is best for them. Remember the comment about battery life? If the phone can only do as well as the Pre already without true multitasking, I'd hate to see what it'd be like if it did.

Also, comparing jailbroken iPhones to the Pre is wildly poor judgment. While they both allow great customization, the difference lies in two things:

1. How easy is it?
    2. Is it allowed?

The answer to the first question for the Pre is as simple as a short command and a restart. No software needed to crack it open. No "hacking" the OS to expose the underlying layers.

The answer to the second question for the Pre is also simple. It's allowed, and in many cases is actually encouraged by Palm, as long as the resulting customizations do not cause issues with your service provider (see also: Tethering). Meanwhile, the iPhone has to go through a whole new set of hacking every time Apple updates the iPhone OS. People hold their phones back from updates, afraid to do so because they might not be able to jailbreak them. This is not a friendly and conducive environment to customization.

There are many strengths to an iPhone, greatest being its app store. But let's be sensible about things, people. The iPhone isn't perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dante501 View Post
    u can do have calls on ur pre and surf the web
    No you can't, not unless you are using wifi. That is a limitation of the type of network Sprint is using. Check your facts.
    well i do it all the time i am on the road a lot when i get a call i still surf the internet and can use gps navigation i would be lost without it working all over usa. so ya u have to be in high spedd coverage where u have like all over usa with sprint. so ya i always hated that on other phones they dont do real multitaskin always getting kicked out of gps navigation or music and internet when u get a call just annoying well not anym,\ore with the pre.
    dandbj13 u must be the famous apple fan boy i guess?? and yes i know u couldnt do it with other phones on sprint using dat at the same time but with the pre it work i send email out to and receive them when i am on a call and i am on it a lot have likt 5000 minutes per months on minutes so ya.
    i couldnt do things like that with the blackberry tour i know but like i said pre is different.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    But I don't think even an iPhone 3GS is as fast at mulittasking as an advanced, all-the-way-left-to-all-the-way-right-or-vice-versa swipe in a Pre app. You set up your cards in an order you can keep track of, and swicthing from any app to any other app is instantaneous. iPhone still requires a button press and locating the icon on whichever launcher page it is on.
    You're exactly right about the clunky process on the iPhone, which I though I was alluding to. So, I should qualify what I meant -- it's not so much the act of switching, it's the act of switching and immediately "using" the apps that is consistently faster on the 3GS. The Pre adds a bit of slop/lag into the process in many cases.

I frequently jump between phone and web browser (sometimes while on a call on the iPhone), and the 3GS can do it without missing a beat. Noticeably better than my personal first-gen iPhone, which is still no slouch. With the Pre, there is often a delay thrown in there before I can use the app or provide input. To me, that's the most noticeable difference.

So I would say the efficient multi-tasking on the Pre doesn't always live up to its potential in terms of bang-bang fast switching and use of the apps. There is still a fair amount of molasses in the OS that needs to be improved or optimized. I find that annoying.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    No you can't, not unless you are using wifi. That is a limitation of the type of network Sprint is using. Check your facts.
    A better way to answer would be "Yes, it can, if you are using wifi". Saying you can't is implying that.... you can't, when in fact you can.
    The Pre will never compete head to head with the iPhone until we get 50+ fart apps in the Pre app catalog!
    Quote Originally Posted by pathymo View Post
    A better way to answer would be "Yes, it can, if you are using wifi". Saying you can't is implying that.... you can't, when in fact you can.
    I phrased it that way because I was responding to a poster claiming feats that are clearly not possible. He was not talking about using wifi. Perhaps something was lost in translation.

Also, that works both ways. People in this thread have been describing multi-tasking as an exclusive feature of the Pre, suggesting that the iPhone can't do it. That, too, is wrong. Each device implements the feature differently, but the iPhone can most certainly do it.

FUD busting is thirsty work. I need a drink.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    Just wanted to correct this common and gross piece of mis-information. Yes, the iPhone does multi-task, with 6-7 core apps running in the background and dozens of other background processes. The iPhone's use of the home-button to switch between the "modal" display of these apps is not nearly as slick as the cards implementation on the Pre (this is what I consider to be the "perceived" multi-tasking effect people discuss, which is better on the Pre). However I should note that in my experience, app switching is still faster on the iPhone 3GS than the Pre in most cases.
    So you can receive emails/text messages/tweets/etc in the background and that is nice and all, but what if you want to respond to them? You have to exit out of what you are doing which is the frustrating part. I want to listen to Pandora and not be interrupted when I respond to a text message or read an email. I want to be able to use turn by turn GPS (and not pay for it!) and search for nearby restaurants in another app without exiting GPS, while I am listening to Pandora of course. I want to listen to shoutcast while playing a game and responding to text messages. If I think an application is taking too long (slow data connection or whatnot) I go to a different card and do something else while I wait. I have a battery monitor graphing battery usage all the time and I can check on it whenever I want regardless of what else I am doing on the phone at the time. I can go on and on with use cases that the iPhone CAN NOT do. Saving an application state on exit or push notifications is a weak excuse for multitasking. Multitasking is being able to run whatever applications you want at the same time and the iPhone can't do that. Yes, the iPhone multi-tasks when playing music from the built in music player or when downloading apps and music, but that is about it.

I run into situations every day that would frustrate me massively with the iPhone. Yes the iPhone can open apps faster then the Pre, but I don't care about loading time because I only open the apps once. If you turn on advanced gestures switching between open apps happens quicker then the iPhone could ever hope to.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    I phrased it that way because I was responding to a poster claiming feats that are clearly not possible. He was not talking about using wifi. Perhaps something was lost in translation.

Also, that works both ways. People in this thread have been describing multi-tasking as an exclusive feature of the Pre, suggesting that the iPhone can't do it. That, too, is wrong. Each device implements the feature differently, but the iPhone can most certainly do it.

FUD busting is thirsty work. I need a drink.
    Ah. Gotcha.

I'm pretty sure EVERY smartphone multi-tasks. So yeah, it just comes down to how it is implemented.

Aaaaaaand MARGARITAS! Too bad its only like noon here
    Quote Originally Posted by pathymo View Post
    Aaaaaaand MARGARITAS! Too bad its only like noon here
    My drink of the moment is an off-brand grapefruit soft-drink that cost less than a dollar for a two-liter bottle at my local discount food chain. Trolling may be thirsty work but it's not going to make me an alcoholic.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    My drink of the moment is an off-brand grapefruit soft-drink that cost less than a dollar for a two-liter bottle at my local discount food chain. Trolling may be thirsty work but it's not going to make me an alcoholic.
    I apologize, I'm an actor in NY. When someone says drink, I automatically associate it with something that can be either "on the rocks" or "staight up".
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast