Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    A friend of mine who is in law school wants to purchase a PDA. She is looking at a Jornada from HP.

She will be using the PDA in class with a keyboard, primarily for Word & Excel. Presently uses Outlook as her PIM.

Any advice, suggestion, experiences, Pocket PC equivalent of Visorcentral?

Happy New Year
    Kenny
    yep. www.pocketpc.com is the absolute best place for advice & tips on the PocketPC devices.

Tell your friend good luck, and not to purchase a Jornada UNLESS the S/N of the unit is higher than SG143*****.

The big problem with Jornada's 560 series is that dust is getting under the screen. Supposedly the dust issue was fixed after any unit with a S/N higher than the one above. The 43 is the unit's week of manufacture...so anything built after the 43rd week of the year won't have the dust issues that the first ones have...I dunno...mine is SG147*****, and I'm not so sure its fixed yet...but I LOVE it nonetheless.
    Tell her to ditch the PocketPC OS altogether and look towards the Sony CLIE handheld lineup. (I am unsure of the status of a keyboard, but I'm pretty sure there is one out for it... if not, then... there isn't. Judge from there.)

Wordsmith is a far better program then PocketWord in my opinion. It's simple to use, straightforward, and just plain works without getting in the way. It also is VERY featured: you can control things such as indentations, spacing, and other goodies.

With the money saved, she can get DocsToGo (or some other equivelent... there are many), and have a second choice for Word processing. (WordToGo is actually more compatible with MS Word than PocketWord is.) , and have a spreadsheet. She'll have a choice. Remember:

Software Matters!

Plus, she'll be able to enjoy:
    Thousands of Palm OS apps (software matters)
    Long battery Life
    Better Form Factor
    The Best Screen of any PDA
    An excellent Mp3 playing system (and it can be controlled with the handy Remote while she's taking notes)
    And the clear conscience of not buying hyped up crap from a corporation designed to steal ideas from start-ups and profit from them through deceptive advertising! (Seriously)

AND, it will probably cost her significantly less. With the money saved, go buy a Memorystick, or some gadget!
    --
    <b><font size=1 color=teal>"Sorry about the whole thing about losing your life savings, but that Palmpilot is property of Enron, so please give it back"
    I agree with bblue (welcome back, BTW). Get a Palm OS device, save lots of money and frustration, and get WordSmith (for the Word docs) and MiniCalc (for the spreadsheets). Outlook will also work with it just fine.
    IYYAYAS

AMMO - Providing the enemy the opportunity to die for his country.
    Thousands of Palm OS programs? I'm yet to see something that my old Visor Deluxe can do that my iPAQ 3835 can't do.

Secondly, with PocketPC you can play WMA8 files. Better compression=more music to listen to.

Also, memory stick is pretty much Sony only, whereas with my 3835 with a CF sleeve I have SD (which can also use MMC cards) and a CF slot, which are more widely accepted standards than Memory Stick.

Those are 3 things the iPAQ, and for that matter, just about any other PPC has going for it, the three things on the Clie side are:

1. Cheaper by $150

2. Smaller, to most guys I know, as long as the PDA isn't a complete brick, it's ok, and the iPAQ fits in my pocket just fine, but for most women, the smaller the better.

3. Interface is more simple
    Originally posted by b1lanceman
    Thousands of Palm OS programs? I'm yet to see something that my old Visor Deluxe can do that my iPAQ 3835 can't do.

Secondly, with PocketPC you can play WMA8 files. Better compression=more music to listen to.

Also, memory stick is pretty much Sony only, whereas with my 3835 with a CF sleeve I have SD (which can also use MMC cards) and a CF slot, which are more widely accepted standards than Memory Stick.
    LOL! I'll tell you something. Pocket PC's dont even have a SINGLE developer that develops software for students! There is NO homework tracking software, no STUDENT project management software. No flash card programs for studying for tests. I'd have to use the screwed task-list to do it. PPC doesn't even come close to being usable for students. As for apps, PPC is too slow and complicated to load simple but cool apps, such as a stopwatch, love calculator, convertor program, lakers schedule, money inflation calculator, roman numeral calculator. Hahahahaha....Oh yea, and you can't carry your iPAQ with you to a concert, or a formal event, could ya? Without looking like a fool. You can encode MP3s at 96kbps and put em on the clie. They sound great, so on a 64 MB MS, you can hold 1 hour, 45 mins of music . AND you get a remote control, AND you can ACTUALLY use the clie at the same time still, for longer than an hour. For now, Memory Stick is more widely used than SD and MMC combined...And sony is catching up, getting cheaper and more developers making them.

The iPAQ is still a chubby little boy, he can just do more now. Not much more for most people though, just corporations . Saw my friend's 3800 last week, its nice and all, but he doesn't even know how to use the BASIC APPS! All he uses it for is the MP3 function and games. He's rich, so that's his $600 MP3 and gaming machine, its not even a PDA, LOL! The cover is a joke too.
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .
    Actually, I'm a student, and my iPAQ is more than usable. If anything, it's much better than my old PalmOS based VDX for schoolwork, I actually have real MS word and MS Excel synchronization built in, instead of having to pay for a Word Processor and convert every .doc file I want to use.

About MP3's, yes, you can encode them at 96kbps, but I can encode mine at 48 and get 3 hours on a 64 MB CF card. I carry my iPAQ everywhere, doesn't even stick out of my pocket.

And you can use the iPAQ the same time the music is playing. Ever tried it? 206MHz processor means I can do everything while playing Multimedia with the possible exception of playing Quake or my SNES emulator.

And you can use the iPAQ the same time the music is playing. Ever tried it? 206MHz processor means I can do everything while playing Multimedia with the possible exception of playing Quake or my SNES emulator.
    Not exactly sure what you mean by this, but I can use my CLIE while playing MP3's as well, if that was your point.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    I *cough* should receive a temporary iPaq next week..

(temp being it's borrowed and NOT mine)

what's some good student software?
    I'm kinda excited - I made this spiffy visorcentral theme that looks really cool.. if I could only figure out a way to export it form the program (the french proram since I'm running 98 and MS's theme generator no work with 98).. kinda ironic though eh?

but seriously. what is some good thigns to use with an iPaq specificlly? I don't want to invest any money into it as I do'nt get to keep it but I want to make good use of it while I have it...

this probably should be a seperate thread, but heh..
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Actually, I'm a student, and my iPAQ is more than usable. If anything, it's much better than my old PalmOS based VDX for schoolwork, I actually have real MS word and MS Excel synchronization built in, instead of having to pay for a Word Processor and convert every .doc file I want to use.

About MP3's, yes, you can encode them at 96kbps, but I can encode mine at 48 and get 3 hours on a 64 MB CF card. I carry my iPAQ everywhere, doesn't even stick out of my pocket.

LOL, then the iPAQ must not help you much in school, probably kills more productivity than it creates. I can track my homework and see what grade i'm getting in each class and overall with 4.0Student. Why do you need Excel for school? WordSmith works great for notes! BTW, I use Mac, and PPC doesn't even sync with it!

LOL, as for MP3s, why do you need THAT much music? I mean, you're not SO busy that you don't get home EVERYDAY until like 10 PM do you? I only do that once a week...If you're listening to that many MP3s away from home, somethings wrong with you...Come home and listen to them on your stereo system, I bet your iPAQ can't beat my system at home

Yea, I did, I tried listening to our field show music and playing Turjah at the same time. After 15 minutes, it gave me a low battery warning, and his battery was at 100%. Haha, and it was laggy too...My clie never lagged while playing MP3s on the bus going to parades. Our bus rides were like 3 hours too. Using that 206 MHz of power really likes to eat power
    nelson.hsieh
    So...according to this thread, one should get a PPC if they really like Microsoft Office and/or want to listen to MP3s...are there any other selling points?
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by homer
    So...according to this thread, one should get a PPC if they really like Microsoft Office and/or want to listen to MP3s...are there any other selling points?
    Hmm, one should get a PPC if they like expensize toys I mean, deep down, Palm handhelds are cheaper, and the basic apps are not hard to use and if you don't like them, they're are many other options as well. As a PDA, Palms suffice. The only reason you'd go for a PPC is because you want a cool toy to show off. One that has color, and perty pictures, and can play music. I mean, really, do we ALL really need that? I assuming we buy PDAs for number one, to help organize our lives. Palms do that fine, and the only reason to go to a better model is to either do it faster or more efficiently. Or to have a cooler toy to show off aside from what you "bought" it for.
    nelson.hsieh
    There's alot of reasons to get PocketPC.

Word synchronization is much better and comes out of the box, and the newer PPC's have spell-check built in, so that's another plus, I may be wrong, but I don't think any Palm has a spell-check yet, although it's been over a year since I've used one.

If you're using a modem, wireless or wired, PPC blows Palm out of the water, period.

More sound for your money, PPC can play better-compressed WMA8 where no Palm platform can.

If you like games, which you might or might not, again PocketPC is considerably better.

I've used both the PIM on Palm and PPC, and I don't really have complaints about either one.

And one last thing, file extension support. Something few take into account, using things on Palm requires Pdb or Prc files. And when you want to do multimedia in Tealmovie, or convert gameboy roms playing liberty, it gets to be a pain, PPC has wider file type support though, just something to think about.

Also, PPC can multitask, palm can't. The Sony can play MP3's while doing other things (which is because the MP3 player works independantly from the CPU) but other than that, Palm's have zero multitasking capability.

One last thing AzNCoMpUtAnErD, why I need so much music is beside the point, you're just dodging the statement about PPC being able to play more music for the same amount of storage space.

Word synchronization is much better and comes out of the box, and the newer PPC's have spell-check built in, so that's another plus, I may be wrong, but I don't think any Palm has a spell-check yet, although it's been over a year since I've used one.
    While I have never used PocketWord, I do own WordSmith. I can say without a doubt syncing word documents could not get much easier. Plus, with the latest version, a Spell Check and Thes. is included. Unfortunately, the Spell Check is painfully slow.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2

I've used both the PIM on Palm and PPC, and I don't really have complaints about either one.

I'd have to respectfully disagree with you on Word support in PPC. I have a Jornada 567 & a Clie 760C. I use DataViz Docs To Go 4.0 Pro, and it a Vastly superior in syncing in Word docs.

Ever try syncing in a table in Pocket Word? It doesn't support tables, how about special format options? If you look into the support that Pocket Word/Excel have for their own full version products (Work/Excell) its shameful compared to what DataViz & others support. You would think that with all of MS's $$$, they could at least meet the competition in supporting Word/Excel functions that smaller Palm App companies have already built it!

Oh, and how about that Pocket PowerPoint!!! IT DOESN'T EXIST! But good ole DataViz has a Viewer for it, try to find that on your PPC.

Spellchecker - Wordsmith has it. So you're 0/2.

Now, don't get me wrong, like I said, I own a Jornada 567, I find some of its functions quite usefull, but I also don't like the complexity of its UI. It takes too long to find things, and takes too much of my time to manage, its basically a mini-pc, with a lot of the system management issues I don't want in a PDA.

And who cares if the music playback is outside of the main CPU? How does that effect anything? I personally love the integrated MP3 player, so why would I care if its not through the main CPU? Why does that matter in any way? The PPC has a more powerful CPU, absolutely, but I also wait more for that thing between programs than I do with my Clie...don't know why, don't care either, just know that in some instances, its slow...

So I prefer my Clie over my Jornada, but love the Jornada for its CF support and all that brings...plus Pocket IE is really quite good.

PIM are comparable in my view.

Both are viable options...

If you're using a modem, wireless or wired, PPC blows Palm out of the water, period.

More sound for your money, PPC can play better-compressed WMA8 where no Palm platform can.

If you like games, which you might or might not, again PocketPC is considerably better.

And one last thing, file extension support. Something few take into account, using things on Palm requires Pdb or Prc files. And when you want to do multimedia in Tealmovie, or convert gameboy roms playing liberty, it gets to be a pain, PPC has wider file type support though, just something to think about.

Also, PPC can multitask, palm can't. The Sony can play MP3's while doing other things (which is because the MP3 player works independantly from the CPU) but other than that, Palm's have zero multitasking capability.

One last thing AzNCoMpUtAnErD, why I need so much music is beside the point, you're just dodging the statement about PPC being able to play more music for the same amount of storage space.
    The syncronization of documents if good on BOTH platforms, they work, and that's all that matters. However, you can display and view PowerPoint on Palms. Using a Visor and the Presenter-to-Go module.

As for the modem, I don't travel, so I don't know there. I'm sure they both work fine for email, and I don't know why you'd wanna surf the web on that thing...

Music and Sound, I must say they are both great, but the Sony clearly has a superior format. It uses a DSP engine, which gives it good multi-task performance and wayyy superior battery life. 206 MHz of power is gonna take a lot of juice. Can you play MP3's and play games for 4 or 5 hours? Probably less than half of that... As for the amount on the card, you could do the same on a Clie, you can go all the way down to 32 kbps, but who would want to? 96kbps is DECENT music, I tried going lower, and that just brings the quality to crap, not even worth listening to. Cymbal crashes are pretty bad already in 96kbps, and the singer's voice is distorted, don't see why you'd wanna go lower...

It's not totally true a Palm can't "multi-task." I mean, that meaning that you can switch back and forth between apps. Since they are in RAM, I can use a dictionary and go back and forth between WordSmith, and that's the same as if I were on Windows or PPC. It's not like the file gets closed and you have to re-open everything, it's all there. What kind of multi-tasking can you do that Palm can't do? Have you ever tried McPhling??? ANd PPC you have to MANUALLY close every app you've opened, dont have to for Palm .

I'll have to agree with you for File Formats, but it's not a big problem. . For games, I only play turn base games, don't play games that I can't "leave" and come back to, such as Doom or Quake. I mean, c'mon, if you're so crazed about games on a PDA, then something is wrong with you. Palm has wayyy more turn based games, which are nice when you have a few minutes to spare. If you're playing games because you're just bored at home, then you're hard core dude...I only play games to pass sometime I have away from home. Play CounterStrike or StarCraft if you wanna play games Games on handhelds are to kill time away from home, and Palm does that better, and longer. If you're a gamer, I don't think you'll enjoy PPC or Palm.
    Last edited by AzNCoMpUtAnErD; 01/22/2002 at 06:00 PM.
    nelson.hsieh
    Sorry bout wordsmith, like I said, it's been awhile since I've used Palm.

Also, it's not about how small you can compress your MP3's, the fact is, whatever quality your MP3's are playing at, a WMA8 file can play it at the same quality while taking up half as much space.

iPAQ's do have the capability to perform powerpoint presentations, just look at the software bundle for the 3835 or 3850.

Also, with PPC, you don't have to manually close every app. There's many ways around this, it just takes 2-3 taps instead of 1, which is all of .5 seconds more time to quit a program. Just go Ctrl-Q or if you use PocketNav like I do, you can quit with 1 tap.

Games are EXTREMELY important for me, I can't stand sitting through Algebrea II, the class is simply unbearable, and since I have a 95 in the class, my teacher could really care less whether I'm playing Quake or paying attention to her.

And surfing the web on any PDA sucks, it just sucks less on a PocketPC, although if you're running Blazer, the PocketPC is only a little bit better.

And lastly, the amount of time I can spend playing MP3's and games depends on backlight, with it off, it takes about 6 hours to get the battery down to a low enough level to where you should turn the thing off, with the backlight on a low setting (what I usually do), it takes about 4. Although I will admit, the battery on the Jornada 560 series and iPAQ 3800 series is FAR in advance of earlier batteries. On my old 3635, I was lucky to get 3 hours of Pocket IE, Games, or an E-book with the backlight on full, it was simply pitiful. One thing I'll hand to my old Palm IIIc, the battery lasted damn near forever on the thing.

BTW, about all the battery times, I've actually done some testing on this using the program UpTime.
    Cool, forgot to remember that PPC can play WMAs...but then you have to convert them still.. Yea, I've heard the batteries on the 3800 and Jornadas have really been worked up, which is good. FINALLY getting to the level of Palms, hehe. Sounds pretty complicated to close an app, just tap the little button that looks like a house

You must not be taking Honors then. I'm in Algebra 2 Honors, AP Computer Science, English Honors, Concert Band 3. Don't have much time to "waste," in school. They're very hard classes, need every moment I can to stay with it. I never play games at school, unless we don't play in band. Other than that, I only play if my mom is really late, or I'm out somewhere bored, haha. You must be a lonely guy...playing Quake, talk with some of the ladies! hehe mister iPAQ stud! Spelled ALGEBRA wrong smart guy, but it's ok. I hope maybe one day they'll make a thing PPC, then I might take a second look at PPC...
    nelson.hsieh
    Talk to people? In Algebra II PAP (Pre AP, about the equivalent of honors) I can't stand most the people in my class, particularly the ***** next to me who keeps asking me if he can play with my iPAQ, today I told him I'd let him play with it as soon as he could get an 85 on a test, until then, he has better things to do than play games, things like, passing a class. My apologies for misspelling algebra, as if you've never misspelled anything before I didn't think I was dumb enough to have typed that wrong until I actually went back and looked at my post.

Also, Alg II is the only class where I get a chance to pull it out other than to write down HW, with the exception of English, and the last time I pulled it out in there, I had my teacher looking over my shoulder for 10 minutes to make sure I was reading my E-book of Great Expectations and not the NYTimes.

And about talking to the ladies, I already have a possessive girlfriend, if she sees me talking to any girl that's remotely attractive, she goes quite completely insane.

About you mentioning that the reason many people have PPC's is for the "cool" factor, I will admit, that was a small part. But it was more to impress myself than anyone else, having any kind of a Palm at my school is something, back when I had my B/W Visor Deluxe, people still looked at the thing with awe and envy.

They have AP computer science at your school? You lucky *******, the only computer class they have at my school is basically to teach you how to use Microsoft Word and Excel. Lotsa fun huh?

One thing I forgot to mention, IBM ViaVoice voice recognition, a month or so ago it was only useful for the "cool" factor, but with IBM's new patch, it's actually becoming a time-saver and a useful application, because you can basically assign just about anything a voice command, and with the patch, it actually recognizes you speaking the vast majority of the time instead of only about half the time. It was always a cute idea, but it's only very recently that it's actually started working.
    Nice, I'll be in AP Calc A next year already, so we'll be up there! haha...don't particulary like math, so I don't know why I'm going into it. Yea, I'ma take the AP 'A' Exam in May, so wish me luck! My senior year, I'll take it again, we're switching to Java, actually, everyone is, by the college board . I've got quite a few cute freshmen gurlz...haha, lucky me...That's why girlfriends are bad ideas in HS, for more then one reason. I just love this year's freshmen....ahhhhh So many cute ones to talk to...Yah, my Visor Edge is plenty cool among the ladies, it looks "perty" and so does my Ti-83 Plus Silver. I call 'em Mr. and Mrs. Silver . Ahhhh....cute freshmen gurlz...errr, need to get back to studying....haha
    nelson.hsieh
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast