Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Well, not to beat a dead horse, but you're point in a previous post was that PowerPoint was installed functionality, and that with Palm you had to add it on...looks like you do on the iPaq as well, the software list says its on the CD, not preinstalled in ROM.

But, I'm still jealous b/c my Jornada doesn't have it at all.

I just think they're both good solutions depending on what you need...but as a profession DBA, I need quick SIMPLE easy access to information, I don't like extra steps. extra steps = extra headaches = lost productivity. My Clie requires by far, less maintenance than my Jornada. Plus all the extra taps needed in the PocketPC are annoying...although adding WisBar has greatly reduced this.

I dunno, the reason I have both is b/c I can't decide which one I really want to keep...do I value the simple & easy interface of the Clie, or do I want the Jornada with its more complex interface, but additional power & standard CF expansion possibilites...at this point, its a toss up to me.
    Since I first asked what advantages there are to the PPC besides games/music and Microsoft Office, the only other answer I received was better modems...which I would agree with.

That still isn't much of a selling point, though. At least for a PDA. Games/Music are neat, but not high on a lot of peoples PDA needs. Microsoft Office functionality out-of-the-box is only appealing to Microsoft drones.

To be fail, I really like the PPCs, and I think Palm really needs to up the anty and get closer to feature parity. That said, I don't think Palm needs to add MP3 ability or better games on the top of their list. A bigger screen would be enough for me!

And please don't EVER mention Powerpoint as a 'feature'!
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by homer
    To be fail, I really like the PPCs, and I think Palm really needs to up the anty and get closer to feature parity. That said, I don't think Palm needs to add MP3 ability or better games on the top of their list. A bigger screen would be enough for me!
    MP3 is being taken up by Sony, and maybe others will be able to use the same technology to do the same. DSP engines, as in the clie, works great. To rely on the processor, eats up battery (maybe just as much as a DSP, haha) and the processor itself.

As for Games, I must say, that lies solely on the developers, and they are doing a GREAT job, I must say. With the resources they have, they are developing VERY good games. PPC developers get so much "stuff" to work with, you'd expect some good games. PalmOS is limited, but yet it can still do the same If screens start getting bigger, so does the handheld itself, which is bad
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .
    IMHO, the big problem with PalmOS is that there is only one company actually getting in and doing anything new with the OS anymore, and that's Sony, if you ask me, if Sony bought out Palm's software division, it'd probably be the best thing to ever happen to the OS.
    Well, that's the same with PPC. Microsoft is the only one that does anything to the PPC OS. Except Palm, Inc still does have power, as well as HandEra. HandEra is doing quite a lot, you can't forget them. Palm, haha, I dunno...and Handspring has done a lot, and I think they'll open PalmOS as a wireless platform more with the Treo and their new vision into communicators. A PPC can't be a cell phone, can it?
    nelson.hsieh
    PocketPC can be a cellphone actually. Compaq is going to have a CF/cellphone sleeve coming out in february (admittedly elevating your ipaq to brick status in the process) but Microsoft is pushing ahead with wireless enabled PocketPC devices other than this.

About Handera, those guys would rule the market if they'd put some multimedia capabilities and a color screen onto their current PDA, and get some decent marketing (although word of mouth has been working for them so far.) If they could get one of their devices to play an MP3 or WMA file, and have a 16bit color screen, I'd be very tempted to turn back to the PalmOS
    Originally posted by b1lanceman
    PocketPC can be a cellphone actually. Compaq is going to have a CF/cellphone sleeve coming out in february (admittedly elevating your ipaq to brick status in the process) but Microsoft is pushing ahead with wireless enabled PocketPC devices other than this.
    Yea, as if the iPAQ weren't a brick already compared to the Treo. The Treo is going to be an awesome device, unmatched anywhere. Adding on a sleeve to an iPAQ won't cut it against the Treo.

About Handera, those guys would rule the market if they'd put some multimedia capabilities and a color screen onto their current PDA, and get some decent marketing (although word of mouth has been working for them so far.) If they could get one of their devices to play an MP3 or WMA file, and have a 16bit color screen, I'd be very tempted to turn back to the PalmOS
    HandEra is cool...but they don't have money to burn. They've released about 2 PDAs in the past what, 3 years? Haha, they don't have the money to screw up or lose to competition. They have to be different in order to even stay alive. If they add those, they'll just be trying to be like Sony, who is WAYYY ahead of them. I think they'll go for color, but who knows about the multimedia, they need to play it smart. Same with Palm, or they'll find their units to be antiques
    nelson.hsieh
    Originally posted by AzNCoMpUtAnErD
    HandEra is cool...but they don't have money to burn. They've released about 2 PDAs in the past what, 3 years? Haha, they don't have the money to screw up or lose to competition. They have to be different in order to even stay alive. If they add those, they'll just be trying to be like Sony, who is WAYYY ahead of them. I think they'll go for color, but who knows about the multimedia, they need to play it smart. Same with Palm, or they'll find their units to be antiques
    The statement that Sony is way ahead of HandERA is not entirely accurate.

The truth is, the only thing Sony has is MP3 and HiRes Color.

HandERA already has HiRes. In addition, they have a soft graffiti area on the 330, giving even more screen space. Not to mention, they have two forms of expansion, meaning you could have an SD Card for memory, a CF Modem and a Stowaway all going at the same time. The battery compartment can handle both a LithiumIon battery and AA's, a valuable asset if your battery goes dead and you do not have the charging cable.

Considering the progress that is being made with battery technology, it is possible that HandERA could include Color, add MP3 and keep everything else the same, still giving decent battery life. They might have to take away the option of adding AA's, but it would still sell like crazy. Of course, they would probably have to maintain the PalmIII case and connector, but that would still give backwards compatibility to peripherals. Considering they target the business market, that can only be a plus.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    Hate to say it, but Treo is WAY overpriced, it just won't sell. Particularly the color model. $400 bucks for a black and white PDA with nothing special except wireless? And if Sony came out with a stick that provided wireless net access to the user, the Clie would blow the color treo right out of the water, it'd be absolutely no contest from a Palm users point of view. Not to mention the treo isn't compatible with 3G

If Compaq came out with a sleeve that had CF and 3G wireless instead of CF/cellphone and low speed wireless, I might go for it, as I don't carry around my iPAQ with the sleeve on anyways, size is of little importance as long as it isn't much bigger than a Palm III form factor or so, which is about what the iPAQ is. But considering that 3G is just around the corner, I'll wait and see what develops.
    Originally posted by b1lanceman
    Hate to say it, but Treo is WAY overpriced, it just won't sell. Particularly the color model. $400 bucks for a black and white PDA with nothing special except wireless? And if Sony came out with a stick that provided wireless net access to the user, the Clie would blow the color treo right out of the water, it'd be absolutely no contest from a Palm users point of view. Not to mention the treo isn't compatible with 3G

If Compaq came out with a sleeve that had CF and 3G wireless instead of CF/cellphone and low speed wireless, I might go for it, as I don't carry around my iPAQ with the sleeve on anyways, size is of little importance as long as it isn't much bigger than a Palm III form factor or so, which is about what the iPAQ is. But considering that 3G is just around the corner, I'll wait and see what develops.
    The Treo is not really intended to target an audience who is looking for a wireless Palm. It is intended for people who want a cell phone, pager, and PDA all in one device. The most important of which, is the cellphone, particularly for business users.

I work around tons of people who would absolutely love this device. In fact, this is the very device many have been looking for. The catch is, none of these people are likely to purchase the TREO themselves. They would love to carry one, but only if the company provided it. If HandSpring is smart, they will not only try to market the device to Corporate America, they will sell them in bulk quantities at a reduced price.

Personally, I have no desire for an all in one device. I love my PDA to much for that.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    Originally posted by GSR13
    The statement that Sony is way ahead of HandERA is not entirely accurate.
    Yea, sorry to I didn't clarify. I meant as in Sony is way ahead in gaining market share. I mean, HandEra will NEVER be able to gain 10% market share in 2 weeks, no matter what they come out with. Everyone knows who Sony is and what they do. They have the money to market. HandEra may have better stuff in development, but no one knows about it. Kinda like Apple and Microsoft in the 80s. Apple had wayyyyyyyy better stuff, but everyone knew about Microsoft and everyone used it. It's too bad.
    nelson.hsieh
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12