1.    #1  
    Alright, I've been tossing up the idea of buying a PDA for my gf for the past week or so.

I keep changing my mind!!! There's so many to choose from it seems like.

First, I wanted to get her the Prism (still a possibility). But, we live in AZ, and she'd be using it outside a bit and I've heard bad things about how hard they are to see in daylight (rarely a day we don't see that here). Plus, personally, I took a look at them, and I think I'd get dizzy looking at the screen all the time.

Enter the idea for buying an Edge. I figure I could probably get one around $200 or so if I print out HS's web page price ($249) and take it into Staples, and use a $40 off a purchase of $200 coupon. Sounds like a good idea to me! Only thing is that it seems from what I've read that these things have pretty crappy QC problems. I don't want to have to be exchanging it for her every month or so for a new one. Maybe they've all been worked out by now?

Now, today, Handspring has the Pro's listed on their site for $249. So, I could probably get one of those for about $200 using the same scheme as above. That may be the one I'm leaning towards right now.

But, I am also tossing up the idea of going with a Palm m125. I can pick one up for quite a little less than $200 (seen 'em on e-bay for $175), and it's expandable as well, like the Handsprings. The only thing is that it doesn't have rechargeable batteries!!!! Arghhhhh!!! Why is this so difficult??? I actually think she'd like the Palm though as it has different covers available for it. Anyone know how long the battery life lasts on one of those puppies? I could probably just buy her a couple NiCad battery sets and a charger and not have to worry about it. With the money I save on the M125, I could probably afford to buy my own as well.

Any recommendations? She's a probation officer and will be using this thing out in the field to keep track of her appointments and to be able to write up reports (probably have to get her a keyboard too). She really doesn't have any use for any of the other extra goodies (other than maybe extra memory if she needs it) like Visorphone, or the digital camera, etc.

Thanks,

Brent
    The best entry level PalmOS device on the market right now is the Sony Clie 320. It's small, sleek, light, expandable, and has the best backlight of any grayscale PDA.

And you can get it for as low as $154.

If color is her choice, I don't recommend the Prism. It has a beautiful color screen, but terrible low resolution. For color, go with the Clie 610 for $299. Or a Compaq iPaq PocketPC for $299, if she wants the bells and whistles like MP3 music.
    Last edited by foo fighter; 01/11/2002 at 08:00 PM.
    She's a probation officer and will be using this thing out in the field to keep track of her appointments and to be able to write up reports (probably have to get her a keyboard too).
    I don't think you could make a bad choice with either the M125, CLIE, Pro or Edge. It is doubtful she'll need the color screen if the use will be for contacts, reports, etc. Battery life on the M125 is about 3-4 weeks with marginal use. Keeping a spare set of alkalines in the briefcase isn't too burdensome.

The problem with the Clie 320 is finding a good case and reasonably priced accessories. If she's in the field she will need a good protective cover. There is an aluminum clam shell case for the Edge which protects it nicely and you have the rechargable batteries.

The M125 may appeal to her for the different colored covers that are available and the MMD slot is a plus as well.

Good luck.
    Originally posted by foo fighter
    The best entry level PalmOS device on the market right now is the Sony Clie 320. It's small, sleek, light, expandable, and has the best backlight of any grayscale PDA.

And you can get it for as low as $154.

If color is her choice, I don't recommend the Prism. It has a beautiful color screen, but terrible low resolution. For color, go with the Clie 610 for $299. Or a Compaq iPaq PocketPC for $299, if she wants the bells and whistles like MP3 music.
    The problem with both the 320 and the 610 is both have apparently been discontinued and are getting harder to find. You could get the CLIE T-415 for around $225.00 at BestBuy after a $25.00 mail-in rebate. I say go for it or the Palm M500 if you are going monochrome.

If you want color, get the 610 if you can find it. If you can find it for $299.00, that is even better.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    In the <$200 range...a neo. For a touch of class (durability, expandability & corporate support)...an m500.

How much do you like her? Maybe one of those solar-powered pocket calculators that come in the blister pack with the matching pen and pencil set would suffice.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by ****-richardson
    In the <$200 range...a neo. For a touch of class (durability, expandability & corporate support)...an m500.

How much do you like her? Maybe one of those solar-powered pocket calculators that come in the blister pack with the matching pen and pencil set would suffice.
    LOL!!!

Well, right now things are going pretty good. I'm trying to stay in the <= $200 or so range.

I've found some m125s on e-bay with a buy it now option of $139. Only thing is that they're returns. But, going that route would let me buy two (for each of us), or a Palm and some accessories for her.

Thanks for all the help.

Brent