Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    ok so it was cute when Palm decided to offer sync support with a crappy media player with 1.0 and everybody with the crappy media player said "ooh I can sync my crappy media player with my new Pre!" now Palm is up to 1.2.1, literally releasing patches to keep up with the crappy media player's designer's repeated attempts to prevent what Palm from ripping off a unique vendor i.d. so on and on this ****ing contest will go with Palm employing bad tech hacking until Apple inevitably encrypts communication between devices.

Palm can't win this, and for as sleazy as Apple has been of late, there's no reason in the world for Palm to waste its time trying to offer support for an Apple product. For Palm users like me, this whole thing has been embarrassing.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Because it's a huge user base, it's really easy to do, it's free advertising, and (this is debatable) Palm thinks they are right and Apple is not playing fair.
    Palm knows what they are doing. Also, it's not like they have devoted major resources to Itunes sync.

My evidence to that fact is that Palm released their major update without Itunes sync, and then updated sync less than a week later. This shows me that Palm is just using Apple/Itunes because everytime they enable sync, it gets headlines. They are focused on providing a great user experience by udpating their OS regularly, and in their spare time, they are teasing the Gorilla in the room.

I love this.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Palm knows what they are doing. Also, it's not like they have devoted major resources to Itunes sync.

My evidence to that fact is that Palm released their major update without Itunes sync, and then updated sync less than a week later.
    It's a hack, and not a very good one. You could have kids in a bedroom in China do the same thing. A company desperately clinging to its dwindling market share should conduct itself a bit better.
    Quote Originally Posted by dead78 View Post
    It's a hack, and not a very good one. You could have kids in a bedroom in China do the same thing. A company desperately clinging to its dwindling market share should conduct itself a bit better.

I think it's just a solution for now (and a fun one). The company was/is desperate and put all its resources into WebOS and honestly didn't have time to create some kind of media sync program from scratch when they can better focus on webOS, so why not just do this for the time being, seeing as how easy it is for them, especially with so many former Apple employees.
    "Last edited by ChappyEight; 09/24/2009 at 11:51 AM. Reason: To bow to zeravla."
    I don't understand why so few people are furious with Apple and their grossly monopolistic practices - isn't that why everyone is supposed to love Apple and hate Microsoft so much? Good for palm undermining that and letting us sync with their stupid product.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zeravla531 View Post
    I think it's just a solution for now (and a fun one). The company was/is desperate and put all its resources into WebOS and honestly didn't have time to create some kind of media sync program from scratch when they can better focus on webOS, so why not just do this for the time being, seeing as how easy it is for them, especially with so many former Apple employees.
    if Palm were a shareware development team working in their spare time to screw with so-called evil empires, then I'd agree with you, but for a company with revenue over $700 million this is all so half-assed and amateurish.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    I don't think Palm wants to have a media sync or any other kind of software to maintain. They control webOS and that is all they want to maintain. Their strategy seems to be to leverage third party solutions that are already well developed and mature, like iTunes, Facebook, Exchange, Google. I think they learned their lesson with Hotsync with PalmOS.
    I think you aren't seeing the big picture. Having it work seemlessly with iTunes is a HUGE selling point. You and me could care less - but the vast majority of people are used to, and have installed, some version of iTunes.

It's a big deal.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bhack View Post
    I think you aren't seeing the big picture. Having it work seemlessly with iTunes is a HUGE selling point. You and me could care less - but the vast majority of people are used to, and have installed, some version of iTunes.

It's a big deal.
    I'm not disputing the saleability of interfacing with iTunes

My issue is with the lousy way Palm has gone about doing it
    Do you know how they hacked it this time in 1.2.1?

if Palm were a shareware development team working in their spare time to screw with so-called evil empires, then I'd agree with you, but for a company with revenue over $700 million this is all so half-assed and amateurish.
    They have already stated they are only going to continue to do this until it takes more than x amount of man hours to fix. I think it was 40. The last time it took them 10 hours to fix. That is NOTHING in development, so it's not like they are tying up precious resources or anything.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bhack View Post
    Having it work seemlessly with iTunes is a HUGE selling point.
    Yeah, for Palm. Previously it was only a huge selling point for Apple, who spent the time/money building up the iTunes eco-system from scratch. I can understand why Apple doesn't want to let Palm adopt this selling point for free.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Do you know how they hacked it this time in 1.2.1?

They have already stated they are only going to continue to do this until it takes more than x amount of man hours to fix. I think it was 40. The last time it took them 10 hours to fix. That is NOTHING in development, so it's not like they are tying up precious resources or anything.
    Yeah, but they could have just put that time towards developing an in-house sync solution. They probably would have something to offer by now.
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    Yeah, but they could have just put that time towards developing an in-house sync solution. They probably would have something to offer by now.
    It takes more than 40 hours work to develop and in-house sync solution. Do you forget that the CEO of Palm is the designer of the iPod?
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    In ten hours? Don't think so. And it seems obvious they don't want their own solution, otherwise they would have done so.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    You guys are funny. It can be done with an AppleScript in about 5 minutes (add a cocoa front end and I'll raise you to 20 minutes). I'm not saying that's what Palm should do, but we're not talking rocket science here. A motivated developer could have a decent capability working in a few hours.
    Last edited by s219; 10/05/2009 at 03:01 PM.
    Why anyone gets upset with Palm over this is absolutely beyond me. Seriously, unless they have a team of talented developers wasting weeks at a time on this, what's the big deal?
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    It takes more than 40 hours work to develop and in-house sync solution. Do you forget that the CEO of Palm is the designer of the iPod?
    Everybody keeps making these claims about Rubinstein, but he "managed" the iPod division. Early iPods were designed by a third-party design house. Later ones were designed by Apple's industrial design group (Jonny Ive, etc).

Rubinstein didn't invent or design the iPod. His expertise was in managing product development. Not design, not inventing. He was highly regarded for getting stuff done as a manager, but that's it.
    Wasn't there already a thread on this?
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Everybody keeps making these claims about Rubinstein, but he "managed" the iPod division. Early iPods were designed by a third-party design house. Later ones were designed by Apple's industrial design group (Jonny Ive, etc).

Rubinstein didn't invent or design the iPod. His expertise was in managing product development. Not design, not inventing. He was highly regarded for getting stuff done as a manager, but that's it.
    given that 99% of the iPod's success has nothing to do with its functionality, he can probably take as much credit for the success of the device as anyone else
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast