Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zeravla531 View Post
    I think it's just a solution for now (and a fun one). The company was/is desperate and put all its resources into WebOS and honestly didn't have time to create some kind of media sync program from scratch when they can better focus on webOS, so why not just do this for the time being, seeing as how easy it is for them, especially with so many former Apple employees.
    So that makes it right?
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tarirene View Post
    I don't understand why so few people are furious with Apple and their grossly monopolistic practices - isn't that why everyone is supposed to love Apple and hate Microsoft so much? Good for palm undermining that and letting us sync with their stupid product.
    Go look up the definition of a monopoly please.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aliss77777 View Post
    well put Scuba Steve! It's all about mindshare. there was a post on this site a few weeks ago, "Palm Pre competes with iPhone for Mindshare." this iTunes synch thing is all about making sure people don't forget the Pre.

as they say "perception is reality." in terms of number of units sold the iphone is ahead of the pre like 50 to 1 or something, or maybe even more. but this iTunes synch thing makes it seem like iPhone is "afraid" of the Pre. which is pretty silly but worth a good laugh nonetheless
    Yeah I'm sure the average person knows this so called battle is even happening.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    And what happens when Apple changes the formatting of their xml in a future release? The same thing that is happening now. The syncing would break and the script would have to be re-written. Back to square-one.

I write a lot of shell scripts for OS X management and Apple changes formatting all the time. Sometimes I think they do it just to **** me off.

Well, it hasn't changed in a long time, and I wouldn't expect it to change anytime soon. Don't forget that many of Apple's own apps of varying vintages/versions/OSes use that file as well, so they're not likely to change it if they can help it.

You could make the core functionality self-sustaining to a large extent. If they deleted an existing data format, then you'd have a to do an update.

Nothing is bullet-proof, but this isn't medical or air traffic control software. If an update is needed, it's a matter of inconvenience at best.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    So are you saying iTunes is a trivial app, or is it Apple's crown jewel that must be protected?
    Nope, I haven't said either.
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tarirene View Post
    I don't understand why so few people are furious with Apple and their grossly monopolistic practices - isn't that why everyone is supposed to love Apple and hate Microsoft so much? Good for palm undermining that and letting us sync with their stupid product.
    +1 bajillion
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123