Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    You guys are funny. It can be done with an AppleScript in about 5 minutes (add a cocoa front end and I'll raise you to 20 minutes). I'm not saying that's what Palm should do, but we're not talking rocket science here. A motivated developer could have a decent capability working in a few hours.
    How do I get Applescript to run on Windows, the platform with the most iTunes installs?
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    You guys are funny. It can be done with an AppleScript in about 5 minutes (add a cocoa front end and I'll raise you to 20 minutes). I'm not saying that's what Palm should do, but we're not talking rocket science here. A motivated developer could have a decent capability working in a few hours.
    So it took Apple 25 minutes to develop iTunes, that's impressive. It takes that long to load onto a computer.
    It looks like it but somehow most of the apps out there still don't do a great job of it. Not saying it can't be done, I looked at the file and there's nothing special about it but apparently it takes time to get right.

iTunes is also cross platform, which would be another complicating factor. Maybe Palm is working on its own solution, I'd think they have a contingency plan but I'm happy they're not wasting time on stuff other than webOS.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    I think that Palm is doing it for two reasons:

1) It let's them say that the Pre synchs with iTunes...and that is a huge issue for some consumers. I have spoken with folks who say that if it doesn't, they wouldn't even consider buying one. You can tell them about other third-party software all day, but you must factor in the most folks just want to plug it in and have it work...not go on a hunt for additional software. Remember all those blinking 12:00s on VCRs? Not everyone likes the tweaking part of gadgetry.

2) The battle gives them free press...and they need all of the free advertising they can get. Apple has vast quantities of cash. Palm not so much. If the battle keeps them on Gizmodo, Engadget, The Consumerist, TechCrunch, and the dozen or so other places that I have seen this fight reported routinely, that has got to help Palm get the word out that they still exist.

$0.02
    Everybody keeps making these claims about Rubinstein, but he "managed" the iPod division. Early iPods were designed by a third-party design house. Later ones were designed by Apple's industrial design group (Jonny Ive, etc).

Rubinstein didn't invent or design the iPod. His expertise was in managing product development. Not design, not inventing. He was highly regarded for getting stuff done as a manager, but that's it.
    not as important as others make him out to be, not as unimportant as you make him out to be.

Straight Dope on the IPod's Birth
    well put Scuba Steve! It's all about mindshare. there was a post on this site a few weeks ago, "Palm Pre competes with iPhone for Mindshare." this iTunes synch thing is all about making sure people don't forget the Pre.

as they say "perception is reality." in terms of number of units sold the iphone is ahead of the pre like 50 to 1 or something, or maybe even more. but this iTunes synch thing makes it seem like iPhone is "afraid" of the Pre. which is pretty silly but worth a good laugh nonetheless

Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    I think that Palm is doing it for two reasons:

1) It let's them say that the Pre synchs with iTunes...and that is a huge issue for some consumers. I have spoken with folks who say that if it doesn't, they wouldn't even consider buying one. You can tell them about other third-party software all day, but you must factor in the most folks just want to plug it in and have it work...not go on a hunt for additional software. Remember all those blinking 12:00s on VCRs? Not everyone likes the tweaking part of gadgetry.

2) The battle gives them free press...and they need all of the free advertising they can get. Apple has vast quantities of cash. Palm not so much. If the battle keeps them on Gizmodo, Engadget, The Consumerist, TechCrunch, and the dozen or so other places that I have seen this fight reported routinely, that has got to help Palm get the word out that they still exist.

$0.02
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Wasn't there already a thread on this?
    There's been more than one thread on this, and more than one blog on this, and more than one news story on this, et cetera...and yet somehow people can't seem to figure out why Palm is still doing it.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    How do I get Applescript to run on Windows, the platform with the most iTunes installs?
    I was implying that it's so simple you could use a scripting language to do it.

As many folks know, you can drag/drop music to the Pre. A script could automate this, using the iTunes XML catalog file to organize and arrange everything. Presto, there's your basic sync capability. From there, build a front end on it if you want.
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Okay folks our friend s219 says developing itunes luje sync is a 5 min task.

Can someone develop it for me .

Here, I am putting my 10 bucks , take it.

I wonder how that efficient manager Ruby missed it ?
    Don't you guys understand Ruby was just a manager , while Ive and Steve are the brains of APPLE.

Oh BTW , Steve Jobs is so smart , he can code software unlike Gates or Woz.

As many folks know, you can drag/drop music to the Pre. A script could automate this, using the iTunes XML catalog file to organize and arrange everything. Presto, there's your basic sync capability. From there, build a front end on it if you want.
    Seriously not trying to be a smarta$$ here, what's stopping you from doing it if it's that easy and so in demand? Is it that you don't see a pay market for it?
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Seriously not trying to be a smarta$$ here, what's stopping you from doing it if it's that easy and so in demand? Is it that you don't see a pay market for it?
    To be honest, it's not real exciting or interesting to me. But I think there is an opportunity for someone who wants to fill this gap, whether as freeware or shareware for a couple bucks. I'm envisioning a simple "click here to sync your iTunes library" kind of app.

I'd suggest using libxml calls to pull relevant info out of the iTunes library catalog file, and then any number of scripting methods to copy the files to the Pre. On OS X, you already have a bunch of command line tools that could do incremental copies to speed up the sync and not even have to worry about checking for existing/duplicate files.

This is a perfect quick and dirty project for someone who wants to show that it can be done, and eliminate the need for the iTunes app to sync (or Palm's workaround).
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Oh BTW , Steve Jobs is so smart , he can code software unlike Gates or Woz.

Actually, SJ is famous for giving a demo to the Apple brass when they were considering buying NeXT. He created a quick demo app right in front of them, using the precursor to today's Xcode tools. The rest is history!
    Seriously...Palm, and users. Your are fighting about a music player/sync solution.

Can we start seeing some real fixes and updates Palm?
    To be honest, it's not real exciting or interesting to me. But I think there is an opportunity for someone who wants to fill this gap, whether as freeware or shareware for a couple bucks. I'm envisioning a simple "click here to sync your iTunes library" kind of app.

I'd suggest using libxml calls to pull relevant info out of the iTunes library catalog file, and then any number of scripting methods to copy the files to the Pre. On OS X, you already have a bunch of command line tools that could do incremental copies to speed up the sync and not even have to worry about checking for existing/duplicate files.

This is a perfect quick and dirty project for someone who wants to show that it can be done, and eliminate the need for the iTunes app to sync (or Palm's workaround).
    Well, I'd say as much time as you've spent commenting in just this thread, it's at least interesting to you, if not exciting. And if it's as quick as you say, you probably could've had it done in the time you've spent here talking about it.

So get hot.
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Well, I'd say as much time as you've spent commenting in just this thread, it's at least interesting to you, if not exciting. And if it's as quick as you say, you probably could've had it done in the time you've spent here talking about it.

So get hot.
    **** just got real.
    "Anyone who quotes me in their signature is an *****." -- StormD
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts

So get hot.
    It would be interesting if there was a programming challenge, or unknowns to explore, or something to prove/disprove. But we already know drag and drop works. We already know you can read the XML catalog file. Putting the two together to make an automated sync is kids stuff!
    It would be interesting if there was a programming challenge, or unknowns to explore, or something to prove/disprove. But we already know drag and drop works. We already know you can read the XML catalog file. Putting the two together to make an automated sync is kids stuff!
    Hell, well maybe i'll get my kid working on it then. Although I don't sync with iTunes, I would think at least half of those 500K Pres out there establishes a demand if not an "interesting technical challenge". And at, say, 99 cents per download that 5 minutes of work you quoted would have him buying his own condo by the weekend. Hello in-house gym!
    And what happens when Apple changes the formatting of their xml in a future release? The same thing that is happening now. The syncing would break and the script would have to be re-written. Back to square-one.

I write a lot of shell scripts for OS X management and Apple changes formatting all the time. Sometimes I think they do it just to **** me off.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    And what happens when Apple changes the formatting of their xml in a future release? The same thing that is happening now. The syncing would break and the script would have to be re-written. Back to square-one.

I write a lot of shell scripts for OS X management and Apple changes formatting all the time. Sometimes I think they do it just to **** me off.
    This is a good point, and while drag and drop is fine with me and I have no personal interest in music syncing it seems like the only way this back and forth will end is when one side gives up (see: 'wars' on drugs and piracy as good examples).

However, if this is Palm's push for minimal solution time and to keep in the eyes of consumers (article after article of Palm saying it once again syncs is very nice) - then that is fine by me. I would much prefer they spend time making webOS a more robust platform and help the developers more and more with further improvements to their SDK and APIs.

A native (in my opinion the more 'open' the better to avoid issues like this in the future) application for syncing would be ideal but it would take time, commitment and most importantly people interested that are capable to actually push it through and make it worthwhile for people to use it instead of locked down solutions we have to hack around like iTunes (also, it would be a much more minor thing if say we have an application like this that supports functionality of syncing with the itunes library catalog file through the use of a plug-in - that way if something breaks there is still the main alternative and an option for people clinging with itunes or have multiple devices such as a pre and an ipod)

Kind of went off on a bit of a tangent there, TLDR; Cheap hack works for now and makes people that want the functionality happy, let Palm make the platform as a whole bigger before criticizing them too badly.
    So are you saying iTunes is a trivial app, or is it Apple's crown jewel that must be protected?
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast