Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Palm fixed sync with iTunes 9.0.1... Haha
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    This is so Elementary School, I feel embarrassed holding Palm Now quit this nit picking battle
  3.    #3  
    why would you feel embarrassed? I just think its funny.
    wonder how they did it this time?
    its an excellent marketing tool...thats the main point...
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    i agree! this whole itunes sync battle just adds more publicity to palm. its like palm being the underdog, and you just can't help but to root for it. interesting marketing strategy.
    yes, very clever strategy... they had the itunes fix in hours after apple last broke it but they got their hands slapped by USB forum so it wasnt released in the last update.

But they missed their Sept 24 app store date that was leaked out to developers and they missed their whisper date of yesterday for app store and people are getting restless...

Palm... "Let's put out the itunes fix out real quick and get people to cheer on the palm versus apple itunes war. it's a useless fix that apple will counter someway and kill it but it will give us a little more time to get the app store up and running."

it's just an idea but at least they came out with something eh?

enjoy the Kool-Ai.... i mean update.

btw, did it fix the app limit memory error?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff80 View Post
    i agree! this whole itunes sync battle just adds more publicity to palm. its like palm being the underdog, and you just can't help but to root for it. interesting marketing strategy.
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Forget the strategy , PALM should release their own version of the media sync and stop fixing the iTunes sync.
    This is going no where.

It looks to me like PALM is challenging APPLE at the intellectual level to come up with a version that they cannot break into.

Enough of boasting that it took few minutes to fix the iTunes sync.

PALM, Will ya fix that senile Dialer APP please ?
    Again, I think this is a terrible strategy for palm and they should use the approved API to develop their own solution.

Forum geeks may know not to update itunes or appreciate the 'war'... but joe public... the hundreds of thousands of owners out there that dont read forums and have their itunes auto updated will not appreciate the war and their phones being broken with itunes all the time.

people will say 'why is my phone always having compatibilty issues with itunes?' and notice their friends with blackberrys and other phones dont and those owners will say they have a cool program that helps sync with itunes and never gets messed up with updates. then they will ask why 'palm' doesnt do that too and get very tired of it.

there will be people that agree with forum people rooting on this war. but i thnk mainly there will be many people that see it as palm's responsibility to provide a stable solution to another companys product.

As word comes out that their has always been an API to make this happen instead of the cat and mouse game, it will come back to haunt palm... they should have created their solution and move on. they could have spent their time and have one out already.

they have so many other issues that are pressing like getting the app store out... like done yesterday? making their own solution would have made all pre owners happy and move on.
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I agree , fix the damn thing with a PALM media sync solution once for all.

They should work with APPLE on getting the APIs.
    If they don't know how to do it , I say pick a phone , call RIMM ask how they did it.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I agree , fix the damn thing with a PALM media sync solution once for all.

They should work with APPLE on getting the APIs.
    If they don't know how to do it , I say pick a phone , call RIMM ask how they did it.
    The beauty of the iTunes Music XML library file is that it's self-explanatory:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    	<key>Major Version</key><integer>1</integer>
    	<key>Minor Version</key><integer>1</integer>
    	<key>Application Version</key><string>9.0</string>
    	<key>Features</key><integer>5</integer>
    	<key>Show Content Ratings</key><true/>
    	<key>Music Folder</key><string>file://localhost/Users/me/Music/iTunes/iTunes%20Music/</string>
    	<key>Library Persistent ID</key><string>4569FE9387D6212A</string>
    	<key>Tracks</key>
    	<dict>
    		<key>583</key>
    		<dict>
    			<key>Track ID</key><integer>583</integer>
    			<key>Name</key><string>Forget About It</string>
    			<key>Artist</key><string>Alison Krauss</string>
    			<key>Album</key><string>Forget About It</string>
    			<key>Genre</key><string>Country</string>
    			<key>Kind</key><string>MPEG audio file</string>
    			<key>Size</key><integer>4173481</integer>
    			<key>Total Time</key><integer>208561</integer>
    			<key>Track Number</key><integer>2</integer>
    			<key>Track Count</key><integer>11</integer>
    			<key>Date Modified</key><date>2001-08-13T18:56:23Z</date>
    			<key>Date Added</key><date>2002-01-09T01:57:51Z</date>
    			<key>Bit Rate</key><integer>160</integer>
    			<key>Sample Rate</key><integer>44100</integer>
    			<key>Play Count</key><integer>14</integer>
    			<key>Play Date</key><integer>3328377772</integer>
    			<key>Play Date UTC</key><date>2009-06-21T01:22:52Z</date>
    			<key>Persistent ID</key><string>07578BB881491DE4</string>
    			<key>Track Type</key><string>File</string>
    			<key>File Type</key><integer>1297106739</integer>
    			<key>File Creator</key><integer>1752133483</integer>
    			<key>Location</key><string>file://localhost/Users/me/Music/iTunes/iTunes%20Music/Alison%20Krauss/Forget%20About%20It/Forget%20About%20It.mp3</string>
    			<key>File Folder Count</key><integer>4</integer>
    			<key>Library Folder Count</key><integer>1</integer>
    		</dict>
    You can literally look at the file and then know how to pull out information with an open source parsing library like libXML.

I really think Palm's only goal here is publicity and perhaps trying to make Apple look bad. Because if they wanted to do this the easy way, they could have done it ten times over by now. Heck, I have spent more time arguing about this issue than it would have taken *me* to do.
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Then do it and submit to homebrew.
    I can assure most in this forum will
    try it. I am not sure about mainstream
    folks though.
    Palm is fighting a losing battle when it comes to this Itunes matter. They have wasted a lot of time and energy on this. The final result and thats what matters, it not going to end pretty for Palm.

Who really wants to buy a Pre for the itunes syncing when one week it works and the next week it doesn't. To much drama.

I've copied and pasted the below info. I agree with it.

08:50 AM

Palm has morons at the helm. Instead of producing their own software that links directly to the iTunes directory (which applications like Songbird do presently), they're dicking around trying to break into someone elses proprietary software. Is Palm so desperate and incompetent that they can't even put the time towards getting people to develop a good media management app for their own hardware? Very sad Palm, sad indeed.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bipoler View Post
    This is so Elementary School, I feel embarrassed holding Palm Now quit this nit picking battle
    I agree this is quite juvenile if you ask me. Instead of Palm releasing updates to one up apple and itunes they should be releasing substance. Seems like we have so many ppl just happy to get a release they could care less what it is. I'm sorry but that just doesnt cut it...
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    I agree that this is a clever move on the part of Palm. This somehow tags Palm along with Apple's popularity. Juvenile? I don't think so. Genius? Definitely. Ruby is after all the man behind the success of iPod and I think he knows how the game is being played. Keep it up Palm team!
    Last edited by jewel; 10/03/2009 at 09:40 AM.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wickcity View Post
    Palm is fighting a losing battle when it comes to this Itunes matter. They have wasted a lot of time and energy on this. The final result and thats what matters, it not going to end pretty for Palm.
    Um, where do you get the idea that Palm has wasted a lot of time and energy on iTunes sync. They stated thenselves that it only took 2.5 hours the first time Apple broke it and this time it would take a little longer but not much.
    actually it was Jobs that was behind the success of iPod. And jobs was the person who is primarily credited for the UI. I think ruby found the small hard drives that made the hw design possible.

Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    I agree that this is a clever move on the part of Palm. This somehow tags Palm along with Apple's popularity. Juvenile? I don't think so. Genius? Definitely. Ruby is after all the man behind the success of iPod and I think he knows how the game is being played. Keep it up Palm team!
    Last edited by donm527; 10/03/2009 at 10:13 AM.
    It's about time someone push Apple around, they've gotten a free pass for far too long. Way to go Palm!

Make itunes play with its stepbrother Pre.
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
    I think it's funny, but only because I don't use itunes, if I did it would be kind of annoying.
    actually apple ups palm!!!! itunes sync appears to have cost us pre users lots of functionality for another week
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast