Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I might agree with your post except the 25% iTunes market share thing in US.

I believe iTunes has more than 50% market share in the US.
    Where did you get your numbers from ?

I was thinking of adding "approximately" but since you called me out... :-)

not the greatest of references, but at least its 1 at that.... (oh and they got it from here....)

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10311907-37.html
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPre View Post
    If Walmart sold 25% of all music in the US, but the music would only then play on Walmart-branded CD players, the FTC would get involved.
    To be fair, the music you download from the iTunes store, if it's DRM-free, will play on any player. You'd just need to use a different method to get it on your player. I do however think Apple has fostered this perception that you HAVE to have an iPod to play the music you've downloaded by locking down iTunes.
    you all steal music/movies/tv shows anyways, why are you still arguing?
    I'm not sure what that has to do with Palm sneaking into iTunes ... ?
    Typically, computer-related companies brag about how compatible their software is with various products since that allows for more people to use their product. Versatility is a good thing.

When's the last time a company bragged about how it's product was limited in it's use? I can't help but think that Apple is concerned about people choosing other (that is, excellent, yet less expensive) devices.
    I think it is an excellent strategy all the way around. It shows Palm's dedication to their customers. At the same time, how do you know they aren't developing their own software in the meantime? Keep fixing the broken iTunes sync, while developing their own to be launched when ready?

You never know...
    Ive been using iTunes just fine even with the 1.2 update since i never allowed iTunes to update from v8, so now that I have 1.2.1, i guess i'll be updating, finally. Just make sure you never let iTunes update, when another one comes you can be sure it will block you from using it...
    I always wonder about people who protest that others shouldn't do something that is beneficial to many and harmful to none. Seems like a waste of time, time that could be spent doing more positive things.

These are the same people claiming Palm wastes time allowing iTunes synch, even though it probably takes them a few hours at most to do it.

My first computer was a Mac and I post this on one. I upgraded to 9.0.1 yesterday from 8.2 because of the synch fix. I'm happy.

When on the road, I tether my Pre to a Dell Mini 10V netbook I purchased recently for $280.00. Thanks to hackers elsewhere, I was able to install Leopard OSX on it and it works great.

I can now synch my old 60 gb photo iPod, my iPod Touch, and my Pre to either my desktop Macintosh or my netbook Hackintosh. Don't worry, be happy. Thanks Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    I always wonder about people who protest that others shouldn't do something that is beneficial to many and harmful to none. Seems like a waste of time, time that could be spent doing more positive things.
    I think a lot of those who protest are Apple fan boys who swear allegiance to a corporation that doesn't give a care about them. I've been an Apple user for almost 15 years now, but I have never understood the whole cult mentality of fellow Mac users.
    Last edited by jrstinkfish; 10/04/2009 at 02:59 PM.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    this guy is obviously jobs proctologist. Noone would get this upset about a sync solution without having skin in the game. How lame. Obviously he is scared by the effect on his 401k or something. Either way moron, I can drag and drop or sync with the latest itunes with my pre. Ha!
    Hey moron, whipe Ruby off your mouth!
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    Or they're allowing Pre customers to use their syncing software of choice rather than forcing one on them. Seems to me the Pre customers who use it really appreciate it.
    Just like I'm able to use my video games of choice when I go from a PS3 to Xbox or I when I move from a Blackberry to a Pre or how I am able to use HP's software with my Cannon Printrer.

Because the platforms are not compatible. None of these companies block another from using it. But in the case of iTunes, you're merely transferring MP3s with the benefit of having them organized in a familiar application, iTunes.
    Is there a reason why an iphone doesn't work with the Zune Desktop, why doesnt a Palm Pre work with RIM's syncing solution. I would say those companies are also blocking other devices but I guess it's only blocking when Apple does it. Some of you ******* are hilarious.

I meant the party is over for Apple locking down iTunes. Palm has likely opened the floodgates, and the fact that the only thing Apple is doing about it is releasing updates that break compatibility tells me that Palm isn't doing anything illegal or worthy of a suit. Apple just needs to open up the iTunes app to any MP3 player, collect licensing fees, and everyone is happy. Except you, I'm sure.
    The party is over for who, say who? You Palm ******* don't make me laugh. The only company doing this is Palm because they are natural born leeches. Respectable companies like RIM and Nokia do things the proper way!

And that's exactly what they're trying to be. Apple will cave eventually. Palm is the first annoying fly -- there will be others, and I welcome that. iTunes is a great application for buying and organizing music -- it can only benefit Apple to have EVERY MP3 player owner buying music from their store.
    We'll see who caves in first, none of this is affecting Apple's ipod and iphone users. It's only making it incovenient for the customers of leeches like Palm. We'll see who caves in first. Apple has the money to fight this till the end.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by faculak99 View Post
    Adjel,

You are an angry little man.

Don't throw hate in the equation as an us versus them. I own a 3g iPhone, Apple Powermac, and a shuffle. Apple has plenty of my money over the years.

The argument is not that Palm should make Apple allow them to sync with their software. It is about equal and fair trade. As I have said many times before in many of these forums, Apple is and always will be a software company first. They are making every gain that they have made with iTunes, Quicktime, and Safari take a step back when they sit on an ideal that serves no one. iTunes, according to the Market Firm Research, since the addition of video sales has recorded over 200 million users. The idea was to gain market share with iTunes, not reject opportunities for more pieces of the pie. Every keynote in the last four years has began with how many purchased downloads iTunes has acquired for the year.

Palm is such a small piece of the pie, it is foolish to not take advantage of Palm's market. It would not surprise me to see Apple acquire or absolve Palm altogether. Watch how you use the word leeches - lol - or have we forgotten the technology that Apple amazingly acquired for under 100k from a starving kid in college, and the input device of the mouse from Xerox product development.

LOL

Just quit arguing and enjoy the technology that is available. Competition is a good thing. I have no affiliation with either group, but rather enjoy the banter, and more importantly ENJOY the technology. I still have my original bag phone if you really want to be independent of any of these marketing ploys with any company

My last plea is to Apple. It is ridiculous to think that you can be the only smartphone out there. Please let more in to the iTunes store, so more people can buy more songs, video, podcasts, tv shows, and apps. Sincerely, an Apple stockholder. Make me money biiiaaaattttch -

LOL
    LOL so why don't you go and advice Steve Jobs and company who have accomplished so much in the last decade and now have around 30 billion in the bank. Apple is sure dying for money from leeches like Palm!
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    For every article like this we have others like this:

http://hunter.pairsite.com/blogs/20091004/
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanlc2005 View Post
    personally after reading all the threads on this... palm is correct in doing all this. palm is simply pointing out that apple is wrong in whats its doing. i think palm should work with microsoft on this one and see if microsoft would put an update on its computers to block access to ipods.
    apple: but no... the ipod should be free to work with windows or mac using itunes...
    microsoft: well were blocking access from using our product just as much as your blocking palm to use yours
    palm:yeah!!
    applek fine, we'll be good
    What an idiotic rant, what does Microsoft gain from blocking access to the millions of ipod users out there and why the heck would Microsoft even give a damn about Palm. Microsoft is a software company who sell software, Apple is a hardware company selling hardware. Microsoft doesn't sell computers, they sell Windows. Apple sells ipods and iphones, get that through your thick head.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by firefinder24 View Post
    Adjei -

I don't understand the argument. Palm is doing nothing illegal by cloning an Apple Vendor ID. Unethical possibly, but not illegal. Worst case scenario the Implementer's Forum will kick Palm out of their "group" for cloning a vendor ID and Palm could no longer display the USB logo on their packaging. But that's it.

Personally I find this ironic. It used to be Apple being the little guy swatting at Microsoft, and now Palm is doing the same to Apple - kind of funny.

P.S., I typed this on my Mac Book while listening to my iPod Touch with music on it I downloaded on my Pre and synched over to iTunes thanks to Palm and Apples Vendor I.D. Oh Yeah, and I paid half the price I would have if I bought the music on iTunes
    If it wasn't illegal why aren't respectable companies like RIM and Nokia resorting to such tactics?
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kbritt31 View Post
    I hope you buy every single mp3 that you own, don't stream illegally, don't take friend's burned copies of movies/music, don't share your music in anyway, and don't download any pirated software.

I highly doubt it though, so where is your caring about intellectual property then? Oh right, you only use that argument when its to your advantage. Go back to not paying musicians/record companies/actors/film companies for their work

(and this goes to everyone on their intellectual property/copyright high horse)
    How do you know I do all this *******!
    Last edited by Adjei; 10/04/2009 at 03:22 PM.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    The USB-IF decission is a joke: "What Apple does blocking devices via software is not USB-IF is not our problem, but Palm preventing this via software is our problem." WOW!
    It's a joke because they smacked your precious Palm in the face for being petty hackers?
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    It doesn't matter. It isn't necessary for Palm to use iTunes to sync the Pre. There are plenty of free programs like sharepod and others that will do that and keep Pre users happy; but free publicity doesn't just happen on a regular basis w/o thought and planning.

Every time Apple changes their software just to kick off the Pre, Pre or Palm gets news. Whenever Palm mimics the iPod ID to get it to work again, more free publicity.

If Apple would leave it alone, the new would be a flash and over. Their failure to do so, keeps Palm in the news and all they have to do is wait for Apple to bring them back to everyone's attention. It makes people wonder: "What has that Pre got that makes Apple use this much trouble and resources."
    Obviously the only reason anybody gives a damn about Palm these days is they've attached their name to Apple like an annoying itch that won't go way. What a way to get free publicity. Utterly pathetic.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPre View Post
    quoted.
    Seriously, Apple sells 57% of all online music...and has 25% market share for all music sold in the U.S. These numbers are insane...especially when one considers that delivered product then drops into an iTunes ecosystem targeted for just their devices.

If Walmart sold 25% of all music in the US, but the music would only then play on Walmart-branded CD players, the FTC would get involved.

Sure, you can move iTunes-purchased non-DRMed music to other MP3 players using a range of other tools or processes, but the fact that Apple goes out of their way to block the client-side of their store from device manufacturers shows the monopolistic spirit in play here.

iTunes is *not* part of an iPod. It is the front end for the Apple store that sells 25% of all music sold in the US. The iTunes ecosystem is a store...yet Apple also uses it to an unfair advantage by making it both the store *and* the iPod synch software...thereby equating the store with a device family...and raising barriers for all other device manufacturers...while doing everything that they can to leave consumers with the impression that the store is only compatible with iPod devices.

No one expects Apple to go out of their way to add compatibility for other music players and Palm hasnt asked them to do so, but they are doing the opposite here - they are going out of their way to block it...which is *why* Palm has gone rogue.

It's not the USB Implementers Forum's job to broker monopolistic issues. Their opinion may be quite sound and valid within their narrow scope...but there are larger issues at play here...and it is time for the FTC to get involved.

Until then, go Palm...you plucky little rogues!

Numbers are high enough that the iTunes ecosystem represents a barrier to fair competition for music devices.
    Where are you getting those numbers from, or are you just pulling them out of your ***. Even if those numbers are correct, there is no law stating Apple has to support every device on earth which is what people like you are advocating. Last time I checked Apple isn't stopping you from putting songs from the itunes music store onto you Pre. They just don't want you using their syncing feature which is different from the itunes store with your Pre. Get that through your head.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    I think a lot of those who protest are Apple fan boys who swear allegiance to a corporation that doesn't give a care about them. I've been an Apple user for almost 15 years now, but I have never understood the whole cult mentality of fellow Mac users.
    And the people advocating for a leeching company like Palm are what?
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast