Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    They do have an API. I think I have said it a dozen times already. The iTunes media library is completely open, with a readable XML catalog file. Other companies (Blackberry) already use this approach to sync their devices to a customer's iTunes media. Palm chose not to take this open, public approach.
    I'm surprised you wrote this.

Did you not read the question that was asked? Did you not read my reply? Did you not read my other replies in this thread?

For quite some time I have been saying that Palm should write their own sync software and parse the iTunes XML Library like everyone else instead of playing this cat and mouse game with Apple. However the partial quote of my answer that you posted has nothing to do with parsing an XML file since I was talking about the possibility of Apple creating an API that allows access to their iTunes application.

This is different from parsing the XML Library file and it would allow for true integration with iTunes by any device that used the API.

BTW the iTunes XML Library file isn't an API which is why I don't describe it as such.
    How long before the European Union hauls Apple into court over their blocking of access to iTunes? Apple forced to spinoff iTunes?

Apple is the new Microsoft. Microsoft was forced to decouple Internet Explorer.

Apple's own success makes them an anti-trust target.

Stay tuned.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayix312 View Post
    ******** analogy. Compare the user base of itunes users to the people that have application's from Apple's App store. Now you should also realize that Palm is not hacking into itunes to fix sync with it. It is fixing the Pre to work with itunes. I am sure if you wanted to get App's from Apple then you would have to hack into the App store so it will allow the Pre to have access to it's catalog. Palm can do nothing about this as this would be blatantly illegal. However their is nothing stated anywhere that says it is illegal to fix your own device so it can sync with another competitors software.
    What you are saying is akin to saying it's alright for RIM to hack into iTunes and get their devices to sync with it instead of developing thei o solution like they just released, or it is ok for Apple to hack into Zune desktop because they don't have anything like the Zune Pass which their customers want, or it is ok for Cannon printers to hack into HP Software because HP printers are popular. Come again please.
    No one cares about the hacking except you.

Palm knows that Apple is susceptible to anti-trust actions in Europe. It wants to put pressure on Apple to either open iTunes so that Palm doesn't have to make their own.

Or they want Europe to make Apple divest iTunes into an open system.

Palm wins either way.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by egretman View Post
    How long before the European Union hauls Apple into court over their blocking of access to iTunes? Apple forced to spinoff iTunes?

Apple is the new Microsoft. Microsoft was forced to decouple Internet Explorer.

Apple's own success makes them an anti-trust target.

Stay tuned.
    Nonsense you know you can get songs from iTunes onto your Pre. Apple just wants Papm to get of their lazy behinds and develop their own solution like RIM instead of turning into petty hackers. Palm can go to whomever they want. They already ran to the USB group and got the smackdoqn they deserve for being lazy leeches.
    In 2007, the European pressure against Apple and iTunes helped get rid of DRM.

Now Palm is angling for a completely independent iTunes.

Geaux Palm.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    No one cares about the hacking except you.

Palm knows that Apple is susceptible to anti-trust actions in Europe. It wants to put pressure on Apple to either open iTunes so that Palm doesn't have to make their own.

Or they want Europe to make Apple divest iTunes into an open system.

Palm wins either way.
    Palm cared enough about hacking to advertise a hack as a feature. Yes let Palm go report to the EU. They will get the smackdown they deserve just like when they reported Apple to the USB group. Bloody leeches.
    Palm is using hacking brilliantly. They paint themselves as the little guy against the big evil empire of Apple.

This is just the way Apple portrayed itself against Microsoft a while back.

Now Apple has gotten big enough to want to protect what it has.

But now Palm is the little guy tearing down the giant.
    Palm ignored the USB group to rehack in. Did you forget?
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    In 2007, the European pressure against Apple and iTunes helped get rid of DRM.

Now Palm is angling for a completely independent iTunes.

Geaux Palm.
    What else do we expect from Palm *******. You know Apple was the first store to have DRM free music. It was the labels holding on for DRM, go learn something new before spewing crap. What else do we expect from ******* supporting leeches.
    Yes, but the European Union threaten anti-trust action against apple and helped Apple break DRM with the music labels.

That is good. You and I love that.

But now Palm is keeping iTunes sync alive in hopes because both Apple and Palm are releasing their phones in Europe soon.

Palm wants an iTunes battle there. Because it knows that Europe will be on palm's side.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Palm ignored the USB group to rehack in. Did you forget?
    Yes and I guess that fact that they got smacked down for being the leeches they are.
    Apple is in real danger here and must play this just right.

It could be forced to divest iTunes. It's own success used against them.

That's how anti-trust works.
    Remember Europe sees it as American monster companies dominating their turf.

Apple is a hero company in America. But not there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adjei View Post
    What you are saying is akin to saying it's alright for RIM to hack into iTunes and get their devices to sync with it instead of developing thei o solution like they just released, or it is ok for Apple to hack into Zune desktop because they don't have anything like the Zune Pass which their customers want, or it is ok for Cannon printers to hack into HP Software because HP printers are popular. Come again please.
    In what way is what I described illegal? So YES it is alright. Most of your analogies are horrible anyway. The only people ****ed off about this are apple fan-boys. Suck it up = - ).

Edit: Also you need to read what I wrote again. PALM IS NOT HACKING itunes as you seem to think with this comment.

What you are saying is akin to saying it's alright for RIM to hack into iTunes
    No it's akin to RIM fixing their Blackberrys to sync with itunes. RIM isn't touching itunes and modifying it to allow their Blackberrys. That would be illegal.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Adjei View Post
    What else do we expect from Palm *******. You know Apple was the first store to have DRM free music. It was the labels holding on for DRM, go learn something new before spewing crap. What else do we expect from ******* supporting leeches.

Anyway, I don't understand why Apple wouldn't want as many devices as possible to sync to ITunes. Thier excuse is that if people want to sync to ITunes the will have to buy an IPod. Who buys an IPod just so they can use ITunes? You buy an IPod because you WANT an Ipod. I don't buy a car and always take it to the dealer to get the oil changed. I do it myself or take it to someone else. And I don't buy the car based on the fact that the dealer has the best oil changers out there. Seems petty on Apple's part.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Yes, but the European Union threaten anti-trust action against apple and helped Apple break DRM with the music labels.

That is good. You and I love that.

But now Palm is keeping iTunes sync alive in hopes because both Apple and Palm are releasing their phones in Europe soon.

Palm wants an iTunes battle there. Because it knows that Europe will be on palm's side.
    Yeah Apple colluded with the labels to have DRM on songs. I guess that's why Apple was the one pushing for DRM free songs and the first store to have them with the labels holding out. Real sound logic.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Apple is in real danger here and must play this just right.

It could be forced to divest iTunes. It's own success used against them.

That's how anti-trust works.
    Oh so now it's the European Union that is supposed to save Palm from evil Apple. I thought it was supposed to be the USB group.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Remember Europe sees it as American monster companies dominating their turf.

Apple is a hero company in America. But not there.
    Yes and I guess the European Union sees Palm as a shining beacon of Europe.
    Yes, and Apple used the European anti-trust to bust the music industry.

But Apple knows how this came is played. And they are not suing Palm over sync because they know a battle in Europe is coming.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast