Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    ...and charge a licensing fee...
    Those could be the magic words for Mr. Jobs.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    2 is the more important one though. First of all, as you say, they allow it through an API, so what's the difference? This is all about the average customer. OF COURSE most of us here can install a third-party connector type software to sync with iTunes. The issue is, that the mass market doesn't want to be bothered to figure stuff like that out. By having native sync support, it provides a better customer experience, and makes no difference with regards to the end-results to Apple. Either way, they're not using Apple hardware.
    Palm needs to be responsible to develop sync software for their own devices. It is neither fair to Apple, or reliable for Palm, to be suggesting that customers use Apple software to sync a Palm device.

Besides, what idiotic strategy is it to have your device's only sync solution depending on a fierce competitor?

You have to realize that iTunes gives Apple an advantage -- it gives their own devices a very good, integrated, software sync solution. They spend time and money making that possible. If any old competitor comes along and uses iTunes for their hardware, that is unfair to Apple. It takes away a selling point of their devices.

To be honest, if Palm took the time to write their own media sync software and left it up to the customer to choose between that or iTunes, then it would be a whole different ball game, and your point #2 would make sense. But that's not the case at all. Palm basically has no music sync capability of their own, so they are borrowing a competitor's.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    Remember that it is the user who is connecting their Pre to their iTunes. Palm only provides a compatible device. This is about how Apple treats its users.
    Ah, but Apple is not stopping you from accessing your media. You're free to do so. Unfortunately, the company that sold you the Pre has no sync solution to offer you.

I really think that your frustration needs to be directed at Palm. What's next, blame Apple because there aren't any good games on the Pre? Seriously, Apple has zillions of them available in iTunes. Maybe Palm can rip those off too.
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    Palm needs to be responsible to develop sync software for their own devices. It is neither fair to Apple, or reliable for Palm, to be suggesting that customers use Apple software to sync a Palm device.

Besides, what idiotic strategy is it to have your device's only sync solution depending on a fierce competitor?

You have to realize that iTunes gives Apple an advantage -- it gives their own devices a very good, integrated, software sync solution. They spend time and money making that possible. If any old competitor comes along and uses iTunes for their hardware, that is unfair to Apple. It takes away a selling point of their devices.

To be honest, if Palm took the time to write their own media sync software and left it up to the customer to choose between that or iTunes, then it would be a whole different ball game, and your point #2 would make sense. But that's not the case at all. Palm basically has no music sync capability of their own, so they are borrowing a competitor's.
    They aren't borrowing ***** all Palm is letting you do is sync with itunes. They are basically letting us sync with whoever the hell we want. People are pretending like Palm is physically changing itunes to allow them to sync which is completely untrue. Their is nothing wrong or illegal by modifying your own device to allow it to sync with itunes. It seems as though people don't get this. Palm isn't changing itunes Palm is changing the Pre. Who knows if Palm is using this until they develop their own sync method. In either case you people need to get off your high horse and stop drinking the apple kool-aid.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duo View Post
    I asked myself the same thing at first. Why wouldn't Apple create a complete API that would allow ALL their party vendors including independent application makers to integrate with iTunes.

They do have an API. I think I have said it a dozen times already. The iTunes media library is completely open, with a readable XML catalog file. Other companies (Blackberry) already use this approach to sync their devices to a customer's iTunes media. Palm chose not to take this open, public approach.
    I really think that your frustration needs to be directed at Palm. What's next, blame Apple because there aren't any good games on the Pre? Seriously, Apple has zillions of them available in iTunes. Maybe Palm can rip those off too.[/QUOTE]

Are you for real? Our frustration should be at Palm? This analogy is $^%&$*!! Thanks for the update Palm & keep it up!
    They do have an API. I think I have said it a dozen times already. The iTunes media library is completely open, with a readable XML catalog file. Other companies (Blackberry) already use this approach to sync their devices to a customer's iTunes media. Palm chose not to take this open, public approach.
    Well Palm chose to make their device compatible with the program that iTunes users are more comfortable using. I would personally prefer to use one program for all my media rather than two, with that one being a far more mature, user-friendly, and tested product than Palm could ever hope to develop, and Palm provided that for Pre customers.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Next on Palm's agenda should be to hack into iTunes to enable the Pre to have access to the apps on iTunes. After all the app store is the biggest name in the game and it's only right for Palm to have access to the biggest name in the game which most people are familiar with. It's all for the good of the consumers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adjei View Post
    Next on Palm's agenda should be to hack into iTunes to enable the Pre to have access to the apps on iTunes. After all the app store is the biggest name in the game and it's only right for Palm to have access to the biggest name in the game which most people are familiar with. It's all for the good of the consumers.
    Lame! Another fantastic analogy...
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayix312 View Post
    They aren't borrowing ***** all Palm is letting you do is sync with itunes. They are basically letting us sync with whoever the hell we want. People are pretending like Palm is physically changing itunes to allow them to sync which is completely untrue. Their is nothing wrong or illegal by modifying your own device to allow it to sync with itunes. It seems as though people don't get this. Palm isn't changing itunes Palm is changing the Pre. Who knows if Palm is using this until they develop their own sync method. In either case you people need to get off your high horse and stop drinking the apple kool-aid.
    You can sync with iTunes media without modifying the device. Apple does not prevent media access at all, nor do they require that devices spoof an iPod to access the media.

The problem is that Palm did not take the open approach. They could have given customers a more reliable, in-house music sync solution long ago.

The only reasons to take this current approach are for publicity, or because the feel the need to **** off Apple, or because they were not capable of developing their own sync software. None of these paint Palm in a good light IMHO.
    You're comparing DRM-free MP3s to Apple's iTouch/iPhone apps? Huh?
    it's a silly analogy but even then, what's wrong with using anything you paid for?
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    You're comparing DRM-free MP3s to Apple's iTouch/iPhone apps? Huh?
    No I am comparing hackng and using something and justifying using it because it's popular. Why isn't Palm entitled to using the app store, why it's pretty popular.

Also I wonder why Palm isn't helping Zune Desktop users who have Pres with syncing, after all Palm is all about the consumer.
    Ah, but Apple is not stopping you from accessing your media. You're free to do so. Unfortunately, the company that sold you the Pre has no sync solution to offer you.

I really think that your frustration needs to be directed at Palm. What's next, blame Apple because there aren't any good games on the Pre? Seriously, Apple has zillions of them available in iTunes. Maybe Palm can rip those off too.
    I'm not frustrated in the least. I actually bought and use Salling sync.

But if I wanted to use iTunes it's nobody's business how I use it with my own computer, device and media files.

What you don't seem to understand is that Apple itself builds its own software and products to be interoperable with important technologies it doesn't own.
    Palm isn't asking to use the iTunes store. Palm doesn't care if you bought the MP3s via the iTunes Store or not. Palm is merely offering users the option of using their existing media organization tools, no matter which one you decide to use, to move songs to their phone.

If there were enough users to justify Palm adding Zune Desktop functionality, then I'm sure they would. As it stands, more people use iTunes, so it's only logical for Palm to focus their resources on that.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Positive PRPRPR $from$ $who$, $Palm$ *******, $don$'$t$ $make$ $me$ $laugh$. $Show$ $me$ $all$ $the$ $positive$ $PR$ $Palm$ $is$ $getting$ $from$ $this$ $debacle$.
    Seriously. Outside of current Pre owners then who exactly sees this as a good thing?

The idea "there's no such thing as bad PRPRPR&$quot$; $was$ $created$ $by$ $a$ $person$ $who$ $completely$ ****** $something$ $up$. $True$, $the$ $first$ $time$ $Palm$ $got$ $into$ $iTunes$ $it$ $was$ $positive$ $PR$, $but$ $once$ $it$ $became$ $a$ $war$ $then$ $every$ $subsequent$ $move$ $only$ $makes$ $Palm$ $look$ $worse$.

Think about it. If you're an iTunes user then what will you be more drawn to. The product with native iTunes support or the one that has to crowbar in and constantly gets pushed out. Consumers dont need this headache so palm should consider bringing back palm desktop for PIM, media and app sync/backup.
    Last edited by Urkel; 10/03/2009 at 03:30 PM.
    Edited cause I can't tell who is serious and not here

anyways... They sure are telling the USB forum that manufacturer or product id is useless and doesn't need to be followed. Which is true... probably no other device that they will plug into that will care that it days Apple instead of Palm and affect usage.
    Last edited by donm527; 10/03/2009 at 03:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Seriously. Outside of current Pre owners then who exactly sees this as a good thing?

The idea "there's no such thing as bad PRPRPR&$quot$; $was$ $created$ $by$ $a$ $person$ $who$ $completely$ ****** $something$ $up$. $True$, $the$ $first$ $time$ $Palm$ $got$ $into$ $iTunes$ $it$ $was$ $positive$ $PR$, $but$ $once$ $it$ $became$ $a$ $war$ $then$ $every$ $subsequent$ $move$ $only$ $makes$ $Palm$ $look$ $worse$.

Think about it. If you're an iTunes user then what will you be more drawn to. The product with native iTunes support or the one that has to crowbar in and constantly gets pushed out. Consumers dont need this headache.
    If someone bought a Pre mainly for iTunes support, then they bought it for the wrong reason. I'm going to generalize here and say that for the majority of Pre users, iTunes support was a bonus, not something they based their buying decision on.

As for it making Palm look worse, I don't see how. You've got a smaller company taking on a much bigger company, trading jabs with them and not backing down. Americans love seeing the little guy stick it to The Man. Who could've guessed 10 years ago that Apple would be The Man?

The reality is, most people have no idea this is even going on.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Palm isn't asking to use the iTunes store. Palm doesn't care if you bought the MP3s via the iTunes Store or not. Palm is merely offering users the option of using their existing media organization tools, no matter which one you decide to use, to move songs to their phone.

If there were enough users to justify Palm adding Zune Desktop functionality, then I'm sure they would. As it stands, more people use iTunes, so it's only logical for Palm to focus their resources on that.
    Which is exactly what I said, they only reasons why they are using iTunes is because it's popular. So why can't they also hack iTunes so I can use apps from the store on the Pre. After all aps are pretty popular. What if I bought apps from the app store but now have a Pre. I should be able to use the apps on the Pre and should be able to sync it. After all Palm is all for consumer choice right?
    Which is exactly what I said, they only reasons why they are using iTunes is because it's popular. So why can't they also hack iTunes so I can use apps from the store on the Pre. After all aps are pretty popular. What if I bought apps from the app store but now have a Pre. I should be able to use the apps on the Pre and should be able to sync it. After all Palm is all for consumer choice right?
    ******** analogy. Compare the user base of itunes users to the people that have application's from Apple's App store. Now you should also realize that Palm is not hacking into itunes to fix sync with it. It is fixing the Pre to work with itunes. I am sure if you wanted to get App's from Apple then you would have to hack into the App store so it will allow the Pre to have access to it's catalog. Palm can do nothing about this as this would be blatantly illegal. However their is nothing stated anywhere that says it is illegal to fix your own device so it can sync with another competitors software.
    Last edited by Slayix312; 10/03/2009 at 04:47 PM.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast